Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

its been difficult for me to keep my protein intake high ever since the butcher stopped selling sausages in long strings which i could just grasp in my mouth while bolting for the door

well in taht particular example id go with hiding full ham hocks behind your back and edging towards the door while whistling Strolling Through the Park

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Undocumented immigrants often do file taxes, they just file them under a fraudulent social security number. Black/Grey market workers might file to collect subsidies or to provide a plausible cover for illegal activities.

I am excited to hear how you think this is relevant to the discussion at hand.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

JeffersonClay posted:

Undocumented immigrants often do file taxes, they just file them under a fraudulent social security number. Black/Grey market workers might file to collect subsidies or to provide a plausible cover for illegal activities.

I am excited to hear how you think this is relevant to the discussion at hand.

You're the guy saying that increasing the EITC would be better than raising the minimum wage, and using that as supporting evidence. Your argument for why the EITC would affect people paid illegally is that you are sure they commit Social Security fraud and tax fraud on a large scale, which we should in turn enable.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
You misunderstand. The EITC won't help undocumented immigrants or underground workers. The EITC could boost the incomes of poor workers without causing price inflation because the money comes from the government rather than businesses. It has the same benefits(except for soak the rich schadenfreude), and fewer negatives.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Popular Thug Drink posted:

its been difficult for me to keep my protein intake high ever since the butcher stopped selling sausages in long strings which i could just grasp in my mouth while bolting for the door
I know several people whose method for stealing from grocery stores is filling a cart or reusable bags and walking out the door.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol he thinks 13 posts a day is hard core, naive child.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

LorrdErnie posted:

I know several people whose method for stealing from grocery stores is filling a cart or reusable bags and walking out the door.

Theft from grocery stores should be impossible though.

By that I mean with all the loving money we pay to farmers all non-processed foods should be free because why the gently caress are people going hungry in this loving country for any reason other than right wing assholes wanting poor people's lives to be more miserable than they already are.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

A Winner is Jew posted:

By that I mean with all the loving money we pay to farmers all non-processed foods should be free because why the gently caress are people going hungry in this loving country for any reason other than right wing assholes wanting poor people's lives to be more miserable than they already are.

Poor people's lives being miserable is a by product of the systems by which right wing assholes get and stay rich. In order to protect those systems from pushback due to them making people's lives miserable, we have to normalize the misery of poor people. It should be made to appear acceptable or even desirable, so that it will not be an impetus for resistance. Right wing assholes generally don't want anyone to be miserable, they just don't care if people are miserable.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

VideoTapir posted:

Poor people's lives being miserable is a by product of the systems by which right wing assholes get and stay rich. In order to protect those systems from pushback due to them making people's lives miserable, we have to normalize the misery of poor people. It should be made to appear acceptable or even desirable, so that it will not be an impetus for resistance. Right wing assholes generally don't want anyone to be miserable, they just don't care if people are miserable.

Is it really only right wing? Did all the left wing richies get that way through love and kindness?

I know the answer, I just think it's funny how myopic you people are.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yeah it would definitely be nice if they weren't risking prison to eat. Your reasoning is why I have literally 0 moral issue with it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Is it really only right wing? Did all the left wing richies get that way through love and kindness?

I know that you're trolling but it's cute how unintentionally right you are. No one gets rich in capitalism without oppressing the working class, even ~liberal saviors~ like warren buffet.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

What do you mean you people!? :colbert:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

spacetoaster posted:

you people

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Impermanent posted:

I know that you're trolling but it's cute how unintentionally right you are. No one gets rich in capitalism without oppressing the working class, even ~liberal saviors~ like warren buffet.

James Sinegal would like a word with you.

But yes, the rich in this country regardless of their political affiliation are only rich because it's easy to gently caress over desperate people that will work for poo poo wages which is why things like a living wage, or at the very least a minimum wage that's actually tied to inflation is a good thing.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

spacetoaster posted:

Not all of them, but I didn't suggest that they did. The subject was right wingers. A rich person who got rich via exploitative labor either directly or indirectly and who does not behave in a way consistent with what I said just isn't defending their gravy train.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Please don't intellectual loving child watermelon gently caress shame.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

President Kucinich posted:

Wait he's loving child watermelons this is an all new revelation!

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

loving watermelons should be a pursuit open to all workers.

Even I; an intellectual loving child, can see this truth.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Impermanent posted:

Define "rich".

RavenKrows
May 29, 2008

LorrdErnie posted:

Yeah it would definitely be nice if they weren't risking prison to eat. Your reasoning is why I have literally 0 moral issue with it.

They're not going to prison. Also if they go to jail they get food I don't see the problem geez dude get a grip.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

JeffersonClay posted:

You misunderstand. The EITC won't help undocumented immigrants or underground workers. The EITC could boost the incomes of poor workers without causing price inflation because the money comes from the government rather than businesses. It has the same benefits(except for soak the rich schadenfreude), and fewer negatives.

Ultimately the problem with the EITC is it is tied to the tax code, and that makes it really a issue for most poor people who live week. An emphasis on a minimum wage would do more for working people by giving them the ability to spend on a reliable basis. Also by being tied to the budget the EITC is going to be an issue in a way a minimum wage isn't.

Also it could be argued that the EITC would still likely lead to price increases because the government will likely have to increase taxes to pay for it or if it deficits spends it has to increase the money supply. Ultimately, I don't think it is necessarily that big of a deal though if only because we do have some systems in place to account for increasing prices.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

RavenKrows posted:

They're not going to prison. Also if they go to jail they get food I don't see the problem geez dude get a grip.

Yeah that's actually mostly true. I was misremembering the petty larceny cutoff in my state. They can go to prison for a short while on a second offense but they probably won't. Thanks for that it's nice to know the world's not quite as poo poo as I thought it was.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Ardennes posted:

Ultimately the problem with the EITC is it is tied to the tax code, and that makes it really a issue for most poor people who live week. An emphasis on a minimum wage would do more for working people by giving them the ability to spend on a reliable basis. Also by being tied to the budget the EITC is going to be an issue in a way a minimum wage isn't.

Also it could be argued that the EITC would still likely lead to price increases because the government will likely have to increase taxes to pay for it or if it deficits spends it has to increase the money supply. Ultimately, I don't think it is necessarily that big of a deal though if only because we do have some systems in place to account for increasing prices.

Porque no los dos?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

How you can pay for food without working:

You are retired and live on a pension or savings and social security.
You are disabled and receive Social Security Disability Insurance.
You are unemployed and collecting TANF benefits.

Also minimum wage laws wouldn't affect the wages paid to undocumented immigrants or people employed in the underground economy, and these people would still be harmed by price inflation.

You have to eventually work for tanf and you must have worked in the past to get ssdi.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean you also have to have kids to get Tanf.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Effectronica posted:

Undocumented immigrants and people in black/gray-market employment file income tax returns?

Some do, actually. But yeah generally the law is not going to be able to protect people living outside of it. Fixing that is going to require completely different policies.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Of course, doing so would require acknowledging that such people both need and deserve help, which a lot of people seem to have a serious problem with.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

How are you this ignorant about mathematics and simultaneously this smug. Without knowing the underlying distribution, there's no way to know whether the deviation from linearity is great enough to make any difference, and you certainly can't just assume that it's the same effect as paying everyone $100/hr. Since, you know, to go to $100/hr you have to add $85 to everyone who was already making $15, and that $85 is almost six times what they were already being paid.

Seattle passed a $15 minimum wage last year, are you going to tell me it'd make no difference if they'd passed a $100 minimum wage instead?

I love that you're calling me ignorant for not claiming to be ignorant about wage distribution and also didn't understand the math (you thought I was saying wage distribution wasn't liner - I wasn't. Linear wage distribution is exponential impact actually)

If only we knew the wage distributions!

Answer: 42% of people make under $15 an hour. 4.3% make minimum wage today. Thus an increase to $15 is roughly a 10X increase (1 order of magnitude) in the number of people impacted by minimum wage and simultaneously increases the wages to every one of them. That's larger than an order of magnitude in terms of dollars.

http://www.nelp.org/publication/growing-movement-15/
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=percent%20of%20people%20making%20minimum%20wage

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

asdf32 posted:

I love that you're calling me ignorant for not claiming to be ignorant about wage distribution and also didn't understand the math (you thought I was saying wage distribution wasn't liner - I wasn't. Linear wage distribution is exponential impact actually)

Answer: 42% of people make under $15 an hour. 4.3% make minimum wage today. Thus an increase to $15 is roughly a 10X increase (1 order of magnitude) in the number of people impacted by minimum wage and simultaneously increases the wages to every one of them. That's larger than an order of magnitude in terms of dollars.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=percent%20of%20people%20making%20minimum%20wage

Giving 42% of workers a raise seems like a good idea idk

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No those poor workers will probably not spend that money.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Porque no los dos?

You can do both, but the effort is better spent on a minimum wage, especially because of budget paranoia. There are a lot of the tools in the toolbox that often work well together, the question is getting a chance to do it.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

euphronius posted:

No those poor workers will probably not spend that money.

Yeah, it's far better to let the companies keep that money since they will absolutely not give it to wealthy investors or just strait up horde it...

of course, those loving poors are only poor because they spend their money on stupid poo poo

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

asdf32 posted:

lol

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
having this asdf guy around is like a resident court monkey

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

asdf32 posted:

Define "rich".

your posting

asdf32 posted:

lol, almost as good as Arkane trying to do math in the Climate thread

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

Giving 42% of workers a raise seems like a good idea idk

Right I should have anticipated this. After arguing that 15 is only 50% more than 10 the thread is going to shift to "But 2500% is no problem either".

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

asdf32 posted:

Right I should have anticipated this. After arguing that 15 is only 50% more than 10 the thread is going to shift to "But 2500% is no problem either".

A two hundred dollar minimum wage, eh?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

asdf32 posted:

How many intellectually childish watermelons are you loving per day you sick bastard.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

asdf32 posted:

Kudos on completing remedial percentages asdf!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

spacetoaster posted:

maybe we forgive the left wing richies like FDR because they try to give back and give voice to the working class, makes u think

• Locked thread