Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

8ender posted:

I've been asked about this and my response is always that automatics have caught up and surpassed your average manual transmission driver on speed and many other aspects except fun. Manuals are more fun and that's the metric I care about the most.

I can't fix my hair, text my lady, slam my big gulp and shift gears at the same time man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
So have dual clutch autos actually come to the point where you can selectively shift them without the transmission taking your input as a suggestion that it might carry out in the next 20 seconds? Or are we just talking about them beating manuals from a pure acceleration standpoint?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Well how else are you supposed to get to autozone?

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

I like to think of manual transmissions like mechanical watches. A phone does basically all of the jobs of a watch much better, but an expensive watch lets you show off, and the absolute cheapest watch is always going to be cheaper than a phone. As long as you can show off your manual car or as long as it's cheaper than an automatic in some economy thing, manuals will be a thing you can get, and from the sounds of things there are plenty of people that want to show off and enjoy the personal gratification and stimulation that comes with grasping and moving their sticks whenever they pull out their hot rod.

e:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

razorscooter posted:

...there are plenty of people that want to show off and enjoy the personal gratification and stimulation that comes with grasping and moving their sticks whenever they pull out their hot rod.

Miata driver spotted

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Geoj posted:

So have dual clutch autos actually come to the point where you can selectively shift them without the transmission taking your input as a suggestion that it might carry out in the next 20 seconds? Or are we just talking about them beating manuals from a pure acceleration standpoint?

All the dual clutch autos I've driven shift more or less instantly. The first one I ever drove was probably about 10 years ago and I was laughing my rear end off because it was video game quick. And they're all faster in acceleration too because there is no time wasted in shifting.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

razorscooter posted:

I like to think of manual transmissions like mechanical watches. A phone does basically all of the jobs of a watch much better, but an expensive watch lets you show off, and the absolute cheapest watch is always going to be cheaper than a phone. As long as you can show off your manual car or as long as it's cheaper than an automatic in some economy thing, manuals will be a thing you can get, and from the sounds of things there are plenty of people that want to show off and enjoy the personal gratification and stimulation that comes with grasping and moving their sticks whenever they pull out their hot rod.

e:

Nah. Those people aren't a big enough part of the new car market for it to matter. The new car market is thus:

- Thrill of the drive dickheads who obsess over split-second differences in nurburgring lap times and tick as many ~~performance~~ boxes as they can afford.
- People who want an appliance; some can afford nicer, more expensive appliances. Everyone else, in other words.

Neither of these people give a poo poo about manuals, and factors like economy, cost, emissions etc are all vastly, vastly, vastly more important than a small percentage of nerds like us who want to have fun. The only place you can expect mass-produced manual vehicles to continue in the next decade are light commercial vehicles.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Then you have dudes like me who will only drive manuals even in econoboxes despite autos being better and faster because we want to choose our own drat gears, bah gawd. :bahgawd:

Also let me tell you about how superior vinyl is... :v:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Last episode they offroaded a lowrider so...

Plus that one fairly low flatty the time they drove out to the desert bar. It too was bagged, though. It would have been a lot more entertaining if it was statically set to its lowest setting.

E: Although IIRC they blew a line or bag or something, so it ended up being that anyway :v:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Slavvy posted:

Nah. Those people aren't a big enough part of the new car market for it to matter. The new car market is thus:

- Thrill of the drive dickheads who obsess over split-second differences in nurburgring lap times and tick as many ~~performance~~ boxes as they can afford.
- People who want an appliance; some can afford nicer, more expensive appliances. Everyone else, in other words.

Neither of these people give a poo poo about manuals, and factors like economy, cost, emissions etc are all vastly, vastly, vastly more important than a small percentage of nerds like us who want to have fun. The only place you can expect mass-produced manual vehicles to continue in the next decade are light commercial vehicles.

Except in Europe where manuals still rule supreme. That might also be related to if you pass your test in an automatic you can only legally drive automatics, and are thus looked down upon and rightly so.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Previa_fun posted:

Also let me tell you about how superior vinyl is... :v:
What even comes with vinyl these days except trucks? I just looked it up and even the Versa comes with cloth seats standard.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Friar Zucchini posted:

What even comes with vinyl these days except trucks? I just looked it up and even the Versa comes with cloth seats standard.

He means versus CDs

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Friar Zucchini posted:

What even comes with vinyl these days except trucks?

A lot of the "leather" on higher trim but cheaper import models might as well be vinyl. Or the ever popular Leather on seating surfaces not side bolsters

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The main advantage I always saw for a manual compared to the same model with an automatic is you get a little more power. It's probably not a giant percentage, but it does make launching at stop lights a little more fun, right?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
The thing I always liked about manual was regulating acceleration not with the throttle, but with gear choice. As in, wanna go fast, let it rev. Wanna be a bit more sedate, change gear earlier. The throttle is off/on unless cruising or in traffic or whatever. I'm a control freak, I guess :v:

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Friar Zucchini posted:

Base model BMWs and MBs have vinyl, they just have special names for it because vinyl is a dirty word when you're paying 35K for a car

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Yeah, I'm not gonna glance over the fact the only people that want manuals are people that want to vigourously move that stick back and forth in front of everyone until they can't anymore, but as stuff like that one Cayman shows, there will be some kind of manual option available if people really will buy them, and some cheap-rear end econobox will have one as a base model somewhere

Personal car, owner is a big B-52s fan

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

:newlol:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Pretty sure thats illegal here.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The fate of every skyline imported to Canada:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm not sure whether I like the towbar or standard ride height more.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Cakefool posted:

I'm not sure whether I like the towbar or standard ride height more.

What's wrong with a towbar?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

BlackMK4 posted:

It's the combination of the stupid sticker and the stupid useless taillights with the fact that it's at stock height and it's got a tow bar. Clearly stanced as gently caress.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

razorscooter posted:

Personal car, owner is a big B-52s fan

I like the B-52s too but it's not something I'd display in public every time I went for a drive. If I saw that pic out of of context I would have thought it to be a promotional car for The Wiggles.

I saw an amazing window sticker yesterday that fit in this but I forgot my phone. I think it's a local car so hopefully next time. It was one of those drat stick families that had the mother and a couple of kids scraped off and some new text added. Can only remember the last part of it though. something something... "because she likes the DIK so much

Dedication In Kids"

I hope I see it again.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Nothing, both my cars have them. I don't pretend either of my cars are stanced though.

Amusingly my keyboard autocorrected stanced as stranded.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

jamal posted:

This is the fate of every skyline that leaves japan trust me.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Cakefool posted:

Nothing, both my cars have them. I don't pretend either of my cars are stanced though.

Amusingly my keyboard autocorrected stanced as stranded.

Even if it was...

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

jamal posted:

Maybe its different out there, but in the maritimes the GTRs are usually in really good shape and relatively rare. But the GTS-T models get passed around like bad STDs.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

It's the hellaflush version of the ricer who installs a primed body kit and "almost has enough saved to get it painted" for three years/donk enthusiast who gets the theme, wheel inch decals and lift installed yet continues to roll around on beat-to-gently caress 15" stock steelies because they can't afford the 28" spinners and /5 profile tires that cost more than the car.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Even if it was...

The worst part of this was he drove it with a clamp holding the trailer together for months before finally welding it together. Idiot put everyone on the road around him at risk of death for a visual gag.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Posted this on the facebook page. poo poo like this is RARE these days and consequently I hate it less... The splitter had a nice set of cracks.

Citroen Saxo

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

90's Max Power style body kits still stupid, who would have known.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Different kind of terrible: police chase a Scat Pack in a high speed chase - end up pulling over an unlucky RT instead.

The chase: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BytRXvvdvwIAS3NiRFlEVTV5eEE/view?pli=1

The car pulled over:

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
I saw this on the way to work this morning. A lifted carvan with non-matching side skirts and no plate? :iiam:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

No comment about the lack of license plate, but that's a wheelchair van. The side skirts disguise machinery for getting a wheelchair in and out.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
That makes sense, I assumed it was some sort of transport van but I didn't see any company decals on the sides like you usually see on those things (private owner I guess). My hope is that it had a temp plate but the back windows is so tinted that there's no way anyone would know.

Still belongs here because it's a Grand Caravan :barf:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Safety Dance posted:

No comment about the lack of license plate, but that's a wheelchair van. The side skirts disguise machinery for getting a wheelchair in and out.

...And if you think the conversions are ugly, you should check out the purpose-built wheelchair vehicles...

It's as if losing the use of your legs also means you had your eyes gouged out with a grapefruit spoon, and no longer have any sense of vehicular taste.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Styling aside it looks like some kind of bulletproof vehicle you'd ferry dignitaries around in, which is kind of cool in its own way.

Probably costs about the same, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

MrYenko posted:

...And if you think the conversions are ugly, you should check out the purpose-built wheelchair vehicles...

It's as if losing the use of your legs also means you had your eyes gouged out with a grapefruit spoon, and no longer have any sense of vehicular taste.

These MV-1s awesome for what they do. Chicago cab companies have a bunch of them, and they're hella roomy. Way bigger than they look, too. A Saudi family donated a few to the Rehabilitative Institute of Chicago, and they're great for paratransit. They start at around $40,000.

Scruff McGruff posted:

Still belongs here because it's a Grand Caravan :barf:

I once saw a lady getting into a Mini from her wheelchair using some sort of sling system that deployed from her roof rack. I thought that was pretty cool, but I think big American minivans are more common paratransit retrofit options.