Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

One of their recent posts did say they're going on a hiring spree after the success of the game, so hopefully we'll start seeing the fruits of that later this year. I'd prefer they just patch the poo poo out of the existing game but a Skylines 2: Skylines Harder would work just as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Efexeye posted:

Throw down some parks and uniques, bump down residential taxes to get people to move in.

That might be it. I hate how poor I am at the start so I set taxes at 11% or so across the board for mad bux. I actually fixed the moderate traffic problem i was getting by dumping a standard cloverleaf over the starting highway access after giving up loving around with other custom exchanges that werent working, so if taxes aren't the issue then I have no idea.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Locke Dunnegan posted:

That might be it. I hate how poor I am at the start so I set taxes at 11% or so across the board for mad bux. I actually fixed the moderate traffic problem i was getting by dumping a standard cloverleaf over the starting highway access after giving up loving around with other custom exchanges that werent working, so if taxes aren't the issue then I have no idea.

You can set taxes as high as 14%, and it'll take a while before people start complaining about it being too high.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

xzzy posted:

One of their recent posts did say they're going on a hiring spree after the success of the game, so hopefully we'll start seeing the fruits of that later this year. I'd prefer they just patch the poo poo out of the existing game but a Skylines 2: Skylines Harder would work just as good.

I would buy the poo poo out of DLC that extends functionality rather than buying a whole new game. I think that's a good way to avoid SimCity-ing yourself, too.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

ToastyPotato posted:

Noise pollution needs a big nerf. I don't think people should be getting sick from it. I wouldn't mind it causing some unhappiness, but people getting sick from it is kind of OP.

Oh my, that totally explains why the one building near the airport is constantly full of sick people! The takeoff and landing must be too traumatic for them.

(Maybe I should move that whole thing, the big mall is RIGHT at the end of the runway because I was curious if it would work. It turns out that planes just immediately bank and avoid running into it.)

Given the number of trains carrying oil products, surprised none of them explode, either.

Basically Skylines needs more explosions.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Not explosions, but I did recently get some nice-looking nighttime shots when I had five fires going at once:

Using Dynamic Resolution and Moving Sun.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Jet Jaguar posted:

the big mall is RIGHT at the end of the runway because I was curious if it would work. It turns out that planes just immediately bank and avoid running into it.

Requesting gif/vid of this

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Inspector_666 posted:

I would buy the poo poo out of DLC that extends functionality rather than buying a whole new game. I think that's a good way to avoid SimCity-ing yourself, too.

Agreed. The game was cheap enough that I would easily buy another 30-40 bucks of DLC assuming it was GOOD and added a lot more meat to the game.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Bold Robot posted:

- Unlimited Oil and Ore: resources get depleted stupidly fast with default settings. This fixes that.

Couldn't find this one. Have a link?

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

RVT posted:

Couldn't find this one. Have a link?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409644467

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
My map of Hartford, Connecticut is now ready.

Except for the downtown tunnel (which I will add when tunnels are patched in the game), it's about as good/accurate you can get using the game tools. I prebuilt all of the exits and pretty much every highway/railway movement inside the playable area.

The I-84/91 interchange. A royal pain in the rear end, but it did turn out pretty nice.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

xzzy posted:

Oh, they're planning expansions and patches for this, certainly, I just meant that eventually I'm sure we'll get Skylines 2 and that's gonna be their chance to really do something amazing ground-up.

Although for now with their Skylines 1 patches, I hope part of their hiring spree was a unity graphics pipeline expert.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 9, 2015

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

I made myself a map to suit my own tastes a couple months ago and quite enjoyed playing on it, so I've uploaded it to the workshop: Mountain River.

I basically made it as a slow comfort-zone buster for myself, starting nice and simple and flat and getting progressively rougher as you expand. An unintentional side effect of the mountainous terrain is that dams can generate truly ungodly amounts of power, which is nice. It's Boreal, in case purple pollution is a deal-breaker for you. Also, the starting highway (singular) is an absolute twisty mess, in case you don't like that. If you do like messy maps, though, give it a go!

Also, it has an ocean connection at the south edge (left side of picture) even though it really probably shouldn't. :dealwithit:

I've never uploaded anything to the workshop before, so hopefully I didn't gently caress up anything crucial somehow.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh man you know what I would do if I was Colossal Order

I would buy all of that high-res terrain data and make a big 3D worldwide globe that you can zoom in on and pick out any location on earth and make it into a map and play there.

I mean I know you can do this effectively with tools but I mean ingame as a mapmaker for everyone.

It'd be a cool feature to show off.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Did anyone figure out a fix for this bug? There's a pretty large chunk of my down town missing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How many downloaded buildings do you have?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

SynthOrange posted:

How many downloaded buildings do you have?

Deleting some buildings and letting them regrow actually fixed it, but that's not the cause of the problem, as it's been present since pre-release.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Weird. I've never actually seen that problem.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Anyone else having crashes at load time or when exiting? Any time I try to get back to the main menu the game crashes.
Also I noticed that when in the asset editor the back to main menu or desktop button does not do anything, I'm just stuck there having to force close the game.... :psyduck:

Anyone know if there is a log file for the game? I've looked in the game files but found nothing..

Le0 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 9, 2015

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Le0 posted:

Anyone else having crashes at load time or when exiting? Any time I try to get back to the main menu the game crashes.
Also I noticed that when in the asset editor the back to main menu or desktop button does not do anything, I'm just stuck there having to force close the game.... :psyduck:

Anyone know if there is a log file for the game? I've looked in the game files but found nothing..

I think the game crashes if you have too many mods enabled. After the most recent update all of my mods disabled, and reenabling only the ones I really liked has coincided with the cessation of crashing issues for me.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

:psyduck:

WTF game? This was a bog standard roundabout too.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

My industrial areas are bitching about not having enough raw materials and I can't figure out why. Both have good access to regional/local freight and highway. One of them is kinda far from the harbor, but should be able to access the harbor by rail. I've checked the rail routes and everything connects like it should, as far as I can tell. Traffic is fine. It's not a huge deal because I'm still in the black and industrial zones constantly go abandoned in this game anyway, but I haven't had this problem on previous cities.

Screenshot for reference - the industrial areas are outlined in green and the local freight loop is traced in red. Any thoughts?

e: after watching it for a while it seems like none of the freight stations in my industrial zones are creating trains for local traffic, even to send to the commercial zones. Strangely, the freight stations in my commercial zones are occasionally creating trains to send to the harbor to export goods. :shrug:

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 10, 2015

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

My industrial areas are bitching about not having enough raw materials and I can't figure out why.

If you don't have the unlimited natural resources mod, only farming and and forestry are infinite. You will run out of oil in just a year or two with a sufficient industrial sector. Maybe that's this? Probably it.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Bel Monte posted:

If you don't have the unlimited natural resources mod, only farming and and forestry are infinite. You will run out of oil in just a year or two with a sufficient industrial sector. Maybe that's this? Probably it.

I don't have any on-map resource production, just general industry right now. They should be able to import what they need, though, right?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep. But if the shipments don't make it for whatever reason, they'll bitch and eventually abandon.

Usually it's traffic related but I've noticed distance can be a problem too.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
How do you create workers? I wanted to get some forestry going but buildings keep getting abandoned because there aren't enough workers. The orange column tells me there is job demand in my city but it seems offices are all people want.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Distance matter there too. If the job is too far away people just won't bother taking those jobs. Subway or train access will help somewhat, eventually the industry stabilizes, but not as effectively as nearby residential.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Biggest human being Ever posted:

How do you create workers? I wanted to get some forestry going but buildings keep getting abandoned because there aren't enough workers. The orange column tells me there is job demand in my city but it seems offices are all people want.
Check the people infoview for unemployment instead of going by the RCI. CI demand universally outpaces your actual workforce in the current sim so you can largely ignore it after your first few thousand people.

5-10% is probably the healthy unemployment rate range due to education and old folks.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
How do you deal with your six-lane avenue being backed up because everyone's piling into one lane while the others are completely empty?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Redesign the road better. They're only using ne lane because that is the lane that leads most directly to their destination.

Post some pictures of your city and someone can probably offer some suggestions. Also try getting the route query tool mod. Its in the OP I think?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Sam. posted:

How do you deal with your six-lane avenue being backed up because everyone's piling into one lane while the others are completely empty?

Remember that cims have a deep seated need to be in the turning lane even if their turn is 15 intersections away. It's more than slightly silly and unrealistic.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Sam. posted:

Figure out where they're all going and clear it up or give them more direct access. A one lane on-ramp overpass can be way more effective than a six lane road if it gets people where they need to be without getting them stuck in intersections.

It looks really silly for them all to be lined up in a row, but more often than not that's better for traffic than spreading out and blocking the whole road before merging at the place they were all preparing for a mile back. It's that chokepoint you'll need to deal with, not the road leading up to it.

That said, there's also a bunch of silly intersection logic that makes for actually stupid behavior, but I just wanted to point out that it's often your roads that are silly, even if it looks like the cars are being dumb.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

Remember that cims have a deep seated need to be in the turning lane even if their turn is 15 intersections away. It's more than slightly silly and unrealistic.

It looks silly but it's not unrealistic, I mean if they need to use an exit it doesn't really matter if they merge into the appropriate lane 1 mile or 1 foot from the intersection. They're still going to create congestion because the route flat out can't handle the amount of traffic that wants to use it.

The only real failing is that the game doesn't allow cars to choose alternate routes based on existing congestion, but even this day and age that might be too much for a game to calculate in real time.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

xzzy posted:

It looks silly but it's not unrealistic, I mean if they need to use an exit it doesn't really matter if they merge into the appropriate lane 1 mile or 1 foot from the intersection. They're still going to create congestion because the route flat out can't handle the amount of traffic that wants to use it.

The only real failing is that the game doesn't allow cars to choose alternate routes based on existing congestion, but even this day and age that might be too much for a game to calculate in real time.

It's too much for most people to calculate ahead of time, that's why congestion exists.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Bold Robot posted:

My industrial areas are bitching about not having enough raw materials and I can't figure out why. Both have good access to regional/local freight and highway. One of them is kinda far from the harbor, but should be able to access the harbor by rail. I've checked the rail routes and everything connects like it should, as far as I can tell. Traffic is fine. It's not a huge deal because I'm still in the black and industrial zones constantly go abandoned in this game anyway, but I haven't had this problem on previous cities.

Screenshot for reference - the industrial areas are outlined in green and the local freight loop is traced in red. Any thoughts?

e: after watching it for a while it seems like none of the freight stations in my industrial zones are creating trains for local traffic, even to send to the commercial zones. Strangely, the freight stations in my commercial zones are occasionally creating trains to send to the harbor to export goods. :shrug:

Update on this: I added an oil zone and an ore zone and cleaned up my rail network a little bit and they're still bitching about not having enough raw materials. I don't get it.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

xzzy posted:

It's actually extremely unrealistic because there is no reason for you to be in a turning lane unless you are actually turning on the next intersection, especially so if other lanes going straight are empty. The problem isn't that a lot of people want to turn left on a given intersection, it's that a lot of people want to turn left on several intersections in a row. And they are all in a single lane because apparently Cims are taught to merge as early as physically possible, even if doing so means your travel takes significantly longer and you make the problem worse for everybody.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ArchangeI posted:

It's actually extremely unrealistic because there is no reason for you to be in a turning lane unless you are actually turning on the next intersection, especially so if other lanes going straight are empty. The problem isn't that a lot of people want to turn left on a given intersection, it's that a lot of people want to turn left on several intersections in a row. And they are all in a single lane because apparently Cims are taught to merge as early as physically possible, even if doing so means your travel takes significantly longer and you make the problem worse for everybody.
Actually, I've seen more issues with cars avoiding lanes that are "reserved" for turning, when the middle lane is congested. At least on highways they will specifically stay out of the right lane if they're not taking the upcoming exit. If there are two exits in a row, and most people are taking the second one, this leads to everyone lining up in the middle lane and switching all at once at the last minute.

This has hosed things up for me when I also have left exits, as then the real through traffic also bunches up in the middle as it tries to avoid both sides. Another common one is cars getting on right before an exit- they'll immediately try to get into the middle lane, even if they have to stop on the loving highway and wait for an opening, loving everything up. They refuse to just cruise past that exit.

I'll admit I don't have as much experience with normal grids with lights and stuff that have multiple intersections in a row where a decent volume of cars will have to turn left. If you're in that situation, it kind of feels like something's broken to begin with (even if the driving behavior is also making things worse).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I wonder how feasible an overtaking mod would be. That and giving way to emergency vehicles seem to be the only activities vehicles dont do that would help with traffic a lot.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
While I don't think real-time route adjustment will ever be feasible, it would be nice if the route they pre-chose would vary (e.g. they don't always take the shortest; they have a chance to take an alternate route). I think people would like some randomness. E.G. sometimes Cims will take the shortest route, mileage-wise, instead of taking the "fastest" speed limit route.

I don't know how feasible that is from a network standpoint but it would make things interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Friction posted:

I like this game more than is healthy.

Inspiring city! Way to go! Traffic I bet is buttery smooth. Pop?