Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Bases on alert right now, fun fun fun

Is there a reason? It seems pretty widespread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
It is likely a reaction to the thing going on in Australia at the moment.

Not an incident just a lockdown on a group of people who are likely nutters. Bombs possibly involved though.

Spacman fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 8, 2015

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Spacman posted:

It is likely a reaction to the thing going on in Australia at the moment.

pretend like I work in an environment where I don't have easy access to media and just got home

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

krispykremessuck posted:

pretend like I work in an environment where I don't have easy access to media and just got home

Google it. There have been a few anti terrorism raids today.

Spacman fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 8, 2015

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

krispykremessuck posted:

Australia anti-terror police arrest two in Sydney.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Spacman posted:

Google it

thanks I'm glad to know some weird australian guy thinks global warming is a UN plot

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

RFC2324 posted:

Texas, Hell, I can't tell the difference. Both hot as gently caress.

"If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent Texas and live in Hell" -Gen. Sheridan

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

krispykremessuck posted:

thanks I'm glad to know some weird australian guy thinks global warming is a UN plot

I hope you are wounded in a market bombing and go broke because you have to pay for poo poo like basic lifesaving medical treatment in America

Spacman fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 8, 2015

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Spacman posted:

I hope you are wounded in a market bombing and go broke because you have to pay for poo poo like basic lifesaving medical treatment in America

same

e: also I dunno if you've got FAS or are just ESL (I get you're australian and probably interbred with aborigines or maoris) or where the communication breakdown here is but no major news source, including non-American news sources is carrying any kind of headline news (about something in Australia) that would shed light on why US bases would change their FPCON so... here we are.

krispykremessuck fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 8, 2015

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Spacman posted:

wow rude as gently caress m8

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

wow rude as gently caress m8

It might be rude, but I hope you all get scabies and need to pay money to get it fixed. haha, paying money for that... hahaha

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
Hey, it was ISIS all along:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/08/politics/isis-activity-prompts-threat-level-increase-at-bases/

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

krispykremessuck posted:

same

e: also I dunno if you've got FAS or are just ESL (I get you're australian and probably interbred with aborigines or maoris) or where the communication breakdown here is but no major news source, including non-American news sources is carrying any kind of headline news (about something in Australia) that would shed light on why US bases would change their FPCON so... here we are.

You have a load of bases here, and marines ruining the NT... likely just to get that sweet free healthcare on a 457 visa...

Link whatever bullshit cnn story you want. I know you are trying to steal our free healthcare.

Spacman fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 8, 2015

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Spacman posted:

It might be rude, but I hope you all get scabies and need to pay money to get it fixed. haha, paying money for that... hahaha

sorry to burst your bubble but i live in a 1st world country and not an apocalyptic hellscape and i bath on a regular basis so not too worried about scabies

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

hey thanks bud, didn't see that earlier

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

sorry to burst your bubble but i live in a 1st world country and not an apocalyptic hellscape and i bath on a regular basis so not too worried about scabies

So Germany or Russia?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Spacman posted:

So Germany or Russia?

:ironicat:

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

It makes sense. I understand now why the Stennis battle group was hanging about fleet base west last week.

Sucking up all our free health care.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Spacman posted:

It makes sense. I understand now why the Stennis battle group was hanging about fleet base west last week.

pretty sure they had enough motrin on board that they didnt need to resort to using your witch doctors

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Spacman posted:

idgi, because everyone in the military gets free healthcare

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, Tricare pays for it when you are overseas, I don't get it either.

And if you call the public system there anything kind of good then I don't know what the gently caress.

Also, 30 dollars for scripts you gotta be outta your loving mind get the gently caress outta here.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Spacman posted:

You have a load of bases here, and marines ruining the NT... likely just to get that sweet free healthcare on a 457 visa...

Link whatever bullshit cnn story you want. I know you are trying to steal our free healthcare.

Well, you had an angry brown teen with a pipe bomb...

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Forbes: Five Signs Afghanistan is Becoming an American Success Story
:laffo:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Forbes: Have we ever really known what we're talking about?

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
Forbes: lol

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
give gunny human being a kiss devil dawg
/

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Whenever I hear success and afghanistan in the same sentence I think of that officer talking about the afghan troops in that vice episode. Such a waste of resources

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I'm enjoying the "stabbed in the back" meme that conservatives are starting to bandy about regarding Iraq and Afghanistan.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
:vince:
:gifttank::gooncamp:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Depends on your definition of success. If that definition includes pumping billions of dollars into US defense contractors, killing lots of brown people, creating an economic stimulus for the portable hard drive and dip industries, and getting half of GiP free education and zero money down on houses, then Mission Accomplished.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm enjoying the "stabbed in the back" meme that conservatives are starting to bandy about regarding Iraq and Afghanistan.

We're calling it "Green on Blue" now, thanks.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

psydude posted:

Depends on your definition of success. If that definition includes pumping billions of dollars into US defense contractors, killing lots of brown people, creating an economic stimulus for the portable hard drive and dip industries, and getting half of GiP free education and zero money down on houses, then Mission Accomplished.

Well, to be fair to Forbes they are citing concrete improvements... so it's a success story if they mean "disregarding that it took almost 14 years to get this far and umpteen zillion dollars and casualties".

A better title would have been :"Afghanistan: Where we could have been in 2005 at 1/10 the price if we hadn't decided to go party in Iraq."

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Dead Reckoning posted:

We're calling it "Green on Blue" now, thanks.

Appropriation of military culture :byodood:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Kiryen posted:

Well, to be fair to Forbes they are citing concrete improvements... so it's a success story if they mean "disregarding that it took almost 14 years to get this far and umpteen zillion dollars and casualties".

A better title would have been :"Afghanistan: Where we could have been in 2005 at 1/10 the price if we hadn't decided to go party in Iraq."

We should have used a hybrid Israeli/US strategy, destroy everything, blockade the country and make any aid go through the US for delivery by Reapers.

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/08/world/middleeast/riot-erupts-in-irans-kurdish-capital-over-womans-death.html

I guess the kurds are starting to gently caress poo poo up in Iran.

I bet the US gov is like " How can we fund these guys? " And some other dude just comes out of no where with a report about funding them in iraq already, sees the figures and just goes " oooooooooh, never mind. "

Current world politics reminds me of the support rebels stuff in EU4

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just hope that if Kurdistan ever becomes a free nation, they don't just immediately evolve into a retarded tribal justice backwater.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Starting?

Maybe I'm plugged into different circles but I've been hearing that poo poo ever since 2011. It's just gotten a lot more intense post-ISIS pulling the entire house of cards down in Iraq, which in turn has further distorted the discussion on Afghanistan.

"We can't ever leave otherwise it will turn into another Iraq!!!!!! Terrorists might take-over!!!! Remember what happened the last time they took over??!?!?!?!?"

Kiryen posted:

Except even the "concrete improvements" aren't a) concrete (or real) and b) improvements.

In order:

1. Afghan security forces are performing well.

Except for the bit about how they're getting killed quicker than they can be recruited, or the bit about how they're deserting in droves, or the bit about how a significant portion of them don't exist (pay-roll shenanigans in a third-world military?!?!?!? I'm shocked). Or the part where outside of being used for bullet sponges in poorly thought out tactical operations they are completely helpless because they are incapable of any sort of logistics, or airpower, or intel, or operational thinking (much less strategic) or any of the hundred other enabling functions that a military needs to be at least semi-functional. Or the bit about how saying they're in charge of all 34 provincial capitols is reeeeeeally stretching the truth since militants have been at the gates of Kunduz for the past couple of weeks and the Taliban basically runs the provincial capitols in the east (Jbad, Parun, Khost, etc).

2. The political outlook has brightened.

Technically true I guess but short of putting Mullah Omar back in charge it would've been hard to do much worse than Karzai.

3. Pakistan has awakened to shared interests.

lol

4. The economy has made huge progress.

A 1000% increase of 0 is still 0. Also he claims opium production has fallen and that is an outright lie. Production in 2014 was the highest its been since 2001.

5. Popular opinion supports national institutions.

....according to NATO surveys. So yes, when the white guys with guns come and ask Afghans whether they prefer the side backed by the white guys with guns or the other side, of course they answer the first option. Something tells me that they'll be singing a different tune when asked by the guys with guns from the other side.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 9, 2015

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

MaxPowers posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/08/world/middleeast/riot-erupts-in-irans-kurdish-capital-over-womans-death.html

I guess the kurds are starting to gently caress poo poo up in Iran.

I bet the US gov is like " How can we fund these guys? " And some other dude just comes out of no where with a report about funding them in iraq already, sees the figures and just goes " oooooooooh, never mind. "

Current world politics reminds me of the support rebels stuff in EU4

When the kurds step up against an actual state it usually works out great for them so that's nice.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The alternative to the "stabbed in the back" myth is essentially Forever War, right?

I don't understand how Conservatives would back endless casualties for ARE TROOPS. :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Frosted Flake posted:

The alternative to the "stabbed in the back" myth is essentially Forever War, right?

I don't understand how Conservatives would back endless casualties for ARE TROOPS. :911:

Familiar with the gambler's fallacy? Also known as sunken cost... You may remember it as Vietnam! Lets get it done in 68!

• Locked thread