Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Just got back from a work trip. For those of you that have suggested I work at Black Mesa you are of course wrong...

...because I work at Aperture Science!

I love a building big enough you can drive through it. Don't forget to honk at the intersections and watch out for headcrabs!

For God's sake don't let him out!

This is the only technology from the site that I can show you.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Swink posted:

How do you make a switch like that? All the AWS jobs around here want someone with demonstrated experience in ~-devops-~

Vulture Culture posted:

The market's so hot right now that experience with some kind of configuration management/container system and an account on GitHub with some things in it is really all you need to get recruiters' attention. I keep getting pinged over the Go code I've written and I honestly don't even know Go.

Here is my take on what most "DevOps jobs" are looking for. Which may or may not have much of anything to do with the actual meaning of DevOps as an industry movement; that's a whole other topic :)

You can interact with people outside of your own sysadmin bubble without being a dick, and look at things from their perspective.
You can write short to medium length scripts in a language that is not Bash.
You understand the very basics of most of these things:
* Config management
* Source control (git, hg, SVN, whatever)
* What Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery mean, and a tool that enables them (read: Jenkins, and some sort of automated testing framework)
* Cloud computing (AWS, OpenStack), the pets vs cattle thing. You want cattle.
Bonus: You have heard the word "Docker" before and actually know what it means

If 75% of those things don't sound like Martian talk to you, then congrats. You are qualified to apply for ~~DevOps~~ jobs! But in all seriousness, I highly recommend getting into this space. It's a lot of fun (IMHO), and companies literally can't find enough people with these skills so they're tripping over themselves to recruit for it. And for better or worse, you don't need certs to do so. Hell, certs don't even exist for most of this stuff.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 8, 2015

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Docjowles posted:

Here is my take on what most "DevOps jobs" are looking for. Which may or may not have much of anything to do with the actual meaning of DevOps as an industry movement; that's a whole other topic :)

Would you say that knowing how to get a team onto an Agile methodology counts as well?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Docjowles posted:

Here is my take on what most "DevOps jobs" are looking for.
:words:

What would you define as medium-length and what kind of complexity?

On another note, it seems that Google Compute, Microsoft Azure are rarely mention but are enormous tech companies when it comes to the cloud.

How come?

JHVH-1 posted:

Basically, always be learning. If if you aren't learning anything new on a job then its just another job.

I'm not afraid of working of rebuilding RAIDs, 2AM Outages Sev <$x> Outages but if there's anything that I'm afraid of it's there sheer magnitude of things I need to learn to stay relevant in the industry.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

OAquinas posted:

Getting ready to walk out the door and pick up the kids, when we get calls and alarms. For the second time in as many weeks, the file server shares have gotten hit with ransomware :suicide:

File server itself is fine, but individual users are infected....here's hoping this gives us sufficient ammo to finally remove local admin access

We had a guy with no local admin access get Cryptolocker this week and we're still loving sorting out the fallout. Restoring the files was trivial, but it somehow royally hosed up a shitload of applications, too.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

What would you define as medium-length and what kind of complexity?

On another note, it seems that Google Compute, Microsoft Azure are rarely mention but are enormous tech companies when it comes to the cloud.

How come?

Medium-length -> 150-600 lines

Complexity -> abstractions, flow control with reusable functions, follows best practices, maybe uses external libraries, uses native language features instead of calling out to shell for everything.

Not a "this script grew from 10 lines to 600 while I added stuff onto the end and made the if/else trees 6 levels deep"

GCE and Azure are big, but Amazon prices aggressively, and they have a much larger external ecosystem. If you know exactly what you want and how to do it, RS, GCE, and others can be great alternatives. If you're just starting out and you need AMIs that hold your hand and legions of utilities to help, there's no beating AWS

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Richard Noggin posted:

I want a pic of you skiing in a revwar getup. For...posterity. Yeah....

Next winter, you got it! For that matter, you can come up here and take the picture, I should be able to get a couple free passes.

I'm thinking of doing a WW2 Ski Troop impression too....

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

As you lay at the door, bleeding to death, wishing OSHA was a thing....

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Colonial Air Force posted:

Next winter, you got it! For that matter, you can come up here and take the picture, I should be able to get a couple free passes.

I'm thinking of doing a WW2 Ski Troop impression too....

Deal.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Inspector_666 posted:

We had a guy with no local admin access get Cryptolocker this week and we're still loving sorting out the fallout. Restoring the files was trivial, but it somehow royally hosed up a shitload of applications, too.

Yeah, we're going to try to implement a policy to prevent executables from running out of AppData, see if that helps with some of the 0-day stuff. This guy claims it came from an ebook reader download; we're just starting forensics on his laptop.

At least this variant didn't lock down everything. That's rather annoying.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

Would you say that knowing how to get a team onto an Agile methodology counts as well?

Yeah, definitely. One of the terms for DevOps-type stuff before that name existed was "Agile infrastructure". The idea being that if your developers are building shippable software in short ~2 week iterations, the Ops side of the house sure better get with the program and be able to deploy and operate that code just as quickly. Otherwise the improvement on the dev side is wasted while the code sits around rotting, undeployed.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

Does the new version attack the registry? Even user accounts have the permissions to modify the HKEY_CURRENT_USER subregistry.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Verbally accepted a :yotj:

Going out to my car after lunch to find a spare gently caress to give.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Verbally accepted a :yotj:

Going out to my car after lunch to find a spare gently caress to give.

You keep a growler in your backseat too?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So, job question.

Anybody have any idea what kind of career prospect there are related to SCCM?

I got a new job in January as an SCCM admin, and I thought that would be a good way to continue along that track, but this specific job is all about maintaining an SCCM instance and not at all about using it, and using it is what I'm good at/what I enjoy. So I'm wondering if I've got any chance of career progression with SCCM, or spending my days tinkering with Task Sequences would leave me resigned to advanced desktop support until the end of the time.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

FISHMANPET posted:

So, job question.

I got a new job in January as an SCCM admin, and I thought that would be a good way to continue along that track, but this specific job is all about maintaining an SCCM instance and not at all about using it, and using it is what I'm good at/what I enjoy. So I'm wondering if I've got any chance of career progression with SCCM, or spending my days tinkering with Task Sequences would leave me resigned to advanced desktop support until the end of the time.

There's TONS of consulting work available around SCCM. If you get into the consulting side you'll likely end up learning/working with the rest of the suite which provides tons of opportunity for advancement.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Seconding the above,

Apply at Microsoft or the hundreds of Microsoft Vendors that are looking for SCCM folks.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thirding, I'm relatively new to SCCM, obviously you've given me a ton of good tips in the enterprise thread, but I've already worked with and networked with several SCCM consultants. Most of them have seemed to branch out from just SCCM to other similar software like Orchestrator or Service Manager. There is plenty of work in consulting or working for an MSP for stuff like this. Even if you're just part of a larger enterprise team and you handle SCCM customization or setup.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
So IT goons, I need some advice.

I got my first real job last September at a small, local MSP. The pay is $12/hr, which sucks, but it was mainly to get some experience. I got my CCNA soon after getting this job. I do all sorts of stuff: basic helpdesk sort of stuff, equipment installs, and some tier 2-ish (I think) work with things like Exchange, virtualization, do a decent amount of powershell scripting, etc. The company has a lot of problems mainly related to organization and I'm not likely to get any raise working here.

So, I started looking for a new job. I've gotten two job offers. One is working for an MSP at a local hospice facility mainly doing helpdesk sort of stuff. The other is with a local manufacturing company where I'd be the only other "IT" guy. The hospice job has offered me $16/hr whereas the manufacturing place has offered me $33k but salaried. The duties seem like they would be mostly the same. I'm kinda burned out on the MSP concept since my current employer has a constant push for MORE BILLABLE HOURS despite that meaning that the customer is probably pissed off. I'm not really sure which offer I should take, though. I've never had an actual *choice* in job offers before, so this is all new to me.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
What part of the country is this? You're worth a lot more than 33k around here

high six
Feb 6, 2010

sanchez posted:

What part of the country is this? You're worth a lot more than 33k around here

Rural western NC. I'm living with my parents right now to save on money so I can pay off my massive student loans quickly. Once that's done I am getting the gently caress out of here, though.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
33k goes a long ways in that area. I'd say take the salaried position then job hop your way over to RTP down the line.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Considering that a year ago I was delivering pizza, I am totes excited about making that much. I have about $60k in student loans to pay off but since I don't have rent I am saving pretty much every dime I make as is.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im in the same boat as you, im going from being an incredibly low paid office drone to a somewhat better paid IT drone

:toot:

high six
Feb 6, 2010
I do a whole lot less work than I did while delivering pizza and get paid a lot more. It's crazy.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

high six posted:

I do a whole lot less work than I did while delivering pizza and get paid a lot more. It's crazy.

For moments like these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVYHjEeYGFA

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

poo poo, I need to watch that movie again.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

high six posted:

Considering that a year ago I was delivering pizza, I am totes excited about making that much. I have about $60k in student loans to pay off but since I don't have rent I am saving pretty much every dime I make as is.

don;t be dumb like me. Start socking some of that cash into retirement accounts NOW. Compound interest is a lovely thing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zaepho posted:

don;t be dumb like me. Start socking some of that cash into retirement accounts NOW. Compound interest is a lovely thing.

Yes. Pay off your loans, for sure. But don't let all your money languish in a savings account with poo poo interest. Put what you want semi-liquid in a Mutual Fund or Money Market at the very least. Stuff the rest in a 401K/IRA. Starting NOW will pay off HUGE when you retire. In fact by starting now and doing as much as you are able to afford can mean the difference between retiring in your 50s vs. retiring in your 60s.

Play around with some online retirement calculators and you'll see we aren't talking poo poo.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

flosofl posted:

Yes. Pay off your loans, for sure. But don't let all your money languish in a savings account with poo poo interest. Put what you want semi-liquid in a Mutual Fund or Money Market at the very least. Stuff the rest in a 401K/IRA. Starting NOW will pay off HUGE when you retire. In fact by starting now and doing as much as you are able to afford can mean the difference between retiring in your 50s vs. retiring in your 60s.

Play around with some online retirement calculators and you'll see we aren't talking poo poo.

By putting money into a retirement account in your 20s each dollar invested will earn you $16 in interest over 40 years. By waiting until you are in your 30s that one dollar will earn you $8 in interest over 30 years. Start in your 40s and you're only looking at $4 in interest over 20 years. Do yourself a favor and sock away as much as you can while you're young, and never touch that money until you're ready to retire.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

So, job question.

Don't give up. I recently went from a SCCM admin to "engineer" after a lot of searching. I now work directly with on site MS PFEs to resolve issues and make current processes more efficient. I'm in the same boat as you. I love tinkering with SCCM and as long as MS continues to support it I'll be working with it. See if the job you're at is willing to give you a bit more leeway to try some new things out. I'm not sure what the environment is like but if you can convince them you're not going to accidentally image every computer on your network they may let you prove yourself.

If not, look for somewhere that will.

Also use this to make your own lab.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

3k salaried at a msp sounds like they want an entry tech they can work to death without OT.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Sacred Cow posted:

Don't give up. I recently went from a SCCM admin to "engineer" after a lot of searching. I now work directly with on site MS PFEs to resolve issues and make current processes more efficient. I'm in the same boat as you. I love tinkering with SCCM and as long as MS continues to support it I'll be working with it. See if the job you're at is willing to give you a bit more leeway to try some new things out. I'm not sure what the environment is like but if you can convince them you're not going to accidentally image every computer on your network they may let you prove yourself.

If not, look for somewhere that will.

Also use this to make your own lab.

We've actually got a completely separate team that actually deals with managing and imaging the desktops. I'm on the server team where SCCM isn't neccessarily the best tool for managing all of our servers.

But basically we built SCCM and threw it over the wall to the guys that actually use it (well before my time). As far as hierarchy and such the other team is "below" me in level, but I think I told my boss a few months ago that I thought it was a little insane that we run SCCM rather than the other guys. Especially since I'm supposed to be self directed and find ways to improve the SCCM experience. Which is really difficult when I don't actually use the tool!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Zaepho posted:

This really deserves reposting. I'm putting away 12% of each paycheck now trying to play catchup. If I had started saving right out the gate when I got my first real job I'd have .. gently caress I don't even want to think about it.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sheep posted:

This really deserves reposting. I'm putting away 12% of each paycheck now trying to play catchup. If I had started saving right out the gate when I got my first real job I'd have .. gently caress I don't even want to think about it.

I definitely hosed this up. I moved cross country in my mid 20's. My wife was going to grad school and I had no immediate job lined up, so I stopped contributing to my retirement account "temporarily" since our income was basically zero. When I did land an IT job in my new city, it paid garbage and had no company sponsored plan or match, so I still held off on contributing. I eventually got a really great raise and began contributing again, but I missed out on some of the prime early years. In hindsight I'm sure I could have spent less on beer or video games or whatever and at least put a few bucks a month toward it. Definitely kicking myself for that now.

TLDR read I Will Teach You To Be Rich and do what that dude says. It's incredibly easy to set up and start contributing to a retirement account. And you don't need to pay shitlords like Ameriprise a small fortune in fees, either. You can do it yourself.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Full contribution to 401k crew what what.

I'm gong to use the word "hurt" here even though it's not the right word. You know it's not the right word but I can't think of a better one, but you understand the spirit of what I'm trying to say.

Does anyone else feel like marriage and family hurts your career more in IT than in other professions? Three, four times a week I see people staying at the office late, working on this and that. And each time I'm like, welp I guess I won't be getting that experience.

Stupid freakin family always hurting my career and poo poo. But yeah no, you know what I mean. IT more than any job short of like "character on The West Wing" seems like a job which is given to after hours projects. Staying late with a last minute idea to re architect your environment, write some Powershell, P2V some servers, etc.

itsameta4
Sep 29, 2013
Holy poo poo, finally caught up to this thread. Thanks for all the wisdom everyone, you've been great.

Also there was a dude a few weeks ago asking about Nextiva for efaxes... don't do it dude, their Web client is awful (flash based and you can't actually manage poo poo) and they go down weekly. They were a huge source of tickets for years before we switched to Ring Central earlier this year.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm gong to use the word "hurt" here even though it's not the right word. You know it's not the right word but I can't think of a better one, but you understand the spirit of what I'm trying to say.

Does anyone else feel like marriage and family hurts your career more in IT than in other professions? Three, four times a week I see people staying at the office late, working on this and that. And each time I'm like, welp I guess I won't be getting that experience.

Stupid freakin family always hurting my career and poo poo. But yeah no, you know what I mean. IT more than any job short of like "character on The West Wing" seems like a job which is given to after hours projects. Staying late with a last minute idea to re architect your environment, write some Powershell, P2V some servers, etc.

This sounds like something CF or whatever the gently caress that morons name was would say.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Or do you mean - STEM Career hurting friends and family?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Maybe, but does that matter? If you're working for a boss that wants you to stay late, :yotj:. Family comes first. My dad might be a crazy workaholic, but even he knew that he had to be home in time for dinner unless something had literally caught fire.

edit: Defending my use of literally, he was an electrician.