Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Let's just go whole hog with this then.

Ahahahah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Ok so what chapter does this series hit its stride at? It's not really grabbing me at the moment, but I also remember One Piece not getting rocking till Barate so I'm willing to give it some wiggle room.

Every decent Shounen has that one story arc where things start to 'gel' together and I could use some pointers on where to find it

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Eh, the first chapter pretty much. If you don't like Deku, All Might, the humor and the artstyle immediately, this probably just isn't for you.

I guess you should give it until the Yuuei entrance exam?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
If you don't like it by Chapter 8 AKA Ferocity of a loving Nerd, then it's probably not for you.

EDIT: Basically the whole chapter 8-10 fight should give you an idea probably.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 11, 2015

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Parrotine posted:

Ok so what chapter does this series hit its stride at? It's not really grabbing me at the moment, but I also remember One Piece not getting rocking till Barate so I'm willing to give it some wiggle room.

Every decent Shounen has that one story arc where things start to 'gel' together and I could use some pointers on where to find it

This thing is less than a year old, you can read the totality of in in a couple of hours at most. For me it was interesting by page 5 or so.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I remember reading the first chapter out of idle curiosity. It really wasn't until the second chapter I got invested in anyone or anything, so I don't blame anybody who read the first and thought "Eh."

That said, if you're looking for a specific story arc, I feel like current Sports Festival storyline is a pretty good indicator of whether or not the series is for you.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Pyronic posted:

I could have sworn early in the manga that all-might told him that he had way more time to prepare his body and practice with the power so he didn't do dumb poo poo like breaking every bone in his hand repeatedly, but Midoriya was so set on getting into the school that they had to do as much as possible before the entrance exam so he wouldn't just kill himself instantly.

At least from a quick re-read the "Aim to Pass! American Dream" plan's purpose was to get Izuku to the point where having and using his new quirk wouldn't be instantly fatal. The later revision was to adjust to how even back then Izuku was overdoing it. But given that we see him still doing exercises idly, there's also a part of it where he continues so as to better aid the adaption or over the ten months it just became that much of a habit.

FH_Meta fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 7, 2015

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Allarion posted:

If you don't like it by Chapter 8 AKA Ferocity of a loving Nerd, then it's probably not for you.

EDIT: Basically the whole chapter 8-10 fight should give you an idea probably.

I would second this. Midoriya vs Bakugou is probably the high point of the series for me so far, though the rest of it hasn't exactly been too far below. But I was pretty much on board the second All Might's secret was revealed.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

My favorite arc so far is the interrupted Trial of Rescue. It had a lot of cool moments, it shook up expectations a bit what with who Deku teamed up with, and the tension was great.

But mostly because of Tsuyu.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

If You don't like this by the conclusion of the Rescue Trial arc than you simply won't like it at all and also I'll wonder if you are broken somehow.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Either the combat trial, or the rescue trial. I could see the opening not really grabbing some people.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

I would second this. Midoriya vs Bakugou is probably the high point of the series for me so far, though the rest of it hasn't exactly been too far below. But I was pretty much on board the second All Might's secret was revealed.

Ok, i'll stick it out to chapter 10. Big thanks fellas!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Volume 3 omake.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh, so the principal is just an animal with a quirk. I guess he's like Chopper.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really love the posters and advertisements featuring heroes on the covers and hope later on there's more opportunity to see the seedy business side of the hero stuff, like with the girl who used the tournament to hock her inventions.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I am willing to accept Fumikage as Kohei's gold standard for coolness.

I appreciate that he's resolved himself to try and work in as many supporting cast members into the limelight as possible.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Seems like Horikoshi really likes drawing sneakers. I think it's cute; it's like Toriyama and his obsession with motorbikes.

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh, so the principal is just an animal with a quirk. I guess he's like Chopper.
Well that answers my one burning question. Cool.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Everything Burrito posted:

I really love the posters and advertisements featuring heroes on the covers and hope later on there's more opportunity to see the seedy business side of the hero stuff, like with the girl who used the tournament to hock her inventions.

Calling it seedy seems a little unfair since, to most of the population of the manga, being a hero is literally just another job. A more vital one than many perhaps, but not the calling it is in many other stories and Deku. And they have families and bills and poo poo to take care of, and want to have nice things like anyone else. Most cops, firemen, doctors etc would do advertising if given the chance, just to help pay the bills and poo poo.

I hadn't even noticed any of the adverts before, but thought Midnight selling perfume was fun and yea, I hope we get a bit more insight in to that side of things later on in the manga, since it's not a subject most hero stories ever touch on.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Probably a more interesting aspect, though perhaps overplayed by most depictions of a similar concept, would be the kinds of heroes who see the matter as business first, actually helping people second. I dunno, maybe some heroes work like the original systems of the fire brigade, only responding to protect people and property that have actually paid for their protection.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Bad Seafood posted:

I am willing to accept Fumikage as Kohei's gold standard for coolness.

I appreciate that he's resolved himself to try and work in as many supporting cast members into the limelight as possible.

I almost wanted a little more backstory to Fumikage there, but Kohei thinking he's the coolest is great.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Fumikage is legit cool and I hope his backstory is he's just a humble dude who became cool because he has a quirk that can be difficult to control when it gets to be a huge shadow.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Raws for the next chapter have been released - http://www.ishuhui.com/archives/373907

Things are getting interesting.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hm, someone who's read the raws, can you tell us the Fallen Angels group compares to PowerManga's translations? The former certainly read more naturally, like they go through more effort to localize it, and generally "sound" better, but there are a few areas where the latter differs and seems more... Right? Like, in the latest translated chapter, the former has Iida saying his brother called him but was working, while the latter says he called his brother but his brother couldn't talk/answer because he's working; given what we see later in the chapter (Ingenium's phone had an incoming/missed call from Iida, I believe) and the general descriptions there I think PowerManga's version is the accurate one.

This isn't the only place things like that happen, either. While Fallen Angels seem like much better localizers and I prefer reading their translations, it seems like they make weird mistakes and mistranslations like that fairly frequently; sometimes it's minor stuff I won't notice until a second or third read of the chapter or when I check out the other translation out of curiosity, but there are also times I'll stare at the page on the first read through and go "...That doesn't seem right". Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed this sort of thing?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Roland Jones posted:

Hm, someone who's read the raws, can you tell us the Fallen Angels group compares to PowerManga's translations? The former certainly read more naturally, like they go through more effort to localize it, and generally "sound" better, but there are a few areas where the latter differs and seems more... Right? Like, in the latest translated chapter, the former has Iida saying his brother called him but was working, while the latter says he called his brother but his brother couldn't talk/answer because he's working; given what we see later in the chapter (Ingenium's phone had an incoming/missed call from Iida, I believe) and the general descriptions there I think PowerManga's version is the accurate one.

This isn't the only place things like that happen, either. While Fallen Angels seem like much better localizers and I prefer reading their translations, it seems like they make weird mistakes and mistranslations like that fairly frequently; sometimes it's minor stuff I won't notice until a second or third read of the chapter or when I check out the other translation out of curiosity, but there are also times I'll stare at the page on the first read through and go "...That doesn't seem right". Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed this sort of thing?

The official translation is his brother called him, but he was working, so Fallen Angels got it right. Iida probably called his brother again after losing the match.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Allarion posted:

The official translation is his brother called him, but he was working, so Fallen Angels got it right. Iida probably called his brother again after losing the match.

Ah, interesting. That's not the only place I was wondering if Fallen Angels was right, but thanks for the info there.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

tsob posted:

Calling it seedy seems a little unfair since, to most of the population of the manga, being a hero is literally just another job. A more vital one than many perhaps, but not the calling it is in many other stories and Deku. And they have families and bills and poo poo to take care of, and want to have nice things like anyone else. Most cops, firemen, doctors etc would do advertising if given the chance, just to help pay the bills and poo poo.

I hadn't even noticed any of the adverts before, but thought Midnight selling perfume was fun and yea, I hope we get a bit more insight in to that side of things later on in the manga, since it's not a subject most hero stories ever touch on.

Also, we can now see that she is indeed wearing pinkish tights and is not naked :cheeky:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

http://bato.to/read/_/321358/boku-no-hero-academia_ch42_by_powermanga

Look a chapter

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Hero slayer has a pretty rad design.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Stain is straight out of ninja turtles

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Allarion posted:

Hero slayer has a pretty rad design.

He would be voiced by Steve Blum.

Also god drat Bakugou rules.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I was worried for a minute they were gonna interrupt the tournament. Glad they didn't as that would've been a major cop-out (though I guess they still might).

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Didn't one of Bakugou's profile pages mention that he can't generate explosions if he can't sweat? like in cold environments, for example?

I'm assuming this isn't going to go well for him.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Bakugou vs Tokoyami fight went about how I expected. That was a hard matchup for Tokoyami, jeez.

Also apparently Shigaraki's recruiting tough villains, rather than the mooks he got before. Stain seems like exactly the sort of guy that his weird philosophy will attract, too.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Bakugou confirmed best character.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I really want Bakugou to win because he's my favorite character, but this just seems like a bad matchup for him. Plus I imagine they're going to give him the loss so he can have character development or something. Would rather if he got development mid-match and still won though, if nothing else because Todoroki is gonna get a bit boring if he keeps winning every time.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Eh, I think Todoroki "deserves" the win. He's had a lot of growth during the tournament while Bakugou, while still different from how he was at the start, is still spinning in place at times.

I also don't think Bakugou is as countered in terms of quirks as some of you believe. His explosions work basically the same way Deku fought Todoroki, except without the massive drawbacks. If Todoroki was still only using ice then he wouldn't stand a chance.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Kinda hoping Todoroki goes back to sticking with ice for this fight. It'd be a good, subtle way to indicate he doesn't consider Bakugou to be on the same level as Deku.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Bakugou confirmed best character.

I kind of thought his rear end in a top hat-ishness would diminish over time, but it keeps getting stronger.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Say Nothing posted:

I kind of thought his rear end in a top hat-ishness would diminish over time, but it keeps getting stronger.

I think he genuinely is becoming less of an rear end in a top hat, he's just still acting like one. Like on page 18 he's saying he doesn't give a poo poo about Deku's thing about giving speeches to his rivals, but the page also shows him flashing back to a time where he most definitely gave a poo poo. Like I don't know, I could just be reading waaaay too deep here but I think there's probably a point in showing him remembering that scene while saying that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Kinda hoping Todoroki goes back to sticking with ice for this fight. It'd be a good, subtle way to indicate he doesn't consider Bakugou to be on the same level as Deku.

If he does I hope he gets owned. You guys aren't giving enough Bakugou enough credit. His quirk is nearly as strong, he's great at using it, and he's a super smart fighter. I want to see him win it and then get royally pissed when Deku isn't cowed by it at all.