Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mooseykins posted:

Can't speak for all of Spain, but in the very south there appear to be no rules and no police on the roads. They do what they want, and it's a mix of hilarious and horrendous. When i drove my car there i was pleased that it has enough to power to get out of trouble if needed, made use of that a few times.

Traffic here (Seville) is heinous, and I'm glad for the public transit system that means I don't have to deal with it. I feel it's beneficial for both my physical and mental well-being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
http://i.imgur.com/RJSH2my.gifv

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Such a short clip begs so many questions about if the van had 4WD and what kind of tires, and if there was even a second person in the van, or maybe there was a trailer underwater that we can't see and this guy overshot it--but then I recentered my chi and chanted the wisdom of the ancients, "peeeepullll arrrrrr dummmmmmb"

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Such a short clip raises so many questions about if the van had 4WD and what kind of tires, and if there was even a second person in the van, or maybe there was a trailer underwater that we can't see and this guy overshot it--but then I recentered my chi and chanted the wisdom of the ancients, "peeeepullll arrrrrr dummmmmmb"

My only question was whether he did that out of laziness or because he couldn't lift the jetski into the van on land and had no equipment to do it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

wayfinder posted:

My only question was whether he did that out of laziness or because he couldn't lift the jetski into the van on land and had no equipment to do it.

I saw a guy do this once with a Subaru Outback and a dinghy, but that thing has AWD and he didn't dip the entire car into the water, but deployed a few planks to use to help push the dinghy inside.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Flint Ironstag posted:

Once you pointed it out, the van is, um, a bit bent.

But the one that got me is the flatbed driver at about :50. Seems like tow truck drivers are the same everywhere. Cabbies with tougher bumpers.

Mind you, Mooseykins should have backed off that truck once it cut him off. Never follow an erratic driver closely - you'll get caught up in their bullshit.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Coming up on road construction today on the interstate, traffic was stopped all the way back past the "left lane closed 1 mile ahead" sign. People start clearing out of the left lane ahead of me and I see the problem, Mr. Hero weaving back and forth blocking people from passing him in the left lane or right lane. Everyone ahead of me in the left lane sees this up ahead and just tries to merge right immediately, causing everyone to stop and stay stopped in both lanes. I passed him on the shoulder and gave him a hearty "gently caress you!" as he angrily waved his fist at me. Proceeded to cruise the entire ONE MILE in the left lane to the merge point. I know this thread has been over it a million times but goddamn what the gently caress. If the construction zone is 3 miles long and you are tacking an additional 1.5 miles onto it you're just making everything harder than it has to be.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

beejay posted:

Coming up on road construction today on the interstate, traffic was stopped all the way back past the "left lane closed 1 mile ahead" sign. People start clearing out of the left lane ahead of me and I see the problem, Mr. Hero weaving back and forth blocking people from passing him in the left lane or right lane. Everyone ahead of me in the left lane sees this up ahead and just tries to merge right immediately, causing everyone to stop and stay stopped in both lanes. I passed him on the shoulder and gave him a hearty "gently caress you!" as he angrily waved his fist at me. Proceeded to cruise the entire ONE MILE in the left lane to the merge point. I know this thread has been over it a million times but goddamn what the gently caress. If the construction zone is 3 miles long and you are tacking an additional 1.5 miles onto it you're just making everything harder than it has to be.

Actually had a semi try to cut me off and prevent me from merging when I did this a couple months ago (except for the shoulder pass part, nobody was blocking the lane at all) when everyone was merging a mile+ too early. WTF dude, are you really going to risk your CDL because you think I shouldn't have driven up to where the actual construction merge was?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I thought Memphis driving was bad - the whole state of South Carolina is awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UluShy5Auxo

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Goober Peas posted:

I thought Memphis driving was bad - the whole state of South Carolina is awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UluShy5Auxo

I hate videos like these. 99% of the time it's the driver in the video being a awful prick escalating a small mistake.

Oh this driver didn't use the turn lane? BETTER ZOOM AROUND HIM INTO THE GRASS!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Hey rear end in a top hat with the Tennessee plates, I don't know how they do it where you're from, but here, we don't stop in the loving iPass lane on the interstate.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Was this in one of the "rolling tollgate" lanes (as in, you divert around the toll gates at full speed) or just a normal toll lane without a gate that you roll through at 15-20 MPH?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Yeah, the later. I'm guessing they thought it was the coin lane and we're confused there was no coin slot.

Also, it's Chicagoland, so more of a 35-40 mph lane.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

In AZ today I witnessed the glory of a motorhome towing a car racing another motorhome towing a jeep up a mountain going about .25mph faster. 35mph up the hill in a 75mph zone.

gently caress tourists forever.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Every time I see one of those land zeppelins flat towing a vehicle behind it I very briefly assume it's the world's most audacious tailgater/drafter. Then I realize what I'm really seeing and hate the driver. I don't know why, but a land zeppelin on its' own isn't nearly as bad as one towing another vehicle behind it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Bovril Delight posted:

Indeed.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Bovril Delight posted:

In AZ today I witnessed the glory of a motorhome towing a car racing another motorhome towing a jeep up a mountain going about .25mph faster. 35mph up the hill in a 75mph zone.

I17 north of Maricopa or I40 anywhere near Flagstaff? I used to drive both pretty frequently and hated the god damned tourists in their rental RVs.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
People you share a parking lot with

blk
Dec 19, 2009
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pG2urgjFUuI

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Flint Ironstag posted:

Once you pointed it out, the van is, um, a bit bent.

But the one that got me is the flatbed driver at about :50. Seems like tow truck drivers are the same everywhere. Cabbies with tougher bumpers.

I think that's how mine drove with a broken spring and the rear axle shifted 5" forward on one side. It looked really pissed driving behind it.

Tow truck drivers, yes, but the worst here are the scrap metal haulers. Big trucks, big trailers, steel bumpers, no fucks given.

PT6A posted:

Traffic here (Seville) is heinous, and I'm glad for the public transit system that means I don't have to deal with it. I feel it's beneficial for both my physical and mental well-being.

Haven't been there yet, trying to get work to take me there. We have an aparment in Benalmadena, so driven around there a bit and it's all crazy. Driving through the middle of Madrid was surprisingly civilized.

Some of the Sheep posted:

Mind you, Mooseykins should have backed off that truck once it cut him off. Never follow an erratic driver closely - you'll get caught up in their bullshit.

I actually stopped to let him go, and was probably 60' back from him going down that road. He stopped pretty sudden and my van doesn't brake quite as well as a car. Sure would've made a mess of it if i'd hit him.

I'll see what i've got on the camera no if there's anything good on there.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Tex Avery posted:

I17 north of Maricopa or I40 anywhere near Flagstaff? I used to drive both pretty frequently and hated the god damned tourists in their rental RVs.

I17 yep.

Made up for it on 160 though, empty as can be.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Mooseykins posted:

I actually stopped to let him go, and was probably 60' back from him going down that road. He stopped pretty sudden and my van doesn't brake quite as well as a car. Sure would've made a mess of it if i'd hit him.
Yes, that's why he said you should have backed off. Since it doesn't appear to have been clear, you should've backed off more.

ratbert90 posted:

I hate videos like these. 99% of the time it's the driver in the video being a awful prick escalating a small mistake.

Oh this driver didn't use the turn lane? BETTER ZOOM AROUND HIM INTO THE GRASS!
No one who scoffs that much can possibly be right. I like how he gets outraged (verbally, on camera) that someone wants to turn left from the left lane but stops to let them do it.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Krakkles posted:

No one who scoffs that much can possibly be right. I like how he gets outraged (verbally, on camera) that someone wants to turn left from the left lane but stops to let them do it.

Like I said -- bad drivers in South Carolina -- Mr Videographer is one of them ;D

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Goober Peas posted:

Like I said -- bad drivers in South Carolina -- Mr Videographer is one of them ;D
Hah! Yeah, I guess it's just one of those really meta things about life.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm lucky I don't trust people to know traffic rules. Had to slam on the brakes to not get hit from the left by someone who obviously doesn't know that you have to stop for traffic coming from the right, unless other signs say otherwise over here. Visibility was poor as well and the dude in the other car came at way too high speed for the conditions (narrow street with parked cars on both sides).

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 9, 2015

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
At a merge point, woman coming from the lane to the right has a yield sign. Traffic moves, she's busy chatting on her phone and smoking, one in each hand, doesn't move. So I move up.

Immediately she stands on her accelerator and screams "You loving rear end in a top hat, this is a loving merge!" and throws the cigarette at my open window. She missed or there'd have been words.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

PCOS Bill posted:

At a merge point, woman coming from the lane to the right has a yield sign. Traffic moves, she's busy chatting on her phone and smoking, one in each hand, doesn't move. So I move up.

Immediately she stands on her accelerator and screams "You loving rear end in a top hat, this is a loving merge!" and throws the cigarette at my open window. She missed or there'd have been words.

Invest in a box of those paint bombs they put in fake money in banks.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

DEAR RICHARD posted:

People you share a parking lot with

Beaverton Town Square?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

PCOS Bill posted:

You made someone mad enough to buy you a furry title?

NICE.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

InterceptorV8 posted:

You made someone mad enough to buy you a furry title?

NICE.

Twice. It was originally just the picture, then someone paid another $10 to add two words.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

PCOS Bill posted:

Twice. It was originally just the picture, then someone paid another $10 to add two words.

So loving mad they couldn't even remember to type in the words in RED TEXT.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mooseykins posted:

Haven't been there yet, trying to get work to take me there. We have an aparment in Benalmadena, so driven around there a bit and it's all crazy. Driving through the middle of Madrid was surprisingly civilized.

I'd try driving here, except all the roads change names every few blocks, and join each other at strange angles, and I'm still not sure if I get what the traffic lights mean. I was surprised to find out that traffic turning right on their own green light must stop and queue at the crosswalk until the "green man" starts flashing; I'm guessing I probably would've blown all kinds of lights if I rented a car here (and I'd probably still be trying to figure out how to get back to my apartment).

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

SyHopeful posted:

Beaverton Town Square?

Hollywood Fred Meyer

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

PT6A posted:

I'd try driving here, except all the roads change names every few blocks, and join each other at strange angles, and I'm still not sure if I get what the traffic lights mean. I was surprised to find out that traffic turning right on their own green light must stop and queue at the crosswalk until the "green man" starts flashing; I'm guessing I probably would've blown all kinds of lights if I rented a car here (and I'd probably still be trying to figure out how to get back to my apartment).

/Europe

We make it up as we go along. That sounds like most of Spain, but where i go no-one gives a gently caress and generally does what they want. I can't tell you how many traffic violations i must've made driving through Europe.

Some roads are fantastic, perfectly smooth and great fun. There's a mountain road right by our apartment, barely wide enough for 2 cars, no guardrails, road surface hosed, blind corners. Great in a rental, terrifying in a car you actually like.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

PCOS Bill posted:

Pretty accurate though.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
So Illinois got schwacked by a bit of a storm earlier today where it must have dropped visibility down to zero. To a lot of people in this state, that means jump in the far left lane and aggressively tailgate people with their lights off.

Also I'm getting more and more frustrated with drivers not using their cruise control on the highway. I jump on 355 and set my cruise for 70. I'll clearly be coming up to someone and change lanes to overtake them. This usually causes two responses from the driver I'm attempting to pass: 1.) Better speed up, like gently caress someone is going to pass me! Or 2.) after this person passes me, I will increase my speed after a minute, pass Mr Ringo, get in front of him, then resume the speed that I was going when originally passed by Mr Ringo minutes earlier.

All I want to do is drive in the middle lane, away from the merging/exiting traffic and from the psychopaths going 90 in a 65 on the goddamn highway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, lots of plugged storm drains too.

I will never understand why people drop to 2 mph to creep through a deep puddle. Your car is gonna get drenched no matter what you do, might as well pick a speed that will carry you through if the car stalls for some reason. And the crest looks way cooler when you go faster.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

xzzy posted:

Yeah, lots of plugged storm drains too.

I will never understand why people drop to 2 mph to creep through a deep puddle. Your car is gonna get drenched no matter what you do, might as well pick a speed that will carry you through if the car stalls for some reason. And the crest looks way cooler when you go faster.

Because you don't know how deep it is or what is in it. A 3" deep muddy puddle looks about the same as a 1' deep muddy puddle. If you take it slowly, you have the option to abort if things start getting sketchy.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW4Z5RfyOlg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Raluek posted:

Because you don't know how deep it is or what is in it. A 3" deep muddy puddle looks about the same as a 1' deep muddy puddle. If you take it slowly, you have the option to abort if things start getting sketchy.

Well yes, if you're the only one on the road. But during rush hour when you just saw a car in front of you roll through?