Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Thanks, is there a specific server I should join as a beginner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
KGS if you're cool with Java. Otherwise, OGS.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Alder posted:

Thanks, is there a specific server I should join as a beginner?
For beginners KGS is still the best. But it need Java.
OGS and IGS are also OK.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Apparently Java is literally Hitler to some.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

AdorableStar posted:

You had to be there to understand :v:

Gdt my HP PC had limited resources already and there was Java always asking to update every 15 minutes. I tried the other client but it tells me my ID/PW is wrong but it's not. I checked.

The world doesn't want to me play go with other people it seems.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Alder posted:

You had to be there to understand :v:

Gdt my HP PC had limited resources already and there was Java always asking to update every 15 minutes. I tried the other client but it tells me my ID/PW is wrong but it's not. I checked.

The world doesn't want to me play go with other people it seems.
There are literal console/ascii based clients for IGS. But I don't think they are still maintained.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
do you have an internet browser? then play on ogs

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

tonberrytoby posted:

There are literal console/ascii based clients for IGS. But I don't think they are still maintained.

You used to be able to connect through telnet but I think all of that got stripped out a few years ago.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

AdorableStar posted:

It just stopped working on my desktop PC after I updated. It seems that every time something changes, it's breaking down or refusing to run. The client kicks me out all the time. In short, connecting to, and staying connected to KGS is a ballache. I keep missing invites and stuff because I just want it to run consistently in the background like OGS. It says a lot about the server architecture and weird culture they have that they need to keep kicking people out all the time. Hopefully the HTML client will solve this shithouse. Oh yes the SA room got magically deleted too? I definitely enjoy rooms being randomly deleted. Maybe they needed an extra 40KB of server space for their 486 farm. We should probably update the OP

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Mar 31, 2015

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I should mention I've been using the hacked client exclusively for awhile now.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Uncle Jam posted:

You used to be able to connect through telnet but I think all of that got stripped out a few years ago.

You can still use telnet to igs.joyjoy.net 7777 to connect to IGS; all of the clients are built on the basic text-based protocol that IGS has always had. Their client-specific protocol piece support has however, as I understand it, expanded over the years to include additional features in response to other servers. That said, I don't use IGS and am probably still banned from there as a result of the old IGS/NNGS/KGS Usenet rec.games.go flamewars.

I'll get signed up for OGS, though. It looks quite nice and something browser-based. On a related front, my KGS contacts (I was an admin there for a long time) tell me there's an HTML5 KGS client in the works. I look forward to not having to go through the Java monstrosity once that finally goes live, particularly given how clunky the original KGS UI (still) is.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

tonberrytoby posted:

drat that's a shame as I loved the ascii art in some of the archives.

Anyone know if there's a andriod app for Go? I suddenly can't access my main PC anymore. Good times.

Alder fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 10, 2015

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
A dumb game I just played:

(I was Black)

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Alder posted:

drat that's a shame as I loved the ascii art in some of the archives.

Anyone know if there's a andriod app for Go? I suddenly can't access my main PC anymore. Good times.

if your android can open a browser you can play on ogs. there is also a pandanet app for android.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Xom posted:

A dumb game I just played:

(I was Black)

I guess the moral of the story is to never give up?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Well, I did think there was a lot of potential left for me to go absurdly greedy.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

came across this randomly on bandcamp. pretty intredasting...

https://bigoandtwigetti.bandcamp.com/album/go-seigen-vs-fujisawa-kuranosuke

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

o.m. 94 posted:

came across this randomly on bandcamp. pretty intredasting...

https://bigoandtwigetti.bandcamp.com/album/go-seigen-vs-fujisawa-kuranosuke

I'm not sure what it has to do with Go Seigen, but it sounds cool!

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

It has to do with Go Seigen because it's about Go Seigen. It's inspired by the 1953 championship game. I know the lyrics have to be "This song is about Go Seigen" in order for your aspergers to clock this, but I urge you to reach out beyond the limits of your imagination for a moment.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

o.m. 94 posted:

It has to do with Go Seigen because it's about Go Seigen. It's inspired by the 1953 championship game. I know the lyrics have to be "This song is about Go Seigen" in order for your aspergers to clock this, but I urge you to reach out beyond the limits of your imagination for a moment.

Being inspired by won't make it automaticaly about something; give that song to any random loving go player WITHOUT deaxription and no one will even make the samn connection. Call it inspired all you want, it's still just an instrumental piece.

Can I not say "cool piece of music" or are you too drunk right now?

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 28, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

o.m. 94 posted:

Yeah, really not sure why you had to jump straight to ableist slurs. Star wasn't even being rude to you.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
GO MAKES ME VERY ANGRY!!!! >:[

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

GO MAKES ME VERY ANGRY!!!! >:[

NUCLEAR TESUJIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII :livintrope:

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Sorry

Bad morning

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Hi

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I've been getting into OGS like mad lately, rocking like 50 correspondence speed games at a time. I made a tourney to start on the 1st and invited everyone in the goon group, hopefully I can get 9 more games going. :)

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

I'm in... let's do this

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
ive been playing on kgs recently and it turns out im way worse at go than i ever imagined. i thought i was around 10 or 11 kyu.... more like 13 or 14 kyu :'(

on the plus side i have more time to play live games now, weeee, time to get all those deaths under my belt.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

LOL OGS.
haven't seen people argue like this forever.

quote:

[23:22] delta63 [5k]: you just want to kill??
Move 134
[23:23] komoku0 [4k]: you played tenuki many
[23:23] komoku0 [4k]: times
[23:23] delta63 [5k]: looooool
[23:23] komoku0 [4k]: and showed profound disrespect for my moyo
Move 135
[23:23] komoku0 [4k]: so yes, I want to kill
Move 154
[23:24] delta63 [5k]: you are not a go player then
Move 164
[23:25] delta63 [5k]: try to improve
Move 165
[23:26] komoku0 [4k]: lol, really, you can just invade everywhere and live then
Move 169
[23:26] delta63 [5k]: you don't want to play
[23:26] komoku0 [4k]: indeed I do not, it is time you resigned
[23:27] komoku0 [4k]: thanks for the game
[23:27] delta63 [5k]: gently caress you

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
LOL OGS indeed, just gunna quote myself from last year

uranus posted:

holy moly i just got godwinned in a flipping go game for christs sake

9/2/2014
[9:35] slowfox [16k]: When you play only to chase my upper group than we can better end this game.
Move 146
[9:39] slowfox [16k]: REPLY!
Move 147
[9:39] Uranus [10k]: hmm?
[9:40] Uranus [10k]: resign if you want i guess? i dont understand
Move 148
[9:41] slowfox [16k]: I am not a jew under the nazi's running for life. This is a GO game. and there is more to do than trying to kill my group since more than 15 moves.
[9:41] slowfox [16k]: I don't play against someone who is chasing me like a jew!
[9:41] Uranus [10k]: the point of the game is to win
Move 150
[9:43] slowfox [16k]: of course. But a game is a mutual thing. I am just your opponent and not YOUR ENEMY.
[9:43] Uranus [10k]: you are reading way too much into this
[9:44] slowfox [16k]: No, your intention is yust more than a nice and good game for BOTH of us.
[9:44] Uranus [10k]: my intention is to win

i think i will make a note not to play this guy again haha

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I just had a guy say "u think too much :/" in a correspondence game. I guess he means I'm taking to long in between moves, even though for like 12 hours a day, every day, I'm addicted to checking my phone every 15 minutes and making all my moves. I dunno?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Haven't run across anyone so rude yet. The worst I had was a newbie who didn't seem to get how to play but still soldiered on to a two hour 237 point loss until he finally listened to how to end the game with consecutive passes. Nice enough fellow but just would not resign after it was clear I wasn't on his level, ie first game ever. I'm bad, so that was excruciating.

But at least he wasn't a really weird projecting antisemite.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

tonberrytoby posted:

LOL OGS.
haven't seen people argue like this forever.

Remember when you got the same person 10 times in a row and at the end he played a few moves and said eat poo poo idiot?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
pander play morrrreee

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

uranus posted:

pander play morrrreee

Okay. I'm trying to warm myself up by playing 13x13 godroid and losing HOOOOOOOORRIBLY. I thought AIs were supposed to be bad at Go?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
they win by playing so fast and tricking you into playing fast. thats my theory

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

uranus posted:

they win by playing so fast and tricking you into playing fast. thats my theory
well I also forgot literally everything I knew and kept fighting tooth and nail for like a point instead of establishing territory. I have no functional ability to attack or invade anymore.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

uranus posted:

ive been playing on kgs recently and it turns out im way worse at go than i ever imagined. i thought i was around 10 or 11 kyu.... more like 13 or 14 kyu :'(

on the plus side i have more time to play live games now, weeee, time to get all those deaths under my belt.

well maybe i spoke too soon, i've wiped the board on in my last 5 games in a row and am up to 12 kyu now. just gotta get into the swing of playing faster i guess.

i keep playing the same 2 or 3 people on kgs. seems not many people of my rank are on at the time that i play. im really eager to rank up just so i can get a game easier

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
there is literally no one of my rank on kgs so i tried tygem and that was even worse so now i play on igs. that client annoys me cause i can only choose canadian time, but at least it looks neat with the bowls of stones and stuff and i can get a game instantly and get challenges all the time if i idle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

So I have no real time or energy to play live games but who wants to hit me up on OGS for some correspondence games. Also how do I join ITGO group and the SA tourney.