Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Why do Mardu Dragons players suuuuuuck!? :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Abzan control player with removal let's Mardu player untap w/ a stormbreath dragon (was tapped out). SBD swings for lethal, is hit with removal, Mardu player doesn't respond with monstrous for lethal damage (has the mana), promptly loses game. This puts the Abzan player into the GP top 8.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 10, 2015

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

god damnit, I knew I should have picked up collected company. cards should cost less if I they're going in a bad deck

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

AgentSythe posted:

god damnit, I knew I should have picked up collected company. cards should cost less if I they're going in a bad deck

Its going in a fun/good? Modern deck(s).

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Collect Call Elves :getin:

whatever, the fad will fade and I can pick it up at my leisure

e: I was unclear. I meant if *I* want to play a bad deck with a card the card should cost less

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Yeah I decided I wanted to build Collected Elves on Friday and I almost ordered all the cards yesterday, I didn't think waiting a day or two would mean a Collected Company playset would cost me double. Ugh.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Doesn't Podless Pod play it now too though?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Welp, now I'm glad I decided to grab my playset as a throw-in on another order last week. Though maybe I'll just flip 'em and get more once they go back down.

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
Same, my LGS was running a promo discount on CoCo and I grabbed a playset for laffs this week.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

Abzan control player with removal let's Mardu player untap w/ a stormbreath dragon (was tapped out). SBD swings for lethal, is hit with removal, Mardu player doesn't respond with monstrous for lethal damage (has the mana), promptly loses game. This puts the Abzan player into the GP top 8.

I thought you could only activate Monstrous at sorcery speed?

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

GoutPatrol posted:

FNM can be casual events now. This happens at my LGS because it can never get 8 people there for standard.

True, but my store schedules them as competitive because we usually don't have a problem firing them. When we don't get enough though WotC shows off their software prowess once again with the event reporter, which requires you to create a whole new event instead of just being able to change the event to casual.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Nope. That's what made the play possible when CVM monstrous's his Stormbreath in combat (with a Rakdos' Return in hand) and then opponent goes Dictate of the Twin Gods, untap, Sparktrooper, kill you?

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

C-Euro posted:

I thought you could only activate Monstrous at sorcery speed?

All activated abilities are instant speed unless the ability itself (or some other effect) says otherwise. E.G.: whip of Erebos

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Wonder when/if WOTC will shorthand "any time you could play a sorcery".

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Oh wow Collected Company's 15 dollars now

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

This was like the most obvious speculation card in the set, at least.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

*frantically searches my bulk rare collection*

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sotar posted:

*frantically searches my bulk rare collection*

That card never dipped below $4 so you have a weird definition of bulk

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

ShaneB posted:

That card never dipped below $4 so you have a weird definition of bulk

Well more accurately it was in my "draft decks I never bothered to take apart"

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

There's no way Collected Company stays this high right? What even caused this? Either way I'm glad I finished my Russian playset yesterday.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

suicidesteve posted:

There's no way Collected Company stays this high right? What even caused this? Either way I'm glad I finished my Russian playset yesterday.
It's getting either first or second at GP Paris.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

Combination of that awesome/hilarious 4 color CoCo deck doing really well (top 16), another GW Company deck in the top 16, and the GW Company deck in the finals, I wager. Along with people like me hearing "it's modern playable" and $5 being a really reasonable buy-in price (as of yesterday).

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 10, 2015

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
This is turning out to be an awesome set. Mardu Dragons, CoCo being a ~thing~, and Den Protector skyrocketing out of nowhere, all within a few weeks of Esper taking over. This is great.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Nice 4 mana Llanowar Elves.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Mr. Jive posted:

This is turning out to be an awesome set. Mardu Dragons, CoCo being a ~thing~, and Den Protector skyrocketing out of nowhere, all within a few weeks of Esper taking over. This is great.

I'm still a fairly new player, but if DTK has taught me one thing it's to never listen to financial "experts" when it comes to analyzing a set.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ShaneB posted:

I'm still a fairly new player, but if DTK has taught me one thing it's to never listen to financial "experts" when it comes to analyzing a set.

But this set is full of unplayable cards. The only card that will see constructed play is Narset.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ShaneB posted:

Of course not. Just like bigger real world markets, those "experts" have a reason to deflect actual knowledge and to bait bad ones for their own interests. Lol at anyone who actually takes the SCG guy's info when he works for a parent company. Listen to the guy at the store that can draft well (deckbuilding component, etc.) when he says certain cards look interesting and weird.

I've always used the lunch rule when it comes to getting cards every now and then: dabble with cards that are much less than the cost of lunch and that you'd lose a lunch's worth at most for. It's like trading with penny stocks and the explosive 200+% growths are the most exciting. Of course this depends on your goals. I'm just looking for hobby money and selling a textbook's worth every now and then is also cool. More easily traded stocks are for bigger financial goals, for me.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 10, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Except is is actually $9?

Sure, that's still a 100% increase from 3 days ago, but it hasn't jumped that much (yet).

Edit:
I don't know. It is a good card, but (like everything), its usefulness is dictated by the targets it can grab. Unless we get something that is as good as Fleecemane Lion in Origins or BfZ, I don't see it being a mainstay.

The Den Protector/Deathmist Raptor core is going to be like Courser/Caryatid. It'll be in basically every green deck until a new baseline is established (and it'll be worse because one of them is mythic. Raptor isn't going to drop below $20 as long as every top 8 deck continues to be G/x/x.)

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 10, 2015

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Wow LSV is playing brilliantly right now. He drafted a crazy UB exploit deck and just destroyed his opponent game 1. He's still got a shot at top 8, too.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

ShadeofBlue posted:

Wow LSV is playing brilliantly right now. He drafted a crazy UB exploit deck and just destroyed his opponent game 1. He's still got a shot at top 8, too.

I love nothing more than to see LSV playing out of his mind. I want to see him have some PT success again soon.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

jassi007 posted:

I love nothing more than to see LSV playing out of his mind. I want to see him have some PT success again soon.

It helps that he drafted a completely insane deck

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

jassi007 posted:

I know right? I can't remember when I last saw him on camera, but I don't think I've seen him play this fast and confidently in a very long time.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Does anyone know where I can get the list of that green white collected company deck in the finals?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gppar15/top-8-decklists-2015-05-10

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Collected Company with only 24 creatures? He must have gotten REALLY lucky.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

ShadeofBlue posted:

I know right? I can't remember when I last saw him on camera, but I don't think I've seen him play this fast and confidently in a very long time.

The thing about LSV that gets me is that he's always on, but he can still turn it up like this. If you watch him stream, he's paying basically zero attention, joking around and talking with people, and still 3-0ing drafts with ridiculous builds. He's really a consummate great.

mcmagic posted:

Collected Company with only 24 creatures? He must have gotten REALLY lucky.

2/5 of his deck is creatures, and they all cost 3 CMC or less. On average, he'll reveal 2.4 creatures to Collected Company, and it would be rare for it to not at least replace itself.

Niton fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 10, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Niton posted:

The thing about LSV that gets me is that he's always on, but he can still turn it up like this. If you watch him stream, he's paying basically zero attention, joking around and talking with people, and still 3-0ing drafts with ridiculous builds. He's really a consummate great.

2/5 of his deck is creatures, and they all cost 3 CMC or less. On average, he'll reveal 2.4 creatures to Collected Company, and it would be rare for it to not at least replace itself.

There is no way I would run less than 30 creatures in a CC deck in any format, you can't afford not to hit twice on it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

I...really like that mono-red list. :aaa:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

There is no way I would run less than 30 creatures in a CC deck in any format, you can't afford not to hit twice on it.

I don't know, the deck got second overall. It's apparently doing something right with the percentages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Niton posted:

I am an LSV fanboy because he is a rare mixture. Beyond skilled at the game, "normal" relatable, well spoken. While Maro is basically rainman for magic, LSV is one of the ideal spokesman. I just wish he could both commentate and play like he does on his MODO videos when he plays for real.

• Locked thread