Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The inFamous games are also good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

madpanda posted:

Looking for a game, preferably offline, that is open world and has a lot of movement powers. I want to super jump and teleport around ala city of heroes/prototype/crackdown.

Infamous Second Son. So much this.

The whole game is just learning new superpowers to run around or teleport or run up walls with. Its good times. :)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

madpanda posted:

Looking for a game, preferably offline, that is open world and has a lot of movement powers. I want to super jump and teleport around ala city of heroes/prototype/crackdown.

It's not the openest of worlds, but Dishonored's teleport/blink mechanic was amazingly fun to play with, and the levels are pretty big/free.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Thanks, should have mentioned that I already have SRIV. I will check out infamous.

Dishonored is cool, but I am looking for the "jump 3 city blocks in a single bound" power level.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

madpanda posted:

Thanks, should have mentioned that I already have SRIV. I will check out infamous.

Dishonored is cool, but I am looking for the "jump 3 city blocks in a single bound" power level.

Give Infamous: First Light a look. It's a side-game to Second Son and set before it so you won't spoil anything of note. Plus it has the best power set from Second Son, with extra powers.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think you'd like some of the Spider-Man games although the only one I've played (and many people say is the best) is Spider-Man 2 on PS2.

And if you liked Prototype, the spiritual successor is Hulk: Ultimate Destruction which is on original Xbox (and it is compatible on 360), PS2, and Gamecube. I wouldn't be surprised if Prototype was originally a Venom/Carnage/symbiote licensed game and they just filed all the serial numbers off to make something original.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

EYE Divine Cybermancy is a clunky weirdass fps that might fit the bill. Once you get cyborg'd up enough poo poo like leaping from rooftop to rooftop while psionically telefragging people with werewolves is a thing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

EYE is not open world at all, it just has big levels. It's very worth looking at, but not exactly for the reasons they wanted.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

mrurth posted:

I'm looking for a multiplayer Ultima Underworld, preferably released no earlier than 2010.

Barony seems like the answer, but it looks like butt.

Underworld Ascendant has coop if it hits $1,150,000 (currently around $880,000).

In more general terms:
  • First person AND/OR 3rd person with WASD movement
  • Real time combat
  • Ideally a persistent world
  • 4 player
  • Explore a mega-dungeon

Demise: Rise of the Ku'Tan is a horribly dated and weird game but it fulfills most of your requirements.

It's first-person, supports many people on persistent world servers you can set up where things like shop stocks are influenced by player actions, it has semi real-time (albeit somewhat hands-off) combat, and the dungeon is downright massive.

It's objectively not a very good game but it has some interesting quirks that draw from MUDs in a way most games don't.

It's early 2000s and definitely shows, though.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I'm looking for MUDs with good writing and interesting settings that emphasize and exploration and making your place in the world. I'm aware that there's a MUD thread, but it doesn't do much to seperate the wheat from the chaff. I'd also take an MMORPG in that vein.

Basically, I adore Fallen London but have gotten bored with it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I want more difficult games in any genre with deliberate pacing and a sense of vulnerability - of yourself and of your enemies: no bullet/sword/arrow sponges. On PC.

What I'm thinking of when I ask this:

all the Souls games
First few hours of Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
System Shock 2
Thief
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Hitman
Deus Ex 1
Severance: Blade of Darkness
Early stages of Mount and Blade
Stalker series

I tried Dishonored recently and just didn't get on with it. I think the ability to teleport around and stuff bugged me. I want a game that presents me with tough choices, frequently.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Maybe Witcher 2?

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Splinter Cell Blacklist is great for what you want.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Deus ex human revolution, although since you mention deus ex 1 you might have already tried it. Enemies die really quickly but so do you, so you usually have to put some thought into what you do.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Subjunctive posted:

Maybe Witcher 2?
Never got on with the combat or the world, sadly. Liked parts of it, though.

Ekster posted:

Splinter Cell Blacklist is great for what you want.
Huh, I'd lumped Blacklist with Hitman: Absolution as a lovely remake. Changing the voice actor still makes me pretty leery of it though. I'll check it out when it's on sale next.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Chas McGill posted:

Huh, I'd lumped Blacklist with Hitman: Absolution as a lovely remake. Changing the voice actor still makes me pretty leery of it though. I'll check it out when it's on sale next.
The common opinion is that its actually second best in the series next to Chaos Theory. Just ignore the cutscenes and plot because they are totally poo poo and character assassinate Sam completely.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I just finished FFX hd and I'm looking for a new silly timesink game to play on a handheld. I'm leaning towards another FF probably 4 or 6 but I'm up for any suggestions. Active time battles aren't ideal because I tend to play during downtime at work and sometimes have to quickly put it down and go do something else.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The Tactics Ogre Remake is probably the best thing that Square Enix has ever been responsible for

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chas McGill posted:

I want more difficult games in any genre with deliberate pacing and a sense of vulnerability - of yourself and of your enemies: no bullet/sword/arrow sponges. On PC.

What I'm thinking of when I ask this:

all the Souls games
First few hours of Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
System Shock 2
Thief
Hitman
Deus Ex 1
Severance: Blade of Darkness
Early stages of Mount and Blade
Stalker series

I tried Dishonored recently and just didn't get on with it. I think the ability to teleport around and stuff bugged me. I want a game that presents me with tough choices, frequently.

It might be a bit far afield compared to the games you mentioned, but have you played ArmA 3? It can be a bit intimidating to get into initially, but the scenarios give you a pretty good sense of what the game is like and there's a ton of custom missions you can download if you don't like the main campaign (the ones I like are the freeform "capture the island" type games, but there are a lot of more structured ones available as well).

Len posted:

I just finished FFX hd and I'm looking for a new silly timesink game to play on a handheld. I'm leaning towards another FF probably 4 or 6 but I'm up for any suggestions. Active time battles aren't ideal because I tend to play during downtime at work and sometimes have to quickly put it down and go do something else.

What handheld systems do you have available? On iOS there's the FFT re-translation War of the Lions (which is itself a port of the PSP version), which is one of the best FF games ever made and easily something you can put a ton of time into. It's also purely turn-based and supports mid-battle quicksaves so it's very easy to just put down at any point if you need to do something.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 5, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It might be a bit far afield compared to the games you mentioned, but have you played ArmA 3? It can be a bit intimidating to get into initially, but the scenarios give you a pretty good sense of what the game is like and there's a ton of custom missions you can download if you don't like the main campaign (the ones I like are the freeform "capture the island" type games, but there are a lot of more structured ones available as well).

What handheld systems do you have available? On iOS there's the FFT re-translation War of the Lions (which is itself a port of the PSP version), which is one of the best FF games ever made and easily something you can put a ton of time into. It's also purely turn-based and supports mid-battle quicksaves so it's very easy to just put down at any point if you need to do something.

PSP, GBA, 3DS, Vita, iOS 6.0 iPod Touch 4g and Android lollipop running on a phone and tablet.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Accordion Man posted:

The common opinion is that its actually second best in the series next to Chaos Theory. Just ignore the cutscenes and plot because they are totally poo poo and character assassinate Sam completely.

Ugh new Sam is so loving bad why WHY.

But the gameplay is fantastic!

But the storytelling is even worse than new Sam...

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

ninjewtsu posted:

The Tactics Ogre Remake is probably the best thing that Square Enix has ever been responsible for

I'll second this and add it's probably one of the 5 best games on the PSP and VITA combined.

If you don't hate SRPGs you owe it to yourself to play that game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Now that Silent Hills is killed dead I've got an itch for some sort of imaginative / madness-themed survival horror. Wasn't a big fan of Outlast, fwiw. Any recs?

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

Now that Silent Hills is killed dead I've got an itch for some sort of imaginative / madness-themed survival horror. Wasn't a big fan of Outlast, fwiw. Any recs?

The first half of Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth fits this pretty well. The second half, however devolves into a shooter.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

Lone Survivor is essentially 2D Silent Hill and it's fantastic.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

Just in case you hadn't heard it before, when the original Team Silent bailed on the IP, they made Siren instead. As a video game I thought it was a little bit sloppy, but the atmosphere is definitely intact.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Chas McGill posted:

Thief
Hitman

Styx: Master of Shadows - it's a stealth game borrowing from every stealth game on your list, you get instakilled by some enemies even on easy, and by all enemies on hardest. If undetected you can one-shot everyone too, although you have some magic you're nowhere near as OP as in Dishonored.

boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004
Slight abuse of the thread's aim - has anyone tried Folk Tale? It's been on my wishlist for a while, and flashed up as on sale this week. Reviews on Steam seem to say it's switched from a story-drive city builder (which sounded fun) to a fairly generic sandbox.

Assuming that that's true, is it worth picking up, or is there something that scratches the city builder itch better? I'm looking for something in the vein of the old Cultures games, where you developed an attachment to the individuals in your settlements.
Settlers was similar enough to work, and is obviously the Goliath of this era.
I enjoyed Craft the World for a bit, but it ended up being incredibly slow and frustrating in the end game.
Startopia was also wonderful, and I played that endlessly.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Ironically I also have a question about a game, has anyone played Subnautica on steam? I am sorely tempted by it but I also don't want to just throw money at an Early Access game. If anyone has any experience with it I would love to hear it.

mrurth
Apr 21, 2005

a medical mystery posted:

Demise: Rise of the Ku'Tan is a horribly dated and weird game but it fulfills most of your requirements.

It's first-person, supports many people on persistent world servers you can set up where things like shop stocks are influenced by player actions, it has semi real-time (albeit somewhat hands-off) combat, and the dungeon is downright massive.

It's objectively not a very good game but it has some interesting quirks that draw from MUDs in a way most games don't.

It's early 2000s and definitely shows, though.

Thanks for this! I'm giving the demo a try!

Demise appears to have a decent amount of depth, and I look forward to trying multiplayer.

I still think it's ugly, but I'm a picky princess.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Are there any action-packed arcadey games in the style of Renegade Ops out there? It's mighty fun, but it crashes constantly when I play online with friends.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Hiya, figured this would be a better thread for this:

pandaK posted:

I really liked Heroes of Might and Magic III, but I've neglected to look at the series past that point since I'd heard bad things about them in varying degrees. But I've been getting pretty burned out over just playing III all the time and want to check out something newer. How do 4-6 rank up in terms of how good they are?

I'd like to add that I tried out King's Bounty and didn't like them because they heavily reduced the amount of roaming around a map and discovering things aspect of the Heroes game, which I really enjoy even more so than the combat gameplay.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

pandaK posted:

Hiya, figured this would be a better thread for this:

I'd like to add that I tried out King's Bounty and didn't like them because they heavily reduced the amount of roaming around a map and discovering things aspect of the Heroes game, which I really enjoy even more so than the combat gameplay.

Get HOMM5 Tribes of the East (should be $10 on Steam). Yes, get the standalone expansion pack and nothing else. Now download this mod which includes the original campaign and first expansion pack plus the sound files if you care about bad voice acting. You now have (what I think) is the second best HOMM game.

Alternately get Age of Wonders 3 which is more 4x Master of Magic style empire building game but there's an exploration aspect and the combat was ripped straight from HOMM.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

al-azad posted:

Get HOMM5 Tribes of the East (should be $10 on Steam). Yes, get the standalone expansion pack and nothing else. Now download this mod which includes the original campaign and first expansion pack plus the sound files if you care about bad voice acting. You now have (what I think) is the second best HOMM game.

Alternately get Age of Wonders 3 which is more 4x Master of Magic style empire building game but there's an exploration aspect and the combat was ripped straight from HOMM.

As of right now you can get like a dozen Might and Magic games on a humble bundle for $15.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Len posted:

As of right now you can get like a dozen Might and Magic games on a humble bundle for $15.

Though a lot of them are only for uPlay (maybe also as standalone DRM free versions too? Idk). I already bought the pack anyways for HoMM II Gold Edition anyways.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Since there's all sorts of VE day sales going on: Any games like Close Combat, but turn-based?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
I now have a computer capable of running PCSX2 decently. What old PS2 games should I look back at that don't have modern digital releases or HD Collections or whatnot?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I now have a computer capable of running PCSX2 decently. What old PS2 games should I look back at that don't have modern digital releases or HD Collections or whatnot?
The Shadow Hearts games and Silent Hills 2 and 3 (The HD Collection is godawful)

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Depends a great deal on your preferred genres, if JRPGs are your thing then there's plenty of those. I second Shadow Hearts, the second game (Covenant) is especially good. Other than that...

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Dragon Quest VIII
God Hand
Odin Sphere
TimeSplitters: Future Perfect (Some prefer 2 but both are great)

That said some games emulate better than others so look around.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

The only PS2 game you will ever need is Warship Gunner 2