Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

precision posted:

QI is also on YouTube, or at least most of it.

Each episode is usually uploaded around and hour or two after it airs by a few YouTube channels. If you're a big fan it's worth waiting for the uncut XL episodes to upload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I wonder why BBCA stopped airing it, though.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

corn in the bible posted:

I wonder why BBCA stopped airing it, though.

Dreadfully poor ratings, most likely.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

Dreadfully poor ratings, most likely.

[?] nobody knows

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I finished all 3 seasons of Vikings and now I"m sad. I'm thinking of starting Black Sails but the first 2 episodes are so loving boring and it looks really cheap. I figured a Michael Bay show would have some cash behind it. Vikings spoiled me with how beautiful it looked at times. Everyone film their shows in Ireland. It's worth it.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Mu Zeta posted:

I finished all 3 seasons of Vikings and now I"m sad. I'm thinking of starting Black Sails but the first 2 episodes are so loving boring and it looks really cheap. I figured a Michael Bay show would have some cash behind it. Vikings spoiled me with how beautiful it looked at times. Everyone film their shows in Ireland. It's worth it.

Black Sails is much more of a slow burn the first season, but the second was a lot more active.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

One thing Black Sails isn't, is cheap.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Black Sails is pretty much Boardwalk Empire but with pirates, so if you're watching it expecting it to become some kind of action-packed Michael Bay show you'll probably be disappointed. With that said, the season finales are fantastic with some incredibly satisfying set pieces/battles, and season 2 is a bit more fast paced than season 2 but again, there's a whole lot of "character A talks to character B" scenes so if you don't really like any/most of the characters there probably won't be much there for you.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Is anyone else watching Grace and Frankie on Netflix? I'm about halfway through and I really like this show - it's a comedy/light drama centered around Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin, who have to rebuild their lives when lawyer husbands/firm partners Martin Sheen and Sam Waterston leave them and get gay married to each other. The premise is a bit hokey but unlike something like One Big Happy, the jokes are good and it just feels a lot more true to life and the situations less contrived.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

natalie < sharona

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

VDay posted:

Black Sails is pretty much Boardwalk Empire but with pirates, so if you're watching it expecting it to become some kind of action-packed Michael Bay show you'll probably be disappointed. With that said, the season finales are fantastic with some incredibly satisfying set pieces/battles, and season 2 is a bit more fast paced than season 2 but again, there's a whole lot of "character A talks to character B" scenes so if you don't really like any/most of the characters there probably won't be much there for you.

I like Boardwalk Empire a lot so that sounds promising. I think I'm going to watch Banshee first and go back to Black Sails later. Something about the pirate setting just isn't doing it for me right now.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Banshee owns, but it does look a bit cheap at times (the opening titles looked janky until I got used to them, honestly).

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

natalie < sharona

Yes.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

They did that for like, two weeks and then stopped :shrug:

Sorry, you colonials aren't good enough for QI. :colbert:

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

precision posted:

QI is also on YouTube, or at least most of it.

That's still just stealing though, yeah? You're better off just torrenting it at that point so you're not giving 911gamerdude advertising money from YouTube.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

Season 1 was really plodding and overly political, but season 2 kicked all sorts of rear end.

Is there somewhere I can watch QI if I am not a citizen of that weird backwards country called england

You can very easily tell the beeb that you are in fact a denizen of that dreary shithole of an island with a browser plugin perfectly legally and just watch it on their own website.

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Banshee owns, but it does look a bit cheap at times (the opening titles looked janky until I got used to them, honestly).

The opening titles on that show almost make me give it up every time I see them. Especially the alternating capitalization of the letters.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

IRQ posted:

Season 1 was really plodding and overly political, but season 2 kicked all sorts of rear end.

Season 2 is just as plodding and overly political. You act like it became a completely different show between the first and second seasons but it really only changed very little. You're just retroactively clouding your memory of the first season so you don't feel cognitive dissonance over liking the second.

quote:

You can very easily tell the beeb that you are in fact a denizen of that dreary shithole of an island with a browser plugin perfectly legally and just watch it on their own website.

Sure, if you just define the word legally however it fits your own needs. Your still watching something for free what others have to pay for.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ariza posted:

That's still just stealing though, yeah? You're better off just torrenting it at that point so you're not giving 911gamerdude advertising money from YouTube.

YouTube aren't in the habit of giving revenue unless people actually own everything in the video they're uploading so your theory is bunk

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Bown posted:

YouTube aren't in the habit of giving revenue unless people actually own everything in the video they're uploading so your theory is bunk

So where does the revenue go from the ads they play? If Google just keeps it, then they're making money from people watching the show. You probably should have thought that through a little better before trying to sound smart.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Ariza posted:

So where does the revenue go from the ads they play? If Google just keeps it, then they're making money from people watching the show. You probably should have thought that through a little better before trying to sound smart.

The revenue goes to the people who own the content. When you upload a video featuring content that is not yours, YouTube has content-matching software that can detect it. It then tells you that if the owners let you keep it up, they'll run ads before your video and collect their fair share.

If you have to be a condescending rear end in a top hat, at least be sure you're in a position to be one, ya fuckin' jamoke.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 10, 2015

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

1st AD posted:

Is anyone else watching Grace and Frankie on Netflix? I'm about halfway through and I really like this show - it's a comedy/light drama centered around Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin, who have to rebuild their lives when lawyer husbands/firm partners Martin Sheen and Sam Waterston leave them and get gay married to each other. The premise is a bit hokey but unlike something like One Big Happy, the jokes are good and it just feels a lot more true to life and the situations less contrived.

I'm enjoying it through the first five or so episodes. It's not riotously funny, and I don't feel the need to plow through all the episodes in a row, but I'm enjoying the characters enough that I'll keep going back until I finish the season.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

DivisionPost posted:

The revenue goes to the people who own the content. When you upload a video featuring content that is not yours, YouTube has content-matching software that can detect it. It then tells you that if the owners let you keep it up, they'll run ads before your video and collect their fair share.

If you have to be a condescending rear end in a top hat, at least be sure you're in a position to be one, ya fuckin' jamoke.

It's a pretty great system, and as a bonus you get free entertainment from the people who get really vocal about how unfair it is that they can't make money off of some other people's copyrighted poo poo anymore.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ariza posted:

they dont air ads on channels with copyright issues

if the issue is flagged and ads continue to appear then its because the content owner wants ads and gets the money

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

less laughter posted:

Sure, if you just define the word legally however it fits your own needs. Your still watching something for free what others have to pay for.

Last time I checked BBC wasn't a premium cable channel.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_mMMI0Kc7I

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

precision posted:

Last time I checked BBC wasn't a premium cable channel.

It's paid for directly by and for the British viewing public. With criminal sanctions for watching it without a valid license. His point is entirely correct.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
TV IV Couch Chat: Anti-Piracy Dorks Fellation Station

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bown posted:

TV IV Couch Chat: Anti-Piracy Dorks Fellation Station

Seriously, this is the first time I've seen someone get salty about watching something "for free" on YouTube. And it's a British panel show.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The only salt I'm seeing is coming from people who seem to be touchy about how they watch their stories.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLXQltR7vUQ

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRUSbbQynOdGDHtWaJhW8k07GpVPJ60KJ

A few trailers for upcoming fall shows for NBC. I think the only one missing from the list is Heroes: Reborn.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That Blindspot one stars Jamie Alexander from Thor.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
They should put out a 90 second clip of blue lights flashing from behind closed doors. It's all you really need.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For People Are Talking, I like Meaghan Rath but she seems kind of miscast as a TV mom.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

That Blindspot one stars Jamie Alexander from Thor.

The women who had two lines in everybody's least favorite Marvel movie? Sign me up!

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

The women who had two lines in everybody's least favorite Marvel movie? Sign me up!

She wasn't in Hulk

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Hulk is the best one

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

It's paid for directly by and for the British viewing public. With criminal sanctions for watching it without a valid license. His point is entirely correct.

Yeah but we've been over this, gently caress the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Undateable got a third :siren:all live:siren: season.

!

I wasn't aware Undateable got a second season. I watched an episode or two when it first came on and it wasn't bad I guess? But incredibly dull and generic.

• Locked thread