Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Rad Valtar posted:

I'm seriously considering buying this game but all the talk of it being a hard racing SIM is kind of scaring me. I've always been pretty good at Forza or GT, how does this game compare to those in terms of difficulty?

The most difficult part we're all having is dialing in control settings, which is to be expected. That being said, the game is very friendly. I think you'll really enjoy it coming from those two series.

I forgot to add something in regards to controller sensitivity settings: a higher number means there's less range of motion, which is what kills that twitch feeling. Important for speed sens as you'll want a high enough number to be comfortable with while retaining the ability to take turns without settings based understeer based on reduced range of motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I love the helmet cam, but it's hard to get the FOV right with it. The calculators are setup for normal cockpit views.

Think its more of a seat height issue.

Lotus 49, Thunderstorm, Imola, helmet cam. So much fun. It's like a sim race horror mode.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I for one began to enjoy helmet cam much more after I turned off the visible helmet. Now I get peripheral vision and after a few minutes the looking at the apex feature feels so natural I forget its even happening.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Rad Valtar posted:

I'm seriously considering buying this game but all the talk of it being a hard racing SIM is kind of scaring me. I've always been pretty good at Forza or GT, how does this game compare to those in terms of difficulty?

It's not that bad, if you were good at Forza then you'll do ok here, just expect some adjustment time.

And re: 3rd person and helmet cam, yeah, I started in 3rd because it was what I was used to and ended up switching to helmet / cockpit cam. Unexpectedly, I felt way more confident and started doing a lot better.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I accidentally set a race to 1 1/2 hours and it's too late now, I'm pot committed.

Still can't get my driving force EX's force feedback to work, anyone know what I can try to fix it?

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Iridium posted:

And re: 3rd person and helmet cam, yeah, I started in 3rd because it was what I was used to and ended up switching to helmet / cockpit cam. Unexpectedly, I felt way more confident and started doing a lot better.

I had the same experience when I picked up iRacing and a G27 a couple of months ago. I figured I'd give cockpit a shot since I had an actual wheel, and two months later I'm shocked at how much easier it is. It was really rough at first giving up the additional field of view a chase cam gets you, but as I got better I started reacting instinctively to minute movements of the car that would have been incredibly difficult for me to perceive in 3rd person mode.

It also makes me feel more like a race driver and less like I'm playing with a remote control car, which is a plus because I'm a dork.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Once cockpit view starts clicking for you, its the best feeling.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

hang around in group chat if you want to catch sporadic goon races today, you can join on players in group chat

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonracingclub

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This game is brutal and unforgiving. Years I have waited for such a thing on console :unsmith:

Would love a wheel one day when I have the space/good chair

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

cat doter posted:

It didn't exactly fix the problem, but try a high steering deadzone and low steering sensitivity, you can't quite dart through corners but with it set up like that I spin out less.

Ok, so I got my logitech driving force EX set up, turns out there was a button assignment menu I didn't see. Problem now is though the force feedback doesn't work. It looks like it's turned on and everything but I'm not getting anything. Anyone know what the deal is?

I've got a Driving Force Pro, but it's not compatible with the PS4. Probably has something to do with the PS3 being hacked through the USB ports, which means they won't allow unsigned devices to communicate with the PS4.

I could have got the PC version, but I actually had an easier time using the controller in Gran Turismo 4-6, mostly because I could turn more quickly with less effort. However, you also didn't need to be nearly as gentle with the analogue stick in those games to keep your car from spinning out.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Yeah I'm playing the PC version so it's compatible, sort of, I can get it to work by reassigning brake to the proper pedal but I can't get force feedback to work. Curiously, while googling around, I've seen a few different videos like this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkYthZwVEJw

It's some driver or calibration program that you can test the force feedback with, but I can't find it on logitech's website. All I could find is this page http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/driving-force-ex which has some program that I've installed that does nothing and I can't even find it after installs so I don't know what the gently caress is going on. Someone help, no force feedback makes cat doter saaaaad :smith:

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
I keep having a problem with my g27, if any of you have an idea what the gently caress... it would save me a lot of rage. Randomly during a race, after the H shifter has been working as expected, gear positions 1 and 2 will suddenly become "shift down" and "shift up". So if I'm in 3rd and try to drop to 2, instead, it will shift to 4. This just seems to happen at random. Races start out fine, but then after a turn or two I'm fighting with my drat shifter trying to figure out what the gently caress and I'm not a good driver to begin with. Its making things VERY frustrating.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
I was given a copy on PS4 by a friend, when then asked, "Oh do you want to try a steering wheel?"

Of course, I said yes. I sold my Fanatec about two years ago and figures it would be best to review the game with a wheel instead of just a gamepad.

Long story short, he could only get a Thrustmaster TX for Xbone, so he lent me his console and an Xbone copy of the game. So now I'm shopping for Thrustmaster PS4 wheels because gently caress going back to a controller :classiclol:

Hello Spaceman fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 9, 2015

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

cheesetriangles posted:

Neogaf is all saying its terrible where is my Japanese cars and Chevy's and 100 Skyline variants. Look what happened to poor Mclaren when they teamed up with the Japanese to make a race car!

It is a motorsport simulator not a car collector.

"projectcarsgame.com posted:

Whilst we all salivate over the curves of an Italian sports car, the growl of a V8 engine, or the sublime handling of a highly-tuned GT machine, for most people their love for cars starts with the one parked on the driveway of their house. Whether that’s a hot hatchback, a luxury saloon, or a city runner, Project CARS has a number of vehicles on offer that you’d likely see driving around in your everyday life.

The way I'm reading this, I shouldn't be too far out of line wanting to race my 2003 S2000 against Boxters and Z3s

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Norns posted:

Once cockpit view starts clicking for you, its the best feeling.
I wish the game had wheel-turn based looking, like in LFS. I loving hate the look-to-apex feature, because it's quasi indeterministic. I'd like to control myself when my view changes.

So it's hood-view or the Rift. Latter sadly doesn't work on Windows 10 yet, so... :toot:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Toning down the look into apex feature works well. I use the helmet view just to give a bit more motion to the game.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Has anyone experimented with the various "speed" options? I thought I read a while back it changes how the motion blur works??

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

holocaust bloopers posted:

Toning down the look into apex feature works well. I use the helmet view just to give a bit more motion to the game.

I actually turned the Apex look up to 55 myself. I really like it.

Anyone use track IR with this yet?

Really debating between upgrading soon with triple monitors or just holding off for the steam VR headset or Rift.

I have a feeling my Butt Kickers + VR headset would be INSANE.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

How come my loving Crew Chief never says poo poo?

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

cat doter posted:

Yeah I'm playing the PC version so it's compatible, sort of, I can get it to work by reassigning brake to the proper pedal but I can't get force feedback to work. Curiously, while googling around, I've seen a few different videos like this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkYthZwVEJw

It's some driver or calibration program that you can test the force feedback with, but I can't find it on logitech's website. All I could find is this page http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/driving-force-ex which has some program that I've installed that does nothing and I can't even find it after installs so I don't know what the gently caress is going on. Someone help, no force feedback makes cat doter saaaaad :smith:

The iracing developers have a FFB Checking tool on the iracing forums here: http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/1473510.page

Assuming you don't have an iracing account so here is a mirror:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tixxng83msdm803/WheelCheck_1_72.zip?dl=0

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Norns posted:

Anyone use track IR with this yet?

I did, it's not bad at lower speed stuff but as I moved up to more powerful poo poo I found it to be distracting. Would probably work out better if I fine tuned the curve but generally it doesn't seem super necessary.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Norns posted:

How come my loving Crew Chief never says poo poo?

Mine never did until I hit Super Karts.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

that was some fun poo poo. I even won a race! after half the people left and we did a car and track combination I did tons of times in Forza 4

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Mine never did until I hit Super Karts.

I've heard him like twice. And im half way into the super carts season and i've done a ton of other events.

I just want to roleplay this moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTZSnqPp2NU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Laguna Seca at night ooooownnnnnssss

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Should I do GT5 or Formula Gulf after my formula rookie contract?

Edit: gently caress I accidentally selected Formula Rookie again. How do I change that?

Comrade Flynn fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 10, 2015

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

When you complete the series again. :smugdog:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Owch

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Diet Crack posted:

When you complete the series again. :smugdog:

Seriously? There is no way I'm going through that poo poo again.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So with a solid-sounding MP from all the thread posts, would y'all say the same on its SP? Because I kinda wanna try it, yet lack bloody loving everything. Also, those beefy-seeming specs are a bit of a detriment.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

This game sure gets pretty when it rains

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Stock car around Nordschleife is a riot.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
I'm playing this on PS4 with a controller and only use anti lock brakes.

Am I normal?

Takes a lot of getting used to coming up from the likes of GT and Forza. Doing more practising than real racing but karts have proven no real problem so far.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bigsteve posted:

I'm playing this on PS4 with a controller and only use anti lock brakes.

Am I normal?

Takes a lot of getting used to coming up from the likes of GT and Forza. Doing more practising than real racing but karts have proven no real problem so far.

Even some real life race cars use anti lock brakes, and all of the non-race super cars in the game have advance ABS systems in their real life counter parts. The real life variations of some of these cars are downright dangerous to drive for the most experienced drivers with ABS turned off.

[edit]
Or maybe i'm thinking of traction control, but either way some of these cars actually realistically meant to be driven with these aids.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 08:57 on May 10, 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I play with the Real assists on. I figure if the real life version of the car has all the poo poo turned on when people drive them, why shouldn't I drive it that way in a Sim?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Trying to hold a good line with just a keyboard is kind of a pain and I feel like I'm going to give myself RSI from trying. Any recommendations for a good-yet-affordable wheel + pedals?

alr
May 14, 2009
Ebay or Craigslist a Logitech DFGT. If you're willing to spend $200-$230 or so, a new Logitech G27 when it's on sale. This game is also genuinely playable with a wired 360 controller, so don't feel you absolutely have to get a wheel.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

I said come in! posted:

Even some real life race cars use anti lock brakes, and all of the non-race super cars in the game have advance ABS systems in their real life counter parts. The real life variations of some of these cars are downright dangerous to drive for the most experienced drivers with ABS turned off.

[edit]
Or maybe i'm thinking of traction control, but either way some of these cars actually realistically meant to be driven with these aids.

Some have both. I had brakes and traction on but found it more consistent when I tried traction off. Still got a way to go as its a hell of a learning curve but am loving it.

Maybe in the future I will get a proper set up but at the moment, plating on the couch the pad is fine.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Jabor posted:

Trying to hold a good line with just a keyboard is kind of a pain and I feel like I'm going to give myself RSI from trying. Any recommendations for a good-yet-affordable wheel + pedals?

All of the above are perfect suggestions, but may i add that if you buy Logitech Driving Force Pro, you'll end up springing for a G27 or above after you've gotta used to it. So spring for a G27 if you can afford it now, and never look back.

(The DFP is a solid wheel though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Found this today
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22938-Jack-Spade-FFB-Tweaker-Files&p=891198

Going to give it a try tomorrow. I've been pretty pleased with mostly default settings on my G27, but it should be noted that i'm getting a lot of extra feedback from my Buttkicker Simkit. But, I've played with the buttkickers disabled and had no major issues.

@Jabor, if you can afford the 200 bucks, the G27 is well worth the price.

• Locked thread