Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sunning posted:

Relive the hype! These are the reactions for Square-Enix e3 2006 conference thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1871346

The hype was real.

People excited for FF3 DS. :(

quote:

I have a bad feeling about XIII, for some reason. It's unlucky! :(

Terper fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

quote:

I have a bad feeling about XIII, for some reason. It's unlucky! :(

Thank goodness they relocated the entire company because a fortune teller told them to.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
FF5 is like the Deep Space 9 of Final Fantasy because nobody realized how good it was until years after. It didn't come out for SNES in the states, then we got a crappy PS1 port with torturous load times and a crappy translation devoid of humor, so it wasn't until the GBA port that I really grew to like the game.

I wish we had gotten it instead of Mystic Quest and the Final Fantasy Legend games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

FF5 is like the Deep Space 9 of Final Fantasy because nobody realized how good it was until years after. It didn't come out for SNES in the states, then we got a crappy PS1 port with torturous load times and a crappy translation devoid of humor, so it wasn't until the GBA port that I really grew to like the game.

I wish we had gotten it instead of Mystic Quest and the Final Fantasy Legend games.

I don't think it's really that simple.

It isn't that FFV was "they didn't realize how good it was."

FFV was always popular among a certain section of the fandom. That is the section who really enjoy the mechanical element of the game. The people who just played FFV for the story (i.e: a lot of the people who really liked IV and VI) ended up pretty disappointed because FFV's story is a loose excuse for a heavily mechanical-based game. Square even realized this when they were considering marketing the game. That is why they were going to call it Final Fantasy Xtreme instead of FFIII and push it towards a more hardcore audience.

The thing that helped make it a bit more generally popular (at least in the west) was the GBA translation. It was fairly liberal and goofy and jokey and that helps get past the extremely dry writing the original FFV has (Gilgamesh aside.). It wasn't that the translation was crappy at conveying the story (though it was pretty bad in general YBURNS) but that the original script is pretty bad. The GBA translation spices it up a lot.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 9, 2015

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

It didn't come out for SNES in the states, then we got a crappy PS1 port with torturous load times and a crappy translation devoid of humor

Well, at least there was the RPGe fan translation of the Snes version in 1998, starring Butz. It was obviously a much better way to play the game at that time.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Speaking of 90s fansubs, did Sword of Mana 3 make it over here in any form?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Speaking of 90s fansubs, did Sword of Mana 3 make it over here in any form?

Nope. The only English version of Seiken Densetsu 3 is the 2000 fan translation.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Guys, I like terrible video games:

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think it's really that simple.

FFV was always popular among a certain section of the fandom.

Didn't know that. You learn something new all the time.

In fact, I think that's why I hated it at first. But then I fell in love with the great mechanics and goofy dialogue of the gba port.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gammatron 64 posted:

In fact, I think that's why I hated it at first. But then I fell in love with the great mechanics and goofy dialogue of the gba port.

I always thought it was poorly received in America because the PSX port was pretty terrible.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

Wow I knew America got rubbish boxart for games sometimes but a couple of those are like, holy poo poo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gammatron 64 posted:

Why do you have FF XI on PC, PS2 and 360?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sakurazuka posted:

He just said he likes terrible games, jeez.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Gammatron 64 posted:

What the gently caress

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

you're missing the full Lightning collection

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Greatest Hits? Disgraceful. Get back to us once you've spent a fortune on eBay for the first editions.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I initially got it for PC. I then got it for 360 so I could play on my couch.

Today I stumbled upon the HDD + expansions for PS2 for $24 and thought "aw, what the hell" and grabbed it, because I figured nobody else would. I'm not even subbed and don't have a modem, I just figured it would like nice on my shelf, lol.

Edit: I've also bought FF4, 5 and 6 3 times each, as well as FF10 \ X-2 and 14 twice. I've thought of getting 7/8 and 3/4 for steam. I have problems.

Kyrosiris posted:

He just said he likes terrible games, jeez.

I'll fight you.

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

you're missing the full Lightning collection

I was tempted to pick up XIII-2 for $8 today even though I haven't beaten the first.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 10, 2015

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

Greatest Hits? Disgraceful. Get back to us once you've spent a fortune on eBay for the first editions.

This + take the price stickers off your games before you trigger someone

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Guys... I have something to say. Something shocking. An opinion so controversial, so outrageous, it may break this thread.

...most Final Fantasy games are pretty good.

4-10 are all really enjoyable games, so is 12, and both MMOs were pretty bad at first but they fixed them in post. 15 looks like it will be fun. Even X-2 is fine.

I didn't like 13 at first, but I might actually enjoy it, given a second chance with different expectations, as that sometimes happens with me.

I know. I'm being positive in the FF thread. I must be doing this wrong.

Help Im Alive posted:

This + take the price stickers off your games before you trigger someone

Nope, I feed on nerd tears.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I disagree and think it is a mostly lacklustre series that has recently taken a turn for the terrible with a few games that are masterful and reign over most all other video game, but I am glad you have a good time playing them. Sephiroth's sword is so sharp it could probably cut throughjust about anything, even wood.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't think any FF is bad. I think they're all good in their own ways.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Outside of the MMOs of course

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Guys... I have something to say. Something shocking. An opinion so controversial, so outrageous, it may break this thread.

...most Final Fantasy games are pretty good.

Bullshit. *buys five more versions of FF4*

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Final Fantasy 2 is a legitimately bad game and Final Fantasy 13 is incredibly unremarkable. Every other singleplayer game in the main series (and a bunch that aren't like X-2 and Lightning Returns) is at worst a better-than-average JRPG. On balance, this is better than almost any other game series.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

FF games are pretty good, FF films are pretty bad. Are there any FF books? (besides French literary masterpiece FFX-2.5, of course)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i don't think final fantasy is particularly note-worthy as a rule, but if you do hey that's cool.

9 is good, Steiner is my friend

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I think spirits within might have been actually good. IDK I need to rewatch it

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Final Fantasy 2 is a legitimately bad game and Final Fantasy 13 is incredibly unremarkable. Every other singleplayer game in the main series (and a bunch that aren't like X-2 and Lightning Returns) is at worst a better-than-average JRPG. On balance, this is better than almost any other game series.

Agreed. I dislike FF2 and 3, and stopped FF13 at the Cid boss fight. (I know, I stopped right before the 22 hour tutorial ended.)

Even on the GBA version for babies, I hated FF2 but for some reason I just soldiered through the whole thing and beat it. I guess I didn't have anything better to do.

Mega64 posted:

Bullshit. *buys five more versions of FF4*

THERE'S SO MANY VERSIONS OF FF4 MAN. SO MANY.

SNES Hard Type, SNES Easy Type, US FFII, PS1 FF Chronicles, GBA, PSP, iOS, Steam... am I leaving any out here?

I suppose it's a good thing that I'm not too crazy for the DS version and that's the one they seem to keep releasing now or else I'd have even more copies of that drat game, good God. Am I wrong in saying that the DS versions of 3 and 4 are less good than the originals?

Tempo 119 posted:

FF games are pretty good, FF films are pretty bad. Are there any FF books? (besides French literary masterpiece FFX-2.5, of course)

Yeah, although to be fair, the only ones are Spirits Within and Advent Children. There's also that FF5 OVA. And Final Fantasy Unlimited.

Like I ask myself why isn't there a FF anime or something and then I remember all of the above was pretty bad.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Tempo 119 posted:

Pretty sure there's official novelizations of a few games. I know 2 and 4 have them off the top of my head, probably some more as well.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

Am I wrong in saying that the DS versions of 3 and 4 are less good than the originals?

Most everyone in this thread agrees 3DS is much worse than the original. 4 is more mixed since it ups the challenge and makes some nice gameplay tweaks. I still prefer the original (or rather the PSP remake of the original), but that's probably 80% nostalgia.

e: Bah, didn't mean to double-post.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Resisting the urge to put together all of my box copies of various FF games...

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I know. I'm being positive in the FF thread. I must be doing this wrong.

You will learn, Padawan, you will learn.
---

Gammatron 64 posted:

Having an EU bias, I prefer the cleaner look of the game covers compared to the busier look from the ones in the picture. XIII is the only one, as far as I know (aside from the XI expansions) to not follow that format, and it drives me crazy :supaburn: Get off the cover lighntning give me my plain white minimalist background with the Amano logo please!

Tempo 119 posted:

Japanese only novelisations of FF1, 2 (with Amano illustrations, including this one where he doesn't give a gently caress about proportion.) and 3. Oh and several short stories related to 7, and XIII.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

FF2's remake on iOS is better than FF3's remake. :colbert:

FF2 is also responsible for the SaGa series so it gets brownie points for that.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
gently caress it, posting my collection. Everything else is digital.

And yes, that first FFXI box is the Windows beta. Anyone want a 15 year old copy of PlayOnline?

Varance fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 10, 2015

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I don't have any of my boxes anymore except FF2 US, Tactics, and 7, but I don't collect so

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I will post my collection of Lightning paraphernalia tomorrow, the shops are shut now and I'm running low on rose petals.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the only physical FF media i own is all the GBA games, and FFTA2 for the ds

im happy with this

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Might as well post my FF nerd shame:

That's poor little boxless FFV tucked in the upper corner all on its lonesome

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 10, 2015

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

which one of you wants to buy my COLLECTORS EDITION WITH ART BOOK remaster of ffx/-2. I'll start the bidding at $500

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cake Attack posted:

i don't think final fantasy is particularly note-worthy as a rule, but if you do hey that's cool.

9 is good, Steiner is my friend

Hands off, Steiner is my husbando.