Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

RadioactiveKid posted:

This game is fun as hell, it was worth waking up early on a Saturday. I'm pretty terrible at most shooters but with the roller I was almost always the top player on my team. A roller with a splatershot for cover is a pretty good combo for covering up a lot of ground in your teams color. Would be nice if they at least had a basic way of communicating with people like the lobby for a race in Mario Kart

The D-pad has two communication macros. One is "C'mon" to get teammates' attention to your area, and the other is "Booyah!" to lord your victory over your recently fallen enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I mainly used the roller but I tried out the non sniper rifle weapons for a bit too before going back to the roller. I really like all the choices they made to make the game accessible to players of all skill levels. Even if you're not splatting people you can help out by creating paths and serving as a place to super jump to. That one butt rock track is pretty great as well. Game owns.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

And down :)

I only played with the charger a couple rounds, couldn't really get it to work. Anyway, the roller is OP and it's not clear why any other weapon should merit consideration after that.
Rollers are insanely vulnerable to anyone standing even slightly far away or above you, and their attacks are super easy to avoid if you are paying attention. Its not even dramatically better than the other weapons at painting territory, with the exception of big wide open areas like the center of the warehouse or that storage area on the north side of the rig. It doesn't suck or anything, but its very much this game's shotgun. I think its cool that everyone thinks their favorite weapons are OP though, that probably says something.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Damone posted:

How does one not get 4 digits with a splat roller. Other than that most of my games have been hilariously close with less than half a percentage deciding between matches. Ink those walls too guys!

Others are suggesting the walls don't actually count beyond the movement they provide.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Damone posted:

How does one not get 4 digits with a splat roller. Other than that most of my games have been hilariously close with less than half a percentage deciding between matches. Ink those walls too guys!
Walls don't count.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

raditts posted:

The D-pad has two communication macros. One is "C'mon" to get teammates' attention to your area, and the other is "Booyah!" to lord your victory over your recently fallen enemies.

Thats all I need

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I want to try out the paint brush, might be pretty cool if it's a faster version of the roller but sacrifices some coverage with longer range and better precision.

RadioactiveKid
Aug 12, 2005

Gato Rebelde

raditts posted:

whoa the matches I was playing where so hectic, and I was having so much fun I never noticed that

Lurkcopter
Aug 6, 2013
Just played the demo. Any doubts I had about this game are now gone. Game's fun as hell and I hope they'll do more demo sessions leading up to the launch.

About the splat charger, I thought it was a pretty effective weapon. It's not the best at claiming turf in general, but is still decent at it as long as you remember to use uncharged and semi-charged shots. Besides that, you can dispose of rollers without any risk and mess with the enemy's movement by laying down lanes of ink. I do agree it's a weapon you don't want more than one per team though.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

raditts posted:

I spent the second hour trying to get used to gyro aiming and I just couldn't, it's not clicking with me. It probably didn't help that it kept configuring my aiming so that holding the gamepad level would aim me straight up in the air.

I guess I'll try again when the full game comes out, but I think I'm going to be an analog stick man, at least for close range stuff like the roller and Splatter Jr.

You can press Y to reset your view. It tells you in the tutorial.

I'm not using the gyro controls either. Maybe I'd leave it on and sometimes use it if you could aim up and down with the stick without turning it off.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
I had an absolute blast. Can't wait for the next hour.

WORLDS BEST BABY
Aug 26, 2006

What a great game. I'm totally sold on it after that hour.

• Making a game about shooting everything (instead of just your opponents) seems so blindingly obvious now.
  • Gyro controls worked very well for me, forgot they were there after the first match.
  • Switching between strategic/tactical thinking in terms of where to paint/getting into firefights is a lot of fun.
  • Extremely happy that you can play squiddy retro games during matchmaking, unlike some games where you have to watch a spaceship fly around for three minutes (Destiny)
  • Speaking of Destiny, it's kind of fun to see similar mechanics (like super abilities) refracted through Nintendo's sensibilities!
  • Weapons seem quite balanced when you consider that players with rollers will be giant neon targets when everyone has played a bit more.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Jarogue posted:

Also I like how when 2 roller go head to head, it ends in a draw.

That happened to me many many times.

I seriously hope Nintendo doesn't leave us hanging until the release of the game, I need to splatoon.

RadioactiveKid
Aug 12, 2005

Gato Rebelde

WORLDS BEST BABY posted:

What a great game. I'm totally sold on it after that hour.

• Weapons seem quite balanced when you consider that players with rollers will be giant neon targets when everyone has played a bit more.

the few times I used the splatershot rollers where easy to get because they are basically painting a path to their location. Especially early in the game when fresh paint is easier to spot on the map

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Only got less than 10 minutes of the second and I bet I'll miss the third but it could be neat.
:smith:

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
It's impressive that the netcode is so good considering that in addition to enemy position and where they're firing, the game also has to keep track of and send where the ink is.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Things I have learn in round 2

Japan seem to have learn to pair up when going against a roller. They as seem to be in to the roller a lot more then the people last night. (most of my matches after 30 mins were 6-7 rollers 1-2 guns. Guess they don't play much shooter games.) They also seem to love the voice commands.(How do you use it? Couldn't find it when I was playing.) Good thing there is no voice chat or else I would be get a language that I don't understand.

Taping the ZR helps you paint walls, hit people from a far and good for sniping people when on high ground. Also when 2 or more people gang up on you and your a roller, don't roll, just tap and splash. You will usual get them both. When head to head with another roller, turn and hit them from the side or splash them.
The Roller's sub is a lot better when you use it to scare people to move and can be tossed really high.(got a bunch of chargers on the high ground with it. ) Also planting them behind people seem to be the most effective. Lastly dive in to ink when you use the sub because it leave you with less the 10% ink.

The normal gun is good but I suck at it,
Need to learn to aim with charger,
Shooting rollers at the feet seems to be effective at slowing them down,
And a team full of roller seems to work out fine some how.

HELP ME, I'M WAY TOO INTO THIS GAME.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I'm really liking what I see so far of this game.

I mean, not enough to consider a wii or wiiU but you know, enough to slightly regret not having either.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Well now that most of us are sold on the game (I just pre-purchased it digitally this morning) it's time to answer the biggest question.
Which people are decent human beings as opposed to the people who will be joining Team Cat?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

I mean, not enough to consider a wii or wiiU but you know, enough to slightly regret not having either.

Well I should hope it wouldn't make you get a Wii since you wouldn't be able to play Splatoon on it.

That said you should get a Wii U.

Damone
May 3, 2009

SilverSupernova posted:

Well now that most of us are sold on the game (I just pre-purchased it digitally this morning) it's time to answer the biggest question.
Which people are decent human beings as opposed to the people who will be joining Team Cat?

I forgot where I saw this but the first fest might not be Cat vs Dog, rather Rock vs Pop.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Damone posted:

I forgot where I saw this but the first fest might not be Cat vs Dog, rather Rock vs Pop.

They are different in Europe and the US.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Team Dog? More like team CATch a bullet in your face.

Team Cat.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ohtsam posted:

It's impressive that the netcode is so good considering that in addition to enemy position and where they're firing, the game also has to keep track of and send where the ink is.

I got splatted by a couple players a good two seconds after i killed them so laggy stuff like that can still happen.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

There got Kirby's Paint Roller or Drawcia/Paintra reference in the game.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Damone posted:

Ink those walls too guys!

Walls don't count towards % covered.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Team Dog? More like team CATch a bullet in your face.

Team Cat.

I believe you meant CATch an ink blob in my face.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I thought there was a discount if you downloaded the test. Still looks full price in the store.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

pixaal posted:

I thought there was a discount if you downloaded the test. Still looks full price in the store.

That's EU only.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I don't think inking the walls adds to your turf war score. Or at least that's how it was at last years treehouse thing.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ohtsam posted:

i like getting Splat! by a roller when i already rolled them over from the side

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Lord Lambeth posted:

I don't think inking the walls adds to your turf war score. Or at least that's how it was at last years treehouse thing.

Please be considerate of your roller-using friends who would like to climb walls but can't spray ink high enough

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I can't aim for poo poo and I constantly get lost. Finally, they made a shooter that plays to my strengths.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Woe to any slob that chooses pop over rock.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

God DAMM we still have to wait 20 more days........

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.
Anyone else have wild Splatoon dreams from playing right before bed? My girlfriend and I both woke up after a night of painting wild landscapes. Something about those colors just coats the brain.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

MTV Crib Death posted:

Anyone else have wild Splatoon dreams from playing right before bed? My girlfriend and I both woke up after a night of painting wild landscapes. Something about those colors just coats the brain.

Oh thank god I don't have to be the only one to admit this.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

mabels big day posted:

God DAMM we still have to wait 20 more days........

I figured that couldn't possibly be true and double checked and now I'm mad at you and the world.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Final test is in ~2 hours, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Countblanc posted:

Final test is in ~2 hours, right?

yeahhh boi