Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Some art of END TIMES

Nagash, Skelton Prime. Tried to become a chaos god, didn't quite get there and died. Or did he???

Elves trying to figure out what to do as the world ends

Skaven about to cause a worldwide ruckus

Archaon and his heavy metal chaos boys

Nurgles champs, the glottkin. They'¨re all brothers, can't you tell

The world ending as Chaos flows into the material world

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Tomn posted:

I can't help you, but it is pretty impressive that they went so far as to throw in a Warhammer-themed error message.

It does kinda annoy me somewhat that they missed the r in Sigmar, but oh well. It is a translation from Russian after all.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zzulu posted:

Skaven about to cause a worldwide ruckus

Skaven have gattling arm guns, giant flabby rats, tank-like armored soldiers, jetpack rats and flamethrowers by the end of the story?

Skaven loving own

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i think they took over pretty much everything because there were infinity skaven or something so they just sort of autowon everything, to the point where they didnt bother to describe minor details like the destruction of the entire kingdom of brettonia. i dont know the details but i heard it was like they were gearing up for stuff one book and building up the plot and then the next was like "uh yeah they just all died, nobody cared"

i dont think i can ever truly get over how bad gw writers are at writing about warfare

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mans posted:

Skaven have gattling arm guns, giant flabby rats, tank-like armored soldiers, jetpack rats and flamethrowers by the end of the story?

Skaven loving own

Skaven are basically Ratmen+Castle Wolfenstein.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah the Skaven use green glowing crystals called Warpstone as a fuel source which lets them build all kinds of crazy futuristic tech. Its also hilariously radioactive tainted and works as a powerful mutagen which on Skaven turns them into giant multi-armed monstrosities and on anyone else turns them into a big ball o' cancer. (Sometimes the Skaven end up as a big ball' o cancer too but no-one cares when that happens because there are always more Skaven.)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Zzulu posted:

The world ending as Chaos flows into the material world

I almost want an Exterminatus fleet to appear out of nowhere on the verge of the Chaos victory so that it makes even less sense and the end result is everybody in the entire setting got hosed over by someone who shouldn't even be there. Since the End Times is basically a ten year old Chaos fanboy telling everyone how awesome his favorite guys are, the whole planet getting cracked would be like someone wandering into the room as he's talking and pissing all over his parade.

"Chaos was doing all this badass poo poo, and totally kicking the crap out of everybody, and they can't be beaten because they're the best!"
".. and at the last second the skies open with a withering bombardment and all life ceases on the barren, magma covered rock the world has become. It turns out this medieval backwater was just a shitstain on rear end end of nowhere, and the Imperial Navy finally got around to blowing it up. The end."

Unrelated to all that, I just now saw there's a Mordheim game in early access on Steam. Anybody know if it's any good?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Zaodai posted:

I almost want an Exterminatus fleet to appear out of nowhere on the verge of the Chaos victory so that it makes even less sense

That would make plenty of sense; it's long been theorized that the world of Warhammer Fantasy is a lost world in 40k that has ended up cut off from the rest of the universe by a fold in the Warp or something. I forget if GW ever officially took a stance on the matter.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Mordheim is getting there, will probably be pretty fun once it is feature complete. For now, not really worth spending money on.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Neruz posted:

That would make plenty of sense; it's long been theorized that the world of Warhammer Fantasy is a lost world in 40k that has ended up cut off from the rest of the universe by a fold in the Warp or something. I forget if GW ever officially took a stance on the matter.

Didnt someone a few pages back say the Skaven accidentally contacted the Eldar or something?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Neruz posted:

This is pretty second=hand, but I believe back in the old days the world of Warhammer Fantasy was indeed meant to be some planet in the Eye of Terror, but it eventually grew into its own franchise and the lore was modified to make the two settings independent.

No idea if End Times went back on that because GW isn't good at writing.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Voyager I posted:

This is pretty second=hand, but I believe back in the old days the world of Warhammer Fantasy was indeed meant to be some planet in the Eye of Terror, but it eventually grew into its own franchise and the lore was modified to make the two settings independent.

No idea if End Times went back on that because GW isn't good at writing.

Warhammer Fantasy predates Warhammer 40k

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

my dad posted:

Warhammer Fantasy predates Warhammer 40k

Wait, so Warhammer Fantasy isnt just a backwater world in the 40k universe?? Cause I totally thought thats how they tied it together.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

evilmiera posted:

Didnt someone a few pages back say the Skaven accidentally contacted the Eldar or something?

The skaven find an ancient lizardmen ruin where they locate some mysterious ancient device which reminds them of their own long distance communication technology. They start pressing buttons and accidentally call up alien voices that sound kind of like elves. The skaven freak out and destroy the device :allears:

I choose to believe they accidentally called the Eldar who are chilling in orbit and documenting the end of the warhammer world

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Wait, so Warhammer Fantasy isnt just a backwater world in the 40k universe?? Cause I totally thought thats how they tied it together.

I mean literally, IRL - Warhammer Fantasy was created long before Warhammer 40k. 40k was originally a joke aimed at people who complained Fantasy was not dark enough. So they made a setting where Ork warboss Margaret Thatcher (excuse me, Mag Uruk Thraka, also known as Ghazghkull) is one of the least scary terrors.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

my dad posted:

I mean literally, IRL - Warhammer Fantasy was created long before Warhammer 40k. 40k was originally a joke aimed at people who complained Fantasy was not dark enough. So they made a setting where Ork warboss Margaret Thatcher (excuse me, Mag Uruk Thraka) is one of the least scary terrors.

Early post-40k-launch Fantasy fluff did strongly allude to them being in the same universe, to the point that Warriors of Chaos could get bolters and chainswords, and Sigmar was hinted to be one of the two missing Primarchs, but that was dropped pretty fast.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Mordheim is getting there, will probably be pretty fun once it is feature complete. For now, not really worth spending money on.

Looks like it's got plenty of positive reviews and they're actively pushing features out, so that's nice. Something for me to keep an eye on or impulsively buy when I see it sitting on my wishlist.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Cythereal posted:

Early post-40k-launch Fantasy fluff did strongly allude to them being in the same universe, to the point that Warriors of Chaos could get bolters and chainswords, and Sigmar was hinted to be one of the two missing Primarchs, but that was dropped pretty fast.

Wouldn't bolters wreck absolutely everything in the Fantasy setting? You'd think a round or two would put down even the biggest, baddest poo poo when it's stuff designed to fight unaugmented humans with swords and bows.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zaodai posted:

Wouldn't bolters wreck absolutely everything in the Fantasy setting? You'd think a round or two would put down even the biggest, baddest poo poo when it's stuff designed to fight unaugmented humans with swords and bows.

It was just a magic ranged weapon in game mechanics IIRC, portrayed as a powerful gift from the Chaos gods. This was before 40k got ultra grimdark and over the top.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Cythereal posted:

It was just a magic ranged weapon in game mechanics IIRC, portrayed as a powerful gift from the Chaos gods. This was before 40k got ultra grimdark and over the top.

Warhammer was over the top from the start. It got grimdark when the writers started taking it seriously.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zaodai posted:

Unrelated to all that, I just now saw there's a Mordheim game in early access on Steam. Anybody know if it's any good?

It has lots of promise, but it's difficult to tell as of yet. The basic gameplay and warband customisation are quite solid already, but the actual progression of your warband is not yet implemented. Since that'll be pretty much the core of the experience, it's hard to tell how it'll turn out overall. On the plus side, the developers have pushing out significant early access updates at a steady rate, and it's supposed to be released pretty soon-ish.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Zzulu posted:

The skaven find an ancient lizardmen ruin where they locate some mysterious ancient device which reminds them of their own long distance communication technology. They start pressing buttons and accidentally call up alien voices that sound kind of like elves. The skaven freak out and destroy the device :allears:

I choose to believe they accidentally called the Eldar who are chilling in orbit and documenting the end of the warhammer world

Even better; they called up a completely random Craftworld that isn't even in the same area of space-time and confused the poo poo out of whatever the Eldar equivalent of a radio operator is. :v:

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Cythereal posted:

In one of their fluff books from a few years back, Liber Chaotica, they make it pretty explicit that the two settings are one, as the Warhammer Fantasy guy the book is written from the viewpoint of has several fever dreams about Chaos marines and other 40k crap while he's reading the eponymous text and slowly going crazy/corrupt.

Gatito
Mar 29, 2010
Just to chime in abot the errors on the mod.

I am using steam, so the game launcher was recently updated and really hosed up the M2 mods.

So, that's what I did to use the mod:
Downloaded the mod
Installed the 3 parts(Just make sure it is installed to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war)
^That was important, for steam everything should be in that address.
Dowloaded the patch
Installed the patch
Downloaded the fix
Installed the fix
Went to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war\mods\Rage_of_dark_Gods
Double clic on Executable.bat(The steam client should be running)

Curiously to fix the old Stainless Steel mod I just had to copy the last line from this mods .bat to the SS one.

Not a real fix, just a quick and dirty way to play the mod.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Oh god, they actually put the old Dogs of War Regiments including the fluff into that mad - you can hire them in the campaign and get a short cinematic and blurb for them, I just started a campaign with one of the imperial factions and got a reminder how funny some of the old DoW regiments of fame were. Ricco's Republican Guard are actually a pretty good draw as far as I am concerned and they have the best battlecry in their blurb: Liberty! Equity! Liquidity! This is the best thing. :allears:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Kanos posted:

The Not-Italian city states of Tilea have access to gunpowder stuff and are on roughly the same tech level as the Empire in general minus the crazy experimental things like steam tanks and helblasters and whatnot.

They had some other crazy stuff though.

Yes, mechanical pedal powered.... uh, hangliders.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Dogs of War are the best :allears:

On the topic of Chaos, I never did like the monobloc of "Undivided Chaos". That setting desperately needed guys like Malal and the Gods of Order. Gloranthan Chaos got its flaws too, but at least it feels chaotic rather than "Evil Radioactive Authoritorians with a Skull fetish". Toss in some evil Gods of Order and things could get kinda interesting.

Fluff spergin' aside, played the mod some as WISSENLAND and man, all the scripted spawnings of poo poo does get a little old. So far I've had:
4-5 Beastmen "invasions" in the southwest of the map by my original territory, 2 full stacks each time. Doesn't seem to be tied to any event but more of a yearly occurance.
2 Scripted revivals of Sylvania (and like 4 nonscripted "this faction returns!"). The Dwarves took Drakenhof the first time but I nabbed everything else including Mordheim. Right now the vampires are dead again.
4 Orc invasions + Grimgors 10 stack one. My Elector Count rode out and slapped him silly though so now there's just 5 stacks roaming around.
3 or so Night Goblin invasions spawning here and there, haven't fought them yet.
Worst part is that they spawn during the AI turn and seem to get 2 free moves.

The AI Empire guys seem to have trouble not having their cities revolt, as I keep being able to nab rebel held cities including capitals. Then there's the Orcs and Beastmen popping out of thin air too so... well I hold like half the Empire now and have figured out where the enemy spawns in so I can hold proper garrisons there while ignoring the rest.

All the various Knights and Cannons are great, but the pikemen were the ones to actually kill Grimgor.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Tarquinn posted:

They had some other crazy stuff though.

Yes, mechanical pedal powered.... uh, hangliders.

I always loved these dudes because it's really funny to imagine them frantically flailing their legs as hard as they can and somehow maintaining flight.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I caught a trailer for this on YouTube last week by accident, I had no idea this was even a thing!

If the campaign is half as good as the total war series it should be pretty awesome.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I caught a trailer for this on YouTube last week by accident, I had no idea this was even a thing!

If the campaign is half as good as the total war series it should be pretty awesome.

The trailers for WH40k/WHF games are usually inversely proportional to how good the game is. Luckily I wasn't very impressed by this one, so woooo.

Aside from how flying units will be handled, I don't anticipate this being terrible. I mean, look at how terrible Rome 2 was in the beginning, and look at it now.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The only things I'm worried about are that there won't be enough variation between the different factions and we won't get the other major factions in DLC. I think by this point we can safely say that even if the gameplay is kind of crappy at release CA will probably patch it into being decent eventually.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Neruz posted:

The only things I'm worried about are that there won't be enough variation between the different factions and we won't get the other major factions in DLC. I think by this point we can safely say that even if the gameplay is kind of crappy at release CA will probably patch it into being decent eventually.

Well the other factions are supposed to be add on games. So if the first one isn't complete poo poo, we should eventually get at least 12 races. Someone is going to be that 13th race that loses out, but at least it won't be shovelware DLC of copy pasted units from Rome? (I'm looking at you, Atilla.)

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.
Is it too early to start speculating about future races? If we assume that Chaos is somehow present in tw:w (maybe in lieu of Empire seperatists or some slider), it seems likely the next game in the series will shift westward from the lands of Dwarfs and vampires to perhaps Brettonia and the forests of Loren. Skaven (along with Chaos, if not a full faction in the first game) seems like the obvious 'evil' counter in the now expanded Empire map. Rounding out the third game we might find Ulthuan, Naggaroth, and Lustria (should Lizardmen even show up; like the Tomb Kings, get North of the equator or :frogout::slannout::puckout:).

All of this is baseless speculation of course.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
in unrelated news i learned that the music for warhammer-based l4d-clone Vermintide's soundtrack is going to be composed by Jesper Kyd

its only tangentially related but i feel like sharing since i liked kyd's work in Blood Money

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Well the other factions are supposed to be add on games. So if the first one isn't complete poo poo, we should eventually get at least 12 races. Someone is going to be that 13th race that loses out, but at least it won't be shovelware DLC of copy pasted units from Rome? (I'm looking at you, Atilla.)

Popular demand will result in CA releasing a 13th race, and if there's any justice in this world, it's going to be the Skaven, yes-yes

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

Popular demand will result in CA releasing a 13th race, and if there's any justice in this world, it's going to be the Skaven, yes-yes

As cute as the numerical connection would be, there's absolutely no way that Skaven would take that long to make it in. They're one of the most iconic things that Fantasy has that 40k doesn't(well 40k technically has the Hrud but nobody knows or cares about them and they're not really anything like Skaven besides being rat people) and are almost assuredly a lock once you get your basic meat and potatoes orcs, elves, and humans in.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Kanos posted:

As cute as the numerical connection would be, there's absolutely no way that Skaven would take that long to make it in. They're one of the most iconic things that Fantasy has that 40k doesn't(well 40k technically has the Hrud but nobody knows or cares about them and they're not really anything like Skaven besides being rat people) and are almost assuredly a lock once you get your basic meat and potatoes orcs, elves, and humans in.

About Hrud being space rat people...

I'm pretty sure High Elves and Brettonia are lock ins, they're pretty much human from a technical "program more skeleton models" point of view, and they're popular enough while bringing different battlefield mechanics. High Elf magic and Brettonian knights should be fun.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Huh. Who did I mix them up with? I could have sworn that there were honest to god space rat people, but they were basically a footnote.

e: Ah, that's an updated/reimagined version. Here's the old version from way back in the 3rd Ed rulebook: http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Hrud?file=Hrud4.jpg The old version even has a rat tail.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 15, 2015

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Cythereal posted:

If had the 40k statline as did the lascannon you could get a well. The thing was you couldn't 'choose' to take them. They were two results on a d1000 chart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kanos posted:

Huh. Who did I mix them up with? I could have sworn that there were honest to god space rat people, but they were basically a footnote.

e: Ah, that's an updated/reimagined version. Here's the old version from way back in the 3rd Ed rulebook: http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Hrud?file=Hrud4.jpg The old version even has a rat tail.

Started reading about some of those other minor races and:

quote:

The Tarellians possess a zealous hatred for Mankind above all other peoples in the galaxy because of the Imperium's decision to launch Exterminatus attacks upon the Tarellian homeworlds during the Great Crusade in the 31st Millennium, nearly wiping out their species in a horrific way through the use of virus-bombs. Billions of their kind were slaughtered in the most horrific manner possible and the Tarellian species never fully recovered from this terrible xenocide. The Imperium's actions, which was a standard response to a meeting with another intelligent alien race
That's our Warhammer! :iamafag: *lafftrack plays*

Mordja fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 15, 2015

• Locked thread