Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Got to play Spector Ops: Shadow of Babel last night with three players, myself being a hunter.

It's the new Plaid Hat game where a team of hunters try to track down an agent moving through a city completing objectives and then escaping from one of three exits at the end of the board. First impression, holy gently caress this is a big board and made me want to grab my grandmother's bingo marker because of the grid system used on it. The components were alright, the board is pretty despite all the numbered and lettered squares on it, the figurines are detailed however it's a real crazy cast of characters from a weird dog man to a physic mind bolt shooting dude. Everybody's got a few abilities on their character sheet that either lets them do their job better evade hunters/capture the agent. The agent also gets to outfit themselves with some gear that helps accomplish their goal like being able to throw stun grenades that makes affected hunters stunned for their turn ( decreased movement and unable to attack agent).

As far as mechanics, it starts out like playing a game of battleship where the Hunters move into an area to try and catch the agent in their line of sight in orthogonal directions so the agent could be one square diagonally away from a hunter and still not be seen. The agent gets a pad with the entire grid system and moves around the board on that pad and only reveals his character if they're in line of sight and the Hunters are always represented on the board. If the agent stops in the line of sight of the hunter he's revealed if he just passed through the line of sight he puts down a last seen token. If the agent is stopped in line of sight of the hunter you roll a D6 to wound the agent (4 wounds they're dead) the hunter needs a roll greater than the amount of spaces between the characters 1 is a always a wiff and on a 6 you get to re-roll and add the next result to your distance check so you could potentially hit someone 18 spaces away with three consecutive 6 rolls.(Can't kill a hunter)

I had a good time with it but it took too long to play, with just three people playing it took close to two hours to finish. Also, Every bit of the fun is in the finding of the agent and zero in catching him because the combat mechanic is super straight forward and not fun. I think after about three games of this I'd be bored because you're basically just moving your character around saying, "Do I see you?" and then the agent thoughtfully looking over their bingo sheet and saying,"Mmmmm....Nope." While it was a fun experience for the single play I don't have a desire to own this game, but I'd recommend if you see it laying around to give it a shot. I've never played Mr. Jack before but it seems that it might do all of this hiding bit better, don't know.

In a 5 player game there is also a traitor among the Hunters, maybe that is your thing.

B-

TL;DR A loooong cat and mouse game that comes up short in the catching but does ok in the hiding, fun for a few plays but nothing that has any staying power.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

T-Bone posted:

I think I was worried a little too much about food + I should have turned my cows into steaks earlier (I was harvesting for a long time but was mostly selling my bread for gold and my cows just kinda stat there for a while) which would have saved me some cash to use another players steelmill which might have got me another luxury ship. I also had a bunch of those buildings with the fishery icon but I only actually used the fishery once or twice so despite the VPs I got I think I should have paid more attention to the icon bonuses.

It definitely gets a little overwhelming at times but it's fun. I look forward to trying with 3.

It also depends which buildings come up, and how the other people play it. You won't get to use exactly the same strategy every game because you might not see the same buildings, unless everyone aggressively builds things as fast as possible.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
True -- I liked how you could see what was coming up too although it made the other new guy kind of APish.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Texibus posted:

I had a good time with it but it took too long to play, with just three people playing it took close to two hours to finish. Also, Every bit of the fun is in the finding of the agent and zero in catching him because the combat mechanic is super straight forward and not fun. I think after about three games of this I'd be bored because you're basically just moving your character around saying, "Do I see you?" and then the agent thoughtfully looking over their bingo sheet and saying,"Mmmmm....Nope." While it was a fun experience for the single play I don't have a desire to own this game, but I'd recommend if you see it laying around to give it a shot. I've never played Mr. Jack before but it seems that it might do all of this hiding bit better, don't know.

I played this and came away with the same reaction. Rolling for combat (combat in the first place?) loving blows. I don't even like the whole "haha I have tricks" because that doesn't make the game any more fun for the agents. Letters From Whitechapel works because the cops knows exactly what tricks Jack has but knowing what tricks he has literally doesn't help them any. In Spectre Ops it's another layer of random bullshit stuck between random combat resolution, in a game that is ostensibly about DEDUCTION. Everyone might as well roll to loving move.

If you want a similar but better game, check out Letters From Whitechapel. If you want a better deduction game than that, get Tragedy Looper.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
If you're going to throw combat in at least have it be a two way street so that the hunters take damage as well, but elimination in a two hour long game would also be poo poo.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Fury of Dracula has the same mistake: good hide & seek, crap combat. Just get Letters from Whitechapel and be done with it.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I wonder how many games would go from mediocre to good if they just had something more elegant for resolving combat

*stares into the distance, sheds a single tear*

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Eclipse and Virgin Queen right of the top of my head

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Eclipse and Virgin Queen right of the top of my head

eclipse is still good, but yeah less lovely combat would kick it from good to great in a hurry

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Played a new game last night called Cheaty Mages. It was interesting, probably shouldn't have drank so much and paid attention more. Seemed all right.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

seriously how hard is this, we've been doing this for half a century now

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fungah! posted:

eclipse is still good, but yeah less lovely combat would kick it from good to great in a hurry

Terra Mystica solves this problem.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Rutibex posted:

Terra Mystica solves this problem.

Tom, I love Terra Mystica but I don't know if removing combat entirely counts as less lovely combat.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Texibus posted:

TL;DR A loooong cat and mouse game that comes up short in the catching but does ok in the hiding, fun for a few plays but nothing that has any staying power.

While I agree with you on much of your review, after 5 games, I can say that I've never seen it go longer than our 1.5 hour first game. The agent turn should be no longer than 1 min, and the hunters should be no longer than a 1 min a piece. Turns are mostly just moving and/or a special action, so most of our turns are 30 seconds or so. There might be some time for thinking/discussion, but most of the time it boils down to short collaboration like, 'I know he is in this area so I'll watch the corner while you sniff him out'. I consider this a quick game.

I give it a A-. Rolling to hurt sucks but at least it is scalable to the main draw of the game: the deduction aspect. I don't know what the alternative would be. Honestly, with people who know the game, it lasts 45 mins or so. Usually it is a pretty good 45 minutes but I don't think I'll want to play it past ten plays. They would be a good ten plays, but by then everything will get repetitive. I'd recommend it as an 'upgrade from battleship' for people new to the hobby.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sonatinas posted:

Pro end game move with birds is move them all to glaciers on last turn to for max bonus points. You have to glaciate a lot though to make it happen.

He was asking for beginner strategies. That's what I gave him.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
How many people were you playing with? I could see this being quicker if you had someone staying in the car constantly doing motion detection.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 8, 2015

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Texibus posted:

How many people were you playing with? I could see this being quicker if you had someone staying in the car constantly doing motion detection.

2,3, and 4, but mostly 3. One dude (usually the gunner or puppet) would post up on the corner and not do much, but no one complained. Usually the player is participating in the conversation, and he doesn't need to be posted there for more than a turn or two until the agent is forced to make a move. You don't need to constantly motion detect, but doing it every few turns to make sure the agent is where you expect is important.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I could see it going quicker with that particular character and play style, we randomly took hunters.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Obviously the rest of the world is in love with Dead of Winter, but is there a gooncensus on the "best" zombie themed game on the market? Accepting the baggage that comes with that theme of course, and that they pretty much all are so-so to bad. What are the best/worst mechanics people have seen in them? I'm curious what it would take to make a genuinely good game with that theme.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Space Alert

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

People keep mentioning Mall of Horror/City of Horror but I haven't played them myself.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Tekopo posted:

People keep mentioning Mall of Horror/City of Horror but I haven't played them myself.

As an owner of City of Horror, I will say that I'm happy I only paid $20 for it. It is OK, but very cut throat so doesn't seem to play well with a wide variety of people.

In CoH the zombies are almost incidental. The players are who kills the other players characters, admittedly by feeding them to zombies, but the point stands. The game is man's inhumanity to man, the board game; though I strongly suspect that there are many other board games that do that theme better.

All in all CoH is the best zombie game, but still only a B+ game over-all.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I'd throw Zombie '15 out there. It's a real time turn-based co-op game where the game lasts 15 minutes long but you have to take turns, so you want to take your turn as fast as possible. There's a set of campaign rules, and you do a lot of scavenging for weapons.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tekopo posted:

What are your thoughts on Zombicide? You seem pretty passionate about it.

You can probably retheme a lot of games into "zombie games," since most games don't really do a whole lot with zombies besides have them as generic mooks to kill or appeal to a wider nerd audience. That is, it means about as much as Dungeons and Dragons does to Lords of Waterdeep.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

GrandpaPants posted:

You can probably retheme a lot of games into "zombie games," since most games don't really do a whole lot with zombies besides have them as generic mooks to kill or appeal to a wider nerd audience. That is, it means about as much as Dungeons and Dragons does to Lords of Waterdeep.

Pandemic is the best zombie game.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ojetor posted:

Pandemic is the best zombie game.

Agreed. Just pretend the diseases are different kinds of zombies.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Galaxy trucker would retheme great into a zombie game. Not that I'd want them to.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yomi, Puzzle Strike, and Flash Duel all have one and a half zombies in them, so they're probably the best Zombie games.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Since all zombie games being poo poo is a given, what is the best skeleton game?

I love me some skeletons.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Zombie game is too broad. There are many different types of game that covers.

For example Zombicide is basically Left 4 Dead: the board game but e.g. City or Mal of Horror is more a player versus player game where, as another poster put it, the zombies are almost incidental. They are both zombie games.

I broken record this a little but the old Dawn of the Dead board game is really good. You can print and play it. It's a little old school wargamey but unlike any other zombie game it really captured the feeling of gradually being painted into a desperate corner - the easy overconfidence that comes from being able to just so easily avoid zombies, it is easy not to take the danger they present seriously.

It can be played solo, co-op, or as one player playing the zombies (but imo that's the least exciting option)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Countblanc posted:

Yomi, Puzzle Strike, and Flash Duel all have one and a half zombies in them, so they're probably the best Zombie games.

And Battlecon has a dude that summons zombie metal fans.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Lichtenstein posted:

Since all zombie games being poo poo is a given, what is the best skeleton game?

If there was any way to just get Mr. Bones as a board game. One mechanic that hasn't been explored in gaming is blues guitar duels.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Mister Sinewave posted:

Zombie game is too broad. There are many different types of game that covers.

For example Zombicide is basically Left 4 Dead: the board game but e.g. City or Mal of Horror is more a player versus player game where, as another poster put it, the zombies are almost incidental. They are both zombie games.
City of Horror is Romero 100%. Slow zombies that are basically a black hole of death, but manageable when not cornered, hell is other people, hoarding goes against the group but increases your chances of survival, etc... for once in a zombie game, the mechanics reinforce the theme.

Lichtenstein posted:

Operation

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Lichtenstein posted:

DungeonQuest.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Lichtenstein posted:

Descent.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

In CoH the zombies are almost incidental. The players are who kills the other players characters, admittedly by feeding them to zombies, but the point stands. The game is man's inhumanity to man, the board game; though I strongly suspect that there are many other board games that do that theme better.

This is the only way zombie fiction works anyway. Zombies are boring as poo poo, since they are by definition mindless and predictable, so just combatting them is either boring or race war masturbation material.

Also, yes, Pandemic is the best Zombie game. Best actual zombie game would be Zombie Dice, because it's short and push-your-luck random. It's sitll bad though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Been playing a lot off solo Thunderstone Advance this week and I found a glaring issue and solution with the game design. When defeating monsters, instead of playing them like other cards from your deck, play them as constructs a la Ascension that stay out turn to turn. If you use their abilities in the dungeon or village, discard them like familiars. I was having far too many dead turns because I drew a few defeated monsters and weapons and had no heroes to use the weapons with, and didn't need to buy from the village anymore.

It's a good solution that gets the clunkininess out of your deck after the first draw. The game is much more fun this way. I haven't tried the epic or other variations yet, so I can't speak to the balance of this in those modes.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 8, 2015

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Bottom Liner posted:

Been playing a lot of Thunderstone Advance this week and I found a glaring issue and solution with the game design. When defeating monsters, instead of playing them like other cards from your deck, play them as constructs a la Ascension that stay out turn to turn. I was having far too many dead turns because I drew a few defeated monsters and weapons and had no heroes to use the weapons with, and didn't need to buy from the village anymore.

It's a good solution that gets the clunkininess out of your deck after the first draw. The game is much more fun this way. I haven't tried the epic or other variations yet, so I can't speak to the balance of this in those modes.

I assume you haven't played Dominion? This is literally the best part of Dominion and one of the major reasons Ascension, et al are pretty bad.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

What are your thoughts on Zombicide? You seem pretty passionate about it.
:geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Ready to get rid of the avatar yet?