Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Maty Mauk is a lot like Johnny Manziel in the NFL except without the injuries that let you pull him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
(Team) was sure awesome to watch when (name) was QB!

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Zifnab posted:

No QB, no WRs, no legit RB and a line that will probably max out at mediocre. Should be a fun offense to watch.

And we lost 6 of our front 7 on defense.

Good lord

Good.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

C2C - 2.0 posted:

(Team) was sure awesome to watch when (name) was QB!

This hasn't been said at Alabama since Joe Namath.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Man I wish we weren't the school everybody enjoyed making fun of

Also fun fact this game occurred during a major depressive state and resulted in me spending three days in a mental facility. Fun times.

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 9, 2015

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Also fun fact this game occurred during a major depressive state and resulted in me spending three days in a mental facility. Fun times.

Also known as the Muschamp Effect.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
In lovely news hoping to get buried on a Friday night, Jameis Winston countersues his accuser for defamation yada yada yada http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/5/8/8435137/jameis-winston-lawsuit-sexual-assault-counterclaim-defamation

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Frinkahedron posted:

In lovely news hoping to get buried on a Friday night, Jameis Winston countersues his accuser for defamation yada yada yada http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/5/8/8435137/jameis-winston-lawsuit-sexual-assault-counterclaim-defamation

Where are the days where he was all "Aw, shucks. I hope I never act like Johnny Football!"?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Go gently caress yourself Jameis.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Spiritus Nox posted:

Go gently caress yourself Jameis.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Although, I will admit this much: When Jameis Winston decides to gently caress a girl, he doesn't go halfway.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Has anybody posted that loophole in the Big 12 tiebreaker thay some redditor figured out?

Basically if you're in a three way tie, winning a game by too many points can cause you to lose the tiebreaker.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Frackie Robinson posted:

Has anybody posted that loophole in the Big 12 tiebreaker thay some redditor figured out?

Basically if you're in a three way tie, winning a game by too many points can cause you to lose the tiebreaker.

Ah the Baylor / TTU exclusion principle eh?

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

D.N. Nation posted:

Alas, it probably won't this year either. Mizzou's schedule:

- 3 OOC patsies before SEC play starts. At least it isn't their customary 6 or whatever. I swear, Mizzou starts SEC play every year in like November, it's crazy.
- @ UK, who sucks.
- South Carolina
- Florida, who sucks.
- Georgia 45, Mizzou 7
- @ Vanderbilt, who sucks.
- Miss. State
- BYU at a neutral site, why not. They'll probably lose by three scores and spend the rest of the year being all Tee hee! We made the SEC look bad! Aren't we the cutest? the way they did with the Indiana (??? !!!) loss last year.
- Tennessee
- @ Arkansas

There it is. Outside of getting drubbed by Georgia, they have one SEC road game of any consequence against the same bunch of halfwits and fumbling jukers (Arkansas) who handed the East to them last season. They play 13 or so conference games at home. Their OOC is equal parts terrible and humiliating once they blow the BYU game. Another trip to Atlanta awaits!

A free tip, America. These are Missouri's best offensive plays:

- Hansbrough runs into the line for a 2-yard gain.
- Mauk is sacked, helmet-to-helmet is called, automatic first down.
- Mauk throws an INT, late hit on the QB is called, automatic first down.
- Mauk fumbles, the other team picks it up, they themselves fumble, Mizzou recovers for a first down.

Ugh. This friggin team. Yeah, Georgia blew it last year. I know. But you shouldn't be happy with that. Georgia was capable of taking a rail gun to its own foot but also had awesome players who did awesome things and played in fun, fun games. Nick Chubb is fun. Mizzou is not fun. They're anti-fun. Don't root for that. Don't be happy with that.

lol you are so mad about Mizzou.

It's okay Georgia will still get picked to win the SEC East and heck maybe this season, they'll be the team that gets to lose in the championship game.

Also for all your bitching about easy schedules: http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/61/year/2012/georgia-bulldogs
The murderers row of non-conference schedules, including FAU and Buffalo and then getting to duck the good SEC West teams.

the mean lunch lady fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 9, 2015

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
In their last six regular seasons, Georgia has played LSU twice and Alabama zero times.

To be fair they have scheduled some decent non-con teams in that period. Ok State, Boise, Clemson twice. (Also BEES but most years that isn't a big deal)

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 9, 2015

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
8 teams :getin:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-to-eight-teams

tl;dr: Sources inside the CFP already pondering it. Once possible scenario is to get rid of conference championships and play the quarterfinals that week. Losers still get bowl games, winners advance.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

Interesting piece hit SBNation today on the pecking order of Big 12 seconaries. http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2015/5/8/8568175/applying-the-rule-of-3-to-the-2015-big-12-best-secondaries-Baylor-Bears-TCU-Horned-Frogs

This guy likes Baylor's secondary the best of all the teams he had as likely to compete for the conference title, which was a bit of a surprise to me. I mean, I feel like our secondary could take a big step forward with a more athletic NB coming in and our corners getting deeper and more seasoned, but I am of course a homer. Didn't realize Ryan Reid had 12 pass breakups last year - he was something of a punching bag for Baylor fans since he gave up more big plays than Xavien Howard did for most of the season, but he also made some really nice plays and 12 PBUs is a pretty sexy stat for a sophomore. Hope he can build on that.

Never trust a baylor defense, well never win anything of importance, go baylor three champs in a row gently caress wvu this year and gently caress tcu just to keep them mad after that well lose every game forever and win the third straight big xii champ with a tiebreaker like what shouldve happened last year until tcu cried all season about it with their fat coach and got a pity trophy and a pity game against a cupcake sec team

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

JRizzle posted:

lol you are so mad about Mizzou.

It's okay Georgia will still get picked to win the SEC East and heck maybe this season, they'll be the team that gets to lose in the championship game.

I don't really understand how Georgia is the slam dunk pick to win the East right now. The way I see it, that division is wide open/a dumpster fire, and literally anything could happen. If you wanna consider Georgia the favorite based on the strength of their RBs, fine, but all the pundits are acting like no one else has a chance. Florida could end up ahead of schedule, Tennessee could finally put it all together, Missouri could somehow win it again -- even SC could make some noise with the skill players they have, as long as their QB can effectively deliver the ball to them. (And Kentucky, while an unlikely threat to actually win, could still throw a wrench into things.) If Georgia is really in the Everett Golson hunt, I don't see that as a sign of confidence. I guess I should be used to it, though, because Georgia will now and forever be the pick to win just about anything.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
And you should just as well be used to them never winning it. So no reason to worry!

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

RumbleFish posted:

I guess I should be used to it, though, because Georgia will now and forever be the pick to win just about anything.

This is what I'm saying

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Wow, I just saw an argument where an SEC fan was talking about how an SEC team only got to a title game because all of the other SEC teams sucked

I never thought I'd see this day. We've come so far from 'come on guys, every SEC team would win any other conference easily'

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Wow, I just saw an argument where an SEC fan was talking about how an SEC team only got to a title game because all of the other SEC teams sucked

I never thought I'd see this day. We've come so far from 'come on guys, every SEC team would win any other conference easily'

it was the sec east

where have you been the last five years

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Qwijib0 posted:

8 teams :getin:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-to-eight-teams

tl;dr: Sources inside the CFP already pondering it. Once possible scenario is to get rid of conference championships and play the quarterfinals that week. Losers still get bowl games, winners advance.

I always felt like the eventual scenario was four major conferences splitting from the NCAA, and the four conference championships essentially becoming quarterfinals. It's too logical of an idea, and the only major stumbling block is two weaker conferences (Big 12 and ACC) creating a block of five. If those two conferences merged and partially split apart, that'd create the 4th quarterfinal championship matchup.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
The matchups last season under that would've been:

1. Alabama vs 8. Michigan State
2. Oregon vs 7. Arizona
3. TCU vs 6. Baylor
4. Florida State vs 5. Ohio State

You could rearrange things so that the conferences with two teams all play each other, so you have de facto championship games anyway.

This includes Arizona in the playoffs so I'm on board. I do worry about years like 2012, where there were 4 SEC teams in the top 8, which is hard to swallow. 2010 would have had the following sweet-as-gently caress matchups that sadly mean there's a decent chance we miss the incredible Chip Kelly/Gus Malzahn coaching matchup (yeah I know Gus wasn't HC but gently caress it, we know who the brains were)

1. Auburn vs 8. Michigan State
2. Oregon vs 7. Arkansas
3. TCU vs 6. Ohio State
4. Stanford vs 5. Wisconsin

And the chaotic paradise that was 2007 (I'm just using the week 14 results, so WVU hadn't yet lost to Pitt :laugh:).

1. Missouri vs 8. USC
2. West Virginia vs 7. LSU
3. Ohio State vs 6. Virginia Tech
4. Georgia vs 5. Kansas

Let's be honest, 2007 would've been the best year for an 8-team playoff.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 10, 2015

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

And the chaotic paradise that was 2007 (I'm just using the week 14 results, so WVU hadn't yet lost to Pitt :laugh:).

1. Missouri vs 8. USC
4. Georgia vs 5. Kansas

:captainpop:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

2007 was a magical year.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

1. Missouri vs 8. USC
4. Georgia vs 5. Kansas

gently caress Matt Ryan

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Kansas went 12-1 that year. Their only loss was to Missouri.

Who, I will remind you, was ranked #1 before the Big 12 Championship game.

Mark Mangino is a dark wizard, and also an unrepentant douchebag. He's such a douchebag he still hasn't found another HC job.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Crotch Bat posted:

Here's Rutgers being terrible to their most successful and oldest(150+ years) program. I like how they essentially invented a number to tell these kids and alumni to gently caress off and stop bothering them.

http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/05/rutgers_betraying_tradition_of_its_oldest_sport_by.html

Because the Crew people are full of poo poo, Rutgers loses a ton of money on sports because they don't have the full Big Ten share yet, but have more sports than other teams in the conference including Ohio STate.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
i remember kansas having that 1 great year but still seeing it actually happen and not my imagination is still shocking

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kansas went 12-1 that year. Their only loss was to Missouri.

Mark Mangino is a dark wizard, and also an unrepentant douchebag. He's such a douchebag he still hasn't found another HC job.

One of those times when I wonder if I should explain how that happened or just be happy with what happened after that.

I'll just say they were obviously frauds and that I am very happy with where the program has gone since then.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Also, South Florida started and ended the season unranked but at one point was ranked #2.

Do you think the magic of 2007 will happen again in 2017? I didn't follow college football back then and I'm so sad I missed it. :(

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Grittybeard posted:

One of those times when I wonder if I should explain how that happened or just be happy with what happened after that.

I'll just say they were obviously frauds and that I am very happy with where the program has gone since then.
Their schedule missed Texas, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma, and the team with the best record on the schedule that wasn't Missouri was 8-6 Central Michigan. So sayeth Wikipedia.

This does not at all detract from the magic that is a 12-1 Kansas football team.

Pakled posted:

Also, South Florida started and ended the season unranked but at one point was ranked #2.

Do you think the magic of 2007 will happen again in 2017? I didn't follow college football back then and I'm so sad I missed it. :(
We were a few upsets away from a TCU/GT/Arizona/Baylor playoff last year.

Of course everything went chalk, but 2007 ended up with one of the preseason favorites winning too.

EDIT: Holy gently caress Kansas didn't even leave the state until October 20.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Kim Jong Il posted:

Because the Crew people are full of poo poo, Rutgers loses a ton of money on sports because they don't have the full Big Ten share yet, but have more sports than other teams in the conference including Ohio STate.

40 million to restart a club sport though? :cmon:

It's just an athletics department being lovely to a sport it doesn't consider important. That's not really unique, non-revenue sports get poo poo on frequently at all schools but at least crew has a history at Rutgers and would seemingly be good if Rutgers could support it at all.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

We were a few upsets away from a TCU/GT/Arizona/Baylor playoff last year.

I feel like every year there's a tantalizing week or two where something like this looks like it might happen and then it goes to poo poo and we end up with Alabama playing LSU in the title game or some other combination of the same 15 or so teams that always play in the title game.

I'm sick of all those motherfuckers. If it's not gonna be Texas, then I want a GT/TCU title game dammit.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Funny, I want GT purged from the face of the earth but to each his own

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Funny, I want GT purged from the face of the earth but to each his own

I just found out my uncle is the worst type of Tech fan: he is from Jersey and transplanted to bum gently caress Georgia, didn't go to college at all, and kept going on about how them dogs just can't grasp the triple option because it is too sophisticated for them. Oh but the previous ten games or whatever don't count though. He really used triple option like 15 times in the same paragraph.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm just surprised we even have fans who aren't either students or alumni.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Pakled posted:

It's the O. Your school is painfully boring(not to be confused with VT football is which is the definition of painfully boring).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Pakled posted:

Honestly, I'm a little surprised that GT students and alumni care.

• Locked thread