Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Actually it's Djose Highroad (which I had a feeling it was, I just had no idea where from there) and it turns out I just got incredibly turned around. It's been a while since I played the first half of the game and I can't remember which way through an area you're usually supposed to be going.

Also I just remembered there's a Map item and I was about to feel even more stupid but it turns out that, uh, it doesn't help or do much at all. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Color Printer posted:

So it turns out I missed the destruction sphere in Djose Temple and I am losing my loving mind trying to even find the drat place again and nothing I can find on the internet is helping me, just nonsense about dark aeons which don't matter because I'm playing the original release version anyway. Oh my god. Why is everything so difficult. Why are half the airship stops grossly inconvenient.

ffx is loving garbage

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

ffx is loving garbage

Hm.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's no FFX-2, that's for sure.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
UhhHHH you can't spell tedious without tidus

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I love X-2, but it did a magnificent job of making me feel ashamed of that fact.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sunning posted:

Fun fact, Square-Enix has an association soccer simulator out for Android/iOS called Champ Man. It's actually a reboot of the Championship Manager series. You heard of the Football Manager series by Sports Interactive? They were the original developers of the Championship Manager games before splitting with Eidos to work with SEGA on Football Manger. Square-Enix came into possession of this series through their acquisition of Eidos. Two years ago, Square Enix Europe revived the series as Champ Man for mobile.

So they probably have the tools, template, and the know-how to make a Blitzball Manager game.

Use your Japanese game industry knowledge to make SE release DQMSL in English.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

ffx is loving garbage

Look at how wrong this opinion is.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Zombies' Downfall posted:

UhhHHH you can't spell tedious without tidus

Yes I can.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
I play too much FFXI

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Well at least you can stop now and live the rest of your life.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
That is four and a half years of playtime.

From a 12 year period from 2003-2015, I think I have roughly 200ish days, which is still a humongous amount, but it doesn't even come close to that, holy poo poo dude

You need some hobbies, man.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I feel better about the time I wasted on that second degree now

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

That is four and a half years of playtime.

From a 12 year period from 2003-2015, I think I have roughly 200ish days, which is still a humongous amount, but it doesn't even come close to that, holy poo poo dude

You need some hobbies, man.

Yeah, it's pretty bad, but you know how often i AFK, leave my computer running, or just do something else on the side? it's greatly inflated by that.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

So I'm working my way back through Sin and constantly spamming Holy for 1 MP thanks to my fully upgraded Ultima.

This feels broken. It feels pretty good.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 9, 2015

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

frodnonnag posted:

I play too much FFXI

:agreed:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

that must be a pretty good game huh

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
FFX-2 is by far the better game, but I'm enjoying this playthrough of FFX HD, maybe even more than I did before. I put like 400 hours into X 10 years ago, and never beat Nemesis or Penance, but I really don't feel like I'll do that this time, but I really do enjoy the endgame.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Anyone know of an amusing FFV hack that isn't Ancient Cave or that dumb Custom Jobs hack? The wait for fiesta is killing me but I don't want to burn out on it before it starts again this year.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I'm playing through FFV for the first time now and in general enjoying it, but jesus this game has got to have the least direction of any JRPG. There's rarely a "Hey, we should go talk to Cid!" or dialogue clues. Don't get me wrong, there's usually only like one place to go, but I just got the airship, and the gunship thing kicked my rear end which has me thinking I need to go seek out other stuff in the world. Naturally, there's no indication of where to even go or what to look for.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
That part in particular is pretty vague, but you're still trying to save the Earth Crystal, so go back to where it is, the area after the desert where you teleported to the dungeon with the airship.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

fruitpunch posted:

FFX-2 is by far the better game, but I'm enjoying this playthrough of FFX HD, maybe even more than I did before. I put like 400 hours into X 10 years ago, and never beat Nemesis or Penance, but I really don't feel like I'll do that this time, but I really do enjoy the endgame.

After fighting all the dark aeons straight except Bahamut, I proceeded to Zanmato Penance because gently caress it, I'm done with this game. It was good but I just plain burnt out.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Today, May 8th 2015, will mark the ninth year anniversary of Final Fantasy Versus XIII's announcement. Here is a press release by Square-Enix for their e3 re-show:

Square-Enix Press Release posted:

FINAL FANTASY Versus XIII for PlayStation 3 system
Harmony is realized in this alternate tale of FINAL FANTASY XIII

Not a merely a sequel, but a wholly independent story unfolding in a different world with different characters. This title will appear alongside FINAL FANTASY XIII on the PlayStation 3 system.

When coupled with FINAL FANTASY XIII, FINAL FANTASY Versus XIII completes the core of the FABULA NOVA CRYSTALLIS Project.

*This title is not yet concept approved by Sony Computer Entertainment America

Key Development Staff
Director & Character designer: Tetsuya Nomura (FINAL FANTASY V~VIII, FINAL FANTASY X, FINAL FANTASY VII ADVENT CHILDREN, KINGDOM HEARTS)
Movie director: Takeshi Nozue (FINAL FANTASY IX, FINAL FANTASY X, FINAL FANTASY VII ADVENT CHILDREN, KINGDOM HEARTS)
Composer: Yoko Shimomura (LEGEND OF MANA, Parasite EVE, KINGDOM HEARTS)
Producer: Shinji Hashimoto

http://www.square-enix.com/na/company/press/2006/0508_1/

Well, at least Shimomura is still doing the music.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Use your Japanese game industry knowledge to make SE release DQMSL in English.

It just passed 13 million downloads, ranks in the top five iOS F2P charts, makes about $10 million a month, and Square-Enix wants more worldwide mobile hits.

Give it time.

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

Finally, a good reason to punch a teenager in the face!

yeah you have a serious problem

Nothing pissing away more disposable income won't fix.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Saxophone posted:

I'm playing through FFV for the first time now and in general enjoying it, but jesus this game has got to have the least direction of any JRPG. There's rarely a "Hey, we should go talk to Cid!" or dialogue clues. Don't get me wrong, there's usually only like one place to go, but I just got the airship, and the gunship thing kicked my rear end which has me thinking I need to go seek out other stuff in the world. Naturally, there's no indication of where to even go or what to look for.

This is by far my personal favorite FF, due to how hands off it is and how much it feels like a internal test-bed beta of different crazy abilities and classes they were coming up with at the time, before all the story and player-experience-focused features have been added it. I think this is also the reason so many consider it one of the weaker ones. Different strokes and all that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sunning posted:

Today, May 8th 2015, will mark the ninth year anniversary of Final Fantasy Versus XIII's announcement.

That's rad

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'll gladly wait 9 years for a Cid as sexy as the one in FFXV.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which took place in 2027, made a joke at FFs expense by having a poster for Final Fantasy XXVII in the game. Its doubly funny at this point

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

dis astranagant posted:

Anyone know of an amusing FFV hack that isn't Ancient Cave or that dumb Custom Jobs hack? The wait for fiesta is killing me but I don't want to burn out on it before it starts again this year.
I am extremely excited for the fiesta and I do have a hack! Unfortunately I didn't work on it much, it just has a new job (unlocks at the first crystal) and minor changes. Download here! To patch it, use this program or this program on a clean US GBA ROM. Here's a screenshot that will surely entice you to try it...

Notable changes include: !Gaia is actually a mildly amusing skill to use since it's not level-dependent (and can cast Shadowflare 2% of the time), Brave Blade's power depends on the number of enemies you killed instead of the number of times you've run away, Spears can be doublehanded and Dragoons can doublehand, Berserkers have Mime slots (3 extra skills!), and you can spellblade Fists. You can finally have those fists of fire. Red Mages take longer to !Dualcast, because they can now learn Black4/White4.

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 9, 2015

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Can Of Worms posted:

I am extremely excited for the fiesta and I do have a hack! Unfortunately I didn't work on it much, it just has a new job and minor changes. Download here! Here's a screenshot that will surely entice you to try it...

What are the changes and what crystal does that correspond to

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Can Of Worms posted:

I am extremely excited for the fiesta and I do have a hack! Unfortunately I didn't work on it much, it just has a new job and minor changes. Download here! Here's a screenshot that will surely entice you to try it...

Other notable changes include: !Gaia is actually a mildly amusing skill to use since it's not level-dependent (and can cast Shadowflare 2% of the time), Brave Blade's power depends on the number of enemies you killed instead of the number of times you've run away, Spears can be doublehanded and Dragoons can doublehand, Berserkers have Mime slots (3 extra skills!), and you can spellblade Fists. You can finally have those fists of fire.

Oh yeah, I remember you talking about that last year. I'll have to check it out. And what do I need to handle a "ups" file?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
I can't believe I forgot that bit. Use this utility on a clean, FFVA (US) ROM. If that one causes problems, this one should also work.

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 9, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Having seen gameplay of FFX HD for PS4, I think if I paid anything more than £10 for it, I'd be ripped off. It looks awful.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Sunning posted:

Today, May 8th 2015, will mark the ninth year anniversary of Final Fantasy Versus XIII's announcement.

Here's to nine more years of FF15 hype!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Can we make a full decade of FFvs13 hype?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Honestly? Very likely.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

This is by far my personal favorite FF, due to how hands off it is and how much it feels like a internal test-bed beta of different crazy abilities and classes they were coming up with at the time, before all the story and player-experience-focused features have been added it. I think this is also the reason so many consider it one of the weaker ones. Different strokes and all that.

My problem with it was importing players were claiming it was "the best FF and the west never got to play it." There was just so much hype for it, so expectations were too high. A story on par with or better than 4 and 6 and a job system as good as FFT's? It ended up failing on both fronts, especially with the story. For a while, I hated it.

I came back to it later and played it on its own merits and yeah, it turns out it's a fun game when you haven't built up an impossible idealization. Lots of customization, freedom, and a goofy plot in a good sort of way.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Aurain posted:

Having seen gameplay of FFX HD for PS4, I think if I paid anything more than £10 for it, I'd be ripped off. It looks awful.

Really? Why?

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Pureauthor posted:

Relive the hype! These are the reactions for Square-Enix e3 2006 conference thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1871346

Beanpants posted:

We haven't had a real Final Fantasy in 3 years, and if you don't count FFXI, Five. FFXII isn't even out yet, and it will be another few years before we see these games released. I see where your reasoning comes in, but I don't think it applies here. Only two of the games presented require large development teams, one of which has been working on it already for a least a year already, most likely much longer (they stopped to begin work on the FFVII tech demo). The other is fresh off of a film release, as well as a very well put together and polished game (whether you liked the story or not, Kingdom Hearts II was a very high production). I don't think there is even a remote chance that these games are going to be rushed out the door half assed.

The hype was real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Tempo 119 posted:

After everyone was talking about FJF-alikes yesterday, I had a go at developing a run for X-2 HD where you ditch YRP after the intro and get a random set of fiends to use (8 total, NG+ optional, at least 2 available on chapter 1, Brother is wild).

After playtesting for a while, the good news is I'm pretty sure it's flexible enough to work, technically speaking. The bad news is I totally forgot that captured fiends are all AI-controlled, and it's actually super loving boring. Oh well!

Yeah AI members are lame. A X-2 fiesta works just fine using a random set of jobs. Or you could go hog wild and do some crazy variation of a 1/1/2 challenge