Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Sakurazuka posted:

Hyrule Warriors is the best musou game though, even if they eventually added so much to do in it that it's virtually impossible for anyone to finish it all before burning out.

It doesn't have even half the level of content of Warriors Orochi 3 and Nintendo has already passed on 3 warriors games getting localized. It's probably the main reason Chronicles 3 was on the vita to start with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

KoldPT posted:

Reborn's a lot less detail-oriented than the previous ones. It seems to be balanced more around the idea of giving you fun robots to play and destroy poo poo as, so, it's a lot better than the incredibly grindy bullshit they had in 3.

I haven't played 3 in a while but Reborn is easily the grindiest Musou game in my opinion. Most of it can be ignored if you aren't going for achievements but the same can be said for 3, really.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Belzac posted:

It doesn't have even half the level of content of Warriors Orochi 3

This is quite true. I have only just reached Chapter 5, and that is after powering through the main story missions, I still have a good portion of the side missions to do. I wanted to have all of the tea house options before I bothered unlocking the bond based missions. I have only dabbled a bit in the other modes.

I have to say I appreciate the amount of development each character gets. You would think with 150 characters there wouldn't be much room for developing them, but each character gets at least a 2-3 mission story (helped by the fact that you play as 3 characters at a time), and tons of dialogs from just walking around in camp as various different people. I loved talking to Cao Cao as one of the spirit people and he is like "Now that human kind is united as one, we seem to be able to defeat the mystic realm easily. Perhaps our next move should be a campaign against the heavens" :black101:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I mean I like Hyrule warriors a lot and think it's probably the best new game in a series (as in like Samurai warriors 1, Gundam 1, etc) but it's living entirely on the fact it's a Zelda game and if it was something else and trapped on the WiiU it'd probably not have been localized or have had no support. There's a good reason Dragon Quest Heroes is on Sony.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Dragon Quest in general is coming back to Sony probably because Nintendo stopped supporting them overseas and Sony is dying to get them back to PlayStation. They treated Yuji Horii like a deity last year at Tokyo Game Show and he's been dropping hints that DQ11 is for PlayStation since before even then. Can't wait to get my hands on Heroes, I got to try some of the PS3 version a few weeks back and it's totally not what I expected.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The next anime Musou game probably isn't something anyone predicted.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-05-07/heroic-legend-of-arslan-manga-gets-musou-game-for-ps4-ps3/.87906

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

:stare: Yeah, that's fairly unexpected. In fact I'm sort of surprised Arslan is still a thing.

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 09:33 on May 7, 2015

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Is that actually made by KT?!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Article was weirdly vague about that but it has Musou in the title and uses the same font as other games so it seems so be.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Sakurazuka posted:

Suits me, I'd rather play on the nicer screen anyway also yay more SW.

Somebody in this thread platinum'd Sengoku Basara 2. Never say never.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
So another Shonen Jump manga that is not JoJo is being made into a Musou game. :argh:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Maleketh posted:

In fact I'm sort of surprised Arslan is still a thing.

Depending on when 'fall' is it might be pretty well timed to come out in Japan just as the currently airing anime series ends.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Jibo posted:

So another Shonen Jump manga that is not JoJo is being made into a Musou game. :argh:

Does 'Jojo' have big army fights with lots of mooks to take down?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Bloodly posted:

Does 'Jojo' have big army fights with lots of mooks to take down?

No, it doesn't. Most of the fights are one on one affairs, and while some of them get bigger with more people it doesn't usually broach double digits. That's why most JoJo games are fighting games rather than being given the Musou treatment.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
JoJo is kinda unique in that there are absolutely no fodder characters whatsoever. Something like Musou works best with stories/settings where you have a strong character commanding a lot of weaker ones.

PSSSST if anyones got an uncle working at the musou factory please convince them to make a pirate warriors empires tia

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Policenaut posted:

No, it doesn't. Most of the fights are one on one affairs, and while some of them get bigger with more people it doesn't usually broach double digits. That's why most JoJo games are fighting games rather than being given the Musou treatment.

Here is my Jojo Musou Fanfiction. It is set in the timeline of Phantom Blood and through time travel fuckery it brings all the main characters and villains of all the arcs together. The heroes team up with Johnathon and the villains team up with Dio (as well as DIO of course). That way you have the normal mook vampire zombie things as cannon fodder.

BOOM 10/10 Musou game

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

That'd probably be funnier if I didn't know a guy who dismisses Jojolion as 'official fanciction' for the series.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'd play the poo poo out of it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The old testament of the Bible would make a really excellent Musou game. Lots of characters with magic powers, or cool combat gimmicks, and tons of slaughter and genocide and huge battles. It would likely piss off too many people to make though :(

*Moses, get the Israelites to the escape point to win!*
*Pharaoh is advancing*
*Moses does his Musou attack, and parts the Egyptian army like the Red Sea* :black101:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 10, 2015

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

jojo's would make a garbage musou game and the only conceivable reason i can imagine for why people want one is simply that it's popular.

arslan meanwhile has:
-big battles featuring a lot of cannon fodder and musou style heroes
-a variety of hot guys with individual fighting styles (also a bunch of non-hot guys)
-a hermit strategist who lives on a hill
-stratagems straight out of dynasty warriors

that's why they chose it instead of the show about 1 on 1 battles

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

JoJos would make a good ultimate ninja storm-esque game tho, but not musou

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Rutibex posted:

The old testament of the Bible would make a really excellent Musou game. Lots of characters with magic powers, or cool combat gimmicks, and tons of slaughter and genocide and huge battles. It would likely piss off too many people to make though :(

*Moses, get the Israelites to the escape point to win!*
*Pharaoh is advancing*
*Moses does his Musou attack, and parts the Egyptian army like the Red Sea* :black101:

I would play the hell out of that

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

JoJo has such a huge cast but once you get out of the first few series' it gets harder and harder to pull characters who aren't really weird and awkward to fit into an action-y environment. I don't think anyone wants to play as the guy who's Stand lets him look backwards in time and fight the dude who's Stand is an carnivorous invisible crocodile and the jerk that kills you with a weird fungus thing if you reach certain altitudes. The most recent JoJo games really have to pull hard to find viable cast members once you get into Vento Aureo and later.

Davincie posted:

jojo's would make a garbage musou game and the only conceivable reason i can imagine for why people want one is simply that it's popular.

arslan meanwhile has:
-big battles featuring a lot of cannon fodder and musou style heroes
-a variety of hot guys with individual fighting styles (also a bunch of non-hot guys)
-a hermit strategist who lives on a hill
-stratagems straight out of dynasty warriors

that's why they chose it instead of the show about 1 on 1 battles

Tell me more about this Arslan thing, which I have never heard of until the announcement of this game. Is it a thing I should read/watch/play/find out what genre of thing it is so I can play the Musou thing? I did the same for Saint Seiya and thought it was okay.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's written by the same guy who did Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It's not the first time it's had a game either. It got a Fire Emblem-esque game back in the 90s for Sega CD.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Arslan Senki was written by Legend of the Galactic Heroes author. The currently airing anime has character designs by the Fullmetal Alchemist lady's manga adaptation of the novels. ADTRW has a thread about the anime.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Arakawa's manga also has official scanlations in Crunchyroll's manga section, and there's an older anime version that I can't honestly recommend as it condenses the story to a ridiculous degree.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Can I change weapons of custom characters in SW4? I like chronicle mode, but I'm not sure if I want to start a whole new character just to try out other murder tools.

Also, what are the benefits of clearng all objectives in story campaign missions. Did all objectives in Takeda campaign, got nothing :v:.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yeah, just go back to the edit menu from inside chronicle mode and change the weapon, you lose no progress. it's in fact advisable if you want all the best weapons since you can get them twice as fast that way

no benefit, just bragging rights/a trophy

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
So the only reason to play campaigns is wanting to see the story and character interactions? Neat.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Suddenly I miss fighting Mobile Armours in Gundam 3 compared to Gundam 2.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gundam 2 has the worst version of mobile armours and it pretty much ruined the whole game for me.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Gundam 2 has the worst version of mobile armours and it pretty much ruined the whole game for me.

I almost beat Four last night, but the AI controlling Kamille just couldn't wait to blow itself up!

Trying to set up a dash whilst avoiding being mobbed by the mook suits it something they left out in the tutorial video. It is a shame really, despite the lack of 00 Gundam characters I really like a lot of the stuff in 2 better than 3. The much roomier looser maps for example.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
You're using power attacks (hold down Square) right? When you hit a mobile armor with a power attack it does massive damage and knocks it down. You basically chain stun them over and over.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Belzac posted:

You're using power attacks (hold down Square) right? When you hit a mobile armor with a power attack it does massive damage and knocks it down. You basically chain stun them over and over.

Yeah, but it is fiddly as hell with the timing at least for me. I'm trying to time it so I get them when they are doing a non AOE/Close range attack whilst also trying to not get swarmed by the mooks.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I remember just jumping at the bosses and smacking them in the face since most of their attacks are aimed at the ground 90% of the time you just jump over whatever they're doing and power attack them in the face.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Anyone know if DW8E has cross-play between PS3/4? Some stuff out there (like the Koei Wiki) says there is, but it's hard to find any concrete proof, which suggests otherwise.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Anyone know if DW8E has cross-play between PS3/4? Some stuff out there (like the Koei Wiki) says there is, but it's hard to find any concrete proof, which suggests otherwise.

It has cross-saving, at least.

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 13, 2015

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

First screenshots of The Heroic Legend of Arslan Warriors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finding those shots amusing, Arslan certainly has potential to be a Musou badass eventually but he's nowhere near that level yet.