Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

BLerchg posted:

I never played World of Tanks and only got into World of Warships because a friend recruited me, but so far it is great fun.
A while ago i read that some premium tanks in WoT get preferential matchmaking. Was this a long time ago or is this still a thing in WoT? And if it is a thing in WoT do you think that they will implement something like this in WoWs, because so far i'm not noticing it?

They're trying to phase out pref mm, so unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

So with the premium ship sale, and the soonish patch with AP changes, is the Atlanta a worthwhile buy? I don't want to waste my gold tokens if it's going to be useless against anything bigger than a destroyer. :ohdear:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

El Disco posted:

So with the premium ship sale, and the soonish patch with AP changes, is the Atlanta a worthwhile buy? I don't want to waste my gold tokens if it's going to be useless against anything bigger than a destroyer. :ohdear:

Oh, but hanging near your battleship group is also effective if the enemy has carriers. Everything on your ship is aa including the main guns. So you can and will just murder squadrons that get close.

It really isn't that good against battleships, but does ok against cruisers if careful. Your damage is laughable against bbs.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Thanks for this. I haven't heard of this before, and it's pretty well done.

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
So for some reason they are letting Russian players test the 3.1 patch, and some of them are streaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNav86pwn6M is one stream

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

two_step posted:

So for some reason they are letting Russian players test the 3.1 patch, and some of them are streaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNav86pwn6M is one stream

The amount of gold, funbux, and free XP that guy has. Dev?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

The amount of gold, funbux, and free XP that guy has. Dev?

test server. Check the WoT test server some time.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
They tried to get everyone to test 0.3.1 but ran into some technical issues with their server connections so trying to get the data over from the russian server would have apparently risked wrecking the EU and US servers entire for the weekend. They're saying they'll work that one out until the next patch. :v:

Edit: So watching that stream, one of the plane loadouts for the Hakuryu (tier 10) is 5 torpedo bomber and 3 dive bomber squadrons of 4 planes each. IJN carriers seem to be the way to go for high skill floor and high ceiling. Guy just alpha-striked a Montana scoring 15 torpedo hits for 3 plane losses. :stare:

Edit 2: Some more details about the patch changes.

Magni fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 8, 2015

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

two_step posted:

LoL at bombing with all 3 squadrons at the same time instead of setting a ship on fire, waiting for it to use the repair and then bombing more.

Being on ST myself all I want to say here is that you should keep a close eye on the new Japanese CVs (they are murder machines) :ssh:

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 8, 2015

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Hammerstein posted:

LoL at bombing with all 3 squadrons at the same time instead of setting a ship on fire, waiting for it to use the repair and then bombing more.

Being a Supertester myself all I want to say here is that you should keep a close eye on the new Japanese CVs (they are murder machines) :ssh:

Non optimal play on a test server for an alpha game?? What a loving n00b

Works in a supertester brag too, a+

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Rakthar posted:

Non optimal play on a test server for an alpha game?? What a loving n00b

Works in a supertester brag too, a+

What's your problem ?

Also welcome to the thread, great first post. In case you hadn't noticed the game is currently chugging nicely through closed beta and not alpha. Pointing out bad game play is meant to be a help to our own newbies on how not to do it. And my remark about CVs is not a ST brag but a little hint at the things to come. So please stop being an insufferable idiot :frogout:

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 8, 2015

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Oh man, I like the jp cvs already. 2x fighters + 2x torp bombers + 2x dive bombers? Niiiice.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Kinda odd that the Japanese carriers are going to specialize on blowing up ships and the US carriers focus on defense given the historical situation of the US carriers sinking the poo poo out of the Japanese navy for basically the entire post-Pearl Harbor part of the conflict. But I guess it will add a bit of variation between them at least.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Warbadger posted:

Kinda odd that the Japanese carriers are going to specialize on blowing up ships and the US carriers focus on defense given the historical situation of the US carriers sinking the poo poo out of the Japanese navy for basically the entire post-Pearl Harbor part of the conflict. But I guess it will add a bit of variation between them at least.

Maybe the Japanese CVs will have their historical damage control. "Welp, we took a bomb, time to explode"

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Warbadger posted:

When the USN and IJN both had good carrier wings, the IJN's strikes were better. They were getting planes off four decks with pretty decent separation between some of them and bundling them into coherent strike packages at the start of the war, when it took US ships a battle's experience to figure out that getting their own squadrons together was a good maneuver.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

xthetenth posted:

When the USN and IJN both had good carrier wings, the IJN's strikes were better. They were getting planes off four decks with pretty decent separation between some of them and bundling them into coherent strike packages at the start of the war, when it took US ships a battle's experience to figure out that getting their own squadrons together was a good maneuver.

I need to go read up on Midway again so I can see how many groups we sent off into the wild blue yonder to run out of gas without making contact.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Beach Bum posted:

I need to go read up on Midway again so I can see how many groups we sent off into the wild blue yonder to run out of gas without making contact.

That would be the Hornet's planes. Their torpedo bomber squadron only made contact because their commander basically told the Hornet CAC to go gently caress himself, and went off on his own (correct) course. All the rest of the planes peeled off over time, as they either ran low on fuel or felt it was a waste of time to travel any farther. Eventually it was down to the CAC himself, turning around because everyone else had abandoned him. :laugh:

By contrast, the Yorktown managed to send out a cohesive strike (fighters, dive bombers, and torpedo bombers all together).

xthetenth posted:

Yep. The Yorktown crew had some other great ideas after Coral Sea, like filling the aviation gas lines with CO2 when they weren't being used, in order to force out any gas fumes.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

El Disco posted:

By contrast, the Yorktown managed to send out a cohesive strike (fighters, dive bombers, and torpedo bombers all together).

This is part of what makes reading Shattered Sword hurt.

quote:

Yep. The Yorktown crew had some other great ideas after Coral Sea, like filling the aviation gas lines with CO2 when they weren't being used, in order to force out any gas fumes.

And thus the Yorktown took a similar amount of damage to the Kaga which recieved the tender attentions of two whole dive bomber squadrons minus three planes and then took a bunch more abuse to sink. Meanwhile the last three bombers in that two squadrons went off and sunk Akagi with a hit and a near miss because Japanese damage control sucks.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Are there still codes going around for this game or is the only way to play a pre-order?

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
So if swastikas in any form are out due to DE law, does that mean Bismarck wanting sperglords in NA land will go nuts when it comes out ? I'd give it maybe a week before some sort of skin mod shows up to "fix" this. :hitler:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

MREBoy posted:

So if swastikas in any form are out due to DE law, does that mean Bismarck wanting sperglords in NA land will go nuts when it comes out ? I'd give it maybe a week before some sort of skin mod shows up to "fix" this. :hitler:

Well, that is about how long it took for the jap flag to be corrected at launch of cbt.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

xthetenth posted:

Shattered Sword

Ooh, thank you, I don't have this book <added to Amazon wish list>

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

JuffoWup posted:

Well, that is about how long it took for the jap flag to be corrected at launch of cbt.

I was thinking more of these swastikas:

This would require a re-skin of the ship, which will probably happen.

Weird Bismarck fact: At some point in time, a trans-Atlantic communications cable was somehow laid directly across the wreck of the ship. It's not an old cable, as it appears to have a grey/blue plastic outer sheath. The wreck sits in 15,000+ feet of water on the side of an underwater mountain.

source, has more pics

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I shot a Rossmum and I liked it.

:smug:

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

The Locator posted:

I shot a Rossmum and I liked it.

:smug:

I don't know what came over me that game, but I'm curious to see if the patch makes my retarded BB playstyle actually viable.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

rossmum posted:

I don't know what came over me that game, but I'm curious to see if the patch makes my retarded BB playstyle actually viable.

I really didn't shoot you that much because I wasn't getting great hits on you. I think the best salvo was about 6k with 4 hits, so I mostly shot softer targets since you were getting pounded by closer stuff anyway. I was somewhat surprised you didn't focus on me for giggles though.

That 3 tier difference between the Nagato and Yamato is pretty telling though based on the damage I was doing when I did shoot at you.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Even though there's a 3 tier difference, I've managed to kill 2 Yamatos in my Nagato through citadel hits. Granted their drivers were poo poo and let me zero them in perfectly, but drat.

How do you get to a tier X BS and are still poo poo?

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Be me!

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

But, you're giving Americans useless dive-bombers? Yes! But they will no longer be useless! Dive-bombers get a buff regarding damage output! They will now have a maximum damage of 15k, with realistically doing around ~4k damage per bomb hit.

Finally.

A wee bit concerned about the Japanese squadrons having less planes (and probably worse HP per plane). Gonna get wrecked at higher tiers.
That and the whole "american carriers focus on air superiority, which will make both sides carriers mostly useless!"

The changes to armor, penetration and shell mechanics are interesting, but let's see how they actually turn out.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Pimpmust posted:

Finally.

A wee bit concerned about the Japanese squadrons having less planes (and probably worse HP per plane). Gonna get wrecked at higher tiers.
That and the whole "american carriers focus on air superiority, which will make both sides carriers mostly useless!"

The changes to armor, penetration and shell mechanics are interesting, but let's see how they actually turn out.

sauce?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Looks like from here: http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/12798-031-an-overview-of-the-upcoming-patch/#topmost

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Pimpmust posted:

Finally.

This will make fighter carriers probably actually usefull.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Well, I think I had as many draws tonight as victories and defeats combined. I think the timer needs to be about 5 minutes longer and most of those would have been decided.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Magni posted it earlier on this page.

11th may seems to be the end of the test of the patch.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

orange juche posted:

How do you get to a tier X BS and are still poo poo?

Same as tanks, no matter how bad they always get there eventually because there's no such thing as negative XP

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

How are you supposed to play carriers? I have no issue with doing good torpedo runs that bracket a ship well, my issue is that all the view modes that they provide you with are atrocious. The map view is too zoomed out to be useful, and that semi-isometric view is a little too zoomed in to be useful, whenever I'm trying to play my Langley (because I've never have enough will to grind through even this tier of carrier, due to my frustration at the view modes) I get this feeling that at all time I cannot effectively assess whats going on. I find the views provided frustrating as hell, and any time I play the damned thing I get this feeling like I'm suffocating because the views wont provide me the information I want.

Does no-one else feel like the carrier views need re-worked somehow? They're either annoyingly too close, or too damned far.

One thing I should say is that I'm one of those people who is really sensitive to games not having a correctly set FoV, so it could be related to that.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
My best ever game, in a DD none the less.
I am terrible at aiming torps (or the ennemy is good at avoiding them) and could have gotten another BB if I was somehow competent.
Still managed to gun down a damaged Cleveland and Adoba in a 2v1 match, my proudest moment.
I quite like the Gremyashchiy with both turret turn speed upgrades, Torpedoes are good enough,the hull still out-turn the guns but it's easy enough to land good hits and the guns have a good balance of firepower and reload speed allowing you to run evasive maneuvers without missing too many chances to fire.

Now that my Soviet captain has unlocked tier 3 skills, I need to choose between the Smoke boost or the Detection alert. Any experienced DD captain has an opinion on those ?
I think for a beginer the detection alert might be the better choice to get a feel of how the detection work in this game.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 09:23 on May 9, 2015

Dawning Horror
Jun 18, 2009

Krogort posted:

Now that my Soviet captain has unlocked tier 3 skills, I need to choose between the Smoke boost or the Detection alert. Any experienced DD captain has an opinion on those ?
I think for a beginer the detection alert might be the better choice to get a feel of how the detection work in this game.

Yeah go for the detection one. It was indispensable in WoT and it's even better here because getting spotted feels even wonkier with planes and smoke.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Krogort posted:

My best ever game, in a DD none the less.
I am terrible at aiming torps (or the ennemy is good at avoiding them) and could have gotten another BB if I was somehow competent.
Still managed to gun down a damaged Cleveland and Adoba in a 2v1 match, my proudest moment.
I quite like the Gremyashchiy with both turret turn speed upgrades, Torpedoes are good enough,the hull still out-turn the guns but it's easy enough to land good hits and the guns have a good balance of firepower and reload speed allowing you to run evasive maneuvers without missing too many chances to fire.

Expand the "Concealment" tab on the right side of the Port screen. If <ship> is closer than x, or <plane> closer than y, consider yourself detected. It takes about ten seconds to disappear once you clear your concealment range again. I prefer at least a klick of buffer from CL+ if I'm trying yo be sneaky, but with DDs detection is usually mutual. I would only take Detection on a CV, since if you get spotted and you can't see anything within your concealment bubble, there's a DD out there about to ruin your day.

Edit: I can see it being hella useful around smoke, but I figure if my target isn't aiming/shooting at me they either can't see me or they're ignoring me; either way, I have enough time for a torpedo run.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Really sick of allied BBs spending the whole match taking a blueline pleasure cruise.