Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

paragon1 posted:

Or they could have given you more options to resolve that sort of scenario than "beat mans with baton".

That's crazy talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
All the crime event system really needed was false positives. That would do all the things people are looking for in that mechanic.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

To be fair they also have "shoot man in face, or shoot man in leg while he's running away" as potential options.

the former loses you reputation, but the later gets you more but not as much if you had just baton'ed him to unconsciousness.

The leg shots are the only way to go on a good old fashion open world game cop killing spree and not completely tank your rep by the way. Which does basically nothing but add more incidental dialog at max (yeah it's suppose to do something else but it's not that significant i found) and the bottom it's almost like you're playing the game and you're dealing with ACTUAL people because they will see you on sight and attempt to call the cops.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

VoidBurger posted:

Why are they having cake after all his classmates have left the party....?

Why share cake with a bunch of kids when you can have it all yourself?

Or, in this case, leave it out in the backyard unattended where it will spoil and/or be eaten by passing animals.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Would Aiden, the human garbage truck, be a passing animal?

Edit: VVV: This game is garbage.

InfinityComplex fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 9, 2015

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

InfinityComplex posted:

Would Aiden, the human garbage truck, be a passing animal?
No, there's no button prompt to eat a slice of cake.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I remember someone saying that "Grunkle" was Grumpy Uncle, but I refuse to use that term with Aiden.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

What I want to know is how his sister gets a house like that making only 45k a year living in a city like that, unless I'm too used to east coast prices.

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009

bobjr posted:

What I want to know is how his sister gets a house like that making only 45k a year living in a city like that, unless I'm too used to east coast prices.

Etsy

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

bobjr posted:

Alimony/child support from whoever they forgot to replace Aiden with? Seriously no mention is made of Lena or Jackson's father at all, it really bothers me.

jaydee864
Aug 15, 2010

Life is such a drag when the whole world's falling apart
I find it amusing that there was an option to threaten an innocent cashier over a $2 bottle of soda. What the hell, game?

Also, did I hear right, did that one radio reporter announce that DeadSec described themselves as "the canary in the coal mine"? DeadSec is aware that the purpose of the canary in the coal mine is to die before anyone else, aren't they? I haven't played this game, but I don't think that metaphor matches up with their goals.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

paragon1 posted:

Alimony/child support from whoever they forgot to replace Aiden with? Seriously no mention is made of Lena or Jackson's father at all, it really bothers me.

In the very beginning when they showed the profile of Aiden's family during the phonecall to Maurice it mentions the children's mother, but not their father.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I remember someone saying that "Grunkle" was Grumpy Uncle, but I refuse to use that term with Aiden.

It's actually short for "great uncle," so no worries there.

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010

paragon1 posted:

Or they could have given you more options to resolve that sort of scenario than "beat mans with baton".

I almost wish for the early series Samurai Flaminco option where you jump out at the offender, announce yourself and his/her wrongdoing, and likely get beaten up in the process. Though Aiden can defiantly defend himself much better than Samurai Flaminco.
"Halt villain!! You should cease harassing that civilian or else face the Justifiable Force of... The Vigilante!!" *Sentai Pose*

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It's actually short for "great uncle," so no worries there.

Aiden doesn't at all compare to Gruncle Stan.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Generic American posted:

The worst part about the game for me was participating in the lead-up to its release. Speaking on a personal level, I was really intrigued by the potential in the crime-stopping events... obviously before the curtain was pulled back to show Watch_Dogs in an honest light. You can do a lot of interesting stuff with that mechanic alone, assuming that you don't treat it as a YES/NO quest reward like in the game proper. Do you stop a crime as soon as possible, or do you wait? In the game, that's not even a question- you have to wait, or it is seen as a failure because you didn't get to play Batman. But if it allowed players to stop the crime before it escalated and didn't treat that like a mini game-over, there is a fuckton of possible nuance right there.

If you take the responsible approach and intervene immediately (once the magic percentage makes it clear that it's inevitable), to everyone watching the scene unfold... you're just some psychopath who started beating a guy with a baton out of nowhere. You may know the truth of what would have happened, but to those witnessing it, you just assaulted an innocent man. With that in mind, do you hang back and wait for it to become a clear, undeniable threat? Do you actively make the decision to put someone's life at risk just for the sake of appearances?

The whole tech-psychic vigilante angle already assumes that you WILL intervene to stop a crime, so you kinda just have to roll with the basic approval of vigilantism from square one, but what is more important to you as the player and the character? The safety of the people that you want to help either way, or the public's view of you? Are you willing to look like a monster and have the city hate you for it just to save as many people as possible? Or do you want the reputation and feel like a hero, even if it means you have to juggle innocent lives in the process? But the game really has none of that. The victims are irrelevant to Aiden- you can save them, or you can let them die. All that truly matters is whether you get to show some bad guy how awesome you are.

This is something I saw being touted during the runup to Watch_Dogs and I agree with this assessment, it sounded like a very interesting take on the typical video game morality meter where NPCs don't have a psychic understanding of why you jumped out at a dude who was maybe saying some threatening things to this lady and holy poo poo, that guy in the cap just broke that dude's leg, call the cops. Seeing how it actually turned out in practice is disappointing not only because of all the various other reasons people have mentioned but because it's a waste of potential, an excellent concept with thoroughly mediocre execution (which could be the game's tagline, really).

I'm another Person of Interest fan, a show about an omnipresent computer system that watches people every hour of every day and predicts violent crimes before they happen, and the vigilantes who try and use that information to keep those crimes from occurring. Unlike Watch_Dogs PoI is actually a good show that actually shines a spotlight on things like the surveillance state and the ramifications of vigilantism (and the ramifications of artificial intelligence, in many respects PoI is a stealth cyberpunk/sci-fi show that snuck in under the guise of a procedural) so it's not like the the concepts that went into Watch_Dogs can't be turned into something good, it's just a shame that what resulted was something so paint-by-numbers and unambitious.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
So, Aiden is an rear end in a top hat who does not contact the police or medical assistance whenever he hurts people, which is often. And yet, he does have a reputation around the city of Chicago, as seen by his sister's reference to 'the Vigilante' as well as... the reputation bar. How do these things reconcile?

The answer seems pretty obvious to me. Aiden wears a body camera, and uploads his awesome criminal takedowns to Social Media. Follow and subscribe Teh1337Vigilant3 for more cool videos of people getting the poo poo beat out of them!

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Agent Interrobang posted:

The problem as I see it is the sharp disconnect between what the game REWARDS and what the game PENALIZES: it is literally, mechanically better to let a victim get beaten senseless or shot to death than it is to prevent a crime from occuring, because you still get a reward if you catch the criminal after they do the deed, but you get jack diddly squat if the crime doesn't occur.

Between this game and Minority Report, I think the message is clear: You should never, ever have any kind of predictive algorithm or system for crime, because if you do, you're morally obligated to create a terrifying police state that prevents crime by locking innocent people up before they have a chance to commit them.

jaydee864 posted:

Also, did I hear right, did that one radio reporter announce that DeadSec described themselves as "the canary in the coal mine"? DeadSec is aware that the purpose of the canary in the coal mine is to die before anyone else, aren't they? I haven't played this game, but I don't think that metaphor matches up with their goals.

The thing is, and I will admit right here that I haven't been paying huge amounts of attention to what's going on in the game because Chip and Ironicus are about a hojillion times more interesting, I'm getting the impression that "DeadSec" is just nerds-can't-whine-about-royalties LulzSec, which puts them in the fedora'd "welcome to the realm of logic and reason" crowd, which means they can say pretty much whatever they want because it doesn't actually mean anything.

Dr. Buttass fucked around with this message at 10:47 on May 9, 2015

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Thinking about it, if this wasn't done by Ubisoft, and thus obligated to be an open world sandbox, they could have gotten a decent amount of mileage out of just the 'I can predict your next move' mechanic. It still has Aiden be wannabe Batman, excuses him getting into whatever plots you want ("...Huh, 50% chance of this dude robbing the bank. Wonder what that's about."), and you can even keep the business about his family being targeted as a result. If they can make whole novels, movies, and TV shows based off this concept, they surely could have done more with it from this 'AAA' video game.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

jaydee864 posted:

I find it amusing that there was an option to threaten an innocent cashier over a $2 bottle of soda. What the hell, game?

I assume the canary quote is meaning that they're a warning

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Kai Tave posted:

This is something I saw being touted during the runup to Watch_Dogs and I agree with this assessment, it sounded like a very interesting take on the typical video game morality meter where NPCs don't have a psychic understanding of why you jumped out at a dude who was maybe saying some threatening things to this lady and holy poo poo, that guy in the cap just broke that dude's leg, call the cops. Seeing how it actually turned out in practice is disappointing not only because of all the various other reasons people have mentioned but because it's a waste of potential, an excellent concept with thoroughly mediocre execution (which could be the game's tagline, really).
Yeah, this sort of emergent gameplay they teased us with along with the vague possibility of multiplayer along those lines were what really soured me on the end result. We could have had some interesting interaction where humans play as some of the nameless "fixers" that keep showing up, and we could have had more freedom in terms of solving a problem and how low profile you managed to keep. All that poo poo turned out to be either just conceptual or impractical.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

pkfan2004 posted:

I could absolutely imagine two insurance claims agents chasing Aiden across Chicago as he causes property damage and hurts folks.

I'm not so sure they would be super sympathetic to his cause but they sure as hell would be written better.

Except the reveal that Aiden's actually a dorky pacifist never happens. Instead he really is just a complete destructive psychopath.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I agree with the assessment that this game would be so much better if Aiden wasn't pushed as any kind of hero. As it is now, you can see several ideas for Aiden's character that just don't work well together. As if he's the result of several scripts being shuffled together at random.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

JT Jag posted:

So, Aiden is an rear end in a top hat who does not contact the police or medical assistance whenever he hurts people, which is often. And yet, he does have a reputation around the city of Chicago, as seen by his sister's reference to 'the Vigilante' as well as... the reputation bar. How do these things reconcile?

The answer seems pretty obvious to me. Aiden wears a body camera, and uploads his awesome criminal takedowns to Social Media. Follow and subscribe Teh1337Vigilant3 for more cool videos of people getting the poo poo beat out of them!
Except they mysteriously don't work when an actual crime is committed to legally innocent civilians :haw:

I mean man, NOBODY loving calls an ambulance, even in Grand Theft Auto's many games you get a loving ambulance right on the scene, Sleeping Dogs does it, hell, SAINT'S ROW THE DUMBEST CARTOON loving has an ambulance come rolling in.

Maybe this entire game is just one vile critique of Chicago's public services.

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Maybe it would be easier if we call Aiden "Grundle".

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

paragon1 posted:

It really baffles me that Aiden asserts that because he spooked the criminal, they'll just walk away and commit their crime some other time. Aren't most of the crimes you stop crimes of passion? Where someone gets pissed off, texts/calls someone to tell them that they're "going to [kill/beat/rob] person X because they deserve it" for some unspecified wrong that the potential victim perpetrated against the current aggressor? It seems likely that Aiden spooking them would, in fact, likely give them time to cool off and think better of it.

Edit: Actually, for that matter, what if they do deserve it? Who is Aiden, of all people, to get in the way of vigilante justice?

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 9, 2015

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Keeshhound posted:

It really baffles me that Aiden asserts that because he spooked the criminal, they'll just walk away and commit their crime some other time. Aren't most of the crimes you stop crimes of passion? Where someone gets pissed off, texts/calls someone to tell them that they're "going to [kill/beat/rob] person X because they deserve it" for some unspecified wrong that the potential victim perpetrated against the current aggressor? It seems likely that Aiden spooking them would, in fact, likely give them time to cool off and think better of it.

Yeah, but persistent psychological trauma from being beaten by some stranger who just kind of showed up when they were about to do something bad would probably....screw them up severely and make them more likely to lash out in paranoia, but at least Aiden gets the satisfaction of hurting someone he dubs the bad guy. Technically, killing them would prevent them from ever committing a crime at some later date. :downs:

So yeah, the game really doesn't want you to think too hard about Aiden's Batman/Punisher/leet HAxXor antics.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
It's a AAA sandbox game made by Ubisoft. I'm pretty sure it doesn't want you to think, period. :v:

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 9, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Discendo Vox posted:

All the crime event system really needed was false positives. That would do all the things people are looking for in that mechanic.

Probability suggests 1 in 20 of them are.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Man, so much promise gone so, so wrong :sigh:. I actually preordered this game back before it got delayed, and was excited enough for it that I made the release thread.
Never even played past the first act. Still load it up to just do the slow walk around the city though, they did a nice job on the atmosphere imo.

Also, the game becomes about 120% if you imagine that Aiden is literally Autistic Batman. Everything he does makes a lot more sense through that lens.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So when do we climb our first tower to clear out the map?

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
I've rewatched the motorcycle and pile-up bits like four times each now, and each time, I notice something hilarious I hadn't seen before.
I think my favorite is that Aiden clips a tricycle while throttling towards the house and just sends it loving flying across the street.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
so does the game actually have a reaction for when you knock a criminal out then shoot him in the head while he's down or did ubisoft just not care

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

So when do we climb our first tower to clear out the map?
Next story mission is literally Watch_Dogs' equivalent to this.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Are there that many towers in Chicago where this would make sense? Climbing up buildings isn't really in the Cyber Punk Present job description

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

so does the game actually have a reaction for when you knock a criminal out then shoot him in the head while he's down or did ubisoft just not care

It does not. Thus I did so at every opportunity, preferably in front of as many civilians as possible.
"That's the vigilante! He's a hero!" :commissar:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

It's too bad shooting a criminal before they turn red probably doesn't count as stopping the crime, it fits the justification that you need to make sure they don't try the same thing later and preserves the life of the victim a lot more easily than waiting until they have a gun in their face. Still insane but at least it'd be consistent!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Also I don't think that people who are about to murder someone usually share this fact via text message.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
Well that's not that weird, I text my friends when I murder people all the time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Also I don't think that people who are about to murder someone usually share this fact via text message.

Nah. They actually do.

There's a lot of cases where someone basically goes "I'm gonna fuckin' murder that guy" to a friend via text or email or even on goddamn Facebook. There are a lot of stupid stupid criminals out there. A lot of them get caught because they do things like place wanted ad for a hitman or spend their time googling "how to murder someone without getting caught."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Nah. They actually do.

There's a lot of cases where someone basically goes "I'm gonna fuckin' murder that guy" to a friend via text or email or even on goddamn Facebook. There are a lot of stupid stupid criminals out there. A lot of them get caught because they do things like place wanted ad for a hitman or spend their time googling "how to murder someone without getting caught."
If you watch enough crime dramas this should be obvious. Hope the murderer is up for cutting their victim into pieces afterwards.

• Locked thread