Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Boon posted:

Yeah but they have pins now so you know they're super serial

In all seriousness, that is one of their problems. Tons of variation on how they get their pins. That's not so much my observation but based on what several IWs have told, including one whose judgement I trust quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I no poo poo got an email about mandatory training for "triggering and perception bias." Looks like it's time to launch all nukes.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sir Lucius posted:

I no poo poo got an email about mandatory training for "triggering and perception bias." Looks like it's time to launch all nukes.

Nuke the earth, salt the ashes, and then attach hugeass rockets to it and pitch what's left into the sun

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Sir Lucius posted:

It went from an offering to mandatory at tumblr speed

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Since the 9ARBpocalypse, we've got sailors taking SP evals for not having IDW (if you're within 6 months of DNQ) and then disenrolling from the IDW program because they were already told they can't re-enlist so there's no point anyway in having a better eval or having IDW. It's driving the chief's mess to boiling fury.

True story though, they're telling us at quarters now that contractors and the DoD won't hire us if we don't have IDW and they managed to tell us this with straight faces.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Leadership is lying to those you lead.

:chiefsay:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Analogical posted:

Since the 9ARBpocalypse, we've got sailors taking SP evals for not having IDW (if you're within 6 months of DNQ) and then disenrolling from the IDW program because they were already told they can't re-enlist so there's no point anyway in having a better eval or having IDW. It's driving the chief's mess to boiling fury.

True story though, they're telling us at quarters now that contractors and the DoD won't hire us if we don't have IDW and they managed to tell us this with straight faces.
They're worried about :shepspends:

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
While this command has the hardest qualification bar-none that I've seen anywhere in the Navy (anyone else who has sat a board at this command agrees with me), it's not that hard to get qualified because it *also* has a very robust training program. Not being a prick, but quit making excuses and get qualified. It really is that simple. Getting your warfare qual at this command ultimately falls into a similar vein as the PRT: it is ultimately personal responsibility and although there may be factors that make it difficult, you have nobody to blame but yourself for not getting your qual, especially when you have two and a half *years* to get it.

If I can do a MS *and* JPME full-time (12 graduate credits) while loving working full-time, you can get EIDWS/IDWO.

edit: and the private/contracting sector gives exactly zero fucks about Navy warfare qualifications, tell your Chief/DIVO to get loving real.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Maybe I don't understand the situation completely, but if I were getting downsized out of the Navy, there is no way in gently caress I would worry about getting a warfare qualification. It's not like it's going to help you retain your job in that circumstance. Maybe it would be worth doing it if you knew you were 9+ months out from freedom, just to get your CoC(k) off your back, but even then... I would probably just fake going through the motions.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

buttplug posted:

While this command has the hardest qualification bar-none that I've seen anywhere in the Navy (anyone else who has sat a board at this command agrees with me), it's not that hard to get qualified because it *also* has a very robust training program. Not being a prick, but quit making excuses and get qualified. It really is that simple. Getting your warfare qual at this command ultimately falls into a similar vein as the PRT: it is ultimately personal responsibility and although there may be factors that make it difficult, you have nobody to blame but yourself for not getting your qual, especially when you have two and a half *years* to get it.

If I can do a MS *and* JPME full-time (12 graduate credits) while loving working full-time, you can get EIDWS/IDWO.

edit: and the private/contracting sector gives exactly zero fucks about Navy warfare qualifications, tell your Chief/DIVO to get loving real.

Analogical isn't at our command though. He ends up there TAD for months at a time which makes it kind of hard to get books signed and find partners to board with. But yea, from 0 to qualified I would say it shouldn't take more than 2 months. It's a great feeling having all that poo poo out of the way, but I definitely don't feel like I'm qualified for anything. I probably forgot everything I memorized the week after I had my final board. I can guarantee I would fail the written exam if I was tasked with taking it right now. What they should do is require you to get your pin before you can shop up. People are in holding for so long anyways, usually just loving off and dodging out of work after lunch muster.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

Analogical isn't at our command though. He ends up there TAD for months at a time which makes it kind of hard to get books signed and find partners to board with. But yea, from 0 to qualified I would say it shouldn't take more than 2 months. It's a great feeling having all that poo poo out of the way, but I definitely don't feel like I'm qualified for anything. I probably forgot everything I memorized the week after I had my final board. I can guarantee I would fail the written exam if I was tasked with taking it right now. What they should do is require you to get your pin before you can shop up. People are in holding for so long anyways, usually just loving off and dodging out of work after lunch muster

I know where he's at, and I realize he ends up TDY here quite often. My point still stands.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Was your point that IDW is stupid and annoying and I hate it and I don't want to do it? If so we agree.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Sir Lucius posted:

Was your point that IDW is stupid and annoying and I hate it and I don't want to do it? If so we agree.

This is the thought process I see a lot of being at a training command. At the end of the day qualifications like warfare pins and MTS aren't difficult to get and often times its easier to just get it than it is dealing with the day to day bullshit of your CoC forcing it on you.

I don;t know the situation though and if you;re getting out in 6 months or whatever than can't you just disenroll?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Analogical posted:

Good for them.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
If never getting promoted in the Seabees is the price of not knowing what the gently caress you fags are talking about then I am happy with my decision.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

PneumonicBook posted:

I don;t know the situation though and if you;re getting out in 6 months or whatever than can't you just disenroll?

The correct answer is to continue the qualification process, use it to skate out of things, and then one day *poof* you're gone.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
are all of your pin quals this contentious or is it just the computer nerd one

Analogical
May 20, 2013

buttplug posted:

I'm fine for IDW, I board next week since I've finally been at my home command for more than two months and I'm not DNQ until sometime next year as they don't count my TDY/TADs, which is over 70% of my total time here. The SP sailor situation is endemic in the other offices here though but morale is also ripped to shreds here because nobody was told they could re-enlist. I only know three people who got orders out of all the arabic linguists I know, and two are re-languages with one doing something unique for the DoD. People stopped volunteering, quit collaterals and just focused on the DoD side of the house. I know a good portion of people in FHD, CC/CFL offices who were like "Why deal with all this extra poo poo then" and deuced out.

Not the most graceful thing to do since that hurts the sailors more than the angst you have for the command, but I see where they're coming from in wanting their last 6-7 months to be as carefree as possible. I think that's why they're telling us IDW will hurt our chances of coming back in civvies.

Sir Lucius posted:

What they should do is require you to get your pin before you can shop up. People are in holding for so long anyways, usually just loving off and dodging out of work after lunch muster.

I've said this to multiple people in CID, especially since they're restructing our 12 weeks of training before we drop to DoD. That 12 weeks of training is mostly pointless because the DoD has its own OJT we do for like three months before work anyway that completely re-covers all that material. Instead, they should just teach IDW and you get it before you leave hold. Pretty Win-Win for everyone involved. DoD doesn't lose time to people hiding in conference rooms studying, Navy doesn't have to jump on anyone's back about qualing around their work schedule and sailors don't go DNQ because they had to get IDW as part of schooling. This makes too much sense though, so it's been routinely ignored.

Analogical fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 9, 2015

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Sir Lucius posted:

Analogical isn't at our command though. He ends up there TAD for months at a time which makes it kind of hard to get books signed and find partners to board with. But yea, from 0 to qualified I would say it shouldn't take more than 2 months. It's a great feeling having all that poo poo out of the way, but I definitely don't feel like I'm qualified for anything. I probably forgot everything I memorized the week after I had my final board. I can guarantee I would fail the written exam if I was tasked with taking it right now. What they should do is require you to get your pin before you can shop up. People are in holding for so long anyways, usually just loving off and dodging out of work after lunch muster.

warfare_quals.txt

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

CompTIA certs with continuing education is what's stupid and annoying. That's what DoD cares about.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Analogical posted:

I'm fine for IDW, I board next week since I've finally been at my home command for more than two months and I'm not DNQ until sometime next year as they don't count my TDY/TADs, which is over 70% of my total time here. The SP sailor situation is endemic in the other offices here though but morale is also ripped to shreds here because nobody was told they could re-enlist. I only know three people who got orders out of all the arabic linguists I know, and two are re-languages with one doing something unique for the DoD. People stopped volunteering, quit collaterals and just focused on the DoD side of the house. I know a good portion of people in FHD, CC/CFL offices who were like "Why deal with all this extra poo poo then" and deuced out.

Not the most graceful thing to do since that hurts the sailors more than the angst you have for the command, but I see where they're coming from in wanting their last 6-7 months to be as carefree as possible. I think that's why they're telling us IDW will hurt our chances of coming back in civvies.

I've said this to multiple people in CID, especially since they're restructing our 12 weeks of training before we drop to DoD. That 12 weeks of training is mostly pointless because the DoD has its own OJT we do for like three months before work anyway that completely re-covers all that material. Instead, they should just teach IDW and you get it before you leave hold. Pretty Win-Win for everyone involved. DoD doesn't lose time to people hiding in conference rooms studying, Navy doesn't have to jump on anyone's back about qualing around their work schedule and sailors don't go DNQ because they had to get IDW as part of schooling. This makes too much sense though, so it's been routinely ignored.

Pretty happy I didn't fight with my recruiter for CTI as hard I thought I should have.

Follow your heart Analogical.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Anyone else's gates using this stupid AIE poo poo? I don't get the point at all. A guard is just sitting down four feet from the automated gate now, but the gate takes twice as long to put people through.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

warfare_quals.txt

One thing nice about subs, everyone is trapped onboard with nowhere to go and nothing to do.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Null Integer posted:

One thing nice about subs, everyone is trapped onboard with nowhere to go and nothing to do.

When I was a nub and afraid to talk to people I asked my sea dad if he would help me with some general thing in the quals and he told me he forgot all that poo poo the moment he got his pin. Real confidence booster there.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

You have even less of an excuse than Analogical does. You realize we work in the same building and I know exactly where you work and have a good idea of what your schedule looks like too, right? Dude, just study the books, take the test, go to the board and get the damned qualification.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

LOL, warfare pins are dumb and everyone knows it. Just suck it up and qualify that poo poo so people don't think you're a raging shitbag. Unless that's your goal.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Unless you're about to get out then gently caress that poo poo and gently caress anyone who harasses you about it.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

buttplug posted:

You have even less of an excuse than Analogical does. You realize we work in the same building and I know exactly where you work and have a good idea of what your schedule looks like too, right? Dude, just study the books, take the test, go to the board and get the damned qualification.

Oh, I got mine a year ago, I'm just here for the bitching.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Can anyone explain to me why the Navy has laser guns, 3D phased array radar systems, real-time tactical data links etc. but all our cruise missiles are subsonic 70s era things?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Stultus Maximus posted:

Can anyone explain to me why the Navy has laser guns, 3D phased array radar systems, real-time tactical data links etc. but all our cruise missiles are subsonic 70s era things?

they spent all their r&d money on warfare pin designs

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Stultus Maximus posted:

Oh man. I literally discuss these things every day. Well, along with TLAM anyway.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

Oh, I got mine a year ago, I'm just here for the bitching.

Wtf?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

He said:

Oh, I got mine a year ago, I'm just here for the bitching. HTH

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Navy Thread: I'm just here for the bitching

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Fart Sandwiches posted:

When I was a nub and afraid to talk to people I asked my sea dad if he would help me with some general thing in the quals and he told me he forgot all that poo poo the moment he got his pin. Real confidence booster there.
Some sub qual poo poo actually sticks with you, unless you want to be the retard passing out during a fire drill because you can't find the nearest EAB manifold. :laugh:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Better step up your e-stalking game there sir. You're getting bad intel

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

drat I wish I could get a pin, maybe its just a bit of my motivated Pandasmores left that needs to be killed off like the rest.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

buttplug posted:

You have even less of an excuse than Analogical does.

Spending 250 days a year away from a NIOC and any other sailors is a pretty good excuse tbh. Especially when my remaining 100 days are not sequential.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

I still feel the same way about the IDW pin that I did before I had it. It brought me no sense of accomplishment, and the only reason I did it is so my chain wouldn't get pissed off at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Mad Dragon posted:

Some sub qual poo poo actually sticks with you, unless you want to be the retard passing out during a fire drill because you can't find the nearest EAB manifold. :laugh:

A newly qualified dude was helping all the nubs and talking about all the overhead manifolds when he noticed the toilet had one just like the overhead and decided NOW would be a good time to show that you could plug anything into a "high pressure manifold". The entirety of the san tanks filled his mask and he vomited everywhere and it was hilarious

• Locked thread