Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

SouthsideSaint posted:

So your room mate Is awesome. And was he wearing shoes in the shop? In every other picture you can tell he isn't and it sets up the redneck perfectly.

That is me (roommate's clothes and idea though) and no I was not wearing shoes at any point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm on cuban internet so the applet doesn't work but if somebody could rate this thread a 5 for me that would be great

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Adiabatic posted:

That is me (roommate's clothes and idea though) and no I was not wearing shoes at any point.

Awesome. I suck at reading and you probably said it was you in the pics. Either way the south is awesome and most "redneck" people are awesome crazy dudes.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
ahahaha thats loving amazing. 5'd.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I just 5'd the poo poo out of the thread. Awesome.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
hahahahahaha that's fantastic, 5. If your yard makes you a redneck than mine would probably make me a full blown cousin fucker to them...cars and parts everywhere.

Adiabatic posted:

Just saw this... Next weekend?

I've got to work all next weekend because it's graduation at the college, sooo I guess weekend after next? :haw: This is starting to get comical.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Your roommate is awesome, my brother had to see what I was laughing like an idiot at. A little redneck paradise right in town.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Terrible Robot posted:

I've got to work all next weekend because it's graduation at the college, sooo I guess weekend after next? :haw: This is starting to get comical.

Weekend after next is EDC. Weekend after weekend after next?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Adiabatic posted:

The BMW is still in its normal space. Hasn't moved much aside from that time we pushed it out of the garage:

I can hear the banjos from here. :allears:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
just cracked my first Sunday beer standing next to the garage computer to read that. Fuckin 5'd

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Adiabatic posted:

Weekend after next is EDC. Weekend after weekend after next?

lol that should be fine, I'll have to double check though, it might be the weekend one of my buddies has his annual party/camp-out/hippy fest out in Nelson (for those not from VA, Nelson is a rural county filled with rednecks and hippies that somehow manage to co-exist peacefully). You're welcome to come out for that if you want, it's usually a good excuse to get drunk and watch hippies do hippy things while listening to live music.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 10, 2015

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Adiabatic posted:

Thread's awesome, you're awesome.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That is the best project thread update I think I've ever seen.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I need to be a redneck.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Thread loving delivers.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
In my tenure at these vehicular irrationality interwebs, I have yet to vote a thread gold. You sir, have just earned that vote.

loving LOL.

MrsAdiabatic
Feb 26, 2015

Gotta get up to get Down's

Adiabatic posted:

roommate's clothes and idea though

God damnit those are my clothes. In my defense, the sleeveless shirt is from a lesbian, the hat is sideways, and the pants fill me with shame.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Gotta dress up to dress Down's

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Okay guys we're getting off track here. This thread is supposed to be about SUBARUS and you guys are messing it up with all this redneck talk.

I felt like we needed some SUBARU content so here's an 05 STI (Limited? It has the WRX rear wing) that needed its access plate re-sealed and was puking oil all over my garage:

Intercooler off, taking out all those electrical tidbits that you don't have to worry about with carbeuretors, like the good Lord intended:

Axles needed to come out, so of course the lower ball joints had to come off :psyduck:

Underbody shot with the axles out. Look at all that oil he's been leaking:

This also needed to come out:

Underbody shot again:

Clutch and flywheel off:

Access plate off:

Impromptu STI swap meet:

He forgot to bring his clutch alignment tool :downsgun: so here's me trying to align the clutch disk with my thumb and an iPhone:

Going back up (you can tell I'm running out of patience by the slowly degrading quality of photos):

Dumb throwout bearing / clutch fork nonsense:

Mostly there:

Happy car frolicking in the pasture:

Payment:

Beer fridge (plus two more 12 packs of IPAs in the kitchen fridge because I have no more room in this one)

BONUS CONTENT!

Here's a flattering photo of your resident redneck:

He took my picture and posted it to the Subaru group, with the caption "This probably isn't the first time he's straddled a tranny" :v:

All in all, a decent Sunday.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Nice work. Hopefully the leaking is gone. I haven't seen them leak bad. When I tore my car apart twice it was actually the oil pan.

:spergin: Also, the STi limited came with a small flush spoiler on the trunk, not a wrx wing. In addition to that the were only made in 07, not 05 like that car is. That is just an STi that has had the trunk swapped. :spergin:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Oh word. I don't know anything about Subarus I just pull them apart, so thanks for the insight.

I did comment to him that the oil pan looked like it was also leaking. I told him if it's still leaking after this he needs to do the oil pan for sure.

Most of the oil was skewed towards the passenger side inside the bellhousing and on the subframe, and we found a tear in the RTV on the access panel, so it was definitely at least partly coming from there (thank god...)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Also it's way easier to pull an axle by detaching the swaybar endlink than it is to pull a ball joint. But maybe it doesn't rust as badly where you are.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

The thought crossed my mind, but somehow both ball joints gave up after a 5 second hit with the air hammer. I'll certainly keep that in mind for next time though.

Got stupid lucky with both the ball joints and the lineup of the input shaft. Fucker just slid right in.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Adiabatic posted:

He forgot to bring his clutch alignment tool :downsgun: so here's me trying to align the clutch disk with my thumb and an iPhone:

Clutch Alignment tool:

This image is stolen from google. Mine is made from my least favorite 4" long 1/2" drive extension. You might not need to use a socket. The female end of my 1/2 extension fits almost perfectly into my landrover flywheel without any tape, and the shaft is taped out to fit the clutch.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Doing that from now on. Looks way easier and more reliable than my lucky guess.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I've used deep well sockets with ductape wrapped around em as alignment tools to great success.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
i haven't used a clutch alignment tool in years. just line em up by eye and never had any problem

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Socket with electrical tape works in a pinch on subarus, I actually cut the input shaft off a transmission and use that now instead :haw:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

EDC owns. Raves own. Go to raves.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I've suspended my "beer for car work" agreement with the Subaru people for the time being. Work, this crazy summer class, and a complete and utter neglect of household projects has left me with no time for those bros currently.

So this leaves me at an impasse. I'll still have some cars come around the house, but not nearly at the frequency it's been. I can use this thread for garage/house projects and the occasional bit of car work if y'all are interested in that sort of thing, or close it in hopes that I'll get back into the swing of things before it falls to the archives.

My list so far:

Finish the dumb Comanche heater core why haven't I finished this it will literally take an hour
Finish the dumb garage cabinets why haven't I finished this
Build a drain for the garage entry pad
Finish my chain link fence project behind the garage
Get the front and back yard looking respectable
Rearrange/clean up the garage
Get the BMW idling
Get the BMW's exhaust welded
Get the BMW's interior manageable
Get the BMW out of my life for good
Work on the wood tools and get them operational
Do something about that nasty rear end shed
Fix the megafucked gate to the backyard
Dig, prep, and hire concrete layers for a driveway from the gate to the garage

Slow is Fast posted:

When I tore my car apart twice it was actually the oil pan.

It was actually the oil pan

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 29, 2015

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Adiabatic posted:

I can use this thread for garage/house projects and the occasional bit of car work if y'all are interested in that sort of thing,

Do this.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

I agree. But the images need to include roommate-as-über-redneck crying a single tear like that fake-rear end Iron Eyes Cody as you de-'neck the compound.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Adiabatic posted:

Do something about that nasty rear end shed

nix these, do the rest. :banjo:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Adiabatic posted:

I can use this thread for garage/house projects and the occasional bit of car work if y'all are interested in that sort of thing, or close it in hopes that I'll get back into the swing of things before it falls to the archives.

Now it's starting to sound like what my thread became before it fell to archives :)

I can't speak for everyone, but I enjoy the house projects. Though, I'm also a jerk that posts about them in AI, so... :)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Houses are like really gigantic lovely cars that don't move and randomly empty your wallet like an Italian supercar so it's still a good fit for AI

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

kastein posted:

nix these, do the rest. :banjo:

Seriously this. My front yard is taken care of weekly by Juan but my backyard is a weed fest, and not good weed. Man, gently caress HOAs.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

8ender posted:

Houses are like really gigantic lovely cars that don't move and randomly empty your wallet like an Italian supercar so it's still a good fit for AI

Alrighty, crowd's spoken. I'll probably keep the shed out of laziness, honestly. Thankfully this place has no HOA :banjo:

In other news, your local Virginia hillbilly has been busy today working on some newfangled Chinese car. It's a weird one:

Well there's your problem. Fuel line's busted:

Them hardworkin Chinese folk sure don't make it easy to get to. Had to practically tear apart the entire car to get there:

Replaced the fuel line, then set back installing all the doohickies and poppin the splash guard back on:

These splash guards always have so many dang bolts:

Not much for badging:

Bolt the windshield back on:

And the trim pieces. We're all done up here:

Time to go under and pop the gas tank back in:

Who the hell knows what this blurry thing is. Probably some hybrid bullshit:

Wiring harnesses back in and it's all cosmetic from here:

Add oil:

And we're back running:

She ain't too purdy, but she can cook like hell.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
:lol: You're awesome, this thread is awesome.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Pfft everyone knows Chinese computers run best on rotella.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

Finish the dumb Comanche heater core why haven't I finished this it will literally take an hour
Finish the dumb garage cabinets why haven't I finished this
Build a drain for the garage entry pad
Finish my chain link fence project behind the garage
Rearrange/clean up the garage
Get the BMW idling
Get the BMW's exhaust welded
Get the BMW's interior manageable
Get the BMW out of my life for good
Work on the wood tools and get them operational
Do something about that nasty rear end shed Leaving it
Fix the megafucked gate to the backyard