Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

StashAugustine posted:

It's not an interesting History Guy Simulator if there's no rules to the simulation

Mods change my name to History Guy Simulator thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Odobenidae posted:

I always use retinues as soon as I can get them and I've never been bankrupted by them. :shrug:

You can only rack up the ridiculous 60 gold/month reinforcement cost when you're big enough to be an empire. You don't need to be a merchant republic to afford retinues, even if you're beelining the military organization tech you're not going to somehow be able to have a retinue limit larger than you can afford. Anyone complaining about how much retinues cost is a big baby. The game was fundamentally broken before the patch fixed them.

But it is weird the way this cost seems to be scaled to the total size of your retinues, not to the amount you are reinforcing.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

But it is weird the way this cost seems to be scaled to the total size of your retinues, not to the amount you are reinforcing.

are you sure? I thought the levy screen tooltip was wrong and didn't reflect the actual amount deducted from your income, which was flat per retinue unit reinforcing

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Excelzior posted:

are you sure? I thought the levy screen tooltip was wrong and didn't reflect the actual amount deducted from your income, which was flat per retinue unit reinforcing

Im not 100% sure, but in my experience, it seems to be that way.

In my last game, by the end I had around 20K total retinues. I had to stop using then completely because after losing even 1 or 2K I would have to endure some months loosing 50-60 G per month.

On my current game, I have nearly 2K and even losing half of it the cost is never that nearly that absurd (if it was, I would be bankrupt already, because my income is around 13G)

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

The game is definitely not very clear on showing you why that would happen, but it makes sense if you look into the way combat works.

For example you have two retinue armies come out of a battle where they've lost 500 men: (For the sake of this example retinue subunits are 500 men and cost 2 gold/month each to reinforce at full speed)

Army 1 posted:

9500/10000 men
Each retinue unit has 475/500 men
20 units reinforcing for 2 gold/month = 40 gold/month

Army 2 posted:

500/1000 men
Each retinue unit has 250/500 men
2 units reinforcing for 2 gold/month = 4 gold/month

The enemy would have killed 500 men in both cases, but they attack all the subunits in the army at once. This leaves the army with more subunits to cost much more initially, but the reinforcing would be done in 2-3 months. In the smaller army the cost would be much lower, but it would also take much longer to fully reinforce it back to full strength.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 8, 2015

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!
So I just had a random courtier successfully assassinate not one, or two but three of my spy masters in a row. All three of the were at 24 intrigue, she however was at 23 but she was both ambitious and wanted to become my spymaster, she really really wanted to become my spymaster. Is this normal? If so I love it, girl has drive.

Edit: Made her my spymaster and turns out she's amazing, I was gonna start a plot to kill my wife and it turns out she was already on it! I am sure this is not a sign of anything to come in the near future no sirree.

Edit2: Hahahaha.... her new wish is to marry a ruler.

Sir PigglyWiggly fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 8, 2015

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Ambitious and Diligent are two of the best traits any counsellor or vassal can have, if you want them actually accomplish poo poo. They lower the mean time to happen on events by a huge amount and leads to all sorts of cool stuff, including your very own assassination!

Zealous for court chaplains as well.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Mods change my name to History Guy Simulator thanks.

Not before you tell us what Hitler's gay secret was.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Shadeoses posted:

Not before you tell us what Hitler's gay secret was.

He was gay

Shions of Qud

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
So I just formed Ireland into a merchant republic starting in 769. Had all the counties in my dynasty, split Ulster between my Patrician families. My first Doge was incredibly hated by the end, after cracking down on every landed character in the kingdom. Naturally I lost the first election on his death from old age a year later. New Doge ended up with nothing but his family's county in Ulster and the duchy of Meath. Immediately a peasant revolt breaks out in Kildare, with 5x more men than the levies of our entire kingdom. We lose Kildare, and a couple months later it has a Fraticelli uprising. Turns into a theocracy. Suddenly, they declare war on the republic with overwhelming numbers. Levies are still down to nothing and we're all still poor from converting from tribal. How screwed am I? Will they just keep on conquering me county by county until my 2 gold a month gives me enough money to hire a mercenary company?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Deific Presence posted:

So I just formed Ireland into a merchant republic starting in 769. Had all the counties in my dynasty, split Ulster between my Patrician families. My first Doge was incredibly hated by the end, after cracking down on every landed character in the kingdom. Naturally I lost the first election on his death from old age a year later. New Doge ended up with nothing but his family's county in Ulster and the duchy of Meath. Immediately a peasant revolt breaks out in Kildare, with 5x more men than the levies of our entire kingdom. We lose Kildare, and a couple months later it has a Fraticelli uprising. Turns into a theocracy. Suddenly, they declare war on the republic with overwhelming numbers. Levies are still down to nothing and we're all still poor from converting from tribal. How screwed am I? Will they just keep on conquering me county by county until my 2 gold a month gives me enough money to hire a mercenary company?

You could have been the king.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

So I just had a random courtier successfully assassinate not one, or two but three of my spy masters in a row. All three of the were at 24 intrigue, she however was at 23 but she was both ambitious and wanted to become my spymaster, she really really wanted to become my spymaster. Is this normal? If so I love it, girl has drive.

Edit: Made her my spymaster and turns out she's amazing, I was gonna start a plot to kill my wife and it turns out she was already on it! I am sure this is not a sign of anything to come in the near future no sirree.

You know what to do, that kind of relentless ambition has to be rewarded. After all, that poor girl has worked so hard to stab her way into your ruler's heart. (first figuratively, then literally)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Odobenidae posted:

The game is definitely not very clear on showing you why that would happen, but it makes sense if you look into the way combat works.

For example you have two retinue armies come out of a battle where they've lost 500 men: (For the sake of this example retinue subunits are 500 men and cost 2 gold/month each to reinforce at full speed)

The enemy would have killed 500 men in both cases, but they attack all the subunits in the army at once. This leaves the army with more subunits to cost much more initially, but the reinforcing would be done in 2-3 months. In the smaller army the cost would be much lower, but it would also take much longer to fully reinforce it back to full strength.

Thank you for the explanation.

Kinda makes sense now, but still, the effect is that it is a lot more expensive to reinforce a big retinue than a small one even if you are reinforcing the same amount of soldiers, which dont make a lot of sense IMHO.

Now here is my uncle:

He was a bit shy, but surely he had his way with the ladies. 23 children (most of then bastards) and he died kinda young (55)

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 8, 2015

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

You know she's gonna freak the gently caress out and stab you next if you don't marry her. That bitch is crazy.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Deific Presence posted:

I won't say you're irrevocably hosed, but...you might be irrevocably hosed. None of those things are the death knell of a merchant republic on their own, but everything happening in sequence like that might've screwed you over. Then again, people come back from all sorts of dire situations in this game all the time, so maybe go for it. Can you borrow money from the Jews to hire enough mercenaries to fend off the zealots?

Should you decide to start over, next time don't land any of your patrician families (by this I assume you meant the other four families that you see when you pull up the republic screen). Landing them gives them more money and prestige to use against you in the election and doesn't benefit you in the slightest. Also don't land any of your family members, as that detracts from the number of trade posts you can build.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Elias_Maluco posted:

A lot people say that unironically but if it was true, it would be a very poor RPG game. There's just not enough possible interactions between characters for it to be an RPG game. And you still spend most of your time dealing with wars and expansion.

I do kind of wish that, when it comes time to do so, paradox will make CK3 even more character based. Some people recommended going as far as changing the perspective to something more like a total war game that's focused on a single character. I'm not entirely sure about going that far, but I would really like it if they made is so that the overall perspective is more focused on your character and the place he's currently at. They should also change events so that there are a lot less of them, but the event chains that are left are far detailed and open ended, with more endings and possibilities depending on your character's traits, but now I'm just talking about my personal desires and not what a lot of people seem to generally agree with.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Wafflecopper posted:

You know she's gonna freak the gently caress out and stab you next if you don't marry her. That bitch is crazy.

Or calmly stab you as soon as she has a son if you do marry her. Your best hope is make her court chaplain instead and pack her off to Norseland to proselytize. (I assume we're talking Cathar here since otherwise a woman can only be spymaster if she's your wife or mother. Either that or the guy who brought this up didn't realize the "random courtier" was his current character's widowed mother still hanging around the court.)

Edit: Speaking of which I just did a couple quick Cathar runs for the lulz and Cathars are still pretty overpowered if you can manage to get a foothold as one without getting holy warred to death while your realm is still small (this is tricky.) Doubling your pool of potential councilors and commanders (and people you can give titles to, if you go Absolute Cognatic) is pretty drat powerful. You lose access to pope claims (but can holy war anyone anytime) and can't participate in Crusades (and will get Crusades called against you if you take something the Pope likes to have) but it's definitely the best Christian heresy.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 8, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I got a choice to go Cathar at one point, but it just wasn't the right time. I was still converting tribes into castles, I had just gotten the megaduke into my bloodline, and I definitely didn't have the manpower to hold off Francia if they got snippy. Maybe next century. OF course, if I got Cathar, the Pope will wind up calling the Third Crusade for Lombardy. poo poo's been ridiculous.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Eric the Mauve posted:

Edit: Speaking of which I just did a couple quick Cathar runs for the lulz and Cathars are still pretty overpowered if you can manage to get a foothold as one without getting holy warred to death while your realm is still small (this is tricky.) Doubling your pool of potential councilors and commanders (and people you can give titles to, if you go Absolute Cognatic) is pretty drat powerful. You lose access to pope claims (but can holy war anyone anytime) and can't participate in Crusades (and will get Crusades called against you if you take something the Pope likes to have) but it's definitely the best Christian heresy.

Messalian is objectively the best Christian heresy :colbert: You can't beat "My Sister-Wife Court Chaplain is pregnant, praise Lucifer!"

(you also can't beat the Muslims who hold literally every Messalian holy site)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

VerdantSquire posted:

I do kind of wish that, when it comes time to do so, paradox will make CK3 even more character based. Some people recommended going as far as changing the perspective to something more like a total war game that's focused on a single character. I'm not entirely sure about going that far, but I would really like it if they made is so that the overall perspective is more focused on your character and the place he's currently at. They should also change events so that there are a lot less of them, but the event chains that are left are far detailed and open ended, with more endings and possibilities depending on your character's traits, but now I'm just talking about my personal desires and not what a lot of people seem to generally agree with.

The problem is that too much of the "RPG stuff" and character interactions is limited to events, not actions you decide to take. Like, I can decide to declare a war or to give a title. But I cant decide to be friends to someone, I have to wait for a random event. The actions that you can actually choose are very limited, and not that different from the ones you have in EU, for example (declare wars, ask for marriages, give money etc). Things got a little better after WoL, but is still very limited.

It would be cool if we could actually interact with your court members beyond this very basic diplomatic actions and choosing an option in a random event. Invite people to parties or hunts, insult then, slander then, things like that, but as actions you can choose to do, not options in random events.

It would be cool if we could choose courtiers to carry on diplomatic (offer marriages, deals, invitations) and plot related missions (assassinations and etc), instead of the former being carried anonymously and the later by someone randomly selected. The success of the mission would be based on the courtier skills and his/her relation to you and the target.

It would be could if we could actually deal with characters, like: I give you this title, you support my heir; you come to my court, Ill give you 100G and make you my chancellor etc, instead of every decision being based on opinion and fixed modifiers.

These are the kind of stuff I wish to see in CK3

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Elias_Maluco posted:

It would be could if we could actually deal with characters, like: I give you this title, you support my heir; you come to my court, Ill give you 100G and make you my chancellor etc, instead of every decision being based on opinion and fixed modifiers.

These are the kind of stuff I wish to see in CK3

Yeah that would be nice.

I want to be able to threaten people too, it's dumb that some count from a neighboring kingdom is able to plot to kill me and I can't go to their liege and go 'check it out I'm going to invade the gently caress out of you if you don't get that fool under control.' Especially when you're a massive empire threatening some 4 province minor.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

jfood posted:

Ambitious and Diligent are two of the best traits any counsellor or vassal can have, if you want them actually accomplish poo poo. They lower the mean time to happen on events by a huge amount and leads to all sorts of cool stuff, including your very own assassination!

Zealous for court chaplains as well.

You don't want your spymaster to be ambitious!

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

Just FYI she will kill all your current children so her kids will inherit, but if your current kids are jerks this is not a bad thing.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Torrannor posted:

You don't want your spymaster to be ambitious!

You people really don't understand fun. If you want a hundred and fifty tech-points in a month, you need an ambitious spymaster. If you want to fabricate a ducal level claim in the space of a few weeks, you need an ambitious chancellor. If you're not rocking a poo poo leader with garbage stats and a massive short-reign penalty, ambitious counsellors are the way to go. A small gift and a bullshit honourary title are usually more than sufficient to keep them from stabbing you up. Most of the time.

monster on a stick posted:

Just FYI she will kill all your current children so her kids will inherit, but if your current kids are jerks this is not a bad thing.

This is what fun looks like, if anyone was curious.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
This is a really loving weird question, but If I'm incorporating the Kingdoms of Nevarra and Andalusia into the Kindgom of Castille and I create the Empire of Hispania, will they stop incorporating?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I don't think so, since the titles still don't exist.

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!
To all the people warning me about her killing me, my children ect. good news! She died of syphilis and now I need to start inviting random 20 plus intrigue courtiers to my realm once again, because she killed most of them.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I think it will stop incorporating since the kingdom stops being your primary title when you become emperor, but i'm also not 100 % sure... I seem to remember having to wait with becoming emperor until i was happy with my dejure kingdom.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Back To 99 posted:

I think it will stop incorporating since the kingdom stops being your primary title when you become emperor, but i'm also not 100 % sure... I seem to remember having to wait with becoming emperor until i was happy with my dejure kingdom.

correct. titles will only de jure drift into and out of your primary title.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

To all the people warning me about her killing me, my children ect. good news! She died of syphilis and now I need to start inviting random 20 plus intrigue courtiers to my realm once again, because she killed most of them.
When you play the game of thrones, you either win or you randomly catch syphilis.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

So yeah my vassals were favoring some random cousin in the rear end-end of Moray who had <8 in every stat (half were 0) instead of my sexy-rear end Genius third son who was also married to a Genius (also the daughter of my main political headache).

30 years of hilarious Spy On shenanigans later, all my vassals corrected their opinions.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

So yeah my vassals were favoring some random cousin in the rear end-end of Moray who had <8 in every stat (half were 0) instead of my sexy-rear end Genius third son who was also married to a Genius (also the daughter of my main political headache).

30 years of hilarious Spy On shenanigans later, all my vassals corrected their opinions.

Can we start a betting pool on when your genius son will die of the clap?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm having a weird bug where some decisions just don't show up. I can't hold tournaments or feasts or go on pilgrimages but I can castrate/blind prisoners.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

FreudianSlippers posted:

I can't hold tournaments or feasts or go on pilgrimages

You do know you have to be at peace for the first two (all three?) and have the theology focus for the third, right?

Feasts and tournaments might require it to be a specific time of year too, I don't remember for sure.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

You do know you have to be at peace for the first two (all three?) and have the theology focus for the third, right?

Feasts and tournaments might require it to be a specific time of year too, I don't remember for sure.
The latter should still be present, just not clickable.

Ertu ennžį kristinn, FreudianSlippers? Heišingjar hafa nįnast ekkert af žessu ~einhverra hluta vegna~ eša kannski var žaš summer fairs

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I have the theology focus and am very much Christian. I could hold a tournament and go on pilgramages with every character until suddenly I couldn't any more.

Heišingjar fį aš sigla į įm og fórna fólki ķ blótum, sem jafnar žetta svoldiš śt. Aš minnsta kosti įsatrśar nįungarnir, hinir fį ekki neitt žvķ žeir eru ekki nęgilega merkilegir eša eitthvaš.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

monster on a stick posted:

Can we start a betting pool on when your genius son will die of the clap?

Too late.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
How do i make a foreign king accept guardianship of my son? I'm guessing he just a needs a high opinion of me, but i've also seen a "happy to take hostage" modifier that i don't know when applies. Maybe when the AI is expecting a war soon?
The ward system is the one thing i remember working better in CK1.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
Has anyone ever seen the event that removes celibate actually fire?

code:
character_event = {
        id = 3520
        desc = EVTDESC3520
        picture = GFX_evt_quarrel

min_age = 16
        capable_only = yes
        prisoner = no

is_triggered_only = yes

trigger = {
                trait = celibate
                war = no
                in_command = no
                fertility = 0.4
                has_lover = no
                religion_group = christian
                OR = {
                        trait = chaste
                        piety = 50
                        trait = humble
                }
                is_married = yes
                spouse = {
                        is_alive = yes
                        is_abroad = no
                        prisoner = no
                        has_lover = no
                        is_pregnant = no
                        OR = {
                                trait = lustful
                                trait = hedonist
                                NOT = {
                                        trait = chaste
                                }
                                NOT = {
                                        trait = celibate
                                }
                        }
                }
        }

weight_multiplier = {
                factor = 1

modifier = {
                        factor = 0.5
                        trait = wroth
                }

modifier = {
                        factor = 2
                        diplomacy = 8
                }
        }

option = {
                name = EVTOPTA3520
                piety = 10
                spouse = {
                        character_event = {
                                id = 3521
                                days = 2
                                tooltip = EVTTOOLTIP3521
                        }
                        opinion = {
                                modifier = opinion_spurned
                                who = ROOT
                                years = 5
                        }
                }
        }
        option = {
                name = EVTOPTB3520
                remove_trait = celibate
                piety = -10
                spouse = {
                        add_lover = ROOT
                }
        }
        option = {
                name = EVTOPTC3520
                trigger = {
                        fertility = 0.5
                        OR = {
                                spouse = {
                                        is_alive = yes
                                        is_abroad = no
                                        fertility = 0.5
                                        reverse_opinion = { who = ROOT value = 30 }
                                }
                                spouse = {
                                        is_alive = yes
                                        is_abroad = no
                                        fertility = 0.5
                                        opinion = { who = ROOT value = 30 }
                                }
                        }
                }
                remove_trait = celibate
                piety = -10
                spouse = {
                        add_lover = ROOT
                }
                random = {
                        chance = 20
                        random_spouse = {
                                limit = {
                                        OR = {
                                                ROOT = {
                                                        is_female = yes
                                                        NOT = { age = 45 }
                                                        fertility = 0.2
                                                }
                                                AND = {
                                                        is_female = yes
                                                        NOT = { age = 45 }
                                                        fertility = 0.2
                                                }
                                        }
                                }
                                impregnate = ROOT
                        }
                }
        }
}
Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the fertility requirement mean that this event can never fire for a celibate wife?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I've never had a celibate wife so i can't really offer any input there, but i'm guessing the fertility requirement is the base fertility of the character (not the -1000% you get with celibate.)

• Locked thread