Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Oh also this is purely a weird specific aesthetic thing, but man the sound effects of the paint being put down (especially by the rollers) was like. The most satisfying thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What was the difference between the triangle looking grenade and the round one?

Yeah, the paint thing is extremely well done with how it looks and sounds.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Bubbler is seriously clutch when you're under fire. Splattering two rollers bearing down on you while invincible feels great.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Triangle takes more ink and is more powerful, I think.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I top-scored on the winning team in over half my matches thanks to the splat roller. :smug:

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

Suspicious Cook posted:

Bubbler is seriously clutch when you're under fire. Splattering two rollers bearing down on you while invincible feels great.

Triangle also has a delay on when it explodes, and I think can be defused if you shoot it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

The bombs have a fuse and a larger blast radius, but the balloons explode on contact and take less ink.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I feel terrible because I'm not sure how to use the killer whail or the bubble. It said [R] but that just tossed grenades for me. Only time I got my bubble to activate I'm not even sure what happened.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kaubocks posted:

I top-scored on the winning team in over half my matches thanks to the splat roller. :smug:

Look at this scrub who can't stay a full 100-200 points over everyone else with just the Splattershot :smuggo:.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I feel terrible because I'm not sure how to use the killer whail or the bubble. It said [R] but that just tossed grenades for me. Only time I got my bubble to activate I'm not even sure what happened.

Click the R-Stick in :ssh:.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

Now THAT'S desperate!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

When your special weapon is charged, press the right stick. For the killer wail aim, then press shoot. For the bubble you just get a few seconds of invincibility, for the others, mash R to spam grenades.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Kaubocks posted:

I top-scored in all but two of my matches thanks to the Splattershot Jr. It helped that almost nobody painted walls and frequently ignored the top of Saltspray Rig.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Correct on all counts! The round bombs are semi-spammable though!

This was a lot of fun even though I'm terrible at aiming. Surprised to hear that people thought the motion controls were better than the joystick, because I could not get the hang of them during the tutorial. Any advice for how to use the motion controls well?

Definitely one of the most interesting and enjoyable shooters I've played recently. As a frequent Engy in TF2 it was neat to see similar team-support subs and specials coming in the full game, but even in the demo just surviving is a benefit to your team because of the team jump mechanics. By the end of the demo when everyone was going all roller it was fun to paint off the beaten path (like the sides of the warehouse) and give people a safe place to jump to while everybody massacred each other in the center.

Real fun game! I'm torn better finally shelling out for an external CPU and pre-ordering it during the demo or just buying it day one at some retail place.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Regy Rusty posted:

The sniper is definitely the hardest weapon to use. I think considering how they can make huge lines of paint they could be useful on a team that knows how to work together. But with such a short time to play I didn't feel like bothering trying to learn it.

The only benefit to a sniper-type weapon is being able to pick enemies off from a distance, and it doesn't even have that. Maybe it's just me but I found it drat near impossible to get someone in my sights long enough for me to even use it at the effective range, at least not before they killed me easily with whatever weapon they had that shot at least as far. Throw in the fact that it's useless for painting the map and you've got a strong contender for Most Worthless Shitweapon.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Ultigonio posted:

I top-scored in all but two of my matches thanks to the Splattershot Jr. It helped that almost nobody painted walls and frequently ignored the top of Saltspray Rig.

Walls actually don't count for turf. Just for mobility.

raditts posted:

The only benefit to a sniper-type weapon is being able to pick enemies off from a distance, and it doesn't even have that. Maybe it's just me but I found it drat near impossible to get someone in my sights long enough for me to even use it at the effective range, at least not before they killed me easily with whatever weapon they had that shot at least as far. Throw in the fact that it's useless for painting the map and you've got a strong contender for Most Worthless Shitweapon.

I'm thinking the main thing with the sniper may be you want to aim it above the opposing players rather then aim it at them since no weapons are hitscan based. The main advantage of the sniper is its crazy mobile since it can get a trail across a large portions of the map quickly to protect other players so they can focus on painting the map. Also area denial since you can protect choke points fairly well.

Ohtsam fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 9, 2015

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

CatsPajamas posted:

Any advice for how to use the motion controls well?
As someone who adores gyro controls for their precision and speed, I'd say that you don't want to use them exclusively, but rather use them for vertical movement and small horizontal aiming, then count on the stick for your major left-and-right turns. I definitely used them more than I should have, and even though I loved how quickly I could aim where I needed because of it, my wrists definitely felt a little tired by the time the full hour had passed.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

is there going to be an option to put the map on the tv

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Ultigonio posted:

As someone who adores gyro controls for their precision and speed, I'd say that you don't want to use them exclusively, but rather use them for vertical movement and small horizontal aiming, then count on the stick for your major left-and-right turns. I definitely used them more than I should have, and even though I loved how quickly I could aim where I needed because of it, my wrists definitely felt a little tired by the time the full hour had passed.

You can adjust the sensitivity under controls (push + during weapon select). The default is on the slower side, and I started doing much better once I increased it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

lets hang out posted:

No.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ultigonio posted:

I wish you didn't have to choose one or the other for Y-axis aiming. I'd prefer to use the stick for looking / broad aiming and gyro for precision aiming.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

lets hang out posted:

you cant super jump if they allowed that so no there wont

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Ultigonio posted:

Yeah, the Roller strikes me one of those "really good when everybody's learning, balanced once people spend more time with the game" type things. They fold hard to a decent player with a ranged weapon, so a team will want a balanced loadout.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I like that the game alerts you to a friend super jumping to you. I had one guy who traveled mainly by jumping to me and he spammed the hell out of tapping it so I had a constant DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGBOOYAH going on one round

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
This game is really fun and even with just four weapons I think there's an interesting variety of tactical possibilities available already.

The most satisfying feeling was squishing the entire enemy team with a roller in the space of 1 second because they grouped together and weren't paying attention behind them.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It's also an interesting mechanic where you have to look away to figure out what's going on. There's a real trade off, which is cool.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Golashes posted:

Meaning, in the final game?

5 maps in the final game, plus more to come in the immediate post-launch updates.

2 modes (Turf War, Splat Zones) with more coming in August and beyond.

I forget how many weapons there are supposed to be at launch (8 loadouts, maybe?) but they'll be adding more later, and there's also the customisable gear aspect.

raditts posted:

Didn't someone say there was supposed to be a discount on the full game if you pre-order it from the demo? Looks like it's still listing at $60.

PAL-only, and the game is already cheaper to begin with (same price as Captain Toad, Kirby Rainbow Paintbrush, etc).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I like that the game alerts you to a friend super jumping to you. I had one guy who traveled mainly by jumping to me and he spammed the hell out of tapping it so I had a constant DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGBOOYAH going on one round

It also shows you where enemies are super jumping to, there's a little ring with their name next to it for a couple seconds before they jump.

This game doesn't allow teabagging but I hope some of the roller clowns I handily owned got to see me spamming BOOYAH over what was left of their bodies.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Game is absolutely amazing. I just wish it supported two players on the same console going online together ala Mario Kart, since me and my roommate won't be able to do anything but versus each other or take turns. I get that it's to keep pubstomping murder squads from happening, but man, we both want to play at once.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Game is absolutely amazing. I just wish it supported two players on the same console going online together ala Mario Kart, since me and my roommate won't be able to do anything but versus each other or take turns. I get that it's to keep pubstomping murder squads from happening, but man, we both want to play at once.

Solution: Buy another Wii U.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I hope they do some weapon rebalancing before release. The roller's fine, but the normal gun could stand to shoot a bit further and the sniper rifle needs... something. The levels and gameplay don't really lend themselves to staying in one place and popping heads when you're supposed to be covering terrain hidden by narrow hallways and turns.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

There has to be a technical reason for why they're not doing this and why local MP is limited to the weird 1v1 balloon thing. Maybe they just don't want to have to account for some online players not having access to the gamepad map? I dunno.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

raditts posted:

PAL-only, and the game is already cheaper to begin with (same price as Captain Toad, Kirby Rainbow Paintbrush, etc).
I still don't get how this happened. Did NoA just price the game at $60 because they thought they could get away with it?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's kinda silly that people think they have the Splatoon metagame figured out after an hour

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

sharrrk posted:

you cant super jump if they allowed that so no there wont

they aren't using half of the buttons on the controller and i dunno they could probably figure out a way to make that happen but whatever

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

Now THAT'S desperate!

Suspicious Cook posted:

I hope they do some weapon rebalancing before release. The roller's fine, but the normal gun could stand to shoot a bit further and the sniper rifle needs... something. The levels and gameplay don't really lend themselves to staying in one place and popping heads when you're supposed to be covering terrain hidden by narrow hallways and turns.

Don't forget that there are a bunch of versions of the weapons we don't get to try in the demo, and that there's also going to be gear that boosts certain stats.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Suspicious Cook posted:

sniper rifle needs... something.
The quickest idea that came to mind is "sniper shots should bounce off terrain" and now I really want that.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ultigonio posted:

I still don't get how this happened. Did NoA just price the game at $60 because they thought they could get away with it?

It's a combination of "Americans love shooters" and "PAL-land's online infrastructure is worse than everywhere else and this is a MP-centric game", I guess.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Lunatic Sledge posted:

The map being separate is a pretty important part of balance, I think, since it forces you to pull attention away from the action to figure out what's going on

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Macaluso posted:

Oh also this is purely a weird specific aesthetic thing, but man the sound effects of the paint being put down (especially by the rollers) was like. The most satisfying thing.

This. I was running along and an enemy sniper shot near me and for a brief moment I turned 12 again when all you could hear was SPLUUUUUURT followed by a stream of fluid sloshing and flopping to the ground.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The best drat use of that Killer Whail isn't even hitting guys themselves (although if you luck out and they're bunching up it's a jackpot) but using it to cut off an area and forcing the person to run from it right into your roller. Sick corner trap tech.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Help Im Alive posted:

It's kinda silly that people think they have the Splatoon metagame figured out after an hour

It's better than thinking you have a game entirely figured out based on one 2 minute trailer, as is always the case with video games and the people who play them.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Lemming posted:

The map being separate is a pretty important part of balance, I think, since it forces you to pull attention away from the action to figure out what's going on

I never really paid attention to it unless I got splatted but I might be bad at video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

I never really paid attention to it unless I got splatted but I might be bad at video games.

It's super important. You figure out where you need to shore up and where enemies are. If you're screwing around near their spawn while they snuck out you could lose easily or get snuck up on

• Locked thread