Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Venom Snake posted:

maybe we forgive the left wing richies like FDR because they try to give back and give voice to the working class, makes u think

FDR only did it because he didn't want the labor unions and the communists burning everything down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

paragon1 posted:

FDR only did it because he didn't want the labor unions and the communists burning everything down.

yes and

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

wateroverfire posted:

LET US ENGAGE IN HYPERBOLE TO TEST THE VALIDITY OF THIS PROPOSITION WITH A THOUGHT EXPERIMENT.

If the increase were to $50/hour would you expect a rise in general prices?

If so, what level of increase would you not expect to create a rise in prices and why is that your breakpoint?

God bless.
Why the gently caress does arguing an increase in the minimum wage necessitate a full characterization of the 'minimum wage vs. total utility' relation? Does the same argument apply in reverse? Does this same logic apply to any other issue, or are you just throwing this out here because you think this is some kind of 'gotcha'?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

euphronius posted:

You have to eventually work for tanf and you must have worked in the past to get ssdi.

We agree that there currently exist poor people who benefit from these programs, right? Those people will be harmed by price inflation, and therefore by a significant minimum wage increase.

You don't need to have ever worked to get ssdi, you're thinking of ssi.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Well you aren't exactly super left wing if you only do left wing things out of fear people will take all your stuff, are you? Clearly what we need is more labor organizers and communists threatening to burn everything.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Unless you can tell me the exact optimal percentage of government expenditure 'school spending' should be at, all schools must be defunded - a moron

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The fundamental stupidity and malevolence of those opposed to the minimum wage masks a basically good point: increasing the minimum wage too substantially cuts into profits which the owners will then attempt to recoup by cutting costs and raising prices. A better solution is to share 100% of the profits among the employees and to abolish the owners as traditionally understood.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

paragon1 posted:

Well you aren't exactly super left wing if you only do left wing things out of fear people will take all your stuff, are you? Clearly what we need is more labor organizers and communists threatening to burn everything.

this isn't the protest thread, idiot.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The biggest problem facing the nonworking poor is the high prices caused by the greed of workers wanting to pay for their kids to see a doctor.

You know what would really help the non-working poor, the price savings we could get if we bring back slavery.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

VitalSigns posted:

The biggest problem facing the nonworking poor is the high prices caused by the greed of workers wanting to pay for their kids to see a doctor.

You know what would really help the non-working poor, the price savings we could get if we bring back slavery.

im down

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
If we increase wages from the point where they are dwarfed by other costs of doing business to the point where they dwarf everything else do you think there would be an increase in prices? Makes ya think.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Venom Snake posted:

this isn't the protest thread, idiot.

i'm not constrained by your petty bourgeoisie thread boundaries Venom Snake.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

paragon1 posted:

Clearly what we need is more labor organizers and communists threatening to burn everything.

Pretty much.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

We agree that there currently exist poor people who benefit from these programs, right? Those people will be harmed by price inflation, and therefore by a significant minimum wage increase.

You don't need to have ever worked to get ssdi, you're thinking of ssi.

No it's ssdi you need to work for.

Do you have any evidence inflation would equal or exceed the value of increasing wages.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

RBC posted:

i honestly would post more, but i have to work in the coal mines where my phone doesnt get a signal

This, but for real.

wateroverfire posted:

That sounds pretty reasonable. There are effects to consider, though, in addition to the income effect from paying people more. What happens when the costs at each layer of the supply chain leading up to you also go up to accomodate the wage hike? Your suppliers have suppliers have suppliers, etc, and all of them are going to feel a wage floor that raises labor costs for like 45% of workers. You will probably find that all sorts of things from materials to transport cost more once everything shakes out, and you may find that as many other businesses pass compounded costs along people don't have as much extra money to drive extra business to you.

This brings up a good point. The effects on a min wage increase would reverberate through my supply chain to some extent. In my particular industry all of my materials are raw commodities from overseas. Other industries, however have different inputs and i think there would be very definite winners and losers based on the nature of a particular business.

My customers are also not very price sensitive. Our candy is the most expensive non-chocolate candy at Whole Foods. The people who are buying it probably aren't looking at the price too closely. Once again, other industries will be impacted differently. We may see a push by a range of companies to drive products upmarket as the increasing cost of of producing eats up the small margin that goods sold to low-income consumers typically have.

Voyager I posted:

Thanks for the great post. The fact that one of your employees was against a loving $4.00 pay raise because it meant his perceived inferiors might also end up on the same level as him is loving terrifying. What is wrong with mankind?

He wasn't so much against a raise as he was against the principle of the thing. Anyhow, mankind are animals who use those around them for context to judge the value of what they have and use the value of what they have to determine the value of who they are. It's pretty natural, irrational, and maybe just a little terrifying. That's how we get poo poo like identity politics.

JeffersonClay posted:

Another group that would unambiguously lose from an increase in the minimum wage (and a concurrent increase in prices) are poor people outside the labor force.

The 9 million people in poverty working full or part time would benefit. The remaining 20 million adults in poverty who are retired, unemployed, disabled, or otherwise outside the labor force would be made even more poor by a general rise in prices.

The best thing minimum wage increases have going is political. They're much more popular than expansion of the welfare state. The downside is the only way to help the poor outside the labor force is by expanding the welfare state, minimum wage increases will make poverty more acute for these people, and the political will to correct that problem will likely not exist. It's an open question whether the benefits to some of the poor will outweigh the burden imposed on the rest.

Yeah, this is the disappointing thing. A minimum wage increase would be fantastic for some people, but it won't solve any social problems. if we really want to rein in the widening income gap then we need to pass a comprehensive package with standard of living guarantees for retirees, the disabled, and the indigent. Throw in some prison reform, gender equality legislation, and make higher education more accessible. Garnish with a minimum wage increase and serve to someone hungry.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Why is the current minimum wage always the magic number? Every time we talk about raising it, it's "no everything is fine, if you raise it all the horrible calamities that didn't happen all the other times will totally happen". Should we go back to pre-recession $5.15, or do we have some evidence that Obama lucked onto the perfect equilibrium of maximum benefit?

E: Oh we're back to "full communism would solve all these problems, so let's abolish labor laws and wait until the revolution". Hey, you know what's a great thing for the poor? Welfare. Way better than the minimum wage. You know what will never get through a Republican congress? Welfare.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

VitalSigns posted:

Why is the current minimum wage always the magic number?

Because businesses will whine and the average person knows jack poo poo about economics?

Also the crab barrel.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

euphronius posted:

No it's ssdi you need to work for.

Do you have any evidence inflation would equal or exceed the value of increasing wages.

You're right, you don't need to work to get ssi, and you do need to have previously worked to get ssdi. More to the point, both groups would be harmed by inflation, as neither group earns wage income. As to your latter question, anyone who does not earn wages does not directly benefit from the minimum wage and thus must be harmed by inflation.

I think we should raise the minimum wage. But the minimum wage is to economics what charter schools are to education; a solution that helps people at the margins of oppression most, at the expense of those who are most oppressed, with the great advantage over better solutions that it is politically possible and maybe, in moderate doses, better than the status quo.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Here's an honest question: If minimum wage increases work as planned, they will result in higher consumer spending that "heats up" the economy and increases inflation. Does opposition to increasing the minimum wage in part come from fear of inflation among the non-productive rentier class, whose holdings in bonds, savings, and real estate might be devalued by inflation? That is, is there a section of the population that is against the working poor earning a living wage, because it might reduce the income they earn from just existing and parasitically collecting rents on everybody else?

I'm aware this is a loaded question.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Is there any evidence that the minimum wage has contributed in any significant way to inflation? Lowering the the minimum wage by 30% or so in the last 50 years sure didn't reduce prices any.

And what's the mechanism for that: minimum wage doesn't increase the money supply, that money comes from somewhere else in the economy (corporate profits). Minimum wage doesn't reduce the supply of goods: people who have more money to spend are going to stimulate production in an economy hobbled by slack demand like ours is now.

This seems like a concern troll. If controlling inflation is the most important thing, why are we attacking the minimum wage and not the policies the central bank has been using to fight deflation and prop up asset prices. Why don't we just back off on those policies a bit to even it out rather than refusing to raise the minimum wage.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 9, 2015

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

VitalSigns posted:

Is there any evidence that the minimum wage has contributed in any significant way to inflation? Lowering the the minimum wage by 30% or so in the last 50 years sure didn't reduce prices any.

And what's the mechanism for that: minimum wage doesn't increase the money supply, that money comes from somewhere else in the economy (corporate profits). Minimum wage doesn't reduce the supply of goods: people who have more money to spend are going to stimulate production in an economy hobbled by slack demand like ours is now.

This seems like a concern troll. If controlling inflation is the most important thing, why are we attacking the minimum wage and not the policies the central bank has been using to fight deflation and prop up asset prices. Why don't we just back off on those policies a bit to even it out rather than refusing to raise the minimum wage.

It's absolutely a concern troll. There isn't a coherent economic argument against raising the minimum wage, it should already have been done.

Sure, full communism would be better but increasing the wage is actually possible right now.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Zeitgueist posted:

It's absolutely a concern troll. There isn't a coherent economic argument against raising the minimum wage, it should already have been done.

Sure, full communism would be better but increasing the wage is actually possible right now.

One I've heard that I don't agree with but is alright is that it'll grow the economy which is bad because it'll lead to wider environmental destruction and the human cost is nothing compared to the damage we do to the rest of the planet through our society. I didn't agree with it and thought it was kinda dumb but it's at least coherent.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Our central bank has been fighting deflation since 2008. If it's true that the minimum wage is inflationary (no proof of this has been offered) then that sounds like an even better reason to do it so the central bank won't have to work as hard.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

VitalSigns posted:

Again, this all depends on the scale of minimum wage since it really comes down to total dollars increased. And as we went over, that impact goes up exponentially. For small minimum wage increases there is no evidence or reason to think inflation would be large. But there is for a large increase.

There is no reason to think the central bank needs help fighting inflation given that it's sitting in a position where it can literally print money.

EvanSchenck posted:

Here's an honest question: If minimum wage increases work as planned, they will result in higher consumer spending that "heats up" the economy and increases inflation. Does opposition to increasing the minimum wage in part come from fear of inflation among the non-productive rentier class, whose holdings in bonds, savings, and real estate might be devalued by inflation? That is, is there a section of the population that is against the working poor earning a living wage, because it might reduce the income they earn from just existing and parasitically collecting rents on everybody else?

I'm aware this is a loaded question.

The rich are inevitably well insulated against inflation, more so than the poor/retired on fixed incomes. So not really. Business owners don't like it because they don't want to pay the higher wages themselves, not because they're worried about overall inflation.

I'll add that I certainly don't think overall inflation is much of a problem, especially in the context of the economy today. Jefferson gave all the best reasons to care about inflation earlier - it hurts the (usually poor) demographic of people outside the workforce on fixed incomes and removes some of the benefits of the increased wages.

Zeitgueist posted:

There is no coherent argument for communism.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I do just want to step back for a second and remind people of the economic context we're in:

So there are massive differences in unemployment by race and by demographic. When people like me react negatively to a proposal of an unusually large minimum wage increase this is the reason.

Minimum wage takes those demographics that are most unemployed, most outsourced and most mechanized and makes them even less attractive to employers. Literally the reason we got here (high inequality low wages) is because those things already decreased demand for labor in these demographics. Minimum wage exacerbates the primary problem: low demand. Does it make sense that small increases in the past haven't led to significant detectable problems? Yep. But that doesn't mean than an order of magnitude larger impact won't create issues. This is literally a policy that's been purposely used for discrimination in the past. And there is plenty of reason to think it's not exactly ideal policy today.

asdf32 fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 9, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ugh unemployment is so high now in 2010, thanks Obama

Obama's $7.25 minimum wage is going to destroy the economy, and unemployment will skyrocket in the next 5 years I guarantee it. Keep it at $5.15 to help the poor.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Ugh unemployment is so high now in 2010, thanks Obama

Obama's $7.25 minimum wage is going to destroy the economy, and unemployment will skyrocket in the next 5 years I guarantee it. Keep it at $5.15 to help the poor.

Fixed.

No it won't. $15 is the discussion.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

asdf32 posted:

Fixed.

No it won't. $15 is the discussion.

He's referring to an analogous situation where the same arguments were made you loving intellectual child.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If you're so worried about inflation, why don't you care about the biggest cause of inflation: the central bank's explicitly inflationary policy.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

If you're so worried about inflation, why don't you care about the biggest cause of inflation: the central bank's explicitly inflationary policy.

I take it you just don't read posts anymore.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

asdf32 posted:

I do just want to step back for a second and remind people of the economic context we're in:

So there are massive differences in unemployment by race and by demographic. When people like me react negatively to a proposal of an unusually large minimum wage increase this is the reason.

Minimum wage takes those demographics that are most unemployed, most outsourced and most mechanized and makes them even less attractive to employers. Literally the reason we got here (high inequality low wages) is because those things already decreased demand for labor in these demographics. Minimum wage exacerbates the primary problem: low demand. Does it make sense that small increases in the past haven't led to significant detectable problems? Yep. But that doesn't mean than an order of magnitude larger impact won't create issues. This is literally a policy that's been purposely used for discrimination in the past. And there is plenty of reason to think it's not exactly ideal policy today.

What is the ideal policy?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

I take it you just don't read posts anymore.

You didn't answer the question.

Should the Federal Reserve stop fighting deflation? According to your argument, it should. Unless you don't actually care about inflation except as a means to attack the minimum wage (not that you've presented any proof that the minimum wage causes inflation somehow, even though it doesn't increase the money supply or reduce the supply of goods, but whatever)

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Good morning intellectual children.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Double trouble.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Tezzor posted:

What is the ideal policy?

The US has a lot of room to improve economic fundamentals. First, re-balance the tax burden so its actually progressive. Next, make further investments in infrastructure and basic research which has the benefit of directly spurring demand in the labor market (infrastructure particularly hires lots of people in low wage demographics). More investment in state/community colleges to improve access and drive down higher education costs. Address healthcare (huge question-mark how to do this though) because healthcare is eating the economy from the inside out.

EDIT: I'll add another paragraph to say that all my posting on economics here is consistent. The 3 most important things are human capital, physical capital and employment. The above policy falls out of that directly. Research and infrastructure are physical capital, education is human capital and reducing deep cycles of poverty ties to both employment and human capital.

That's my list. Everything I listed has or is happening to a certain extent.

VitalSigns posted:

You didn't answer the question.

Should the Federal Reserve stop fighting deflation? According to your argument, it should. Unless you don't actually care about inflation except as a means to attack the minimum wage (not that you've presented any proof that the minimum wage causes inflation somehow, even though it doesn't increase the money supply or reduce the supply of goods, but whatever)

I don't care a ton about inflation period. It's not a primary economic metric and is only important to the extent it impacts primary economic metrics (real life). Among the ways inflation impacts real life are the things mentioned earlier, or generally it's a problem when it's excessive or unpredictable.

Minimum wage directly increases costs of production and (something you know when you want too), transfers some wealth from rich to poor where they spend more, thus decreasing savings rates and increasing the velocity of money.

asdf32 fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 9, 2015

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.
i dont even know what asdf's position is anymore

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Actually, I will agree that raising the minimum wage is not an ideal policy response.

We should be instituting a universal guaranteed minimum income instead. In don't think there is any argument against raising the minimum wage, to which instituting a GMI is not an even better response. Takes burden off employers, increases worker bargaining power, etc.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 9, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Actually, I will agree that raising the minimum wage is not an ideal policy response.

We should be instituting a universal guaranteed minimum income instead.

A policy curiously beloved of some of the left and Milton Friedman simultaneously.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Disinterested posted:

A policy curiously beloved of some of the left and Milton Friedman simultaneously.

It's one of those ideas that's so good everyone who thinks about it rationally ends up supporting it -- and so inherently controversial that almost no one thinks about it rationally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Is the minimum wage $15 yet and does that mean it costs like six cents more for a hamburger now due to crazy price hikes

• Locked thread