Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

To be fair the question posed in the post isn't "Why am I broke?" but "Should I dip into my previous jobs 401(k) in order to begin repairing my currently poor financial situation?"
I know you don't get into a situation like this by being good at money, but :cmon:.

If he did that, he'd be in the same position again in a few years because neither he nor his GF will have actually fixed their habits. But we all know that already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Is cable like stupidly expensive in other parts of the country? I pay $80/month for 80mbps cable internet that comes with free basic cable and I only even have that much because I'm a turbonerd and host stuff and need fast internet for work etc.

Then again I don't live in one of the Comcast wasteland states...

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Is cable like stupidly expensive in other parts of the country? I pay $80/month for 80mbps cable internet that comes with free basic cable and I only even have that much because I'm a turbonerd and host stuff and need fast internet for work etc.

Try living in Canada where in 95% of the country that $80 will get you 20mbps down/2 mbps up with a 250GB cap and that's it. No cable.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

He's also paying $400/month on gas! :wth:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dillbag posted:

Try living in Canada where in 95% of the country that $80 will get you 20mbps down/2 mbps up with a 250GB cap and that's it. No cable.

If I paid $25 more I could get 300mbps down and like 20 up and the little kid in me who grew up with poo poo dialup and then poo poo DSL really wants it but the 80 is already more than I normally use and I'm trying to be a responsible adult which is no fun :(

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

If I paid $25 more I could get 300mbps down and like 20 up and the little kid in me who grew up with poo poo dialup and then poo poo DSL really wants it but the 80 is already more than I normally use and I'm trying to be a responsible adult which is no fun :(

it's me I did this I succumbed to the kid with dialup inside me

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Dillbag posted:

This is no joke one of the top 3 reasons why im reluctant to move back to canada (which incidentally speaks to how awesome canada is otherwise). The situation is so depressing.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I pay around that much for a quarter of the speed, and the fasted plan available is maybe double my current speed for double the price (or more, can't remember). That's just for internet service, mind you. I live just south of Charlotte, NC, for reference (in SC, though, so Google Fiber will not be an option once it's installed).

However, I think AT&T is burying lines for their U-Verse service, so maybe there will be a viable alternative by the end of the year (on Time-Warner currently).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Yeah here (Central Florida) there's actual competition and I even know a guy personally who started a local ISP that's now spread across the state and the cable company (Bright House) just decided to double everyone's speed without increasing prices one day, and even before that happened I was actually getting more than the advertised speeds which I think is against the laws of physics or something.

From what I've heard of Comcast and Time Warner saturated areas, they've already built out the infrastructure to run faster and if some competition like FiOS or U-Verse moves in magically oh that network we said we couldn't squeeze any more than 40mbps out of can now handle 100+mbps overnight :iiam:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Yup, as soon Google announced they'd be liberating Austin, Time Warner and AT&T suddenly upped their speeds because they're such nice people.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

From what I've heard of Comcast and Time Warner saturated areas, they've already built out the infrastructure to run faster and if some competition like FiOS or U-Verse moves in magically oh that network we said we couldn't squeeze any more than 40mbps out of can now handle 100+mbps overnight :iiam:

I think they actually are installing new fiber; I drive by half a dozen or more AT&T crews laying new cable every day.

To illustrate how lovely my connection is, I ran a speed test a couple of hours ago and it was down to less than 5 Mbps - I'm assuming due to peak load (everyone streaming GoT). It's back where it should be now, though that's not saying much :smith:.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

SpelledBackwards posted:

Yup, as soon Google announced they'd be liberating Austin, Time Warner and AT&T suddenly upped their speeds because they're such nice people.

When FIOS moved in to my parent's neighborhood, their speed was magically tripled for free because Time Warner is so nice and greatly values them as customers!

Though to be fair, the technology used for this stuff is being developed at a rapid pace and we can do things now that we couldn't do 2-3 years ago. Of course, they're all still greedy companies and the reason the technology is advancing so quickly is because of all the competition. It's not cheap to constantly be upgrading so it has to be deployed in an intelligent manner.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Ornamented Death posted:

I live just south of Charlotte, NC, for reference (in SC, though, so Google Fiber will not be an option once it's installed).

However, I think AT&T is burying lines for their U-Verse service, so maybe there will be a viable alternative by the end of the year (on Time-Warner currently).

Rock Hill or Fort Mill?

I cannot WAIT for Google Fiber to finish laying lines on the north side of town. If Huntersville gets done first, I'm moving there sooner.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Cox did the same when at&t moved into New Orleans suburbs.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Ornamented Death posted:

I like U-Verse, but I seriously doubt you'll find it faster than cable. I'm supposed to have something like 20mb down, but our Netflix performance feels like I'm running regular DSL. At this point I stay because every time I try to leave they lower my bill by 20%.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I've got a local telecom that has fiber running through most of the city. I could get a 1 Gbps connection (down AND up) if I wanted (I decided to opt for the 25 Mbps instead (again, down AND up.)) And being fiber, it's not a shared connection. I run speed test and always get over 20 Mbps.

I pay a lot for my TV+internet (about $180/month) but most of that is the TV. I've got a sports package, HBO, and HD DVR.

If I wanted just internet it'd be ~$70 (and their website says $55 if you sign a 12-month commitment.)

The gigabit connection is like $200/month ($150 for a commitment.)

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I pay $12.75/month for 50MBPS down, land line phone, and a single cable box with all channels including premium movie channels.

Good with money: Working for the cable company.

Bad at life: Working for the cable company.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

I like U-Verse, but I seriously doubt you'll find it faster than cable. I'm supposed to have something like 20mb down, but our Netflix performance feels like I'm running regular DSL. At this point I stay because every time I try to leave they lower my bill by 20%.

When I signed up for U-Verse I was told I was getting 30mb down, but after the installed it and I checked my bill for the first time I had been adjusted to 18mb down. When I called they said "that's the fastest they could offer me", but they gave me a 6 month bill credit as "compensation".

Other than that I've been fairly happy with U-Verse. Just kinda sad that it's 2015 and the fastest internet I can get is 18mb down.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bugamol posted:

When I signed up for U-Verse I was told I was getting 30mb down, but after the installed it and I checked my bill for the first time I had been adjusted to 18mb down. When I called they said "that's the fastest they could offer me", but they gave me a 6 month bill credit as "compensation".

Other than that I've been fairly happy with U-Verse. Just kinda sad that it's 2015 and the fastest internet I can get is 18mb down.

pretty good trade imo

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Nocheez posted:

Rock Hill or Fort Mill?

I cannot WAIT for Google Fiber to finish laying lines on the north side of town. If Huntersville gets done first, I'm moving there sooner.

York, actually.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
It was nice of that man to dig holes in his garden to ease the financial burden of horse ownership that his neighbours had imposed on themselves.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Buying a puppy for $1100 is bad with money. Getting an extra $300 tacked on is even worse with money. And buying from a meth addict backyard breeder is just bad with life.

http://np.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/35lyq8/puppy_breeder_overcharged_us_for_a_dog_what_is/ posted:

I will try to make a long story short. We found a puppy that we wanted to buy last week so my wife called and asked if she was still available. The breeder told us someone had paid a deposit on her but had just backed out so we could put a deposit down if wanted to. We asked how much the puppy costs (website says $1400) she says normally $1400 but we really need to find her a home so we will give her to you for $1100. Great so we send a $200 deposit and agree to pick up the puppy in a week.

We are in the car making the 250 mile trip to pick up this dog and breeder texts my wife and says “hey just so you know I haven’t received the remaining $1200 you owe me.” So she says well you told me it was $1100 on the phone and we want to see the dog before we pay you the rest of the money.

The breeder denies she ever told us $1100, and says the price is $1400 so we can either take her or she will refund our deposit. Keep in mind this is after we have already been talking to our kids about this dog for a week and are on our way to pick up the dog 2 states away. We tell her obviously we want the dog still but we want it for the agreed upon price. I told my wife to stop texting her and we would talk about it when we go there.

So we show up to this breeders “house” and it is a complete nightmare. She comes to the door and looks nothing like her pictures, riddled with meth scabs and no teeth and the house is a complete dump. She takes us to the back yard and gives us the dog and I ask her what is the deal with the price? You had originally told us $1100. She says well I’m not going to argue with you I never said that so you can either pay me $1400 or leave and I’ll refund your deposit. We paid her the $1200 because honestly I was worried if we didn’t we might not get out of this house. I felt unsafe and didn’t want to argue anymore.

I sent her paypal payments for both the $200 deposit and the $1200 payment.

My question is this. Can I open a dispute with paypal and do you think I will win the dispute? I would want to dispute the $1200 and get the extra $300 that she charged us back. I know I could’ve just walked away but my whole family had been planning on getting this dog and I felt unsafe telling her no once we were there. Is there any action I can take on this or I am just stuck paying a stupid tax on this one since I never got the price in writing?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Ugh, further perpetuating the puppy mill problem and still too stupid not to back out after things got fishy even before they made it to the seller's house.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
They should have called the police and told them they were selling meth, then bought the now-sheltered puppies on the cheap.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
My Bro-in-law hosted Mother's Day this weekend, so we all went to his apartment for the first time. He just found a place with this girl he's been dating for about 10 months.

Anyway the bad with money comes in here: he recently went back to school, so he has a line of credit to help pay for that. His girlfriend is the only one with a job, and she was telling us how she is working two part time jobs, juggling them both to work 25-27 days a month.

They started off with two lizards of some type, then got two fish tanks. A kitten. When we showed up they also just got a rabbit. They're breeding all sorts of crickets and worms for their lizards, they're pretty sure they can sell them for big money. Hopefully they're right, cause I feel bad for this poor girl having to work almost non-stop because the guy isn't doing anything.

Oh they were also showing off their new Apple Watch knockoffs (Samsung Gear Fit?)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think these people are not blessed with an abundance of planning capability.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

triplexpac posted:

Oh they were also showing off their new Apple Watch knockoffs (Samsung Gear Fit?)

Your brother may be BWM but the Samsung Gear line was released 18 months before the Apple Watch and can be had much cheaper than the barest entry level $349 Apple Watch

BEHOLD: MY CAPE fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 11, 2015

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Your brother may be BWM but the Samsung Gear line was released 18 months before the Apple Watch and can be had much cheaper than the barest entry level $349 Apple Watch

Haha yeah I didn't expect these things to be big ticket items or anything, I think they said they were $100 each? But still, if you're stretched so thin that one partner has to work two jobs and doesn't have any time off, maybe you should forgo the fancy pedometers.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
The latest p2p loan I looked at that was rather sad was for debt consolidation. They spent $23k on their wedding entirely on credit cards. So they went to p2p lending so that they could pay 20.5% instead of 22-24% interest on credit cards.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 12, 2015

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Devian666 posted:

The latest p2p loan I looked at that was rather sad was for debt consolidation. The spend $23k on their wedding entirely on credit cards. So they went to p2p lending so that they could pay 20.5% instead of 22-24% interest on credit cards.

Buffoons Getting Ahead: Incremental Improvements Edition

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

They should have called the police and told them they were selling meth, then bought the now-sheltered puppies on the cheap.

If the police raided a suspected "meth house" I'm positive no dogs would have left that property alive, caged or not.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Street Horrrsing posted:

If the police raided a suspected "meth house" I'm positive no dogs would have left that property alive, caged or not.
Definitely true. loving idiotic police state.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Why would you pay that much for a dog and why would you drive that loving far for it? That's ~4 hour drive for a loving dog.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Suspicious Lump posted:

Why would you pay that much for a dog and why would you drive that loving far for it? That's ~4 hour drive for a loving dog.

My mother paid that much to adopt, transport and fly (first class apparently) a middle-aged dog from rear end in a top hat Texas to Hartford. It had some spine problem and had to be put down less than 3 years later.

I also know a guy that paid $3,000 - as in Three Thousand American United States George Washington Greenback Dollars - for a cat. A purebreed Abyssinian admittedly, and holy poo poo is that a beautiful cat, but my cat cost $75 in adoption fees at the shelter and she's cooler than that weird thing. :catbert:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

My dad's a real-estate agent and when doing leases, he'll have people drop $450 non-refundable deposits per pet on nine-month terms. Maybe one a month or so, he'll always point them out to me and we'll roll our eyes.

edit: I know a guy who has a somewhat impressive facebook presence as an artist. He used that as leverage to set up a successful kickstarter for $1900 for emergency cat surgery. Smart on him for being bad with other people's money.

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 12, 2015

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
How is it a "deposit" if it's "non-refundable?" Isn't that just a fee?

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Suspicious Lump posted:

That's not unusual for a dog at a respectable breeder with a known lineage (to prevent puppy farming / lovely genetics). And to a lot of people a dog is more than "a loving dog."

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Generally non-refundable just means you can't back out of the deal without forfeiting the deposit. If it does mean "you give me money and never see it again" then that's super sketchy / fraudulent.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

berzerker posted:

That's not unusual for a dog at a respectable breeder with a known lineage (to prevent puppy farming / lovely genetics). And to a lot of people a dog is more than "a loving dog."

Don't fall in love with an expensive dog.
Do fall in love with someone richer than you though.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Non-refundable deposits are pretty common thing, like when you buy a car, usually have to put a few hundred down as a non-refundable deposit while you get the rest of money in order to cover their costs if you walk away. It's a deposit because it comes off the price, a fee would go on top of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

berzerker posted:

That's not unusual for a dog at a respectable breeder with a known lineage (to prevent puppy farming / lovely genetics).

If you want a dog with good genetics, get the mutt with the most undiscernable lineage at the local humane society.

• Locked thread