Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

watho posted:

Can art made purely for money really be considered art? Is doing something more difficult and less monetarily rewarding for the sake of art really worthwhile? How much money did proton jon get to be in Sonic '06?

It's kind of silly to compare LPs to this, but I'd like to point out that Michelangelo pretty much only did the roof of the Sistine Chapel because his patron (the Pope) told/paid him to. He really, really wanted to do sculpting work for the Pope's tomb instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

watho posted:

Can art made purely for money really be considered art? Is doing something more difficult and less monetarily rewarding for the sake of art really worthwhile? How much money did proton jon get to be in Sonic '06?

Art for the sake of art tends to be slightly better only because the artist only has to stop on a piece when doing anything more to it would start to ruin the work.
Performances are this weird area that don't fit as well with my argument. The quality of the performer determines how long they can keep a curtain level of quality while maintaining a schedule.
So, my argument is that, when money is involved the quality of the art will eventually suffer.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

watho posted:

Does the nature of art change with respect to how much money the artist receives for it? What if the artist creates something with no intention of making any money, but then later decides that they'd like to be paid for their effort after all? Were Lallafa's poems still poetry after he copied the earlier drafts sent backward through time?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

watho posted:

Can art made purely for money really be considered art?

This depends on what you think are the most important qualities in judging how artistic something is. Is it technical qualities like skill, the emotional impact, the message (intentional or unintentional), the motivation behind the piece...?

I'm really not a fan of the death of the author but I don't think money being involved diminishes the quality of an art piece in any way. Neither do I think that involving money in making art inevitably lowers its final quality.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Let's Plays: A Modern Art Medium

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
facecams are art

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Big Scary Owl posted:

facecams are art

Someone should use a facecam while painting or something.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

?

Robotic Folksinger
Jun 27, 2008

I guess a robot would have to be crazy to wanna be a folksinger

Truly, facecams are Art.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Happy little reaction video.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Bob Ross was the original ASMR Let's Player

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Danaru posted:

I remember someone getting angry at Arin for saying he found some dudes hot, but not straight out saying he was bisexual. Then afterwards, when Arin said he considered himself straight, they started arguing that he was bisexual and also homophobic. :psyduck: There are some bizarre folks on tumblr.

Yeah, it was actually really hosed up.

The story I heard is that Arin doesn't like to talk a lot about his wife, and someone inferred he was asexual. They sent him an e-mail, pleading for Arin to admit and come out with his asexuality since a person in his position could help others.

Arin responded rather amicably that he didn't consider himself asexual and it wasn't anyone's business anyway.

So the person who e-mailed him got mad, published their e-mails on tumblr and basically tried to shame him.

Arin got pissed, the person got apologetic and I guess that was that.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The Game Grumps's fans feel a bizarrely close personal connection to them.

I've heard this is because they're very open about stuff, but it still strikes me as bizarre.

Also I don't watch their videos in general, but I've always loved this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-LfKbCR0MI

sout
Apr 24, 2014

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The Game Grumps's fans feel a bizarrely close personal connection to them.

Yes, this is something I have noticed to a weird amount, people seem very interested in whether or not Arin and Jon are on good terms, which I guess it's fair to have some curiosity but people are really prying into it a creepy amount.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Here's my take on this: there is nothing wrong with the style of LPs that PDP and Markiplier do. It's not for me, it's evidently not for other people in this forum, but it doesn't make it bad. They're good at what they do, which is acting exaggeratedly scared or excited at video games, and that is considered funny. Good for them that they have found their way and they have become popular doing that.

Would I prefer it if they did more low-key, thoughtful sort of videos? Sure, but I am not going to talk poo poo about them because they don't strive to appeal to my specific taste.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

There's a guy on Twitch who paints models with a facecam.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

sout posted:

Yes, this is something I have noticed to a weird amount, people seem very interested in whether or not Arin and Jon are on good terms, which I guess it's fair to have some curiosity but people are really prying into it a creepy amount.

On a recent episode of Pokemon Something Or Other Dan mentioned that it had finally usurped Sonic 06 as the longest-running series and wondered aloud (jokingly) if Jon would be upset, to which Arin laughed. That was it. That was the whole thing. Cue like 10 threads on their subreddit and every comment on the video being like THEY STILL HATE JON HOW DARE THEY MOCK HIM BEHIND HIS BACK HOW COULD THEY DO THIS TO ONE OF THEIR BEST FRIENDS

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

CJacobs posted:

On a recent episode of Pokemon Something Or Other Dan mentioned that it had finally usurped Sonic 06 as the longest-running series and wondered aloud (jokingly) if Jon would be upset, to which Arin laughed. That was it. That was the whole thing. Cue like 10 threads on their subreddit and every comment on the video being like THEY STILL HATE JON HOW DARE THEY MOCK HIM BEHIND HIS BACK HOW COULD THEY DO THIS TO ONE OF THEIR BEST FRIENDS

I once saw a thread where they listed every single mention of Jon since he left, episode and timestamp. There was also a huge shitstorm because they think that a blank miiverse post was them censoring a mention of Jon.

Then they act completely baffled as to why the Grumps crew loving hates Reddit.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Danaru posted:

I once saw a thread where they listed every single mention of Jon since he left, episode and timestamp. There was also a huge shitstorm because they think that a blank miiverse post was them censoring a mention of Jon.

Then they act completely baffled as to why the Grumps crew loving hates Reddit.

This reminds me of the time a few years back where one of the bigger Minecraft people attracted a fan so obsessive that the guy went through hundreds of videos to collect minute biographical details about the LPer and from that was able to determine which flower shop in Canada the LPer's parents owned. Ultimately he didn't share that information with the internet, he just showed up in person asking the owners if he could talk to their son.

That right there is the benefit of not having fans, no one is going to do that poo poo to me.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Lazyfire posted:

This reminds me of the time a few years back where one of the bigger Minecraft people attracted a fan so obsessive that the guy went through hundreds of videos to collect minute biographical details about the LPer and from that was able to determine which flower shop in Canada the LPer's parents owned. Ultimately he didn't share that information with the internet, he just showed up in person asking the owners if he could talk to their son.

:stonk: That's seriously messed up. Thank gently caress I'm a nobody.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Danaru posted:

:stonk: That's seriously messed up. Thank gently caress I'm a nobody.

It's more hosed up when you take into account that particular guy is really private and so the details were spread across something like 400 videos and were little things like "my parent's shop is closed on Friday" or "We live on the edge of town" without mentioning which city or town he lives in. Imagine if a motherfucker applied themselves to literally anything but stalking YouTube personalities. He would be the best detective of all time.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Lazyfire posted:

That right there is the benefit of not having fans, no one is going to do that poo poo to me.
Etho from Mindcrack? Guy has The Worst Fans.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Fish Noise posted:

Etho from Mindcrack? Guy has The Worst Fans.

Yes on both accounts.

If you were ever wondering the optimal audience for boring rear end Minecraft people it's seven year olds. I took care of my niece and nephew for an afternoon after my wife had shown them Etho and they sat in rapt attention for five goddamn hours only taking their eyes off the screen if I needed to get another video up for them. Meanwhile, I made it like 300 pages into a book.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure that's a great way to build your Let's Play Portfolio and Personal Brand.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Lazyfire posted:

Yes on both accounts.

If you were ever wondering the optimal audience for boring rear end Minecraft people it's seven year olds. I took care of my niece and nephew for an afternoon after my wife had shown them Etho and they sat in rapt attention for five goddamn hours only taking their eyes off the screen if I needed to get another video up for them. Meanwhile, I made it like 300 pages into a book.

As a father of an 8 year old, I can confirm.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lazyfire posted:

I didn't know Batman watched Minecraft LPs.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

slowbeef posted:

Yeah, it was actually really hosed up.

The story I heard is that Arin doesn't like to talk a lot about his wife, and someone inferred he was asexual.

The only person Arin has apparently ever even had a relationship with is his wife, which in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, but does contribute toward what he has shown to be a very... awkward outlook on sex and relationships. Combined with how some of those awkward outlooks lead to comments he makes that can only end up relating to Suzy, I can see how some people would think his sexual identity isn't as straightforward as he thinks or suggest.

That said, it's not really anyone's business unless he makes it their business.

PS - Thanks Arin for forever burning it into my brain that Suzy's vagina tastes like sour milk and pennies. :barf:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Jamesman posted:

PS - Thanks Arin for forever burning it into my brain that Suzy's vagina tastes like sour milk and pennies. :barf:

What I'm getting from this is that it's not just the fans that are the awkward and terrible ones here.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Jamesman posted:

what

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm pretty sure he was joking.

edit: ...Uh, pretty sure.

I like Egoraptor, I think he's funny and so are the rest of the Game Grumps people.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

It's a real thing Arin said during Game Grumps. Was using it as an example of Arin's weird outlooks on sex.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

paradoxGentleman posted:

Here's my take on this: there is nothing wrong with the style of LPs that PDP and Markiplier do. It's not for me, it's evidently not for other people in this forum, but it doesn't make it bad. They're good at what they do, which is acting exaggeratedly scared or excited at video games, and that is considered funny. Good for them that they have found their way and they have become popular doing that.

Would I prefer it if they did more low-key, thoughtful sort of videos? Sure, but I am not going to talk poo poo about them because they don't strive to appeal to my specific taste.

I'm gonna try to steer this conversation away from the, uh, places that its heading and reply to this because it's honestly Good And Correct. I don't watch either of them because they're not quite my thing, but honestly i rarely watch/read SA LPs these days because I watch LPs for the personalities of the people doing them and youtube guys like Grumps and 2 best friends are more up that alley. And the SA style of focusing on the game is perfectly fine too!!!! trying to determine a right and wrong way to play video games for the internet is v silly imo (rape jokes are bad tho)

Arin seems like a good dude and considering how many times its been pointed out that his sexuality is none of our business im not really sure why its still being discussed

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Jamesman posted:

Dunno the exact context in this case so I can't tell how serious Arin might have been, but I'm pretty certain I've seen variations of this joke many times since way before GG was a thing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If it didn't originate on 4chan, it was at one point a 4chan thing to say, like in the same context of quoting The 40-Year Old Virgin describing breasts as bags of sand.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Monicro posted:

Arin seems like a good dude and considering how many times its been pointed out that his sexuality is none of our business im not really sure why its still being discussed

Well there's a difference between a bunch of random dorks on the internet getting angry about a dude's sex life based on videos of him playing games and that same dude saying something like that of his own volition for those random dorks to titter over. If you don't want people discussing your sex life (which I absolutely cannot blame anyone for) I don't know why you'd then decide it's a good idea to remark on the taste of someone's vagina, maybe that's just me.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
Probably because it was a joke and he is an Internet funny man who tells jokes, that is his job.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

thank you for choosing that part of my post to reply to

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
You're welcome.

edit;

dreezy posted:

Probably because it was a joke and he is an Internet funny man who tells jokes, that is his job.

Okay, setting aside matters of taste for a moment this is kind of an interesting thing to consider (for certain values of interesting I guess) because you increasingly have entertainment groups like this with online fanbases that go weird and crazy about stuff and cross all sorts of lines in sometimes very uncomfortable fashion, so I don't know if I was on the receiving end of that if it would drive me to start increasingly watching the stuff I say even as internet funny joke man so as to not give my crazy fanbase more things to obsessively gnaw on or not.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 12, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Monicro posted:

thank you for choosing that part of my post to reply to

You might have more success in the future if you used your shift key like the big boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

You might have more success in the future if you used your shift key like the big boys.

nah

• Locked thread