Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

HiveCommander posted:

Calling it now; Honda's lying to try and help push Raku and Marika together or at least that's what I hope is happening :ohdear:

I hope so. The alternative would be pretty dark and sad, especially for such a lighthearted series. Not that series haven't done turns like that before (School Rumble did towards the end, for example), but still...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I hope so. The alternative would be pretty dark and sad, especially for such a lighthearted series. Not that series haven't done turns like that before (School Rumble did towards the end, for example), but still...

Well after digging through the 4chan archived thread, it looks like someone found the answer:

4chan posted:

I think the chapter actually foreshadows it- Honda's probably referring to Marika's university prospects.

>Starting their third year in the spring
>Marika's health makes cram school a no-go
>"Please Decide" refers to the universities Raku is going to try for
>This will allow Marika to plan her studying for the year more effectively

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

HiveCommander posted:

Well after digging through the 4chan archived thread, it looks like someone found the answer:

Of course I didn't think it was anime cancer but I wasn't sure what it could have been. That sounds like the most likely scenario. That would also explain why Raku's dad was so cool with it. That or he likes messing with Raku which is also an acceptable answer.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
anime chat: Another episode where Marika decisively wins. I like how her chocolate somehow manages to be more ridiculous in the anime.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New chapter!

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Komi's going to turn it around any minute now, right?
...right?

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

If the last two arcs hadn't been the extreme fakeouts that they were, I'd have basically written her off as dead by this point.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Well, if it doesn't turn around, we might soon be reading about a horrible tragedy involving the author and Y-San from the Chiba Prefecture...

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Didn't she have to take a pill or some sort of medicine way back in the first chapters?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dehry posted:

Didn't she have to take a pill or some sort of medicine way back in the first chapters?
Yeah and she was constantly weak throughout her life, with foreshadows towards Marika's terminal illness scattered across some chapters.
The author better have the balls to do this...My interest will be restored.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Grouchio posted:

Yeah and she was constantly weak throughout her life, with foreshadows towards Marika's terminal illness scattered across some chapters.
The author better have the balls to do this...My interest will be restored.

your interest is not worth an innocent anime girl's life. please do not wish death upon marika.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Inflammatory posted:

your interest is not worth an innocent anime girl's life. please do not wish death upon marika.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Inflammatory posted:

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Well, if it doesn't turn around, we might soon be reading about a horrible tragedy involving the author and Y-San from the Chiba Prefecture...

Y-san stood for Yandere-san all along...

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Inflammatory posted:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

I bet it'll come down to her needing a heart transplant or something and Chitoge's connections in the US will finally get her the medical treatment she needs. (Japanese has an unusually lovely health care system for a 1st world country, many rich Japanese fly to the US for organ transplants/other major surgeries)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

If anything I'd wish death on Raku for being denser than Ash loving Ketchum. But that's it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New chapter!

I'm starting to think it's not gonna be a plot fakeout, at least for Marika anyways.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Yeah so just in case you forgot, Marika is actually the best.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

gently caress anime cancer.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

gently caress anime cancer.

This. :cry:

gently caress, I really want the author to just psych us out or a miracle cure to just show up out of nowhere, it would be cheap as hell but I don't care anymore.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I think it's pretty clear only one thing can save Marika

The kiss of a Prince

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I think it's pretty clear only one thing can save Marika

The kiss of a Prince

You may be onto something here.

She did promise to take the centre next time, too

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I'm okay with these developments if it means all of the Marika chapters will be replaced with Haru chapters.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Horizontal Tree posted:

I'm okay with these developments if it means all of the Marika chapters will be replaced with Haru chapters.

Wrong.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Horizontal Tree posted:

You've got stiff competition, but I think you might be the worst ADTRW poster there is.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Horizontal Tree posted:

:yikes:
...and I thought my posts were bad

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
So I decided to read the manga after watching a few episodes of season 2, and I just caught up. 171 chapters in three days. Holy crap that was painful. Just about the hardest thing I have ever tried to push through. A lot of the individual scenes are funny and enjoyable, but the full weight of them one after another makes me secretly hope someone goes yandere and just gets rid of the lot of them.

I went in rooting for Kosaki (mostly because of the faces), but scene after scene of interrupted confessions, the wasted efforts of her entire family to make something happen and now them just flat out going on dates and not realizing they like each other... I cannot stand most of her chapters by this point. The level of nothing that has happened is really almost impressive. Part of me still wants to root for her, and I kind of liked the Christmas chapter they just had with her (okay, yeah its just the faces and Onodera-mom now) but at this point I can fully admit Marika is bestgirl and cheering for Kosaki is just some kind of mental illness on my part.

I think the issue is that, when you're going to stall out a plot for eternity in a harem show like this, all you can do with a couple that already like each-other is make them as dense as possible to keep anything from happening. There is no room for anything to happen without either removing Kosaki as an option, or ending the show.

Maybe I can enjoy things more now that I can deal with it scene by scene. Taken by themselves, a lot of the chapters are pretty funny. (I can't stand Chitoge or Haru though)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

MrAptronym posted:

So I decided to read the manga after watching a few episodes of season 2, and I just caught up. 171 chapters in three days. Holy crap that was painful. Just about the hardest thing I have ever tried to push through. A lot of the individual scenes are funny and enjoyable, but the full weight of them one after another makes me secretly hope someone goes yandere and just gets rid of the lot of them.

I went in rooting for Kosaki (mostly because of the faces), but scene after scene of interrupted confessions, the wasted efforts of her entire family to make something happen and now them just flat out going on dates and not realizing they like each other... I cannot stand most of her chapters by this point. The level of nothing that has happened is really almost impressive. Part of me still wants to root for her, and I kind of liked the Christmas chapter they just had with her (okay, yeah its just the faces and Onodera-mom now) but at this point I can fully admit Marika is bestgirl and cheering for Kosaki is just some kind of mental illness on my part.

I think the issue is that, when you're going to stall out a plot for eternity in a harem show like this, all you can do with a couple that already like each-other is make them as dense as possible to keep anything from happening. There is no room for anything to happen without either removing Kosaki as an option, or ending the show.

Maybe I can enjoy things more now that I can deal with it scene by scene. Taken by themselves, a lot of the chapters are pretty funny. (I can't stand Chitoge or Haru though)

Hi Ruri.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

This is the nicest thing anyone could possibly say to me.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

MrAptronym posted:

171 chapters in three days.

Dear God, man, are you trying to kill yourself?

Any kind of RomCom or Harem like this relies on it being episodic so that you don't get hit with the concentrated turbo-denseness and want to stab the main characters.

Even established stuff that people respect like Oh My Goddess! or Kimi ni Todoke is just *painful* if you blitz it.

I'm trying to think of any "RomCom" thing that could be taken in a concentrated dose. I'm actually drawing a blank.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

buzmeg posted:

Dear God, man, are you trying to kill yourself?

Any kind of RomCom or Harem like this relies on it being episodic so that you don't get hit with the concentrated turbo-denseness and want to stab the main characters.

Even established stuff that people respect like Oh My Goddess! or Kimi ni Todoke is just *painful* if you blitz it.

I'm trying to think of any "RomCom" thing that could be taken in a concentrated dose. I'm actually drawing a blank.

Not sure if many would count it, but I could see Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa/My Monster Secret as a bingeworthy series. Good pacing and actual progression while being a harem series.

e: It's also getting an anime over the summer, however, much like Nisekoi the faces really make this series shine and I would most definitely recommend the manga.

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 30, 2015

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Not sure if many would count it, but I could see Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa/My Monster Secret as a bingeworthy series. Good pacing and actual progression while being a harem series.

e: It's also getting an anime over the summer, however, much like Nisekoi the faces really make this series shine and I would most definitely recommend the manga.

Also, the idiocy is a key part of the plot as opposed to willing suspension of disbelief. The characters are not only “rom-com dense“, they're all a bunch of idiots. Lovable, huggable idiots.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New chapter!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Interesting how they didn't show what Raku's wish was.

Also I can't tell what's going on in those last few panels at all.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I found this a few days ago going through this thread. It is amazing, and after reading all of it (at a bit of a slower pace), I still really enjoy it. The principle is the greatest. As for Nisekoi, well I have been stuck at a computer a lot lately but without too much to consistently do. I decided to pick it up to kill time. At some point I just pressed on out of spite and because I wouldn't ever catch up otherwise.

As for the Anime this week, maybe the first part is funnier if you are familiar with Madoka or other magical girl stuff? I am not, and it didn't do too much for me other than a couple decent gags. I am glad they didn't try and make a full episode out of either that or the work chapter though. 'Work!' was pretty good I think, if only for some good faces, animation tricks and Onodera-mom. It helps knowing that Haru's gimmick is one of the few things that actually changes in the manga. I am glad they didn't draw it out like this forever.

The Manga's new year chapter was pretty decent, if calm. Its sad when even Kosaki admits nothing has happened in the past year. I have no idea what is going on with the sweet wine thing at the end? Just filling space at the end, or are we going to get another 'everyone thinks they are drunk' style chapter? Also Marika's conspicuous absence makes me feel like we are prepping for a larger continuation of her story soon.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

MrAptronym posted:

I found this a few days ago going through this thread. It is amazing, and after reading all of it (at a bit of a slower pace), I still really enjoy it. The principle is the greatest. As for Nisekoi, well I have been stuck at a computer a lot lately but without too much to consistently do. I decided to pick it up to kill time. At some point I just pressed on out of spite and because I wouldn't ever catch up otherwise.

As for the Anime this week, maybe the first part is funnier if you are familiar with Madoka or other magical girl stuff? I am not, and it didn't do too much for me other than a couple decent gags. I am glad they didn't try and make a full episode out of either that or the work chapter though. 'Work!' was pretty good I think, if only for some good faces, animation tricks and Onodera-mom. It helps knowing that Haru's gimmick is one of the few things that actually changes in the manga. I am glad they didn't draw it out like this forever.

The Manga's new year chapter was pretty decent, if calm. Its sad when even Kosaki admits nothing has happened in the past year. I have no idea what is going on with the sweet wine thing at the end? Just filling space at the end, or are we going to get another 'everyone thinks they are drunk' style chapter? Also Marika's conspicuous absence makes me feel like we are prepping for a larger continuation of her story soon.

Everyone's totally getting drunk next chapter.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Anime: Was that an anime original, or did I miss all of those magical kosaki chapters? :confused: I remember one, maybe two chapters. That aside, it was okay. Shuu owns, but we already knew that.

Manga: I want to say "No Marika. :colbert:" and be done with it, but seeing both Kosaki and Chitoge talking about what pretty much can be described as a failed year was pretty :smith:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Anime: Was that an anime original, or did I miss all of those magical kosaki chapters? :confused: I remember one, maybe two chapters. That aside, it was okay. Shuu owns, but we already knew that.
There are 7 chapters out.

• Locked thread