Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Bloody posted:

a yak too far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

triple sulk posted:

for people who have interviewed with amazon, is their interview process as terrible as some make it out to be

i already had a first call with the internal recruiter, and i'm supposed to set up the technical call which will involve using collabedit as i've read about in the past. i'm not expecting to even get past this step at all because i still know basically zilch about data structures/algorithms, but i figure at least it's an experience.

(sadly) a lot of it depends on who you're talking to, what team(s) you're being recruited into, and what you're expected to be doing.

Feel free to PM me about it.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

triple sulk posted:

i'm really looking forward to when it's all working 100% on os x. you can get asp.net running right now but it's definitely still buggy at times.

yeah, it's good for a preview but some parts are still lacking polish. my biggest problem at this point is that the documentation i've found is (understandably) very visual studio focused, and i'm using vs code on osx.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
so i havent really been following the .net stuff. am i able to use c# to write stuff in unix without using mono??

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
visual studio code uses mono for debugging so it's probably still about mono

but i was under the impression that the process of open-sourcing .net meant the mono people could start stealing all the correct implementations of poo poo

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

mono should just be loving gutted and replaced outright. one of the big asp.net bugs right now is specifically due to mono being a piece of poo poo and breaking the kqueue or whatever the gently caress.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

in theory you should be able to gut mono and just copy paste the correct implementation of everything yes

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

so i havent really been following the .net stuff. am i able to use c# to write stuff in unix without using mono??

it's still using mono for at least some things (nuget and aspnet are definitely using it, according to their github docs). not sure what their long-term goal is.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Try watching the pilot of The Flash

Wtf, wrong thread

Valeyard fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 10, 2015

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

as someone who uses xamarin tech right now let me just say it blows and i wish microsoft would just loving buy them out already and make the stuff more tolerable to use. xamarin studio is giant piece of shitgarbage that stops building correctly at random times for no explicable reason and requires you to restart the entire app and clean your project to get it running again. they will occasionally push code to stable that completely breaks certain things, too. the documentation is horrendous in some places and the forums are loving useless half of the time, and tons of reasonable requests for quality of life things to be added get ignored.

one time in a minor point release they just instantly deprecated one of the font size things in the api that completely broke applications which were using it, and the solution people came up with to fix it was throwing an awkward generic method into the app.cs file. there was really no rhyme or reason to this afaik but it was annoying as poo poo. forms is stupid and it would literally be faster and easier to learn both objc/swift and java in order to write your ios/android apps respectively, because at least then you could actually use the ui building tools they give you instead of literally coding your god drat interface out. oh also because of that you have to rebuild your app and go to the specific page you're designing because they half-assed the realtime "sketches" and you can literally only sketch things on a loving iphone 5 now, which is apparently a recent change because before you could only do it on a 4. other devices? nope.

okay i'm done now

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

meanwhile, they refactored some junk at work and sent out an email saying "if your build fails restart eclipse until it works"

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

meanwhile, they refactored some junk at work and sent out an email saying "if your build fails restart eclipse until it works"

look at this idiot not using maven

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Janitor Prime posted:

look at this idiot not using maven

let me tell you about 400mb of .jar files in a git repository

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Luigi Thirty posted:

didnt you just upgrade from like, a retail job to programming a few months ago?? and now you're all posting like a wizened programmer???

great job dude

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
dumbass kroger in effect

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Luigi Thirty posted:

lol owned

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

current status:
  • tons of poo poo is open sourced
  • mono has been improving by leaps and bounds by integrating roslyn code
  • microsoft is also, simultaneously, working on ports of the mainstream .net runtime to linux and osx

so yes you could in theory work with .net on unix without mono, but in reality you would probably be better off with mono until the porting stuff stabilizes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
also visual studio code is kinda garbage

it's sublime text written in javascript

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

also visual studio code is kinda garbage

it's sublime text written in javascript

its based on atom lol

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i tried to use atom once and it seemed really bad.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
will regular visual studio be able to target .net cross-platform? cuz i could see that becoming my new favorite thing

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

DaTroof posted:

will regular visual studio be able to target .net cross-platform? cuz i could see that becoming my new favorite thing

it already does/is.

c# has had all the necessary abstractions for portability for a long time, e.g. Path.PathSeparator. an assembly compiled by vs.net is the same as an assembly compiled by anything else

it's just a matter of having the runtime and libs on your target

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it already does/is.

c# has had all the necessary abstractions for portability for a long time, e.g. Path.PathSeparator. an assembly compiled by vs.net is the same as an assembly compiled by anything else

it's just a matter of having the runtime and libs on your target

ah, makes sense. guess i just never bothered to look/try

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i wish they would hurry up with vs2015.

also fun bug(/feature?) of wpf: if you do mvvm "properly" using datatemplates and poo poo and use a ui library but only in xaml vs will be happy with it and not flag anything up, but the library dll will never be copied. the fix is to put at least one attribute such as Name which causes a codebehind to be generated, or add a do nothing method which uses the library dll.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
lol student code:

code:
#define MAX_EXPERIMENT_DURATION 1000
int arr[1000]; // CHANGE THIS TOO IF MAX_EXPERIMENT_DURATION IS CHANGED (VALUE IS THE SAME AS MAX_EXPERIMENT_DURATION)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gonadic io posted:

lol student code:

code:
int arr[1000]; // CHANGE THIS TOO IF MAX_EXPERIMENT_DURATION IS CHANGED (VALUE IS THE SAME AS MAX_EXPERIMENT_DURATION)

rofl

that owns

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

gonadic io posted:

lol student code:

code:

bless lol

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

gonadic io posted:

lol student code:

code:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

gonadic io posted:

lol student code:

code:

lol

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i think you should give them an a because even though they're missing something important there are good coding practices in there

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i think you should give them an a because even though they're missing something important there are good coding practices in there

the mark scheme is very specific, doesn't account for general coding style and their code performed correctly so they didn't lose any marks for it lol

see i get understand stuff like the intro to programming guy being baffled as to why the computer was printing the contents of the print statements that he wrote or why it did the same thing again when he ran it a second time

this though was a 2nd year

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
despite betraying themselves as being ignorant of the purpose of a #define, they have shown a good faith effort of trying to things the right way. do they use that symbol anywhere else in place of a literal value?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Barnyard Protein posted:

despite betraying themselves as being ignorant of the purpose of a #define, they have shown a good faith effort of trying to things the right way. do they use that symbol anywhere else in place of a literal value?

yeah they do, it looks just like a last-minute-just-done-all-nighter brain fart i didn't hold it against them, just found it funny

the person that submitted screenshots of their excel graphs in lieu of exporting the graph in any way however...

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ugh wtf

the newest ragel mirror i can find is https://github.com/kaostao/ragel

the ragel-6.9.tar.gz that can be downloaded at colm.net is super different, dozens of files are only in one of them or have different names

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

gonadic io posted:

the person that submitted screenshots of their excel graphs in lieu of exporting the graph in any way however...

ive said this before but just last year, in our 3rd year group projects, we had people who either couldnt understand git or more likely didnt want to learn the basics and just emailed round zipped projects to everyone

or they would learn how to use git and then use it to commit just zipped version of the project exported from eclipse

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
or this person whose indentation seems to be done at random, their code is impossible to read

jfc i can only assuming that they were copy/pasting from 3 different people all with different indentation settings

why isn't white-space sensitivity mandatory again??

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

gonadic io posted:

lol student code:

code:

lmao

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

gonadic io posted:

lol student code:

code:

:3: Don't worry, Billy! You'll be an ace programmer yet!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

qntm posted:

:3: Don't worry, Melinda! You'll be an ace programmer yet!
ftfy :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
i don't know that person's gender and i'm not going to look it up. however given that they're an compsci undergrad, i reckon it's pretty safe to guess based on probability...

• Locked thread