Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's probably worth noting that all of those figures are HUGE compared to Imperial Assault, assuming they're standard WMH 32mm. It's impressive they were able to get it into $100, they're probably the softer plastic from the Unleashed boxed set.

But just the Cephalyx bender, drudges, and monstrosity would cost in the same neighborhood (for the regular figures), so yeah I'll probably be near the front of the line.

God I'm a sucker for dungeoncrawl boardgames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

moths posted:

It's probably worth noting that all of those figures are HUGE compared to Imperial Assault, assuming they're standard WMH 32mm. It's impressive they were able to get it into $100, they're probably the softer plastic from the Unleashed boxed set.

But just the Cephalyx bender, drudges, and monstrosity would cost in the same neighborhood (for the regular figures), so yeah I'll probably be near the front of the line.

God I'm a sucker for dungeoncrawl boardgames.

Me too which is why I really want it despite probably never getting to play and it costing a lot.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
It is rare to find a place that DOESN'T sell PP stuff for 30% off. I would be surprised if you couldn't purchase or even pre-order it for around $70.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah but by extension stuff like Decent 2nd edition goes for $50 instead of $80. I think it's really pricey but I don't think they are extorting on that price unlike the Assassins game.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
The models in the new PP game are really nice as a mix of models. They would fit awesome into any RPG. Even the jacks in it are the beat up Janky kind murdohobo PCs would have. All the figures has that adventure vibe. I really like the mix more then unleashed

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Doctor Borris posted:

The models in the new PP game are really nice as a mix of models. They would fit awesome into any RPG. Even the jacks in it are the beat up Janky kind murdohobo PCs would have. All the figures has that adventure vibe. I really like the mix more then unleashed

Yeah, that Unleashed adventure kit was much more limited. It only had like pig-men and beasts and such. I'd kinda want the adventure kit for the map tile things it has, but the figures wouldn't be quite right for a more urban-themed adventure.

EDIT: Yeah but you get 44 figures for $95. That's like 2 bucks per figure, with a free board game attached.
vvvvvvvvvvv

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 8, 2015

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Doctor Borris posted:

There's just one tiny little problem.
loving RESTIC. :argh:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Elukka posted:

With the sort of big brawny drives they have they'd be going fast enough that orbital mechanics would matter little because you'd be flying above any body's escape velocity basically at all times unless you were on a parking orbit. :spergin:

Yes, realistically 40k ships would say 'gently caress you' to orbital mechanics and power through it with brute force.

This isn't true at all, that's not how orbital mechanics work
:argh::science:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

An Angry Bug posted:

There's just one tiny little problem.
loving RESTIC. :argh:

They call it boardgame plastic - it comes in one piece, or factory assembled if they couldn't cast it in one, they can make it in colours, it's strong and fleible enough to withstand the rigours of boxed storage and 'careless' gameplay. It's what board gamers want, they just will not buy a board game with multipart minis you need to assemble yourself no matter how jewel-like they are, it's too much hassle for people who want to crack the box and go.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

If it's anything like the mantic board game plastic it will be decent

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Oh. I thought they were made of the same material as their WMH models. My mistake.

Still, RESTIC! :argh:

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Restic is trash but starting to go away. New warjacks and the convergence battle engine are big boy plastics on sprue with fantastic quality. Individual models like casters and character beasts are also starting to be mixed resin and metal kits with great casting quality on all the ones I've bought.

Now hopefully warbeasts and units will no longer be restic.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
How about the Gator Battle Engine? When I saw it I felt it looked like a nightmare if it was Restic, but HIPS would be nice.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Gator engine is basically 3 giant chunks of resin that stack onto each other and 3 resin gatorbros. There are random metal bits like a few gator hands.

Also like 8.7 million metal skulls and candles.

No restic.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
What's even the reason for using restic rather than regular resin or regular plastic, from a manufacturing perspective?

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Also, the PP resin is amazing now. The Gatorman battle engine and Zuriel required effectively zero clean up with no mold lines, no bubbles, no warped parts. Super happy about the quality as my Archangel was a pile of hot trash I had to rebuild nearly from the ground up.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

JerryLee posted:

What's even the reason for using restic rather than regular resin or regular plastic, from a manufacturing perspective?

I don't know enough about the details, but my gut feeling is that it was a cost saving measure while they transitioned from pure metals over to plastics. That's pure speculation on my part though.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Restic is PVC, the moulds don't last as long as hard plastic ones but are orders of magnitude cheaper to machine, and unlike resin it lends itself to mass manufacture

Restic, boardgame plastic, Bonesium are all different recipes of PVC

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

S.J. posted:

I don't know enough about the details, but my gut feeling is that it was a cost saving measure while they transitioned from pure metals over to plastics. That's pure speculation on my part though.

Safe guess as every time PP goes metal to restic the kits get a sizeable price drop.

Probably something with the molds and expected value return as restic started to come in as they were growing but still not super big. Quite a bit cheaper than injection molded plastics and I believe they don't get replaced nearly as often as pure resin molds.

Of course I could be way off base and someone there was foolishly convinced the material was not poo poo despite all evidence to the contrary.

Edit: beaten while slowly phone posting from the bathroom.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Restic is a good material under some circumstances, in particular for larger figures in 28mm scale, but only if it has been cast properly, and PP has been guilty of letting QC slide in that area before

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

NTRabbit posted:

Restic is a good material under some circumstances, in particular for larger figures in 28mm scale, but only if it has been cast properly, and PP has been guilty of letting QC slide in that area before

I never had casting problems with PP restic the way I did with GW finecast.

The problem was they picked literally the worst possible place for mold lines.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Well whatever it was my Cyriss battle box had wonky clock men in it

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
WMH, not gonna happen. Thought I'd wish for a 40K version for just a few squads and a mech or two - like someone said, WMH, but without the gamey stuff.

Oh, and someone said they want miniatures that'd make goon uncomfortable, so how about this?

Though he'd be a little less unsettling if he wasn't LotR balding. Who the gently caress decided that elves and ("elves" in case of Mimbari) should be balding?

And look at this piece of (elf)manmeat:

On a semi related note, this Polish stuffmaker clearly doesn't know about fucks or how to give them:

Lol at floppy swords tho.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

NTRabbit posted:

Well whatever it was my Cyriss battle box had wonky clock men in it

I've heard convergence was bad but never seen myself. Menoth and Legion have just been mold line placement issues

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Warpath alpha rules are being released for testing on the 22nd, hold onto your butts :sun:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

NTRabbit posted:

Warpath alpha rules are being released for testing on the 22nd, hold onto your butts :sun:

Get prepared for another bad game

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Exinos posted:

I've heard convergence was bad but never seen myself. Menoth and Legion have just been mold line placement issues

They where a pain in the arse a year or so ago, although they got better when I more CoC heavys a few months ago

(edit)
I'll take a free, alpha bad game over a 25 year old £50-150-for-the-rules Bad game any time

Renfield fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 9, 2015

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
so I was in the local hobby shop and saw that 3 space marine bikers, a key model that costs less then 20pts and is taken in mass, and is 10 loving years old, has risen in price to 50 bucks. And I am not making GBS threads you here my FLGS still has "old" ones for 40 so it's a recent hike. It costs 150$$$ for a 8 man biker gang and a converted commander (see I am throwing GW a bone here) , which is the cost for a Pre boxed TOURNEY READY WARMACHINE ARMY.

What the Christ. GW.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Still like 15 dollars over priced but they are $40.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Marine-Bike-Squad

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

S.J. posted:

Get prepared for another bad game

All games are bad, but some games* are more bad than others.

*mainly GW's games, tho

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

S.J. posted:

Metal: cheap molds (<£100), cheap labour costs but very expensive material. Production runs can be very small since you only need to cover the cost of the mold in order to make a profit, though your figures are expensive because of the material cost. If there's any miscasts (rare) then they can just be thrown back into the molten metal pot and reused.

Resin: very cheap molds (<£50), very expensive labour costs and very expensive material. Resin has to be babysat to ensure no miscasts. With metal you just pour it into the mold and it's cure by the time you put the ladle down. Resin has to be done very carefully and left to cure for an hour. Then casts have to be inspected for any flaws, and if there's a miscast then it's discarded since it can't be reused.

Restic: fairly expensive molds (£1000s), expensive labour costs, very cheap material. Very little chance of miscasts and the material is very cheap, but someone has to break all the pieces off a sprue and bag them up so once you've paid off the cost of the mold then your only real cost is labour.

Hard plastic: extremely expensive molds (£10,000s - £100,000s), no labour costs, very cheap material. Once you've got a hard plastic mold then the machine can just pump out a sprue per second and it's completely automated. Material costs are precisely gently caress all - less than a penny - but the killer is the cost of the mold in the first place. Using traditional green stuff sculpting methods, it can cost you £100,000s since it's machined and a bit trial and error, making sure that all the parts fill properly without any bubbles forming. Alternatively if you use computer modelling instead of greenstuff sculpting, the cost drops to £10,000s since the computer can calculate placement of the parts, make sure that there's no undercuts etc and generally get the sprue correct on its first go.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Also it's not a 100% thing for all types, certain kinds of wheel molds (what you use for doing large runs of metal minis, like say if you're Reaper) can be fitted to work with resin and a shake table allowing you to cast resin in your metal molds. In addition there is some crossover between restic molds and metal molds depending on what you used to make the initial molds. For instance some places doing low production runs make molds out of epoxy that will be able to take both molten white metal and cold resin.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Score Cybernetica

A Thousand Dollars Of Jewel Like Joy

Because as we all know, discerning painters and collectors dream of having 20 identical robots and 10 dudes that come in 950 components.

Score Cybernetica

Are you golden enough daemon to paint them all?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Is it just me, or are three of their four Kastelan bundles literally just ticking up the number of Kastelans?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
those robots look loving terrible still

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

There's only one unit, what else would they do?

Moola posted:

those robots look loving terrible still

They're growing on me but I still wish their visors weren't giant eyes.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I like robots

I LOVE robots

I do NOT like those robots!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

MasterSlowPoke posted:

There's only one unit, what else would they do?

They're growing on me but I still wish their visors weren't giant eyes.

try shopping something like a gundam head on them, see how it goes.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Actually I think you'll find that they are objects of wonder and you should be grateful that GW deigns to permit you plebians to give them money for this kit.

Just kidding, they're bad, even the bad thread hates them.

To be honest I kind of like them... or I would if they were by some tiny podunk garage company, not the company that claims to make the best models in the world, and not at $67 for the kit, all though that's a much better price than I was expecting.

EDIT:Sorry, $69.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ew, they come close to the sweet big daddy astronaut design but missed it. Looks like something from those weird sci-fi tales covers from the 50s. or 70s. whenever tehy were made.

• Locked thread