Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
... Dare I ask where this came from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Seriously I love MK but the original games were absolute dogshit and were 100% sold on 'haha I punched his head off and his spine came out too woah'.

Yes! This! Everything was so stilted and slow. After experiencing the magic that is watching a guy rip another guy's heart out of his chest and popping it like a balloon the game goes down hill when you realize all the ultra violence in the game was a distraction to hider the fact that the original MK game's mechanics were garbage.

LateToTheParty fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 8, 2015

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh god, here we go, Half in the Bag covers Age of Ultron

Rich, what the hell are you doing with your face, stop that.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Oh crap, I'm gonna go to hell for that, but that Hank Pym joke had me laughing so hard :roflolmao:

Incidentially, that's my suspicion why Edgar Wright was kicked off the Ant-Man film, he was gonna bring up the elephant in the room.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 8, 2015

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Benny the Snake posted:

Oh crap, I'm gonna go to hell for that, but that Hank Pym joke had me laughing so hard

Incidentially, that's my suspicion why Edgar Wright was kicked off the Ant-Man film, he was gonna bring up the elephant in the room.
I think its more that Edgar Wright was working on this Ant Man film even before Iron Man 1 and a lot has changed in the way Marvel wants to make their movies which lead to disagreements and ultimately Wright leaving

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

achillesforever6 posted:

I think its more that Edgar Wright was working on this Ant Man film even before Iron Man 1 and a lot has changed in the way Marvel wants to make their movies which lead to disagreements and ultimately Wright leaving
Fair enough. If anything, I hope he has the chance to do a proper superhero film again. I really think he's more of a silver-age DC kinda guy if DC actually appreciated that kind of thing for their films :sigh:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
According to Whedon, the Ant Man film is using most of Wright's script. Shame he isn't directing as Wright's so great with the charming small touches.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Them explaining comics is great.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

HopperUK posted:

gently caress I love West Side Story so much. I really need to see a live performance of it sometime.

I just saw a couple friends in a production of it. The director's blurb in the program talk about how it was heavily inspired by Romeo and Juliet. I thought "That'd be a neat thing for Shakespeare Month".

So what I'm trying to say is GET YOUR PROBES OUT OF MY BRAIN KKYLE!!!

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Oh jesus gently caress. NC's "I'm half-assing it this week" video is The Ewoks Cartoon. The video is unremarkable, except for the post-credit announcement (which is 3 minutes of a 10 minute video, mind you):

(edit for brevity)

quote:

We're having a little contest actually... we have a new DVD coming out, most likely in June, and it's sortof a "best of" compilation of the Nostalgia Critic stuff you've seen over the past few years (and new stuff too), and we're looking for a cover artist (for the DVD cover).

This is one of those fun times where you can just create your own artwork, you can throw in whatever you want. The kind of stuff that we usually look for, if you look at our past artwork, the more Druze Struzon (sp), big, epic poster kinda stuff. Honestly making it much bigger than it really is, but that's always part of the joke. So be GRAND, be BIG, do whatever you want. It can be cartoony, it can be realistic. There's lots of images of us on the Internet, if you need pictures.
Here is the size [sfx: sizing], and in terms of deadline, May 30th is the deadline .. create a Deviant Art account, and you put your picture on there. ... Just be sure to put in your portfolio...
And the winner will not only get the artwork featured on the front of the DVD, but you'll also have a link to your portfolio site on the actual cover, so it'll be there for everyone to see. And you'll also get $100 sent to you as well, y'know might as well get a little something out of this. And all the runners-up will have a video at the end of one of the NCs, with your site on there as well. So there will also be a lot of free promotion for you. So if you win, that's great, you get to be on the cover of the DVD, your website promoted, and you also get $100. If you don't you still have a possibility to be in one of these videos, or at least your artwork, promoting your site.
you guys have always done some great fanart in the past, and we're looking forward to seeing more.

Full wall-o-text (fake edit: the spoiler collapse doesn't show in the preview, so I apologize in advance if I hosed this up)

quote:

We're having a little contest actually, something we haven't done for a while we have a new DVD coming out, most likely in June, and it's sortof a "best of" compilation of the Nostalgia Critic stuff you've seen over the past few years (and new stuff too), and we're looking for a cover artist. We're looking for a cover for the DVD to go on there. As of now we don't have an exact title, it'll just be Nostalgia Critic... something. So if you do want to work the title in, have Nostalgia Critic there that's fine, just leave a little bit of space to leave something else to go under there. Yeah. This is one of those fun times where you can just create your own artwork, you can throw in whatever you want. The kind of stuff that we usually look for, if you look at our past artwork, the more Druze Struzon (sp), big, epic poster kinda stuff. Honestly making it much bigger than it really is, but that's always part of the joke. So be GRAND, be BIG, do whatever you want. It can be cartoony, it can be realistic. There's lots of images of us on the Internet, if you need pictures. There will be characters from the show, like Hyper Fan Girl and the Devil, and so on and so forth. So please feel free to use them in there as well. Here is the size [sfx: sizing], and in terms of deadline, May 30th is the deadline. The way it works is you create a Deviant Art account, and you put your picture on there. The picture has to be the size I said before. You pretty much send a link (here). Just be sure to put in your portfolio-- a Deviant art portfolio or just your portfolio size-- email you want to be contacted at. And your real name, or the name you want to go by. And the winner will not only get the artwork featured on the front of the DVD, but you'll also have a link to your portfolio site on the actual cover, so it'll be there for everyone to see. And you'll also get $100 sent to you as well, y'know might as well get a little something out of this. And all the runners-up will have a video at the end of one of the NCs, with your site on there as well. So there will also be a lot of free promotion for you. So if you win, that's great, you get to be on the cover of the DVD, your website promoted, and you also get $100. If you don't you still have a possibility to be in one of these videos, or at least your artwork, promoting your site. So again, be sure to have your real name, the link to the deviant art picture, and also your portfolio site. It can be a Deviant Art account, that's fine. Remember the deadline is May 30th, and that's about it guys, go out there, make some great artwork, you guys have always done some great fanart in the past, and we're looking forward to seeing more.

loving wow. Let's go through the checklist here:

[x] Established brand that has money (they can afford 45k for a gameshow) asking for on-spec work
[x] Effectively asking you to work for free. The $100 is a pittance, especially if you assume the Expected Value is only $100 / number of entrants. $5?
[x] Insisting you prove you're a worthy artist by sending them your portfolio. Your professional portfolio. They want professionals for this!
[x] To go onto a for-profit product
[x] Offering to pay in exposure.
[x] Backhanded comment about "fanart".

The sheer level of arrogance and exploitation seeping from that announcement-- wow. Any chance we can condense this down to 140 characters for @forexposure_txt?

I also love how, even if this was a worth endeavor, it was shoved at the end of a filler episode that I bet almost none of you watched-- and even if you did no one watched to the end. Marketing!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Dude, I get that you don't like Doug and feel very insulted, but I think you're going overboard with it. I mean, did you literally type down everything Doug said in those 3 minutes?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

Dude, I get that you don't like Doug and feel very insulted, but I think you're going overboard with it. I mean, did you literally type down everything Doug said in those 3 minutes?

Interesting that literally nothing you typed is true. But good for you for replying. That's an achievement.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
How about dat $90,000 game show money, yo?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Miss Wallace posted:

How about dat $90,000 game show money, yo?

How bout dem cheap board games, yo?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Why not some obscure games too? Like hell I'd imagine having a few games that were featured on Board James and Shut Up and Sit Down would make it a bit interesting.

On the other hand I just want to see this project burn in an inevitable law suit.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
DRUZE STRUZON.

I create art for my show, and it takes longer than the filming does. I certainly wouldn't do it for anyone else, unless they were prepared to fork out a *lot* of cash cause that poo poo takes ages.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

lornekates posted:

Interesting that literally nothing you typed is true.

Oh, I'm sorry for being completely wrong. Clearly you like Doug and was so inspired by his video that you had to share it with the thread. Is that better?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

Oh, I'm sorry for being completely wrong. Clearly you like Doug and was so inspired by his video that you had to share it with the thread. Is that better?

I wouldn't say it's better or worse. Just a different type of wrong. It's a lateral move, but hey, at least you're moving. Good job!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How about you both gently caress off with the petty slapfight and talk about how bullshit it is that Channel Awesome expects professional grade artists and is only offering them chump change in return?

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Arcsquad12 posted:

How about you both gently caress off with the petty slapfight and talk about how bullshit it is that Channel Awesome expects professional grade artists and is only offering them chump change in return?

CA is really big on paying people with exposure, but not actual money. Also, a link on the DVD case? Like anyone is going to type that in.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I really can't imagine worse 'pay' for artists than 'we'll put a link on our dvd case to your stuff'.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Hey, we were talking about Joss Whedon a little while ago. GoingRampant finally has a new Buffy video up. I Robot, You Jane.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I really can't imagine worse 'pay' for artists than 'we'll put a link on our dvd case to your stuff'.

For the more naive, anything is good enough for them. Everyone else though

"You expect me to make something good when you're offering me loose change like this?"

The managerial staff: ":v: Well yeah..."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Annointed posted:

For the more naive, anything is good enough for them. Everyone else though

"You expect me to make something good when you're offering me loose change like this?"

The managerial staff: ":v: Well yeah..."

I think that's the worst part of this. It's super clearly meant to exploit young and naive artists who totally think 'you get paid IN EXPOSURE' is a good deal.

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
And they've already got a ton of art so, oop, exploiting paid off.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Hmmm not sure about Moby being on Half in the Bag. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt though.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

$100

Hey this was used by referencing google images, right??

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Who cover art for Philosopher's stone? It reminds me a lot of the awesome box art that the Star Wars special editions came in. Is it the same guy?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Struzan.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Drew Struzan. That's the style of artwork Doug wants for $100 and exposure.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

So it is the same guy. I just did a google search to figure it out. Wow, he's done a ton of posters for movies I like. I wouldn't have pinned him down for back to the future, but I can't unsee it now.

loving hell that's the style they want and they're charging 100 bucks? I'm sorry, but one of those posters probably cost more to make than an internet critic earns in a year. Like, thousands per comission. CA really isn't helping eliminate the problem of artists underselling themselves. A lot of artwork by younge, more impressionable people is criminally undervalued.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 9, 2015

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

So it is the same guy. I just did a google search to figure it out. Wow, he's done a ton of posters for movies I like. I wouldn't have pinned him down for back to the future, but I can't unsee it now.

Doug did a thing about him a long time ago.

So lemme get this straight he's offering $100 bucks + "exposure" for something in a similar style or is he actually expecting something with the same quality?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Infamous Sphere posted:

DRUZE STRUZON.
Really that's just something I can't get over. These guys are so loving lazy they put this out without doing the slightest bit of proofreading to make sure that the name Drew isn't spelled with a 'Z'? I guess we can't all be smart internet guys like Dawp Walmukor, his brother Rawlf, or site mastermind Mirc Murrrchuros.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I heard Michelangelo did the Sistine Chapel ceiling for a 100 dollars and exposure.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Was the "Druze" thing actually typed by Doug or did Lorne just transcribe what he said?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
If a kickass movie came out in the late 70s and 80s and it had a bitching poster chances are it was made by a Mr. Druze Struzon. And they want to pay 100 dollars for that quality of artwork? loving Christ.
What really gets me is the way they phrase it. Poor dumb artist will receive 100 dollars because hey might as well get something out of your days of labor. We're so good here at Channel Awesome ain't we?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So today I realized for the first time that I've known of Linkara's existence for years, and I have never thought to wonder why it's called "Atop The Fourth Wall".

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jimbot posted:

I heard Michelangelo did the Sistine Chapel ceiling for a 100 dollars and exposure.
Actually he was basically forced to do it and didn't really enjoy the experience of making it iirc.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So today I realized for the first time that I've known of Linkara's existence for years, and I have never thought to wonder why it's called "Atop The Fourth Wall".
Most definetly a reference to the fourth wall in media :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The fourth wall refers to the tv screen/comic strip panel/stage/ ie the lens through which the audience views the story. Breaking the 4th wall means directly adressing the audience through an aside or showing the characters being aware that they are in a fiction. Being atop the fourth wall probably means to pass judgement on the proceedings, ie being an internet critic

• Locked thread