Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah that'd be way too unfair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Could someone explain exactly what the Amiibos do in this game? Didn't watch the presentation and don't want to scrub through the Direct to find it.

They unlock bonus mission that focus on the other weapons that not the normal gun. They also unlock customs clothing that you can only get from the 3 Amiibo.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

pichupal posted:

Not a big deal, but EbGames in Canada gets a pretty nice 2-sided poster for pre-ordering. Doesn't make up for the fact most Wii U games are now $70 CAD :canada:

:ohdear: Do we not get the dumb Mii costumes then?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Ugh I was hoping the demo would last longer than 3 hours spread out across 2 days. Hopefully I can try it out on the 11pm to midnight EST slot.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I'm hoping the reason there's only three one hour beta sessions is because Nintendo is actually testing server strain to see if they can handle a bunch of players on at once, and not just because they don't understand how betas work.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I'm hoping the reason there's only three one hour beta sessions is because Nintendo is actually testing server strain to see if they can handle a bunch of players on at once, and not just because they don't understand how betas work.

It's not a beta, so it's the server stress one.

Being able to play a game early is never a beta.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I'm almost certain that's what they're doing. If they were going to do a proper demo, they'd have done it a lot more like the Smash one.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Overbite posted:

Ugh I was hoping the demo would last longer than 3 hours spread out across 2 days. Hopefully I can try it out on the 11pm to midnight EST slot.

Wouldn't want anybody to enjoy that demo too much :v:

TechnoSyndrome posted:

That's possible, but more likely I think is just Nintendo being really stupid. Remember how all those 3DS demos had like a limited number of plays, and after that they'd delete themselves? :wtc:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

TechnoSyndrome posted:

This is probably it, because if you notice, their periods are late at night, early in the morning, and in the afternoon. They're testing to see how they can handle the traffic at different times of the day.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

This is giving me a 90s Nickelodeon vibe and I love it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Having limited timeframes for online stuff can pigeonhole a lot of people onto the servers. This is definitely a server stress test.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I hope those lab coats show up as actual gear later on.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
One thing I didn't see mentioned: leveling your gear lets you add extra slots with random perks, but there's a currency in the game that will let you manually customise any of your gear, so you don't have to worry about being stuck wearing gear you don't like just because it's the most powerful or whatever.

The amiibos also unlock additional 8-bit squid minigames that can be played in the plaza or while waiting for a match.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Will we be able to make one inkling per profile or multiple inklings? My husband and I both have our own profiles, and it would be way easier to just use my mii/NNID and have two squids.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
glad to see they put so much effort into customization -- oh wait just how many hair style choices do we get again?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't think squids have hair.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't think squids have hair.

squids also don't have arms or legs or hands or guns or bandanas

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They have all those things, plus Attitude.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Anime Curator posted:

squids also don't have arms or legs or hands or guns or bandanas

Or hair.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
woooosh

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Bean posted:

Will we be able to make one inkling per profile or multiple inklings? My husband and I both have our own profiles, and it would be way easier to just use my mii/NNID and have two squids.

I'm in the same situation, so I'd love to know this too. However I think I'm way more excited for Splatoon than he is, so he might not end up playing very much.

More clothes for me!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

One thing I didn't see mentioned: leveling your gear lets you add extra slots with random perks, but there's a currency in the game that will let you manually customise any of your gear, so you don't have to worry about being stuck wearing gear you don't like just because it's the most powerful or whatever.

Ooh, I hadn't actually picked up on that and now that you point it out, it's a huge relief! I love the Inkling Girl's default sneakers (I would wear those in real life, every day), but since they're the default gear, I'm sure they suck. If I can upgrade them to be just as good as higher-tier gear eventually, then that makes me happy. I go for style over function.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
Walmart's website has the 3-pack amiibo for MSRP ($35) with free shipping, though it won't arrive until the first week of June.

Still, better a week late than paying out the rear end.

DESCEND, VULTURES

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I hope they have a weapon option that's two guns akimbo so I can be Inkspector Tentaquila.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!
Some information about the upcoming testfire was posted on the blog, namely, the two maps available:

Saltspray Rig:

and Walleye Warehouse:

There will also only be 4 weapon sets to choose from:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I was watching a Game Informer video of the single-player which clarified that the amiibo challenges are things like "Go through the single player levels with this different weapon" since you use a set splattershot-type weapon in the campaign. They said the girl Inkling challenges focus around the charger.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I was watching a Game Informer video of the single-player which clarified that the amiibo challenges are things like "Go through the single player levels with this different weapon" since you use a set splattershot-type weapon in the campaign. They said the girl Inkling challenges focus around the charger.

Yep, we posted on it earlier. The boy focuses on roller and the squid focuses on KRAKEN MODE. :)

If they are just the same levels as single player but with different conditions then I don't have to worry about trying to get an amiibo, no biggie.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Chargers are so interesting. They're like paint lasers.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I wanna play as the kraken :D

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oynGf9-T1UA

It's good that Nintendo's actively marketing this, especially as a new IP.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
One hour until showtime.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
It looks like you can open the demo now, and get a cool splash screen with some rockin' tunes. However, when I press ZL+ZR as prompt, I get a server error before the "Global Testfire has not started yet" message. I assume that's normal and I won't have issues connecting once it starts, but can anyone confirm the same behavior?

Really like how well Nintendo is doing Splatoon's presentation. Squids got style.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, you could do that since it came up.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

It's on.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oh god I'm getting connection errors saying the server is full Nintendo is loving us again this is Comic Con all over agai--

Oh, its working now. Sweet. Gonna have to kill this lovely WiiPad aiming though.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 9, 2015

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

FilthyImp posted:

Oh god I'm getting connection errors saying the server is full Nintendo is loving us again this is Conic Con all over again

I got that error and also a more generic one. Of course, poo poo like this is probably why they're doing these limited time window tests in the first place, so hopefully it won't happen for the actual release.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It's insanely great

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lemming posted:

It's insanely great

For loving reals.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I am bad with the charge laser :(

edit: OH! you can set motion controls off and go with just the sticks

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
There's a minigame on the wii pad when waiting for a lobby to fill :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Roller is very fun.

• Locked thread