Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

oda does it again

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

so I'll bite: what am i supposed to see in the intense darkness?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

so I'll bite: what am i supposed to see in the intense darkness?

Bow and arrow.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The bow and arrow.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think some people are disappointed that a glimpse of pucci wasn't shown hanging around or something, but that would be a hell of a reference and the bow and arrow are definitely 'safer' to use because an arc 4 anime is much more likely than an arc 6 one at the moment.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Pucci being around wouldn't really make sense, though, would it? I mean, he seems like the kind of guy who would've gladly helped DIO fight against the Joestars.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Pucci being around wouldn't really make sense, though, would it? I mean, he seems like the kind of guy who would've gladly helped DIO fight against the Joestars.

When do you propose Pucci visited Dio in the 80s?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Maybe he visited him back before they reached Egypt. When they were still early on in their journey, perhaps?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Can't wait for Jotaro to find a book in Dio's mansion and wonder why it's just the words "rhinoceros beetle" over and over

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Jotaro finds a scribbled note with Dio's handwriting: "How does it work????"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ekusukariba posted:

So did anyone point out what is on Dio's wall yet?

edit:found an adjusted lighting image that makes it easier to see

Yes!  Yes!  Yes!  Oh  My  God!

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Davinci posted:

I bet Holly's stand would be really cool if she had the fighting spirit to bend it to her will.

It would probably coil all up like a cross between Stone Free and hermit purple. It will be called Savage  Garden.

Enourmo posted:

Y'all are crazy if you don't think her stand would be called Hollywood Rose

No you fools. It would clearly be「 Budding Holly」

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Jotaro finds a scribbled note with Dio's handwriting: "How does it work????"

Nah, that should be 「It  just  works」

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

DIO's notes on how to attain Heaven were clearly a prank scavenger hunt or some form of bizarre friendship ritual he had planned for Pucci that was meant to be more symbolic than anything.

Pucci just somehow managed to get it to actually work.

Probably because of gravity.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 9, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I hope the words of heaven are written on The World.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Waffleman_ posted:

I hope the words of heaven are written on The World.

Originally I wanted Pucci to make a ~2 second cameo but I would actually prefer this. It's just subtle enough, like the birthmarks on Jonathan and Joseph and the bow and arrow.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Furious that I've finally caught up with the JoJo anime. Once this series over I don't feel like I have much choice but to start reading the fan translations of Part 4 onwards. How good are they compared to the official anime translations? Just want to know what I'm in for.

Are there multiple fan translations and is one of them clearly the best?

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Duwang is the best. It's all you'll ever need.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

All of Part 4 has been retranslated and it's fine.

You don't have to read Duwang. No one does anymore.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Part 4 has two well known translations.

The Duwang translations, which are terrible, but also beloved by many who have read them. They still manage to perfectly convey the Jojo spirit, and are also really funny at times. You can expect many, many people to post Duwang quotes when the anime gets to part 4. Not only is this translated badly, but it also looks bad. It uses low resolution black and white scans with shoddy ms paint drawn rectangles over the speech bubbles to write in.

There's also the new translation, I haven't read this one but I think it only uses colored scans and puts a decent amount of effort into making it look nice. This is an actually well done translation, and it even keeps some of the more iconic Duwang lines.

Basically if it looks bad and reads bad, you're reading Duwang, and if it looks and reads good you're reading the new one.

Also don't read part 4 until part 3 finishes, as it has major spoilers for part 3 in it.

Davinci fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 9, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The official anime translations are pretty middling even at their best, so if you're concerned about a drop in quality, it's not an issue.

The good translation of 4 is black and white and the colour one is in progress.
Batoto has what you need for anything that isn't legally available already.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Thanks for the information! Has Duwang continued until where the manga is currently up until Part 8? I can see myself blazing through a lot of these as I'm a fast reader.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Duwang is only part 4. Part 5 has a translation that looks and reads better, but is actually worse because it outright makes poo poo up, and its retranslation is slow. From then on, the translations are at the least acceptable.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
DUWANG is just for part 4.

Basically it goes like this: Part 4 has a good translation, as does the the first third or so of Part 5, then it becomes poo poo. Part 6 is fine and then parts 7&8 are good again.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The good part 4 translation is by the invincible trio

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
Calling the new translations the "good" translations is a bit misleading. Sure, they have better scans and editing, and are written in fluent English, but that just distracts people from the fact that the translation isn't actually very good. Also, the first few volumes just copy the script straight out of Duwang, except they edited it into proper English.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
What's wrong with that? The problem with Duwang wasn't the accuracy, it was the awful grammar. Its not like the Part V translation where they just make random poo poo up.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Broseph Brostar posted:

What's wrong with that? The problem with Duwang wasn't the accuracy, it was the awful grammar. Its not like the Part V translation where they just make random poo poo up.
Yeah, Duwang got actually semi competent in the end with Kira's boner line actually being pretty correct is the best example I can think of.

Duwang's somewhat funny when you look at a collection of all the silly lines, but do not actually read Duwang because it's still bad and The Invincible Trio did a good job with fixing up that dumpster fire.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
My favorite part of the part 5 translaton was when there was a two page aside trying to explain king crimson and does the worst job I have ever seen doing so.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, the best comparison I can think of for Duwang is HK subs. They're basically accurate (aside from cocking up names all the time) but the grammar is completely awful.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
If you want to get an idea of how hilariously terrible Duwang subs are this is the classic collage of panels. I'd warn you about spoilers but looking over it, it's so non-sensical you honestly won't be able to get spoiled on anything from looking at it.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
"Get a feeling so complicated" is a miracle of the english language, and I will stand by that to the death.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Broseph Brostar posted:

I can think of quite a few things wrong with the Duwang translation:
- You don't get the random Emphasis that Araki inserts into his Dialogue.
- The gangster doesn't diss Josuke's hair by comparing him to Astro Boy
- Josuke doesn't go, "What was that again? Didja say my hair looked like Sazae-san's?" when he's punching him.

That's skimming the first chapter, but I could probably find more if I had nothing better to do in the afternoon. Anyway, trusting that Duwang is a good translation means having faith that the guys who translated Jojo into Chinese, as well as the guy who translated the Chinese translation into English, managed to do their jobs without loving anything up. Given the Duwang guy struggles to even form a proper sentence, I think we can agree that even if he managed to translate the general meaning of the text, you're still only getting a hazy image of the original at best.

Although it is better than what we have for Vento Aureo, I'll give you that.

Moltrey posted:

Duwang's somewhat funny when you look at a collection of all the silly lines, but do not actually read Duwang because it's still bad and The Invincible Trio did a good job with fixing up that dumpster fire.

I don't want to get too deep into this, but there are times where they completely miss the meaning of the text where Duwang actually did decently, like so:

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 10, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm pretty sure the translation with the colored scans brings those back, at least.

e: the disses aren't specific but they're basically the same meaning, and honestly cutting the Sazae-san reference is probably a good move since that series is pretty much a footnote outside Japan.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 10, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

That's cuz the colored scans for the final two volumes of Part 4 are done by someone else to celebrate Araki's birthday. :v:

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I unironically love the "I feel you" line and feel like it perfectly suits Okuyasu in its weird, stilted earnestness.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Zero_Tactility posted:

I unironically love the "I feel you" line and feel like it perfectly suits Okuyasu in its weird, stilted earnestness.

I've only read the newer translation of Part 4, and I didn't even realize on my readthrough that that was one of the old Duwang lines; it just kind of fit.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Crunchyroll better not be loving with me, staff doing location scouting for part iv?: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/05/09-1/jojos-bizarre-adventure-part-iv-diamond-is-unbreakable-anime-teased

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

"But I've been twelve for a very long time"

CJ posted:

If you want to get an idea of how hilariously terrible Duwang subs are this is the classic collage of panels. I'd warn you about spoilers but looking over it, it's so non-sensical you honestly won't be able to get spoiled on anything from looking at it.

The "My Mom!" Line further enables my belief that Part 4 is just Regular Show and in my head Okuyasu sounds like Muscle Man.

• Locked thread