Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

Simmons will go to NBC Sports and they'll make an outrageous NBA bid during the negotiations next year. He'll get to do NBA and WWE and Olympics poo poo.
The government should intervene to get the NBA back on NBC just so we can hear that song again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

I assume Bill Simmons will handle this with the grace and dignity we all expect from a disgruntled Bill Simmons

Yes I really hope so

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I hope he gets a new podcast and just spews as much poo poo as he can about what goes on behind the scenes at ESPN. It would be a great listen.

For more insight into his leaving, James Andrew Miller's Twitter feed is a good source. Takes about how he wanted more staff for Grantland but was not give it and had issues with their NBA coverage.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

this whole situation reminds me of the episode of 90210 when

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Crazy Ted posted:

The government should intervene to get the NBA back on NBC just so we can hear that song again.

The lack of Roundball Rock in today's NBA is the greatest of David Stern's many, many crimes against basketball.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
does the nbc have room for basketball? kinda curious how they'd do the playoffs at the same time as the nhl

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

does the nbc have room for basketball? kinda curious how they'd do the playoffs at the same time as the nhl

I was kind of tempted to have a dream scenario of ESPN and NBC switching league coverages.

But I don't recall if ESPN's coverage of the NHL was good or not. I do know that Gary Thorne owns, and the ESPN on NHL theme song is awesome. Bad thing would be the lack of Doc Emrick...

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The exile the NHL to wherever they needed to to make room but they're not gonna outbid ESPN anyway so I dunno that it matters

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

MourningView posted:

The exile the NHL to wherever they needed to to make room but they're not gonna outbid ESPN anyway so I dunno that it matters

ya i mean they'd love to have the nba instead but i would think a lot of that stuff is in their huge contract

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I was trying to do a mental check on who they lost and all I could come up with is Emily Yoshida to the verge, Jay Caspian Kang to writer at large, and Tess Lynch. This was over a staggered period as well.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

midwat posted:

Them thinking they could keep the BS Report - which is just Simmons and another guest, usually a friend of his - while getting rid of Simmons just strikes me as perfectly ESPN.

"Next on the BS Report, Cousin Sal guesses the lines with unnamed ESPN drone #421."

The BS Report, with Jason "Big Sexy" Whitlock.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

My guess is they'd either outbid Turner for their package or there'd be a third TV partner which would mean more money for the NBA.

I don't see ESPN not being involved, but who knows.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The NBA just renewed their deals with ESPN/TNT, so I'm not sure what you guys are talking about

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

ESPN actually thinking they can still do the BS Report is loving hilarious. The thing I'll miss most is the weekly Guess the Lines with Sal. Sure, the Friday NFL column will surely move to wherever he goes (assuming Goodell hasn't had him assassinated by then) but I just can't imagine Cousin Sal will follow thanks to how deep Kimmel is involved with ABC/ESPN/Disney. I love Cousin Sal :(

This whole situation has me reflecting on how long I've been reading his stuff. poo poo, I've been looking forward to the Friday NFL column each week since I was in high school. I'm getting old.

So there is no way Simmons finishes out his ESPN contract now, right? I wouldn't be shocked if the next statement Simmons makes is the world's longest (and most scathing) resignation letter. I just can't see him doing much if any more work for the company after that big FU. The Christmas thing is also really lovely.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

The Christmas thing is also really lovely.
I'm not 100% convinced it was intentional. Corporate payroll departments, especially for giant companies like ESPN/Disney, move very slowly. Ever started a job and had to wait two or three pay periods before your direct deposit kicked in, even though you brought a cancelled check with you on your first day? Ever submit receipts for reimbursement and wait months before the money hit your paycheck?

As for finishing out his contract, I can't imagine he'd walk away for 4 months of paychecks (total value: $1.6 million). It's also a contract - he can't unilaterally break it and go work somewhere else. He'll go into minimal effort mode and spend all his time on his job search, and the day his contract expires he'll start work for his new gig, probably with a sweet signing bonus.

FMguru fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 11, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

I was kind of tempted to have a dream scenario of ESPN and NBC switching league coverages.

But I don't recall if ESPN's coverage of the NHL was good or not. I do know that Gary Thorne owns, and the ESPN on NHL theme song is awesome. Bad thing would be the lack of Doc Emrick...

It was never that great. "National Hockey Night" was one, maaayyybe two nights a week, and even when they did cover the NHL, it never got much coverage on SportsCenter.

Much as I also love Gary, I think he's pretty much just doing baseball in Baltimore these days, He did still call the Frozen Four for a while then they gave it to John Buccigross, who is 100% awful. Bill Clement does color commentary on CSN for Philadelphia Flyers games every once in a while, Steve Levy is pretty much just a Sportscenter studio guy these days, and Barry Melrose tries his damndest to cover for Bucci as color commentator on the Frozen Four.

E: Gary Thorne is 66 now too and he might just want to stick to baseball.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Gary really was the best. He and Bill worked so well together and games felt so much bigger with them on the mic. Hell, I still love his work despite the fact that one of his most famous calls is also the single worst sports moment of my life. The Yzerman shot.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
My favorite ESPN hockey guy was Tom Mees :smith:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

My favorite ESPN hockey guy was Tom Mees :smith:

I miss him too, dude was great :smith::respek::smith:

E: Berman's eulogy of him was just heartbreaking

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

DJExile posted:

It was never that great. "National Hockey Night" was one, maaayyybe two nights a week, and even when they did cover the NHL, it never got much coverage on SportsCenter.

Much as I also love Gary, I think he's pretty much just doing baseball in Baltimore these days, He did still call the Frozen Four for a while then they gave it to John Buccigross, who is 100% awful. Bill Clement does color commentary on CSN for Philadelphia Flyers games every once in a while, Steve Levy is pretty much just a Sportscenter studio guy these days, and Barry Melrose tries his damndest to cover for Bucci as color commentator on the Frozen Four.

I think he also does the LLWS, which is about as cushy a national gig as you can get.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

FMguru posted:

I'm not 100% convinced it was intentional. Corporate payroll departments, especially for giant companies like ESPN/Disney, move very slowly. Ever started a job and had to wait two or three pay periods before your direct deposit kicked in, even though you brought a cancelled check with you on your first day? Ever submit receipts for reimbursement and wait months before the money hit your paycheck?

As for finishing out his contract, I can't imagine he'd walk away for 4 months of paychecks (total value: $1.6 million). It's also a contract - he can't unilaterally break it and go work somewhere else. He'll go into minimal effort mode and spend all his time on his job search, and the day his contract expires he'll start work for his new gig, probably with a sweet signing bonus.

I work for the mouse, the is 100% true it took me like a month just to get my remote access credential to do expenses remotely.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

C. Everett Koop posted:

For all the shots they've taken at him, how much would Deadspin pay for Simmons' inevitable Ether column? 50K? 100K?

my guess is ESPN will release BS from his contract early with some settlement + he can't talk poo poo about ESPN.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Geno posted:

my guess is ESPN will release BS from his contract early with some settlement + he can't talk poo poo about ESPN.

Simmons seems like the dude who'd finish out his contract specifically so he could talk poo poo about them later.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

So deadspin said there's a rumor Colin Cowherd wants to leave to do political radio? Good riddance. I couldn't actually find an article about this aside from them mentioning the topic in their deadcast.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Simmons is almost certainly going to talk poo poo

e: Cowherd and Simmons out leaves the ESPN radio realm in tatters. Those guys were probably their two biggest gets outside of Scott Van Pelt

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

DJExile posted:

Al Michaels is 70. Verne Lundquist is 74. Brent Musburger (who I dislike but whatever) is 75. The broadcaster you, personally, like is old.

What I'm saying is we're stuck with Joe Buck for 35 more years.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
So, yeah, anyone hoping for Simmons to do an ESPN bashing guest column or something for Deadspin, don't hold your breath.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Badfinger posted:

Al Michaels is 70. Verne Lundquist is 74. Brent Musburger (who I dislike but whatever) is 75. The broadcaster you, personally, like is old.

What I'm saying is we're stuck with Joe Buck for 35 more years.

Also Dick Enberg is in his 80's and he still does Padre games.

I remember ABC had NHL and NBA rights earlier last decade, but it was obvious which one they wanted to keep

DJExile posted:

I miss him too, dude was great :smith::respek::smith:

E: Berman's eulogy of him was just heartbreaking

You know he meant a lot when Berman still brings him up constantly many years later.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

this criticism lacks any kind of depth in perspective. he's a bad writer because he's not versatile, but (in the context of the article) he's a good writer because he writes about sports in a way that the layman can relate to and laugh about. I don't get the people that want him to be like David loving Foster Wallace, he's served his purpose at ESPN for 15 years by driving viewers to the site and, in the past couple years, radically changed the culture of their audience with Grantland and 30 for 30. Reflecting on his reign as anything but a triumph for his employer is missing the point.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Also ESPN has their upfronts tomorrow so if Cowherd is gone we'll hear it soon. Like Mike and Mike is going to now broadcast out of Manhattan and add a woman:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2015/05/11/Media/Mike-and-Mike.aspx

Yes, it's becoming Mike and Mike and Molly

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Akileese posted:

So deadspin said there's a rumor Colin Cowherd wants to leave to do political radio? Good riddance.

Deadspin put it well.

quote:

no one outside of Colin Cowherd could possibly think that Colin loving Cowherd is worth $6 million a year. Colin Cowherd was a nobody until ESPN plucked him out of obscurity and pushed him into every local market in America, without America asking for him. A talking llama would get the same goddamn ratings, or perhaps do even better.

Vertical Lime posted:

I remember ABC had NHL and NBA rights earlier last decade, but it was obvious which one they wanted to keep

There was a two-year overlap when ABC had the NHL and NBA - 2002-03 and 2003-04. Once ABC acquired the NBA, the NHL was minimized more than ever.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

straight up brolic posted:

Simmons is almost certainly going to talk poo poo

e: Cowherd and Simmons out leaves the ESPN radio realm in tatters. Those guys were probably their two biggest gets outside of Scott Van Pelt
Dan LeBetard's show beats all of them in my book :colbert:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Vertical Lime posted:

Also ESPN has their upfronts tomorrow so if Cowherd is gone we'll hear it soon. Like Mike and Mike is going to now broadcast out of Manhattan and add a woman:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2015/05/11/Media/Mike-and-Mike.aspx

Yes, it's becoming Mike and Mike and Molly

quote:

ESPN insiders are looking to tweak the show to ensure that it does not become stale.

How could anyone think two featureless dolts endlessly repeating the name of their show could possibly grow stale?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

straight up brolic posted:

this criticism lacks any kind of depth in perspective. he's a bad writer because he's not versatile, but (in the context of the article) he's a good writer because he writes about sports in a way that the layman can relate to and laugh about. I don't get the people that want him to be like David loving Foster Wallace, he's served his purpose at ESPN for 15 years by driving viewers to the site and, in the past couple years, radically changed the culture of their audience with Grantland and 30 for 30. Reflecting on his reign as anything but a triumph for his employer is missing the point.

He really doesn't though. It's right on that his shtick hasn't changed in 15 years but his access has. poo poo he talks about isn't particularly relatable to me, and wasn't ever particularly something I was attempting to strive to be. The perception of who he is also changes his writing. I remember being enamored with him writing about the Patriots winning the Super Bowl. Boston sports being an absolute powerhouse for the last decade plus is extremely bad for him in his writing, because instead of sad douche he's now incredibly entitled douche. Putting so much into showing who you are as a person through the writing is what made him, but also hurts him badly.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Geno posted:

Yeah, if you think Simmons is going to sign anything that will prevent him from poo poo-talking then I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you. He'll run on sheer spite.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Badfinger posted:

He really doesn't though. It's right on that his shtick hasn't changed in 15 years but his access has. poo poo he talks about isn't particularly relatable to me, and wasn't ever particularly something I was attempting to strive to be. The perception of who he is also changes his writing. I remember being enamored with him writing about the Patriots winning the Super Bowl. Boston sports being an absolute powerhouse for the last decade plus is extremely bad for him in his writing, because instead of sad douche he's now incredibly entitled douche. Putting so much into showing who you are as a person through the writing is what made him, but also hurts him badly.
If Simmons isn't relatable to you (he's not really to me either) then you aren't the target audience. I'd be willing to wager that he gets more traffic than anyone else on ESPN and he's brought all his old readers over to Grantland, so he's clearly been successful as a writer from a business perspective. The 'art of writing' is meaningless here.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Akileese posted:

So deadspin said there's a rumor Colin Cowherd wants to leave to do political radio? Good riddance. I couldn't actually find an article about this aside from them mentioning the topic in their deadcast.

Wingnut welfare is strong.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's a big name, but as much as I like Grantland it's generally been kind of a flop from a business perspective, and he was trying to push them to add even more stuff like the basketball TV show they have that no one watches.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

MourningView posted:

He's a big name, but as much as I like Grantland it's generally been kind of a flop from a business perspective, and he was trying to push them to add even more stuff like the basketball TV show they have that no one watches.

I'd say in his defense, assuming this was not done by his design, is that the Grantland Basketball Hour is on at random dates. If I didn't see it announced on Twitter I would never watch it live or I would end up being surprised when I saw it on my DVR. I can't think of any other show on TV that airs on different days at random points of the year.

I am also guessing the he will not be involved with the draft this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Akileese posted:

looks like ESPN wanted Cowherd to cover some e-sports on his radio