Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

spwrozek posted:

Great Lakes is excellent to deal with (at least for the last 5 years I have had loans serviced by them). Navient/Sallie Mae...gently caress them.

But like was mentioned if they are federal loans make sure you know what you are doing because they have a lot of protections built in.

Yeah, Great Lakes have been awesome about setting up my PAYE stuff. The lady I got on the phone was really nice and talked me through everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is Navient retarded?

I owe about 7500 on a loan, with about ~350 in monthly payments across the three I have with them. When I went last month to make a payment of ~7500, it deducted the 350 and said I had 7150 to put towards one account. It also gave me a dialog box that the automatic monthly payment would still be happening. I figured it was because this was so close to the monthly payment date, and just waited.

Now that my payment went through automatically yesterday, the exact same issue is happening. I keep getting a dialog box saying this payment won't affect the automatic payment, but when I go to distribute the payment, it deducts the amount towards next month. What the gently caress.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
eh nevermind

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 9, 2015

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

I have a question of the statute of limitations and date of last payment on private student loans. I defaulted on them and I never was able to make any payments so when does the statue of limitations and date of last payment start? I'm trying to figure out when they should fall off my credit report.

Does it start when the deferment period ends or 90 days of missed payments after the deferment period or something else entirely?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Maed posted:

I have a question of the statute of limitations and date of last payment on private student loans. I defaulted on them and I never was able to make any payments so when does the statue of limitations and date of last payment start? I'm trying to figure out when they should fall off my credit report.

Does it start when the deferment period ends or 90 days of missed payments after the deferment period or something else entirely?
I would not count on the private student loan company not getting a court order before the statue of limitations expires. And that will keep it on your credit report for as long as they try to collect, which will be the rest of your life.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

IIRC I have a few govt loans under $15k (undergrad)but due to not having access to main PC/PW manager/mail box I can't check. I'm 23 years old and have 27 credits. I plan to make a trip down to my college center/office later today but working on getting phone sim card and bank account right now.

history: Stuff happened. I have <$100 and entire family disowned me. Currently, homeless in NYC,NY USA. On the bright side I'm not a addict and/or convict so that's something :v:

Alder fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 10, 2015

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Alder posted:

IIRC I have a few govt loans under $15k (undergrad)but due to not having access to main PC/PW manager/mail box I can't check. I'm 23 years old and have 27 credits. I plan to make a trip down to my college center/office later today but working on getting phone sim card and bank account right now.

history: Stuff happened. I have <$100 and entire family disowned me. Currently, homeless in NYC,NY USA. On the bright side I'm not a addict and/or convict so that's something :v:

What'd you do

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

I have about $23,000 in federal student loans at varying interest rates, ranging from 3.4% to 6.8%. I've been paying off the 6.8% loan at an accelerated rate, but I also have some loans over 5% and it will take several years before I'm able to pay off the higher rate loans. Should I consider refinancing these loans? I have a high income (about $115,000/yr), no other debt, about $40,000 in liquid savings and retirement accounts, and my credit score is around 700 (no credit history besides the student loans, a paid off car loan, and a single store card with a low limit that I used to buy my wife's engagement ring at zero APR).

Is it likely I'd be able to refinance at a low enough rate to make it worthwhile? I understand that if you refinance federal student loans you lose some of the advantages that federal loans have, but in my circumstances, I'm not sure those really benefit me much. I guess if I couldn't deduct my interest payments that would be a negative, but if I save enough on interest, it might be worthwhile.

Do any of you have opinions?

edit: btw when you apply for a refinance, does that result in a hard inquiry on your credit report? Just wondering because I'd like to apply for one or two rewards credit cards since I have no "real" credit card right now and I think I probably should--for credit gaming and for the opportunity cost of not using a cash back rewards card on essential purchases. I'd like to submit all my applications at the same time since I think I'll only get one hard inquiry on my report if I submit them all in a 14 day window. Isn't that right?

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 15, 2015

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

At 115K per year I doubt your MAGI is under 80K so you are probably not able to take the deduction anyways. Unless you are married and don't have much other income.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

spwrozek posted:

At 115K per year I doubt your MAGI is under 80K so you are probably not able to take the deduction anyways. Unless you are married and don't have much other income.

I am married and my wife is a full time student with no income so I am able to take the deduction.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Uranium 235 posted:

I have about $23,000 in federal student loans at varying interest rates, ranging from 3.4% to 6.8%. I've been paying off the 6.8% loan at an accelerated rate, but I also have some loans over 5% and it will take several years before I'm able to pay off the higher rate loans. Should I consider refinancing these loans? I have a high income (about $115,000/yr), no other debt, about $40,000 in liquid savings and retirement accounts, and my credit score is around 700 (no credit history besides the student loans, a paid off car loan, and a single store card with a low limit that I used to buy my wife's engagement ring at zero APR).

Is it likely I'd be able to refinance at a low enough rate to make it worthwhile? I understand that if you refinance federal student loans you lose some of the advantages that federal loans have, but in my circumstances, I'm not sure those really benefit me much. I guess if I couldn't deduct my interest payments that would be a negative, but if I save enough on interest, it might be worthwhile.

Do any of you have opinions?

edit: btw when you apply for a refinance, does that result in a hard inquiry on your credit report? Just wondering because I'd like to apply for one or two rewards credit cards since I have no "real" credit card right now and I think I probably should--for credit gaming and for the opportunity cost of not using a cash back rewards card on essential purchases. I'd like to submit all my applications at the same time since I think I'll only get one hard inquiry on my report if I submit them all in a 14 day window. Isn't that right?
Non-federal student loans still have tax-deductible interest.

That being said, if you're paying them off fast, a point of interest isn't going to amount to a whole lot compared to the advantages of federal loans when it comes to deferral, payment options, and, worst case scenario, loan rehabilitation. With your credit history, I doubt that you'd get a lower fixed interest rate than what you currently have. You can shop around and get quotes with soft pulls, I think.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

This thread has been helpful with student loan questions. I've tried asking the federal loan servicing these questions and when they finally respond, it only leads to more questions.

I meet all the qualifications for PSLF as a nurse. Submitted my application the other day. Is it retroactive to when I started IBR payments? Am I correct in thinking that unlike other loan forgiveness, PSLF is non-taxed when forgiven? My total student loan debt is not only nursing school debt, but an additional Bachelor's obtained prior. How do they figure out how much is from each program? Do they care, or just pay the entire balance? I believe PSLF only forgives up to ~$57k, is this correct?

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 21, 2015

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
PSLF kicks in after 120 on time payments through an income qualified (based/contingent/PAYE, etc) repayment or a 10 year rate (or higher) while employed in the qualified position. It forgives all loans that are eligible and added to those plans. No taxes on qualified loans.

Not aware of any cap, but there may be a cap on qualified loans that were available.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
A friend of mine is filing her FAFSA out, both her parents filed as Head of Household. Her dad only claimed himself and a son, her mother claimed herself and two children. The total household is five. The kicker is that their parents aren't legally married, although they've been living together for the last 20 years. Does she needs to treat them as separate households or does one of her parents need to file amends so she can finish her FAFSA? My intuition tells me that they aren't as clever as they think and would be better off married, and either way her mom (Who makes less) will have to file an annulment to her taxes because she can't file as Head of Household.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
So I just got the following email:

quote:

We recently let you know that Navient purchased a group of loans that includes your student loan accounts shown below. In about two months, you'll be managing your loans with Navient instead of ACS.

I gather this is a bad thing based on what people have said about Navient in this thread?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CompeAnansi posted:

So I just got the following email:

I gather this is a bad thing based on what people have said about Navient in this thread?

They suck - if you have to deal with them, use these contacts:

https://www.navient.com/about/who-we-are/leadership/advocate/default.aspx

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
SallieMae/Navient is real bad and they are near the top of my list of companies that I will go out of my way to not do business with. I'll also go out of my way to recommend other people do the same.

gently caress that company.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 8, 2015

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Has anyone submitted the form showing they plan to use PSLF? If so, how do you like the loan servicer that they switched you to? The only reason I haven't bothered to file the paperwork yet, since its not required at this point, is that I'm really happy with my loan servicer.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've been looking at refinancing my loans because it's a giant clusterfuck, making 5 different payments per month. I somehow have 4 Loan Accounts with 6 Online accounts across 3 different lenders. 3 accounts in my name, 3 in my mother's name that I'm repaying. All with Nelnet, Sallie Mae, and Navient. Don't ask me how I got into this predicament, I did all of my student loans through the school's Financial Aid office and neither my parents nor I really understood what we were doing as I was the first in the family to go to college and I'm suspecting the people working in that office weren't the best at their job.

This is basically what my situation looks like:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzStYtNz3PuXMWpod0lwOHdmUHc/view?usp=sharing

The 4.87% in the last Interest column is the "average" of all my loans, which is to say I added up the percents and divided by how many loans total and that was the figure I got. i don't know if that's actually a mathematically accurate value.

That's my financial status, 2 years and 7 months after graduating. Got something in the mail from Citizens Bank today and filled out their application for consolidating / refinancing, and using a 10 year-fixed rate of 8.99% which would be a monthly payment of $855.49, for a total repayment of $102,658.72. While filling out my current loan data into their website, it asked if my loans were Private or Federal and I don't know which are which, so I left that field blank. I'm not sure how much that impacts the repayment options I've been presented with. No idea how to figure out if that'd actually save me money or if I've crossed that line after repaying my current one for almost 3 years? I really don't know anything about this kind of thing :saddowns:

Can someone smarter than me possibly weigh in, here?

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 14, 2015

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

I've been looking at refinancing my loans because it's a giant clusterfuck, making 5 different payments per month. I somehow have 4 Loan Accounts with 6 Online accounts across 3 different lenders. 3 accounts in my name, 3 in my mother's name that I'm repaying. All with Nelnet, Sallie Mae, and Navient. Don't ask me how I got into this predicament, I did all of my student loans through the school's Financial Aid office and neither my parents nor I really understood what we were doing as I was the first in the family to go to college and I'm suspecting the people working in that office weren't the best at their job.

This is basically what my situation looks like:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzStYtNz3PuXMWpod0lwOHdmUHc/view?usp=sharing

The 4.87% in the last Interest column is the "average" of all my loans, which is to say I added up the percents and divided by how many loans total and that was the figure I got. i don't know if that's actually a mathematically accurate value.

That's my financial status, 2 years and 7 months after graduating. Got something in the mail from Citizens Bank today and filled out their application for consolidating / refinancing, and using a 10 year-fixed rate of 8.99% which would be a monthly payment of $855.49, for a total repayment of $102,658.72. While filling out my current loan data into their website, it asked if my loans were Private or Federal and I don't know which are which, so I left that field blank. I'm not sure how much that impacts the repayment options I've been presented with. No idea how to figure out if that'd actually save me money or if I've crossed that line after repaying my current one for almost 3 years? I really don't know anything about this kind of thing :saddowns:

Can someone smarter than me possibly weigh in, here?
Do not refinance your loans if you get a higher interest rate that is idiotic.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Do not refinance your loans if you get a higher interest rate that is idiotic.

Please be kind.

Sab669, you can't consolidate the loans in your parent's names into your name, so keep that in mind. Unless they're private, which would require a hard credit check. The Citibank app sounds like a private loan consolidation. Make sure to do a lot of homework on their program, repayment options, etc. before accepting any agreements with them.

There's an easy way to tell which loans are federal and which aren't, and that's the NSLDS. Go here (you'll need your FAFSA PIN, if you don't remember it you can request a new one through the system):

https://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds_FAP/secure/logon.jsp

Create an account and you'll see all of your federal loans. Any loans not listed there are private. If I'm not mistaken you would also see Parent PLUS loans with your name on them. Any servicers know for sure?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Hey, maybe someone can help me here! This is long, I'm dumb for going to college, please help me.

I have about $80k total in student loan debt between federal and private loans, with $20k in federal and the rest in private ($10,000 with CitiBank and $50,000 or so with Discover). I currently pay about $200/month for the Citibank and federal loan and my family helped me with the rest, which is about $650/month, which is really nice of them and they're certainly not obligated to.

Well, we've paid without one late day for 2 years so my mother is going to petition to be removed as a cosigner. I make about $30k/year, probably $40k/year total with my part time job I have on top of it. If/when she succeeds in removing herself from my loans there's no way I can pay the $650 in full per month to Discover. I mean, I'll try! But there's no way I can feasibly do it.

I spoke with Discover that offered me a 6 month reduce payment plan that actually made my monthly payment even more expensive afterwords, and it had a bunch of dumb terms and conditions. They told me the other option is to pay off each loan individually (there's 3 separate loans w/ Discover that total about $50k with varying interest rates) and just default on one.

I have tried consolidating in the past but my debt to income ratio is too high so I've gotten declined (though I got something in the mail today for a company called U-Fi and I was desperate enough to open it and see what gives, anyone know of it?).

My question is what is actually going to happen to me if I default on a portion of my loan? Will Discover be able to garnish my wages? I have perfect credit right now, how is this going to negatively effect my credit? My family wants me to talk to an attorney - what kind of attorney should I look for, or where should I look for one that will work pro bono?

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
I have never heard of a servicer recommending default as an option. That's...sure a thing. Defaulting on a student loan, even a private loan, ruins credit, so it's best to avoid if possible.

I'm honestly not sure how an attorney could help, unless there's some kind of settlement option. Or possibly to talk about the "default as a valid option" offer because that seems shady.

As for pro-bono, contact the local United Way offices and tell them you need cheap/free legal advice (here the number is 211), they may be able to guide you to a charity that offers that. You can also try your employer's Employee Assistance Program (EAP) if they have one, those offer financial counseling a lot of the time.

I haven't heard of U-Fi. What you want to look for is:

1. Fixed interest rate
2. Flexible repayment options
3. Forbearance options (pause payments if necessary - how often can you, is there a charge, etc.)

You can also try simpletuition.com to shop for a private loan company that can consolidate for you.

Good luck!

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
The attorney was to just make sure we understood all the legal stuff regarding defaulting and what some options might be for me.

Thanks for the advice. Discover is literally the worst company ever. They're worse than Comcast to speak with, I swear to god.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
The only caution I give you about using an attorney for that kind of advice is that most attorneys don't know how student loans work versus other kind of debt. For instance, many attorneys don't realize that declaring bankruptcy does NOT eliminate student loans, and will advise their clients of wrong information. I don't think it's intentional, just a fundamental misunderstanding of how these work versus something like a house mortgage.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Does anyone know when the Fall '15 FAFSA loans will be sent out?'I'm guessing end of August but not completely sure.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
My grandfather has offered to pay off my student loans. I have about $18K right now. What is the best way to go about re: taxes?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Nondescript Van posted:

My grandfather has offered to pay off my student loans. I have about $18K right now. What is the best way to go about re: taxes?
How much interest, capitalized or not, does that $18k figure include?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Nondescript Van posted:

Are you or he married? If so, two checks. If he is married, he can do 2 checks from his/wife's joint account to you. If he is single and you are married, he can do 2 checks, one to you and one to SO. Otherwise, he will have to file Form 709 with his 2015 tax return, and it will reduce his GST exclusion. Or he could pay $14k this year and $4k next year.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

SiGmA_X posted:

Are you or he married? If so, two checks. If he is married, he can do 2 checks from his/wife's joint account to you. If he is single and you are married, he can do 2 checks, one to you and one to SO. Otherwise, he will have to file Form 709 with his 2015 tax return, and it will reduce his GST exclusion. Or he could pay $14k this year and $4k next year.

neither of us are married. I should also mentioned he will pay my brothers loans as well, which are about $12k if I am not mistaken. When I was about 18 my other grandfather left my family money as well in his will, a specific amount was earmarked for college. I do not know if that was gifted to me or my parents though. I'll have to ask my father about these things.

Are there some other resources out there I should read up on?

Heth
Sep 16, 2007
I'm new to the world of student loans and looking for a jumping off point.

I'm out of college with no student loan debt and make a decent salary (~$100k). My wife is currently in graduate school for a second Master's with about $60k in debt. I've been able to pay for her tuition out of pocket up to this point, but I think we'll need about $15k in loans to finish out her degree. We filled out a FAFSA for Fall '15, and I assume, since she hasn't reached the graduate loan limits listed in the OP yet, she'll be offered the $15k or so in unsubsidized federal loans.

Would my best option be to just take the ubsubsidized federal loans, or is it better to search around for a private loan with favorable terms using my good credit?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Heth posted:

I'm new to the world of student loans and looking for a jumping off point.

I'm out of college with no student loan debt and make a decent salary (~$100k). My wife is currently in graduate school for a second Master's with about $60k in debt. I've been able to pay for her tuition out of pocket up to this point, but I think we'll need about $15k in loans to finish out her degree. We filled out a FAFSA for Fall '15, and I assume, since she hasn't reached the graduate loan limits listed in the OP yet, she'll be offered the $15k or so in unsubsidized federal loans.

Would my best option be to just take the ubsubsidized federal loans, or is it better to search around for a private loan with favorable terms using my good credit?

Take the unsubsidized loans over the private loans. You obtain Federal student loan protections (forbearance, deferment) with them that you likely would not get with a private loan.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
My husband is a grad student whose loans are with Navient. Because a recent grant wasn't renewed, he's not getting any non-teaching income this semester. We were thinking of him taking a one semester leave of absence so that we don't have to pay tuition for next semester. It's been okayed by his advisor, but we're concerned about the loans. How soon will they come out of deferment? Once he's re-matriculated, they'll go back, right?

RogueLemming
Sep 11, 2006

Spinning or Deformed?

Eris posted:

My husband is a grad student whose loans are with Navient. Because a recent grant wasn't renewed, he's not getting any non-teaching income this semester. We were thinking of him taking a one semester leave of absence so that we don't have to pay tuition for next semester. It's been okayed by his advisor, but we're concerned about the loans. How soon will they come out of deferment? Once he's re-matriculated, they'll go back, right?

Unless something has changed in the past few years, most loans have a 3-6 month grace period that triggers once his credit hours drop below the minimum. You'd have to ask Navient if that is the case here. Just be aware that once you use up the grace period, it doesn't reset. So you may not have to make payments before he goes back and they are deferred again, but when he graduates you will have a reduced/no remaining grace period.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

What kind of hell do I have to go through with Navient to pay extra to my principal? All I see in their FAQ talks about submitting something in writing.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Deeters posted:

What kind of hell do I have to go through with Navient to pay extra to my principal? All I see in their FAQ talks about submitting something in writing.
You'll need five black candles, an ornate dagger, and a live goat for starters.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Deeters posted:

It used to be somewhat doable with Sallie Mae but I believe you basically need to mail them a check and hope they cash it now. I can't believe our government lets them get away with this BS...

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Does Navient not process payments immediately? Anything you send above the interest that's accrued should go to the principal. Unless something has changed?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I just looked at their FAQ again and I think I'm reading into this more than I should be:

quote:

Single Loan – Your Account is Current
First, any unpaid fees are paid.
Second, any unpaid interest is paid.
Third, the payment is applied to the current principal.
We will apply any overpayment to next month's payment — unless you are enrolled in automatic debit or instruct us to do otherwise.*

*How to Send Overpayment Application Instructions
By check: Enclose your instructions for each loan, along with your loan IDs, on a separate piece of paper included with your check.

It's that last line that gets me, and I only see them talking about paying by check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
That's for if you want it applied to specific loans, so for instance if you want to pay down an unsub loan more than a sub loan. But otherwise all excess payment regardless of method should hit principal.