Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Nice meat!

Croatoan posted:

That's what i meant by slow-cooker greens. I use some country ham pieces, chop up an onion, a few cloves of minced garlic, 1/2 cup vinegar in a big rear end crock pot filled to the brim with kale greens. Fill with water to the top, cook it for like 6-8 hours and holy poo poo. Best greens ever. Of course it needs this:

Agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Baby kale raw makes a nice salad.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chemmy posted:

Baby kale raw makes a nice salad.

Raw baby kale does indeed make a nice salad.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I prefer baby raw kale substitute, made with tempeh.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Kale is good but chard is the tits.

Everything is better if it uses chard instead.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Kale is pretty boss in kimchi.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I am in fact making three jars of kale kimchi right now, one green, one purple and one dinosaur. Excited to taste test.

Chard kimchi is also great.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

therattle posted:

I prefer baby raw kale substitute, made with thinly-sliced Hormel bacon deep fried in battery-farmed chicken fat.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

You've got some weird hang-ups about vegetarians, man.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Not really. About half of my meals are vegetarian.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

I am in fact making three jars of kale kimchi right now, one green, one purple and one dinosaur. Excited to taste test.

Chard kimchi is also great.

Did a batch of that recently. Fantastic the way curly kale holds up. I'm making another gallon this weekend but it will be using Napa. Putting a pound of fresh chives in it, though.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Steve Yun posted:

It will be extremely lovely. And if you don't mind a bit of an inauthentical one, chop up the stems, and kimchi those too. They're really good too.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

lmao at this http://www.amazon.com/Ringer-Cleane...eywords=skillet

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Is there any reason to clean any kitchen thing with anything other than steel wool? And no, nonstick pans don't count because you should be cooking on carbon steel you heathens.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
For use on glassware and plates also?

drat!

And yes - if you have something really stuck on a deep sheet pan or on some porcelain or some such - take half a dishwasher tablet, and just put that in with water and let soak overnight.

Also - I use ammonia to clean the oven (whatever pyrolysis doesn't burn off - but it kills your sinuses).

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

For really stubborn things, I use the same powder I use to clean my daughter's nappies.

Baby-bottom fresh!

Jamwillinob
Jun 26, 2009

quote:

perfect for preseasoned cast iron or your own special seasoning!

:pervert:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

nonstick pans don't count because you should be cooking on carbon steel you heathens.

When cooking things like hashbrowns, are you gonna get a better browning on teflon or steel? Use the right tool for the job. A lot of things get hate in here because people use things as a "kitchen cure-all". Slow cookers? Great for greens or boiled peanuts and such. Teflon pan? Great for browning tender things like starches or veggies. Pancakes in a can? Great for SubG setups.

Edit: So I don't seem so insular - http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Gws.txt#Pancakes_in_a_Can

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 11, 2015

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I forgot about the du faux poivron.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

A huge upside to no longer living in an apartment is that I can finally have a grill, which I bought and put together this weekend. Steak and kabobs last night?

:getin:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm sort of glad that the latest round of veg-chat happened while I was on vacation.

wheez the roux posted:

I would sooner give up a kidney, finger, eyeball, or foot than cheese

cheese owns and anyone who rejects it for reasons besides health are subhuman monsters, as unappreciative of human advancement and mankind's achievements as the simple minded neanderthals our species conquered so long ago before founding our cultures atop their bones. those who would deny cheese must be reeducated or cleansed

Cheese is the primary reason why my girlfriend gave up veganism.

wheez the roux posted:

I love vegetarians who get extremely high and mighty about animal rights, but don't give even an infinitesimal quantum of a gently caress about the hard working migrant farmers who grow their food. Buying the absolute dirt-cheapest poo poo from horrible companies with enormous numbers of documented abuses and exploitation of ag labor, eating things completely out of season while preaching sustainability. living in seattle exposed me to a lot of hypocritical assholes and hyper-judgmental militant vegetarians, vegans, and a whole array of other -ians i never knew existed including plenty that definitely don't.

This is other reason she gave up veganism; the hypocrisy and lack of self-awareness of the vegan bloggers was ridiculous. And then they all turned on her when her blog stopped being vegan. As in, they literally put her on a list of bad vegans that they sent around, and there were multiple attempts to hack her blog.

Her favorite example is the altar that vegans place almond milk on, when pumping water to grow almonds is one of things that is killing California.

contrapants posted:

Serious question: Does kale always taste like a stiff, lovely version of spinach, or is that just the kind I had literally every time I've tried it?

I actually like kale, but it does require correct preparation. Andy Dick once described kale as "a lot like spinach, except more bitter... and hairier."

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 11, 2015

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

We need a "go back to gbs" emoticon

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Crusty Nutsack posted:

:gb2gbs:

It's use normally gets you sent to kitty prison, though.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I like the burger thread.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Their sardine thread wasn't bad too, but that's not what was referenced.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

The Midniter posted:

A huge upside to no longer living in an apartment is that I can finally have a grill, which I bought and put together this weekend. Steak and kabobs last night?

:getin:

While that owns, did you ever have a balcony or whatever at your old apartment? Cast iron on a grill works great if that is the style you're going for.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

bartolimu posted:

I like the burger thread.

I posted in the burger thread (when it was in gbs, haven't caught up though). The new threads here... Not so much.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
what should i cook for dinner tonight guys? I'm feeling like grilling

Also going to mix up a big ol pitcher of micheladas to get things started!!!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nooner posted:

what should i cook for dinner tonight guys? I'm feeling like grilling

Also going to mix up a big ol pitcher of micheladas to get things started!!!

Your gimmick is dumb.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
all I wanted was a suggestion for dinner ):

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Nooner posted:

all I wanted was a suggestion for dinner ):

Put your dick in the fryer.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i dont own a fryer because i eat healthy. I'm leaning towards grilling fish maybe salmon not sure what for side, corn is always a winning option though

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Nooner posted:

i dont own a fryer because i eat healthy. I'm leaning towards grilling fish maybe salmon not sure what for side, corn is always a winning option though

I'd suggest something with lime-cilantro crema.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I got a nice salmon filet from the market, going to grill it with lime and tony chachere's. Side dishes will be grilled corn and grilled frog dicks and onions (just kidding they are actually green beans) tossed with a little olive oil and some rosemary maybe (:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Whelp it turns out the frog dicks (lol) were older than I thought and they were no longer good so I had to double up on the corn. Oh well just means I'll have exciting poops tomorrow!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 12, 2015

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

No chile powder on the rim with the salt, not a true michelada.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

bartolimu posted:

No chile powder on the rim with the salt, not a true michelada.

Pfft you think id make a day 1 rookie mistake like that? There is a liberal amount of cayenne on the rim just hard to see red on red :colbert:

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I'll allow it, though the canonical condiment is Valentino Salsa en Polvo.

Togarashi works okay as well, but at that point I feel like a float of sake or something needs to be added.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Paper With Lines posted:

While that owns, did you ever have a balcony or whatever at your old apartment? Cast iron on a grill works great if that is the style you're going for.

Leases these days usually forbid grills on the balcony. Not that you can't quietly violate it if you want but I personally am unwilling to risk the consequences.

Also, if you could have a grill on your balcony, you could use it with or without cast iron, surely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

guppy posted:

Leases these days usually forbid grills on the balcony. Not that you can't quietly violate it if you want but I personally am unwilling to risk the consequences.

Also, if you could have a grill on your balcony, you could use it with or without cast iron, surely.

City by-law forbids them where I am.