Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Norns posted:

I play with the Real assists on. I figure if the real life version of the car has all the poo poo turned on when people drive them, why shouldn't I drive it that way in a Sim?
Wait, is this a setting? I could swear I only saw on and off. I do like that you can bind them to swap them on/off on the fly through so you can have them off and determine pretty quickly if you need them on (FYI to whoever asked quite awhile ago: it doesn't pop up any text telling you when you turn assists on/off, but in certain camera views the HUD does show which are enabled below the speedometer and they also flash when they're taking corrective action on your poor driving). Based on Top Gear, I'm inclined to think your average pro driver turns them off anyway if it's possible.

Seems very vehicle dependent on levels of assists necessary.

Speaking of bindings, why is DRS not bound by default for a the standard Xbox controller preset? Isn't it pretty useful for any vehicle that can use it? I feel like I should probably bind it.

Norns posted:

How come my loving Crew Chief never says poo poo?
Agreed, what the hell is his problem. Especially playing this interchangeably with Dirt Rally. A co-driver is overkill on a circuit, but boy would it be nice the first few laps before you find braking points to get you at appropriate speeds to hold a good line for turns.

I really miss the GT feature where it told you what gear to brake to for turns. It helped so much to get a feel for things without having to have the driving line on (something I refuse to do in any game because it's hideous and kills the joy of racing to just try following a fancy color line).

bUm fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
Game is more fun with the asstard line off.
Project Cars is dope as hell.
Peace y'all

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Followed this guide on PC with my Fanatec CSR Elite, and I'm really happy with it. Tried it with both the Ford Sierra Cosworth and BAC Mono. Both have seen massive improvements, the BAC Mono especially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlOdRTB4njY

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hope none of you relies on ABS thinking it'll shorten your brake path, tho, because it doesn't lock up your tires.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Just ordered a G27, only wheel available I can find here. Most stores list it out of stock too. :suicide:

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

bUm posted:

Speaking of bindings, why is DRS not bound by default for a the standard Xbox controller preset? Isn't it pretty useful for any vehicle that can use it? I feel like I should probably bind it.

It's not bound for the default G27 values either - at least that I could find

Also, after complaining bitterly about the Karts, I didn't realise that there was a second, better type of Karts waiting for me. The king is dead, long live the king. Superkarts are King.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hope none of you relies on ABS thinking it'll shorten your brake path, tho, because it doesn't lock up your tires.

Yeah, and not locking up your tires shortens the distance you need to stop. You stop a lot more quickly when you're 'actively' braking then when you lock your tires and lose grip and slide

e: You can still brake without locking your tires without abs, but yeah locking your tires is really bad.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 10, 2015

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Norns posted:

@Jabor, if you can afford the 200 bucks, the G27 is well worth the price.

Agreed, got mine used off of GutBomb.

also, this app is pretty nice https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sensadigit.dashmeterforacpc&hl=en

(I also have the versions for GTR2/RACE and rFactor 1&2)

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Yeah, Real Assist is one of the assist settings.

Also finally near the end of the supercarts season my crew chief finally decided it would be a good idea to talk to his future world champion .

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
You really need to drop your video game bravery setting down a touch to play this. Going into tight corners in an Audi R8 at 100mph just won't work here.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Norns posted:

I play with the Real assists on. I figure if the real life version of the car has all the poo poo turned on when people drive them, why shouldn't I drive it that way in a Sim?

I play with a few assists on (notably auto-clutch because braking while using the clutch makes my pedals slide forward), but a lot of those assists are turned off either because the top-tier drivers can perform better without them (true for some cars' ABS systems) or they are so fantastic that the race series bans them (traction control is verboten in F1).

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Right. It's not adding assists to any of the cars that don't already have them.

I do have a toggle for ABS that I normally turn off on cars that have it. But if the car has TCS I generally keep it on. I will play with the TCS slip a bit though.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I was worried over nothing about how the cars drive with a controller, i've just been messing around hotlapping different cars and its been fine. My busted rear end 360 pad that pulls to the left slightly works great, I think theres a few small tweaks i'd like to make with the deadzone but apart from that its fine.

Only problem is even with all assists off I dont seem to be able to lock the wheels, slamming on the brakes at 100% in the lil formula ford should definitely lock them. Apart from that the physics feel halfway between forza and assetto corsa, which I was able to play with a gamepad but it was very difficult to correct oversteer.

Its great fun just balancing the basic caterham through corners.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
If I want to play this on PS4, the best way is to buy the Digital Edition so I get both car packs, right? And there's no benefit to preordering in that case?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

If I want to play this on PS4, the best way is to buy the Digital Edition so I get both car packs, right? And there's no benefit to preordering in that case?

In the case of the American version, you can't even pre-order this. It'll be available on PSN on Tuesday.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

hopterque posted:

Yeah, and not locking up your tires shortens the distance you need to stop. You stop a lot more quickly when you're 'actively' braking then when you lock your tires and lose grip and slide
Actually, I wasn't sarcastic. I can brake faster when pumping the brake than "relying" on ABS compensating for the lack of feel in the pedal (or FFB, if you're on a bumpy piece of road, which masks feel of grip loss).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I just encountered rain for the first time and I will never delay changing tires ever again.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Are stats not saved across different PC's?

I'm playing this on my laptop and there are no records entered in Driver Network Profile despite me playing it a bit on my other PC.

Both are steam installs.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
I had a 30-lap race on Monza earlier. It started pissing down and I was forced to pit for wets when other cars started overtaking me.

While sitting in the pit my race engineer announces over the radio that the crew has lost a wheel nut and I just have to be patient. :allears:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Hello Spaceman posted:

I had a 30-lap race on Monza earlier. It started pissing down and I was forced to pit for wets when other cars started overtaking me.

While sitting in the pit my race engineer announces over the radio that the crew has lost a wheel nut and I just have to be patient. :allears:

glad to see Mercedes's racist pit stops have made it into the video game world

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Just did my first online race (PC)

Went into it not really knowing how stuff worked so went to the lobby system and had a lot of trouble actually finding a race - im not sure if it just fails because it needs a patch or if it fails a lot because I was trying to join sessions mid race and the lobby is unclear... either way I'm sure they are getting this feedback and will fix it...

so I'm pretty much picking servers at random rather than trying to cherry pick a car/track I actually know. I end up with 10 laps at Catalunya in GT3 cars - I go for the RUF

What I didn't notice until I'm on lap 3 or so is the host put time acceleration on bloody fast so it got pretty dark pretty quick.

I dont think it would bother me on a solo session but online I quickly realised the other drivers have trashed all the 200/100 yard markers so I'm leading a race and trying to relearn my breaking points.

I was using the bridge for T4 (the right hand hairpin after the long corner near the start) which was a bit late, so I did lose it which allowed P2 to sit on my back bumper.

We had an awesome battle, not sure if he had racing line on or something but as soon as it got light again I got comfortable and thought I'd win but towards the last couple of laps he obviously found an extra bit of pace and we had an awesome battle but he did bin it and lost by about 2 seconds in the end.

I saved the replay so I'll try and get that youtube'd tomorrow as it's nearly 11

But that was totally fun, seemed to be lag free and stuff too so an all round positive online experience. Obviously I know not all public racing servers are so great so I'm in the steam group and will be looking out for races usually at weekends.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Spent some time with

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22938-Jack-Spade-FFB-Tweaker-Files

Using the iRacing wheel check tool I found my deadzone for my G27 needed to be set to .16, then I started using the Fy+SopLateral Mix files listed in that post.

I was pleased before, but holy gently caress, feels like a different game now.

I'd recommend giving them a try if you're playing with a wheel.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
I gave those a shot, while also checking out the tips explained in the Inside Sim Racing tips video. While just stuffing some's folder of xml files is kind of "done and done" I feel like I'm doing a disservice to myself being part of the PC Master Race if I'm not manually tweaking all of this stuff on a car to car basis, so I went with the video info instead of the giant FFB folder route.

What I ended up with for most cars I've used so far seems pretty good. Watch the video while you are goofing with the settings and some of it starts to make some sort of sense.

The biggest thing I learned from the video is that if you want to iterate really fast with a car setup, not all tracks are good candidates because staring in a pit means you have to wait to get back to manual control before you can even get a hint as to what you just changed. If you start on something like California Highway Stage 1, you can literally hit the gas and start messing with FFB settings instantly. This isn't going to let you know exactly how rumble strips are going to feel, but it sure removes some of the frustration of not being able to actually drive right out of the menu on most circuits.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Essobie posted:

I feel like I'm doing a disservice to myself being part of the PC Master Race if I'm not manually tweaking all of this stuff on a car to car basis, so I went with the video info instead of the giant FFB folder route.
Please no. You don't owe anyone any service for participating in the PC gaming community. I own a high powered PC and have been playing PC games all my life and I expect this poo poo to work out of the box, without loving around with folders full of settings and changing XML files and having to tweak wheel settings for every individual car.

I'm looking forward to owning a wheel tomorrow but I'm not looking forward to loving around and following all these guides just so I can enjoy the game.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yeah gently caress all that.

Game feels REALLY good to me now. And I'm 100% certain some dude making huge effort posts, that owns a CS V2 wheel, is going to put way more time than I have to get stuff feeling nice.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
That's the weird thing about this game. I know it's supposed to be a game for hardcore simmers (despite the driving itself not all that simmy), with all the tweaking that you can stand, but you think they would've tweaked the FFB and all that to a high standard to begin with. People who want to tweak can go from there and change things to their hearts content, and those who just want to drive still have great FFB right out of the gate. They seem to have gone the minimal effort route expecting that everyone would want to spend hours tweaking stuff.

The same could be said of the car chassis/tire/whatever adjustments, although that's the fault of most racing games. Provide multiple pre-made presets of car setups for people that don't know anything about that sort of thing. A default one, an enhanced one, a bleeding edge but hard to control one, and an easily controllable but reduced performance one.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Exactly why I'm waiting for the PS4 release. I was debating PC vs PS4 with this game but I didn't wanna muck around with having to plug in the DS4 every time I play and getting a wheel sounds fun but setting up profiles for every car sounds miserable. I've done that enough with flight sims.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I got this after seeing toca tracks (snetteron etc) any game that has these gets bought (I have a toca touring cars addiction) and instantly thought my 360 pad isn't doing the game justice.

So a g27 is coming tomorrow! I had a dfgt for GT5, it was fun but I hated getting it ouch each time. Now I have a solid, non ikea pc desk so it should be awesome.

Any word on DLC plans? I would pay for thruxton, knockill and croft. Amazed to see Caldwell park in this!

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.
Got a gtx 970 in the mail and cant wait to give this game a shot using it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

simosimo posted:

I got this after seeing toca tracks (snetteron etc) any game that has these gets bought (I have a toca touring cars addiction) and instantly thought my 360 pad isn't doing the game justice.

So a g27 is coming tomorrow! I had a dfgt for GT5, it was fun but I hated getting it ouch each time. Now I have a solid, non ikea pc desk so it should be awesome.

Any word on DLC plans? I would pay for thruxton, knockill and croft. Amazed to see Caldwell park in this!

I'm not buying any DLC until they give me Castle Combe, but I think they're planning on releasing a lot of stuff as DLC so I'm expecting to see most of the Touring Car Championship tracks in at some point.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Popete posted:

Exactly why I'm waiting for the PS4 release. I was debating PC vs PS4 with this game but I didn't wanna muck around with having to plug in the DS4 every time I play and getting a wheel sounds fun but setting up profiles for every car sounds miserable. I've done that enough with flight sims.

Aren't the console versions identical to the PC version?

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

njsykora posted:

I'm not buying any DLC until they give me Castle Combe, but I think they're planning on releasing a lot of stuff as DLC so I'm expecting to see most of the Touring Car Championship tracks in at some point.

Ah castle Combe, I wasn't gonna mention it but what a great little track. Sort of reminds me of thruxton. Unless I'm mistaken, p.cars is the first 'commercial' finished game to include Snetteron/oulton park for a LONG time. It took a while but brands hatch is finally getting the exposure it deserves pretty regularly in games now. I'd take a million brands over silverstones.

If they do more uk tracks hopefully people will realise how fun knock hill can be. It's good to finally be out of the rfactor-mods-or bust era!

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Guys, it's really not asking you much to tweak the FFB settings to suit your individual wheels, of which there are like 15 different types from varying brands. No developer is going to sit down and customize a FFB profile for each and every wheel that you're still not going to like at release anyway. Get over it and find the settings you like. It's really not that hard, they even included descriptions of what each setting does. Be thankful you can actually tweak this poo poo to an infinite degree unlike most other racing games.

You really do not have to set it up for each car either. Some lighter cars may require it, but I haven't had to touch the settings on larger cars like saloons. The main FFB settings did enough for that. Even then if I do need to change individual car FFB, it's one slider that multiplies all the rest. Took me 20 minutes to get wheel settings I like which apply across the whole game basically.

Sure having to redo it all for xbox/ps4 controllers sucks, but you get very little sympathy from me and reviews become null and void if you're not using a wheel for this.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 09:21 on May 11, 2015

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

simosimo posted:

Ah castle Combe, I wasn't gonna mention it but what a great little track. Sort of reminds me of thruxton. Unless I'm mistaken, p.cars is the first 'commercial' finished game to include Snetteron/oulton park for a LONG time. It took a while but brands hatch is finally getting the exposure it deserves pretty regularly in games now. I'd take a million brands over silverstones.

If they do more uk tracks hopefully people will realise how fun knock hill can be. It's good to finally be out of the rfactor-mods-or bust era!

Sorta related, but whatever was that one track they used for the entirety of Forza 2's first cup, assuming it was a real place? It seemed pretty good, combined with interchangeable stuff. I think it also had snake names like Diamondback and King Cobra or some poo poo like that.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

widespread posted:

Sorta related, but whatever was that one track they used for the entirety of Forza 2's first cup, assuming it was a real place? It seemed pretty good, combined with interchangeable stuff. I think it also had snake names like Diamondback and King Cobra or some poo poo like that.

Those tracks were not real. Also they were the worst.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Cubey posted:

Those tracks were not real. Also they were the worst.

Yeah, my memory's hosed. I don't even remember how they were at all, just the idea and poo poo. Ah well, at least they're not real.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

widespread posted:

Yeah, my memory's hosed. I don't even remember how they were at all, just the idea and poo poo. Ah well, at least they're not real.

There were a few variants that were alright, but most were bad. Turn 10 also said that those tracks were completely and totally outsourced, which explains why their layouts are so much different than the more sweeping, fast tracks that Turn 10 comes up with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z9u0mbQE8o

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

We'll never have Maple Valley in pCARS. FM4's version was amazing. (but we do have Monaco, and Brands, and...)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

simosimo posted:

I've never seen Snetterton or Oulton Park before having played a LOT of racing games and Oulton Park especially is one I really like. Though my first race on it was with Caterhams which are endless fun to throw around. Castle Combe was in one game, either a Gran Turismo or GRID or possibly as far back as Race Driver 3. I know I've raced on it before, as I love how fast most of the track is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Cubey posted:

There were a few variants that were alright, but most were bad. Turn 10 also said that those tracks were completely and totally outsourced, which explains why their layouts are so much different than the more sweeping, fast tracks that Turn 10 comes up with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z9u0mbQE8o

It's certainly a good explanation. Good god, that track layout seems... not-too-bueno. ESPECIALLY for the kinds of cars you'd be stuck with.

LiquidRain posted:

We'll never have Maple Valley in pCARS. FM4's version was amazing. (but we do have Monaco, and Brands, and...)

Now, I think I've seen this one? Not sure. Was it a staple in some series or...?

• Locked thread