Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I've probably asked this before, but does anyone have any general boardgame 'cast recommendations? Shut Up and Sit down used to be my go to, but they tend to not post them regularly and also have shows devoted to those "game experience" room escape type things that I will never be able to play. I've got On Board Games and Board Games To Go in my feed, but both are kinda dry and too nerdy for me. Three Moves Ahead is rad, but they generally cover hardcore wargames if they are doing a tabletop episode, and I don't play those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

DoubleCakes posted:

I've been binging Idle Thumbs since October and its been quite the ride (I'm about 80% caught up). I wasn't expecting the podcast to be so funny, but sometimes it gets downright hilarious. Jake of course is the funniest, whether it be intentional or not.
Definitely a hoot. It may not be the most sophisticated thing, but my current favorite thing is when Chris starts imitating upset internet nerds. Shame that had to go away, nyaaaah.

Occasionally you get reminded of how things change, such as when one host is describing being "raped" by the game he's playing. Come to think of it, isn't there an episode where they get contrite about that, and basically say, "We're done using "rape" as a gaming term?"

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

I've probably asked this before, but does anyone have any general boardgame 'cast recommendations? Shut Up and Sit down used to be my go to, but they tend to not post them regularly and also have shows devoted to those "game experience" room escape type things that I will never be able to play. I've got On Board Games and Board Games To Go in my feed, but both are kinda dry and too nerdy for me. Three Moves Ahead is rad, but they generally cover hardcore wargames if they are doing a tabletop episode, and I don't play those.

I really like NPCcast. They're goons and they spend a lot of time talking about RPGs but also board games. It's become a day one listen for me.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Woffle posted:

I really like NPCcast. They're goons and they spend a lot of time talking about RPGs but also board games. It's become a day one listen for me.
Why is your custom title so huge god drat

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Akuma posted:

Why is your custom title so huge god drat

I realize that replying just means it's going to show up again.

It's because it's my favorite quote from I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, which is what my icon is from.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Stan Taylor posted:

You mentioned On Board Games, is there any other shows on that network that you've tired? I like the Dice Tower podcast myself.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Three Moves Ahead is a real oddity in that I'll really enjoy hearing about a grognard wargame I'll never play. They have some really good game design chat sprinkled in.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Woffle posted:

I realize that replying just means it's going to show up again.

It's because it's my favorite quote from I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, which is what my icon is from.
Yeah I got that but it's loving massive, man!

(For the sake of scrolling please do not reply to this post.)

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Stan Taylor posted:

The opposite of you might enjoy the Ludology podcast, which is one of the Dice Tower shows. It is crazy nerdy.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
There is a newer boardgame cast called Cardboard that recently started up. I haven't listened to it yet but I've heard it's okay.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

zapjackson posted:

Zach Barth has been doing a podcast where he interviews other indie game devs. Kevin and I were on the first episode, and the second one (featuring Brendon Chung of Blendo Games) just came out. It's good if you're interested in the dev side of things. I hope he keeps doing them.

The Zachtronics Podcast feed is here: http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheZachtronicsPodcast

This is a good podcast if you want to hear Zack and Kevin talk about how they don't have version control because they don't need it, and then talk about a time where they had trouble because they made a change directly to their production server, and didn't have a way to quickly revert it.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

This is a good podcast if you want to hear Zack and Kevin talk about how they don't have version control because they don't need it, and then talk about a time where they had trouble because they made a change directly to their production server, and didn't have a way to quickly revert it.

Yep! It's such an informative podcast that it grants total Internet strangers 100% familiarity with our present and past workflow and absolute expertise about how we could have avoided every mistake we ever made!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

zapjackson posted:

Yep! It's such an informative podcast that it grants total Internet strangers 100% familiarity with our present and past workflow and absolute expertise about how we could have avoided every mistake we ever made!

Use version control.

e: You can make a private bitbucket repo for free. Just do it.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 9, 2015

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

That was a really funny (cummy?) episode of Bonfireside Chat.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Please Work Out Use Version Control

Rynyin
Feb 10, 2006

H.Y.C.Y.BH?

Re: The latest Abject Suffering

Going from Cumchat to Gary reflecting on his parent's neglectful behavior was some pretty massive tonal whiplash. That said, Cumchat was probably the hardest i've laughed during a podcast and ripping into Jason Pitt was absolutely delightful.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Rynyin posted:

Re: The latest Abject Suffering

Going from Cumchat to Gary reflecting on his parent's neglectful behavior was some pretty massive tonal whiplash. That said, Cumchat was probably the hardest i've laughed during a podcast and ripping into Jason Pitt was absolutely delightful.

And then it went back to hilarious with King Douchebag.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I definitely give this episode of Abject Suffering 5/5 ropes.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Hey everyone, we've done 100 episodes of Watch Out for Fireballs! This special episode is all about Super Metroid, and I hope you enjoy it.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/100

Up next is Katamari Damacy, followed by a split EP episode about Harvest Moon and Sim City (SNES). After that, we've got Demon's Crest.

Some fun facts about WOFF!, while we're in the celebratin' mood:

* In 100 episodes we've covered 89 games.
* We've only ever missed a single week, and that was due to a car accident.
* We've released 254 hours, 40 minutes, and 34 seconds of content, which is over 10 days if you listen to them back to back.
* We've covered more platformer games than any other genre.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Song For The Deaf posted:

Hey everyone, we've done 100 episodes of Watch Out for Fireballs! This special episode is all about Super Metroid, and I hope you enjoy it.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/100

Up next is Katamari Damacy, followed by a split EP episode about Harvest Moon and Sim City (SNES). After that, we've got Demon's Crest.

Some fun facts about WOFF!, while we're in the celebratin' mood:

* In 100 episodes we've covered 89 games.
* We've only ever missed a single week, and that was due to a car accident.
* We've released 254 hours, 40 minutes, and 34 seconds of content, which is over 10 days if you listen to them back to back.
* We've covered more platformer games than any other genre.

I hope this domain parked duckfeed.tv homepage is a 100 episode celebration prank.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Bizarrely, the day our 100th episode came out is also the day that our domain expired. I renewed it, and it's showing up for me. Maybe it's a DNS error?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Whoa, Earthbound in the music showdown finals. Sick.

Hey Gary, this might be relevant to your (lack of) interest: http://kotaku.com/the-spectacular-story-of-metroid-one-of-gamings-riche-1284029577 (basically all of the Metroid lore is from Metroid Prime and Super Metroid is actually one of the last games to take place in the timeline. I don't know)

Phone fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 15, 2015

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Bizarrely, the day our 100th episode came out is also the day that our domain expired. I renewed it, and it's showing up for me. Maybe it's a DNS error?

Yep, it's fixed on my end now.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Phone posted:

Whoa, Earthbound in the music showdown finals. Sick.

Hey Gary, this might be relevant to your (lack of) interest: http://kotaku.com/the-spectacular-story-of-metroid-one-of-gamings-riche-1284029577 (basically all of the Metroid lore is from Metroid Prime and Super Metroid is actually one of the last games to take place in the timeline. I don't know)

It's in the show notes. I am still grumpy. :c00lbutt:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I've been enjoying Teenage Dirtbags a bunch and for some reason was expecting Gary to refer to himself as Gaz during the beginning of the newest WOFF.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Congrats on the 100 episodes. Gary and Kole. I hope you keep the ducks fed another 100 and then some.

Couple of things

Good episode, good game and good choice.

Thanks for the shout out, glad to play my own small part.

Gary, you should watch Birdman. Either you'll like it or hate it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Someone tell me how many times CJ affects a bad american accent for some strained joke in the latest BFSC. This may help me decide whether or not to listen to it.

I love listening to the duckfeed dudes but something about that guy just rubs me the wrong way. I had to skip past a few old episodes for that reason :( It's nothing personal, I'm sure he's great in person or whatever, but he's always a bit... cringey...

On a probably friendlier note, anybody else listened to ENB's podcast? I'm glad he finally started one up, and a patreon. Donating to him reminded me to finally donate to duckfeed, too! The podcast itself could probably do with a second person for another perspective, though; I feel like some of his worries about Witcher 3 sound really overblown and probably won't be a problem at all. Radial menus work pretty well on consoles when they're done right, for example - he seemed to be making them more complicated than they are.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
cool twitter guy Sid Menon/BeamSplashX is startin a podcast about whatever old game he is feeling nostolgic for or something

http://wethoughtaboutgames.tumblr.com/

first episode features me and a few other goons I dragged in with me and the four of us blather about Phantasy Star Online for like 4 hours

I think he will try to get a more structured system going for future episodes

yeah this episode has been up for half a month already, I just found this thread and didn't see anyone else bring it up between then and now

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

If anyone here is curious about how the Watch Out for Fireballs! Soundtrack Showdown shook out, Final Fantasy VI was the winner. There's a full ranked list up at http://duckfeed.tv/soundtrackshowdown

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Pleased to see the One True Game is the victor.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I've been enjoying Teenage Dirtbags a bunch and for some reason was expecting Gary to refer to himself as Gaz during the beginning of the newest WOFF.

I don't know if I've laughed as hard at Teenage Dirtbags as when the latest episode's sponsor came into play. Powerman 5000 makes for a drat good introductory episode to the show.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

If anyone here is curious about how the Watch Out for Fireballs! Soundtrack Showdown shook out, Final Fantasy VI was the winner. There's a full ranked list up at http://duckfeed.tv/soundtrackshowdown

good.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Jet Set Radio didn't win this poll is Objectively Wrong.

I mean those top five games all have pretty good soundtracks but they're not Jet Set fuckin' Radio.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 16, 2015

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

God Hand should have been number one solely on the strength of the end credits :colbert:

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

I don't know if I've laughed as hard at Teenage Dirtbags as when the latest episode's sponsor came into play. Powerman 5000 makes for a drat good introductory episode to the show.

You ain't seen--nothing yet.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Akuma posted:

Someone tell me how many times CJ affects a bad american accent for some strained joke in the latest BFSC. This may help me decide whether or not to listen to it.

I love listening to the duckfeed dudes but something about that guy just rubs me the wrong way. I had to skip past a few old episodes for that reason :( It's nothing personal, I'm sure he's great in person or whatever, but he's always a bit... cringey...

I like CJ, and I don't remember him doing an American accent at all. The whole episode was funny as hell, and you should definitely listen to it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

EC posted:

I like CJ, and I don't remember him doing an American accent at all. The whole episode was funny as hell, and you should definitely listen to it.
Well I started to but I think I'm going to have to skip this one. I realise this makes me sound weird but his sense of humour is like my anti-humour, just way too many "this is just like..." funny analogies that are all over explained and I found myself using the 30 second skip button constantly. To be fair he hasn't done an american accent this time!

Like I said before I'm sure he's a great dude but I just don't like listening to him. I'd heard of the Twin Humanities podcast but hadn't tried it, now I'm pretty sure it's not for me. I don't know if CJ posts here or anything but if you do it's nothing personal! Other people clearly like you a lot!

Honestly unless it's someone super laid back like LobosJr I find myself usually wishing BFSC a was just Gary and Kole because they have a great rapport that often isn't there with the guests - for obvious reasons. But I realise I'm in the minority on this so I'm not begrudging anybody liking a thing that they like. Ima still keep kicking you monies on Patreon.

Speaking of which, though, is LobosJr back this season? I just finished watching him beat the entire game using nothing but a torch and he is the certified best.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Akuma posted:

Honestly unless it's someone super laid back like LobosJr I find myself usually wishing BFSC a was just Gary and Kole because they have a great rapport that often isn't there with the guests - for obvious reasons. But I realise I'm in the minority on this so I'm not begrudging anybody liking a thing that they like. Ima still keep kicking you monies on Patreon.

As a former guest, I take personal offense to this and will make a tumblr dedicated to taking you down.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Akuma posted:

Speaking of which, though, is LobosJr back this season? I just finished watching him beat the entire game using nothing but a torch and he is the certified best.

Not every podperson is for every podlistener. It's like how I can't handle Merlin Mann, Jesse Thorn or Doug Benson. I like CJ a lot but no offense.

As far as Lobos goes, I want to offer him a regular location rather than a speedrunning episode but I'm not sure where. There are lots of guests we want this season and not as many areas. That said, I have a huuuuuge friend crush on Lobos and want him back as much as you do. He's a prince.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Do Chris/Jake still read this thread or have they moved on from forumposting

• Locked thread