Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Coca tea is used to help with the altitude when hiking around South America, right?

I don't know if it actually helps with breathing or just gives you a little kick to get to the top but I imagine if the minuscule amounts of cocaine in tea help then a couple lines would help a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

the amount they used in topical pain relievers is way, way closer to tea than powder. especially eyedrops.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

BrainDance posted:

I don't know if it actually helps with breathing or just gives you a little kick to get to the top but I imagine if the minuscule amounts of cocaine in tea help then a couple lines would help a lot more.

A friend once gave me coca tea as a gift from his trip to Peru. I'm not sure if it was the genuine stuff, but I swear it gave me a lovely burst of pep whenever I had it at the office. Maybe it was a placebo. Probably a placebo.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

my nepali/bhutanese friends have been giving me paan and gutka lately, which give you a nice little high

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Chappers posted:

A friend once gave me coca tea as a gift from his trip to Peru. I'm not sure if it was the genuine stuff, but I swear it gave me a lovely burst of pep whenever I had it at the office. Maybe it was a placebo. Probably a placebo.

Considering coca leaves are illegal and considered the same as cocaine in many countries, congrats on doing drugs I guess.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Cojawfee posted:

Considering coca leaves are illegal and considered the same as cocaine in many countries, congrats on doing drugs I guess.

Congrats on being a buzzkill

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Lol lookit this tightass

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

here's an article with more on the subject. The Scott expedition carried with them a bottle of Forced March cocaine pills

Fluo
May 25, 2007

I saw a good documentary movie thing on that Everest climb a few years ago with the different countries. It was hosed up :smith:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Broken Machine posted:

here's an article with more on the subject. The Scott expedition carried with them a bottle of Forced March cocaine pills

quote:

Psychoactive drugs were also on hand, Francis writes. Cocaine was "dripped in the eye to cure snowblindness." Diarrhea was treated with "chalk ground up with opium." Colic called for "tincture of cannabis" mixed with "tincture of chilli pepper." As our friends at the Two-Way have reported, they also had plenty of whisky on hand.

Hell yes. Climbing Everest was much cooler back then.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Last Chance posted:

Hell yes. Climbing Everest was much cooler back then.

Not sure about colic but the cocaine and opium treatments are legit. Cocaine is still used as a topical anaesthetic in ear surgery and opiates will back you up pretty good.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Cocaine eyedrops sounds like wacky Wall Street hijinks but is probably one of the least worrisome medicines back in the day.

I would love to see a gritty reboot of Oregon Trail where everyone ends up addicted to opiates from all the dysentery treatment.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 8, 2015

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Cojawfee posted:

Oh no! He did drugs. What a terrible human.

I'm more curious how his friend managed to get that one past customs.

"Yes officer, it's tea made from coca leaves, and totally not as illegal as cocaine.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Is that Everest movie coming out in September supposed to be good? Someone told me about it today and that it's based off of Into Thin Air

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I had coca tea when I was in Cusco. I think caffeine's affected me more. It didn't do much.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Meatwave posted:

Yeah gently caress sliding down into this deathhole.

nope.jpg

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I will climb Everest on meth

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Better yet, bath salts

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

I will climb Everest on meth

So you'll end up on the roof of your local 711?

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

ZombieLenin posted:

"Yes officer, it's tea made from coca leaves, and totally not as illegal as cocaine.

Decocainized coca tea is a thing and I have seen it for sale at a tea shop here (Canada.) Most likely this is what his friend brought back. LOL at the "congrats on doing drugs" guy though.

Ogive
Dec 22, 2002

by Lowtax

Trillian posted:

LOL at the "congrats on doing drugs" guy though.

Yeah, there should be a word for "embarrassment by proxy."

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Ogive posted:

Yeah, there should be a word for "embarrassment by proxy."

fremdschämen

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ZombieLenin posted:

Customs isn't really all that gnarly if you just put tea in your luggage and don't declare it nothing will happen.

I took a bong through customs and they didn't say poo poo, same with a jar full of cannabutter. I've brought through switchblades and various other illegal poo poo I picked up in Eastern Europe. As long as it's not obviously drugs or drug smuggling they won't even notice - for the most part they're looking for smugglers or people trying to dodge taxes by bringing in $100,000 cash.

The most static I've ever got from customs was when I forgot about a banana in my carry on and I was entering CA and they were all 'throw that banana away or we'll fine you $100!' They're really worried about random agricultural parasites and fruit flies you might be bringing in since a ton of farming goes on in CA.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 8, 2015

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Is that Everest movie coming out in September supposed to be good? Someone told me about it today and that it's based off of Into Thin Air

Some people on IMDB have seen it and said it was good but who knows. Cast is decent at least. Never heard of the director.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

monster on a stick posted:

Some people on IMDB have seen it and said it was good but who knows. Cast is decent at least. Never heard of the director.

It's got Clive Standen in it so it could be poo poo but I won't care cos look at him. (Yeah I know he won't be shirtless for it but eh any excuse to ogle.)

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Oh my. :allears:

Who's he playing?

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

pookel posted:

Oh my. :allears:

Who's he playing?

Krakouer. Obviously. Dude is like a statue.

Edit: He actually plays Ed Viesturs, which is almost as funny. World class climbers usually have slight frames.

When I first heard the stories about Boukareev I always expected a burly Russian guy, but he was a pretty slight man. Climber/mountaineers just aren't large people.

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 8, 2015

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I don't know if this has been brought up in the thread, but there is an Everest opera based on the 1996 disaster.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
my favorite story of everest is that mr show sketch 'the story of everest' - still as relevant, touching and inspiring as it ever was.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

ZombieLenin posted:

You need pounds and pounds of coca leaves to produce even a minuscule amount of coke. Customs probably doesn't bother looking for it because you'd pretty much need to be checking in bales of leaves to smuggle more than a few dollars worth.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Glaciers sound really dangerous to walk across

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ZombieLenin posted:

You're right, I hate drugs, and they are bad. Anyone who even thinks of drugs is scum. You really nailed it.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Cojawfee posted:

You're right, I hate drugs, and they are bad. Anyone who even thinks of drugs is scum. You really nailed it.

I was totally agreeing with you.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I sort of like drugs. :shrug:

In other news, fans of Mr. Steck should check out his facebook page. Apparently he's climbing in Utah with a broken ankle. It's odd to see him not surrounded by snow.

Happy Hedonist fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 8, 2015

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Moridin920 posted:

Customs isn't really all that gnarly if you just put tea in your luggage and don't declare it nothing will happen.

I took a bong through customs and they didn't say poo poo, same with a jar full of cannabutter. I've brought through switchblades and various other illegal poo poo I picked up in Eastern Europe. As long as it's not obviously drugs or drug smuggling they won't even notice - for the most part they're looking for smugglers or people trying to dodge taxes by bringing in $100,000 cash.

The most static I've ever got from customs was when I forgot about a banana in my carry on and I was entering CA and they were all 'throw that banana away or we'll fine you $100!' They're really worried about random agricultural parasites and fruit flies you might be bringing in since a ton of farming goes on in CA.

In Australia you get massive fines and police coming to your door if you try bring in a balisong.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

jre posted:

fremdschämen

Of loving course German has a word for this.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Trillian posted:

Decocainized coca tea is a thing and I have seen it for sale at a tea shop here (Canada.) Most likely this is what his friend brought back. LOL at the "congrats on doing drugs" guy though.

http://www.bouncingbearbotanicals.com/coca-leaf-p-926.html#.VU1PUHZlBTc

Completely legal around the world apparently!

evilneanderthal
Mar 5, 2008

After school we'd all go play in his cave, and every once in a while he would eat one of us. It wasn't until later that I found out that Uncle Caveman was a bear.
Cocaine eye drops are still used in modern medicine. Source: optometrist wife. It wouldn't surprise me if modern climbers carried them for snow blindness.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
yep cocaine is a really good anaesthetic and widely used in ent surgery

heroin is still pretty commonly used in the uk as well

e: for other things, but people are often a bit surprised

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic