Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Riptor posted:

That's right you should never come to conclusions based on evidence

Wow, that is exactly what I said!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Realtalk: don't campaign on Bernie as a lost-cause presidential candidate because the entire point of Bernie's campaign isn't to win the white house. Campaign for it as what it is, a chance to see your beliefs represented in political discourse and pull the tone of conversation in your direction.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Voyager I posted:

I agree, taking away what little the working classes have is truly the path towards a better tomorrow.

Like are your two choices "literally ronpauling for Bernie" or "gently caress it, a better society will rise from the ashes"?

If you want to know what I think about societal change, it's that it's going to come from the reorganization of labor and a resurgence in the unions. Without that you won't have a consistent class identity for people to rally around and you won't have the kind of tribal group participation that really gets people's blood up and willing to fight for change. As it is, the average worker in this country doesn't have a unifying class identity and looks at all politicians as crooked. I agree that you can't vote capitalism away. It's going to take labor unrest similar to what we saw in the early 20th century for real change. I'm not saying bloody revolution and then Full Communism, but I do think that it is going to take physical resistance on the part of the worker.

Part of that in my book is getting candidates like Sanders as much airtime/exposure as possible because it contributes toward the class discussion. I'm not convinced that if he's put in office he'll be able to sweeping change the country and make the houses do what he wants, but it will be a sign that people are really ready to have a class discussion. I don't think that rallying for candidates like Hillary is going to strike the same chords with the working classes that need to be struck. Social justice isn't going to be handed down from on high by establishment politicians no matter how sweet their intentions are.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Voyager I posted:

This sort of oligarchical overlord conspiracy overlooks the fact that the kind of people with the ambition to go for the presidency tend to not be so great at things like sharing power and keeping their egos in check.

You're seeing conspiracy theories where none were put forward.

quote:

Voting idealism over pragmatism sure worked great in 2000 and the world is definitely a better place because of it.

And following it up with what as far as I can tell is nonsense, and seems likely to be a factually unsupportable jab at Nader voters with the implication they cost Gore the election. Well done?

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Venom Snake posted:

You keep posting the same thing over and over again. Nobody here honestly likes HRC more than Bernie, you are arguing with someone who does not exist.

Then what's with the defeatism?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

jarofpiss posted:

If you want to know what I think about societal change, it's that it's going to come from the reorganization of labor and a resurgence in the unions. Without that you won't have a consistent class identity for people to rally around and you won't have the kind of tribal group participation that really gets people's blood up and willing to fight for change. As it is, the average worker in this country doesn't have a unifying class identity and looks at all politicians as crooked. I agree that you can't vote capitalism away. It's going to take labor unrest similar to what we saw in the early 20th century for real change. I'm not saying bloody revolution and then Full Communism, but I do think that it is going to take physical resistance on the part of the worker.

Part of that in my book is getting candidates like Sanders as much airtime/exposure as possible because it contributes toward the class discussion. I'm not convinced that if he's put in office he'll be able to sweeping change the country and make the houses do what he wants, but it will be a sign that people are really ready to have a class discussion. I don't think that rallying for candidates like Hillary is going to strike the same chords with the working classes that need to be struck. Social justice isn't going to be handed down from on high by establishment politicians no matter how sweet their intentions are.

To get nominated Bernie Sanders would have to be establishment. You don't get elected in a 2 party system by being anti-establishment. Thinking that what the Dems right now need is a Tea Party 2.0 is insane because the tea party has done nothing but make things go from bad to worse for the Republicans.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Wheeee posted:

I think some people just need to accept that you can't vote away capitalism. There is no means aside from waiting for some form of societal collapse to begin fundamentally changing the system, not even Bernie could do much more than Hillary in that regard should he win.

Which is why direct action on top of voting in every election you can is also a good idea. Does anyone think the Justice Department would be investigating the Baltimore PD or would have investigated Ferguson and uncovered their horrendously racist police driven revenue system if there weren't massive protests and a little bit of violence to get the country's attention? Do you think Hillary would be mentioning police and judicial reform if things didn't get to the point where state national guard units had to patrol the streets in two American cities?

I'm not calling for outright armed revolution to overthrow capitalism here because that will never work the way people fantasize it would, but direct action isn't always as useless or counterproductive as cynics think it is.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I think Hillary would be much more effective at implementing policy than Sanders, and that policy would be farther to the left than the status quo.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

jarofpiss posted:

Then what's with the defeatism?

Saying "I could not be Manny Pacquiao in a fight" isn't defeatism, it's reality.

"Bernie will not get the nomination"isn't defeatism, it's reality. It sucks! Reality often does suck.

Please don't vote republican/not vote in the general election.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.nationaljournal.com/2016-elections/here-are-all-eight-media-questions-hillary-clinton-has-answered-during-her-campaign-20150427

I think this is a hilarious article.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
There are a whole lot of psychics in this thread.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Under the vegetable posted:

Just in general, how often do you think a party's nomination goes to someone who has never been elected as a member of that party

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Under the vegetable posted:

I forgot how bad these threads got during the run up to the presidential election. More than a year to go!

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
I would love if Bernie won, and will vote for him in the primary, but don't think he can win there. That said, the masturbatory defeatism in this thread from some of you is downright offensive. Being pessimistic is fine, but you're being smug about it for no god drat reason.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Glenn Zimmerman posted:

Oh come on, really? You really don't think donations affect a persons behavior? So you're fine with our current system of PACs and corporations throwing money at candidates? Large speaking fees? You don't find this slightly corrupt at all?

And for clarification I was actually referring to her campaign donations (see that image) and articles like this:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/04/hillary-clintons-wall-street-backers-we-get-it-117017.html

where-in Wall street types, when interviewed, still consider Hillary their candidate and that all the populist rhetoric is hot air. She could be playing them of course, but I can't think of a single example of that happening with any other politician.

Let's not forget that Hillary raised $200 million for the 2008 primary. The finance sector was a relatively small overall portion of that. And she is a New York-based Senator, so no surprise that the top NY donors were backing her. While I agree that money has a corrupting influence in politics, the idea that she is beholden to these folks because of what is less than 1% of her total fundraising is absurd.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Could you name for me one or two significant advantages you expect Bernie to have over Hillary in the primary and explain why you think that will be enough to give him a serious chance at victory?

An Angry Bug posted:

I would love if Bernie won, and will vote for him in the primary, but don't think he can win there. That said, the masturbatory defeatism in this thread from some of you is downright offensive. Being pessimistic is fine, but you're being smug about it for no god drat reason.

We aren't proud, it's just annoying when people act like believing in a candidate who can't win makes them somehow superior.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Zelder posted:

Saying "I could not be Manny Pacquiao in a fight" isn't defeatism, it's reality.

"Bernie will not get the nomination"isn't defeatism, it's reality. It sucks! Reality often does suck.

I wasn't going to vote period until I heard Bernie Sanders was running. I'm in no danger of voting republican, but I do have a problem voting establishment because the republican stick is the alternative and it might clobber me if I don't.

I live in Texas though so what's the point, right guys? It's a foregone red state so really I should give up now.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I would like to consider the serious electoral chances of FDR's corpse rising from the grave and running for President.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

jarofpiss posted:

I wasn't going to vote period until I heard Bernie Sanders was running. I'm in no danger of voting republican, but I do have a problem voting establishment because the republican stick is the alternative and it might clobber me if I don't.

I live in Texas though so what's the point, right guys? It's a foregone red state so really I should give up now.

"Things won't get better enough, so I guess I'll just let them get worse!"

I wasn't around for the Paulites. Were they this bad?

Venom Snake posted:

I would like to consider the serious electoral chances of FDR's corpse rising from the grave and running for President.

FDRisen would probably be an unironic powerhouse candidate as long as he still had human-looking skin.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

jarofpiss posted:

Voting is very fun and should be done by everybody, provided their boss lets them off of work.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

jarofpiss posted:

The purpler Texas gets, the more resources are likely to be invested in turning it blue (with the hopeful demographic shifts), and the higher morale is likely to be with the actual folks on the ground working toward that end.

It'd obviously be more useful for you to actually contribute materially to Democratic registration and GOTV efforts and so on, but your vote is not entirely bereft of use.

That said, I personally am more interested in voting in the primary, which you definitely should too - I'll be voting in the GOP primary but if you're stoked about Bernie and absolutely nothing else, may as well cast a vote to pull the Democratic party a teensy bit further left.

Also,

PupsOfWar posted:

Voting is very fun and should be done by everybody, provided their boss lets them off of work.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

While we're at it, vote in every primary you are legally able to, not just in presidential primaries. Also be sure to vote in local podunk races and off-year municipal elections where like 700 people bother to show up and drag those leftward with your much less diluted ballot.

What you shouldn't do is volunteer and get all amped up for Saint Bernie only to pout and stamp your feet and swear off politics and the Democratic Party when he more than likely does not make it past Super Tuesday. This does less than no good because it gives Hillary the cover to reach rightward since the left base is obviously a bunch of worthless babies who can't be counted on for anything.

Yeah, definitely vote every time it comes up for every position available. I mean just watch the news, you are seeing local candidates win by 15 votes in elections that had 41 people show up. The small races and in particular the small primaries matter a hell of a lot.

I'm starting to come around to the idea that when volunteering you should prioritize local races over big ones as well. Yeah city-county council and state auditor aren't as sexy as house representative and president, but you have a hell of a lot more impact. It's also seeming to be a better way to build the networks that can percolate up to those higher levels

Basically there isn't a silver bullet, or a final victory, or one for all the marbles where if you can just win this election things will be great forever. You have to win, and then stay engaged to push your agenda, and then win again to cement your agenda, and then stay engaged to defend your agenda, and then win to get the next group of politicians to accept your agenda as the new status quo, and then remain engaged to build your coalition to push someone higher up the food chain... It is a very long, very tedious process, but it's about the only way to get things done.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Jesus christ, it's okay for people to vote for the candidate they want. Browbeating them isn't going to change their vote to your Very Serious candidate, it's going to drive them away from the party and maybe from voting at all.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Voyager I posted:

Much, much worse, actually. LF was originally created so we could get rid of the bastards who were poisoning just about every thread with Paulshevism.

Bernie boosting isn't even close, or all that comparable really.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Feather posted:

And following it up with what as far as I can tell is nonsense, and seems likely to be a factually unsupportable jab at Nader voters with the implication they cost Gore the election. Well done?

Er, it's entirely factually supported. Nader did cost Gore the election. Exit polls showed Nader supporters were vastly more supportive of Gore than Bush. Nader received nearly 100,000 votes in Florida. Gore only needed to net 1k more votes from that 100k pile than Bush to win the election. Even if 90% of Nader's voters did not show up to vote without him on the ballot, Gore still would have won. There are actually very few situations in electoral politics in which the spoiler effect is more obviously detected.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Zelder posted:

A vote for Hillary is a vote for republican-lite policy, even if it's not for the paint-drinking far-right that forms the base of the republican party today.

I agree that Bernie's a long shot (to put it mildly), but it's a bit silly to be motivated by fear. There is ample reason for many on the left to fear a Hillary presidency, although perhaps not the same degree or for the same reasons one should fear a $RepublicanCandidate presidency. One reason in particular: it further advances the meme that empathetic rhetoric and lip service has meaning, and that we should consider it important enough to decide our vote.

Concerned Citizen posted:

Er, it's entirely factually supported. Nader did cost Gore the election. Exit polls showed Nader supporters were vastly more supportive of Gore than Bush. Nader received nearly 100,000 votes in Florida. Gore only needed to net 1k more votes from that 100k pile than Bush to win the election. Even if 90% of Nader's voters did not show up to vote without him on the ballot, Gore still would have won. There are actually very few situations in electoral politics in which the spoiler effect is more obviously detected.

That ignores the fact that more democrats voted for Bush than all of Nader's votes combined. There is nothing "obvious" about any spoiler effect in this case. If you want a better example of genuine spoiler effects, look to the clownshow of the Perot/Bush/Clinton '92 election. Nader is at best a meaningless footnote of 2000, no matter how cherry-picked the data.

Feather fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 8, 2015

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

wow talking about the Democratic primary in the primary thread, these Bernie Ron Paulites are insane!!

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Voyager I posted:

I'm not an accelerationist. I've spent enough of my life in the past ruining my health worrying about establishment politics. I now see a candidate I actually believe in and I'm willing to subject myself to this nightmare again to work to get this guy elected. If he doesn't, and despite my best efforts, America chooses to go back to the status quo approved hellhole that it has chosen in the past, then I'll concentrate my efforts on building class awareness among the people I talk to every day in the hope that that's something positive I can put out in the world.

I'm not going to take in the constant negativity and bullshit that gives me anxiety and makes me depressed for an establishment candidate, sorry guys.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Venom Snake posted:

To get nominated Bernie Sanders would have to be establishment. You don't get elected in a 2 party system by being anti-establishment. Thinking that what the Dems right now need is a Tea Party 2.0 is insane because the tea party has done nothing but make things go from bad to worse for the Republicans.
"Joke candidate" Bernie raised more money in 24 hours than "serious candidate" Marco Rubio and is on track to out raise 2007 "serious candidate" John Edwards. If he was willing to set up a superPAC he'd probably be looking to beat more "serious candidates" overall this cycle as well.

Bernie not being taken seriously as a candidate is something on a whole different level of what is wrong with the media than being establishment or anti establishment.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Feather posted:

A vote for Hillary is a vote for republican-lite policy, even if it's not for the paint-drinking far-right that forms the base of the republican party today.

I agree that Bernie's a long shot (to put it mildly), but it's a bit silly to be motivated by fear. There is ample reason for many on the left to fear a Hillary presidency, although perhaps not the same degree or for the same reasons one should fear a $RepublicanCandidate presidency. One reason in particular: it further advances the meme that empathetic rhetoric and lip service has meaning, and that we should consider it important enough to decide our vote.

The idea that Hillary is "Republican lite" is absurd. You guys focus on like two or three issues and then generalize them to create a picture. She's always been farther to the left than Bill, and she has drifted to the left over the past decade. Is she a centrist? Sure. Is she "Republican lite?" I think that's stretching it, considering she was generally a reliable vote for the center-left in the Senate and an advocate for policies farther to the left in the Clinton administration.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Voyager I posted:

Could you name for me one or two significant advantages you expect Bernie to have over Hillary in the primary and explain why you think that will be enough to give him a serious chance at victory?

A nonzero amount of people are excited about the prospect of him being the president, at least.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

"Joke candidate" Bernie raised more money in 24 hours than "serious candidate" Marco Rubio and is on track to out raise 2007 "serious candidate" John Edwards. If he was willing to set up a superPAC he'd probably be looking to beat more "serious candidates" overall this cycle as well.

Bernie not being taken seriously as a candidate is something on a whole different level of what is wrong with the media than being establishment or anti establishment.

Going by 24 hour fundraising Ron Paul really will be President after all!

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Feather posted:

That ignores the fact that more democrats voted for Bush than all of Nader's votes combined. There is nothing "obvious" about any spoiler effect in this case. If you want a better example of genuine spoiler effects, look to the clownshow of the Perot/Bush/Clinton '92 election. Nader is at best a meaningless footnote of 2000, no matter how cherry-picked the data.

That doesn't ignore anything. Your statistic has zero relevance to the fact at hand: if Nader was not on the Florida ballot, Al Gore would have won enough votes from Nader voters to win the election. What you're talking about only reflects the South's realignment away from Republican politics at the federal level during that time.

Exit polls showed Nader voters favored Gore. There were overwhelmingly enough votes to swing the election. Statistics don't lie. The spoiler was real. Not to mention that Nader deliberately campaigned in Florida to take as many Gore votes as possible.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
As least the Ron Paul supporters genuinely wanted their candidate, instead of being cynical assholes about it. I mean, they're selfish cynical assholes about lots of things, but not this one.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If Gore didn't run a terrible campaign and lose tons of Floridian Democratic voters to Bush he would have won too.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

That doesn't ignore anything. Your statistic has zero relevance to the fact at hand: if Nader was not on the Florida ballot, Al Gore would have won enough votes from Nader voters to win the election. What you're talking about only reflects the South's realignment away from Republican politics at the federal level during that time.
Maybe the Democratic Party shouldn't have been shittily centrist enough to create a serious enough challenge from the left to lose them an election

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Maybe the Democratic Party shouldn't have been shittily centrist enough to create a serious enough challenge from the left to lose them an election :shock:

Even if the Democratic Party was too centrist, Nader still spoiled the election. That's the point. If Nader hadn't been on the ballot, George W. Bush would not have won and a lot of people would not have died. And frankly, even if the party had run to the left, there's no guarantee they still would not have been vulnerable to a challenge from the left (or lost more votes from the center than they would have gained).

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Maybe the Democratic Party shouldn't have been shittily centrist enough to create a serious enough challenge from the left to lose them an election

Seriously, what is with this "yeah but the democrats don't beat the working class as hard as the republicans so that's got to count for something"

I want a left government, not a lovely centrist one.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

The idea that Hillary is "Republican lite" is absurd.

But but but she voted for a war once. :ohdear: And there are banks donating to the campaign of a Presidental frontrunner! That's scandalous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Unless Bernie is going to keep running against Hillary after losing the primary, this is all irrelevant bullshit and you're just using this as an excuse to poo poo on people for not being jaded enough.

• Locked thread