Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Since when is Miss Arbitrary considered a good ruler?

Anyway, I think it's a weird move to let the non-character live (Greyworm) and have the important and developed character with motivations die, especially when the ending of the previous episode set up a reverse outcome.

I don't think it's fair to call Greyworm a non-character. He's stoic, yeah, but we've seen him slowly developing from a stoic soldier into an individual, with a potential romantic relationship.

And the ending of the last episode definitely set up Barristan up to die. He even got the canned last appearance speech before he nobly sacrificed himself to save the day. No way was he going to live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

tryion was heading toward the queen anyway. Way to get your arm hosed up, idiot.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Could've tagged along with Tyrion and Varys in their sweet wheelhouse. Instead, stranded in the middle of nowhere with a virulent disease. Jorah just can't stop loving up.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Dr. Pancakes posted:

Well it was pretty much at his hand level and we already had one main character lose his hand no problem. It was his left hand also so less of a disadvantage.

That was a good clean cut by an able bodied man and Jaime still nearly died until Medieval Dr. Mengele stepped in. Having some drunk concussed dwarf [who doesn't like you much] do the job probably won't go so well.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Jerusalem posted:

Last week I was concerned because Stannis was being dad of the year with Shireen and I thought that meant bad things for Shireen. But this episode Stannis was basically being like the best King you could possibly hope for - encouraging Sam's study in order to find an effective method of dealing with the White Walkers, actually understanding the White Walkers are a real threat, giving Jon those ships even though he's not entirely sure he'll get them back, because he's actually taking a long term view beyond,"I wanna be King!" which immediately puts him at first-equal with Dany as far as ruling goes, even if they both make plenty of mistakes on the way.

So NOW I'm concerned that Stannis is heading for death, because I can't believe a guy who actually looks like he might be an effective, quality King AND a good (if distant) father is actually going to get anything but absolutely hosed. Hopefully he allows Melisandre to do something unspeakably evil in the next episode or two to make him a bit more of a bastard.

Stannis and Dany tied for best ruler? Is the metric "likelihood of setting people on fire with little provocation"? The best ruler we've seen is Tyrion, and it's not even that close. I'd honestly give second place to Robert, whose main regal trait was 'not doing anything' .

Stannis being against the whitewalkers makes me question whether the whitewalkers are really bad.

spite house posted:

I'm just so glad that Grey Worm isn't dead and got to smooch on Missandei a little bit. Poor dude has been through it and deserves a little.

He deserves to have his loving leadership revoked; that fight was an embarrassment.

steinrokkan posted:

Anyway, I think it's a weird move to let the non-character live (Greyworm) and have the important and developed character with motivations die, especially when the ending of the previous episode set up a reverse outcome.

Grey Worm was an established character with a weird nonsense romance built around him. Selmy character was always really one dimensional: "I am really tragically bad at King's guarding, but drat if I am not into it," and being one day from retirement really didn't bode well for him. Hell, he only vaguely got more interesting hen he had to say the stuff Jorah would've (ie "hey what if you weren't a psycho, your grace")

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

steinrokkan posted:

Since when is Miss Arbitrary considered a good ruler?

Bobo the Red posted:

Stannis and Dany tied for best ruler? Is the metric "likelihood of setting people on fire with little provocation"?

Dany and Stannis are so far the only actual rulers (Tyrion may have been getting poo poo done, but he wasn't the King, neither was Tywin or Ned or Davos, and nor is Cersei currently even though she thinks she is) who appear to be taking a longer term view of ruling. Robb was concerned about winning battles and strategic position, even though he knew that his military victories weren't actually accomplishing much, and he couldn't even hold on to his own hometown because he was too deeply committed to the short term view of putting pressure on the Lannisters. Renly seemed to be treating the entire thing as a performance. Joffrey was only concerned with being a oval office. Robert held the Kingdoms together on the strength of his reputation/good PR, he let the place go to hell on his watch because he was too busy sulking about past glories and lost loves. Viserys was so short-sighted and convinced of his own divine right to rule that he had no grasp of how perilous his situation was. Tommen is an adorable and kind-hearted boy who is completely out of his depth.

I didn't say they were GOOD rulers, but that they're probably the best that can be had of the current crop, and could actually be effective, quality rulers even in spite of some of the cruel actions they take. By actually taking a longer term view they're proving that they're actually willing to accept their actions have consequences which need to be considered - at the moment Dany probably moreso than Stannis who is still willing to do anything and everything to ensure he gets what he believes is his by right.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Dinner with Boltons, the most awkward food movie this year.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

The Sand Snakes are trashy as hell and dumb too. I hope Bronn kills them all so that that guy from DS9 can keep ruling in peace.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Azazell0 posted:

Dinner with Boltons, the most awkward food movie this year.

I was kinda half-hoping that Sansa was just going to roll her eyes at Ramsey and be bored at the obviousness of the whole thing with using Reek to get a rise from her because she's basically numb to that bullshit now after Joffrey, but her little smile when Roose announced with great pleasure that Walda was pregnant and it was gonna be a boy was great.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Disgusting Coward posted:

Medieval Dr. Mengele

I really, really need to know what he's cooking up in his lab.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

In It For The Tank posted:

Amputation does work... but only sometimes. Jorah probably doesn't want to risk it. He may be doomed but it's a slow death, he has years before ends up like the stone men of Valyria.

It's weird that its such a slow death, but it apparently can be contracted and spreads several inches within what....15 minutes?

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Daenerys is the villain of the show.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Junkfist posted:

This for real.

I had a moment where I felt bad for Jorah, then I remembered he's frankly kind of dumb, and defined primarily by creeping on a girl less than half his age. Hope the greyscale works out. Or doesn't. Or whatever.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bobo the Red posted:

Stannis and Dany tied for best ruler? Is the metric "likelihood of setting people on fire with little provocation"? The best ruler we've seen is Tyrion, and it's not even that close. I'd honestly give second place to Robert, whose main regal trait was 'not doing anything' .

Stannis being against the whitewalkers makes me question whether the whitewalkers are really bad.

Stannis did nothing wrong.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The Dorne FDR is the best leader. This show needs more Dorne.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Jerusalem posted:

So NOW I'm concerned that Stannis is heading for death, because I can't believe a guy who actually looks like he might be an effective, quality King AND a good (if distant) father is actually going to get anything but absolutely hosed. Hopefully he allows Melisandre to do something unspeakably evil in the next episode or two to make him a bit more of a bastard.

Yeah, and now he is marching towards a very capable fighter that is laying low and whose life mission includes killing him. :ohdear:

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Dantu posted:

Yeah, and now he is marching towards a very capable fighter that is laying low and whose life mission includes killing him. :ohdear:

Yeah, I'm kinda worried about this. Flaws and all, Stannis is the only leader, outside of John Snow, who gives two shits about the White Walkers and their zombie horde.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
by the time Jorah gets back to Dany he will be stonemad and she will be targmad and they will share a poignant reconciliation with gutteral howls and wildfire

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Khal Drogo would not have let any of this bullshit happen

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

"Now it's going to take us a long time to get there" is the Game of Thrones-iest thing.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Junkfist posted:

Extending on that, I think every source of magic in the GoT universe is evil. Aligned with Fire we have the God of Light, his zealots who like to burn people alive, a lineage of mad rulers who like to burn people alive, Dragons who like to burn people alive and eat them, shadowspawns, sacrifices and offerings to kill people.

Aligned with Ice we have the winter which apparently lasts years and is horrifying, magic zombies, magic mummies that can create zombies, and also human sacrifices for the magic mummies.

The other source of Magic we've seen comes from the Many-Faced God that is worshiped by assassins who sacrificed their personality to get better at killing, and the tree guys at the North who I'm pretty sure are going to do some horrible crap soon enough.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Elentor posted:

and also human sacrifices for the magic mummies.
If you're referring to Craster's sons, sacrifice implies dying and I didn't see no fucker get dead.

Looked more like a recruitment drive to me.

Junkfist posted:

You can tell by the occasional crazy look in her eyes that she definitely got the barmy gene, and she sure as gently caress loves lighting people on fire. The apple didn't fall too far did it?

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 11, 2015

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tooterfish posted:

If you're referring to Craster's sons, sacrifice implies dying and I didn't see no fucker get dead.

You can tell by the occasional crazy look in her eyes that she definitely got the barmy gene, and she sure as gently caress loves lighting people on fire. The apple didn't fall too far did it?

Don't they have to die first? Hence why they tell you to burn the bodies of the dead.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm really bummed out about Jorah. It's 100% about how good an actor Iain Glen is.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tooterfish posted:

Its the eyebrows.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Elentor posted:

Don't they have to die first? Hence why they tell you to burn the bodies of the dead.
Craster's sons don't die.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Jerusalem posted:

Dany and Stannis are so far the only actual rulers (Tyrion may have been getting poo poo done, but he wasn't the King, neither was Tywin or Ned or Davos, and nor is Cersei currently even though she thinks she is) who appear to be taking a longer term view of ruling. Robb was concerned about winning battles and strategic position, even though he knew that his military victories weren't actually accomplishing much, and he couldn't even hold on to his own hometown because he was too deeply committed to the short term view of putting pressure on the Lannisters. Renly seemed to be treating the entire thing as a performance. Joffrey was only concerned with being a oval office. Robert held the Kingdoms together on the strength of his reputation/good PR, he let the place go to hell on his watch because he was too busy sulking about past glories and lost loves. Viserys was so short-sighted and convinced of his own divine right to rule that he had no grasp of how perilous his situation was. Tommen is an adorable and kind-hearted boy who is completely out of his depth.

I didn't say they were GOOD rulers, but that they're probably the best that can be had of the current crop, and could actually be effective, quality rulers even in spite of some of the cruel actions they take. By actually taking a longer term view they're proving that they're actually willing to accept their actions have consequences which need to be considered - at the moment Dany probably moreso than Stannis who is still willing to do anything and everything to ensure he gets what he believes is his by right.

As Hand, both Tywin and Tyrion did significantly more ruling over a larger population than anyone except Daenerys (and they certainly did a better job). Robb and Renly didn't really get fair shakes, but I think they would have been better than that. You're saying the guy who literally burns innocent subjects as fuel for his own benefit, and the lady who claims to be into mercy but randomly feeds people to dragons when she's mad are the best options? Basically, all the non-military ruling we've seen from Stannis has been "burn these buildings / people who were my loyal subjects."

Baldbeard posted:

It's weird that its such a slow death, but it apparently can be contracted and spreads several inches within what....15 minutes?

Well, maybe the point of contact was that big?

Junkfist posted:

I hope so. I really don't want some weird feel good "return of the foreign monarchs that loved burning people and incest" ending. gently caress the Targaryens.

steinrokkan posted:

Stannis did nothing wrong.

:godwinning:

Elephanthead posted:

The Dorne FDR is the best leader. This show needs more Dorne.

That dude rules and is probably gonna die by virtue of being a decent dude :(

But that Sand Snake scene in Dorne was the worst shot scene I've seen in a long time, possibly ever on this show. If that's what Dorne will be like...

Harley C posted:

Khal Drogo would not have let any of this bullshit happen

Khal Drogo literally caused his own mortal wound, dude was a joke

Elentor posted:

Extending on that, I think every source of magic in the GoT universe is evil. Aligned with Fire we have the God of Light, his zealots who like to burn people alive, a lineage of mad rulers who like to burn people alive, Dragons who like to burn people alive and eat them, shadowspawns, sacrifices and offerings to kill people.

Aligned with Ice we have the winter which apparently lasts years and is horrifying, magic zombies, magic mummies that can create zombies, and also human sacrifices for the magic mummies.

The other source of Magic we've seen comes from the Many-Faced God that is worshiped by assassins who sacrificed their personality to get better at killing, and the tree guys at the North who I'm pretty sure are going to do some horrible crap soon enough.

Well, it's a big assumption to say the dragons, and the shadows are all actually on the same side. For all we know, the dragons are one thing, the powers Thoros has are another (possibly the Firelord), and Melisandre's another entirely. Melisandre claims she's working for the Lord of Light, but her powers don't match the other powers we've seen, or really involve a lot of fire at all.

She seems to be only one who thinks Stannis is their Messiah, and she could easily have convinced Stannis to go and bring Daenerys over, but showed no desire to do so.

If anything, there's a lot of room to consider that the Walkers are not necessarily evil. The only source of ice magic we've seen is them, which begs the question "how did someone else build a giant, eternal wall of ice without their help". Maybe the Wall is supposed to be a mutual boundary, and humans have been ignoring it for millennia. Although, I guess at least some of those walkers are Craster's like 3rd generation incest babies so they're probably crazy

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Dany can barely control one lovely city-state, let alone an entire kingdom.....or 7.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh, thanks, I totally forgot about that scene. So I guess it doesn't matter whether you're alive or dead.

Bobo the Red posted:

Well, it's a big assumption to say the dragons, and the shadows are all actually on the same side. For all we know, the dragons are one thing, the powers Thoros has are another (possibly the Firelord), and Melisandre's another entirely. Melisandre claims she's working for the Lord of Light, but her powers don't match the other powers we've seen, or really involve a lot of fire at all.

She seems to be only one who thinks Stannis is their Messiah, and she could easily have convinced Stannis to go and bring Daenerys over, but showed no desire to do so.

If anything, there's a lot of room to consider that the Walkers are not necessarily evil. The only source of ice magic we've seen is them, which begs the question "how did someone else build a giant, eternal wall of ice without their help". Maybe the Wall is supposed to be a mutual boundary, and humans have been ignoring it for millennia. Although, I guess at least some of those walkers are Craster's like 3rd generation incest babies so they're probably crazy

I didn't say they're on the same side, I just said they're all thematically aligned to Fire, which is probably why the series the show is based on is called A Song of Ice and Fire in the first place. Yeah, Melisandre doesn't cast fireballs, but she burns people left and right and hinted that she could have done something about Wildfire. Whether she can actually do it or not doesn't matter much since she presents herself as thematically related to fire.

It might be that yeah, they all end up being completely different things.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 11, 2015

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004
If Stannis follows the Lord of Light, then so should we. Besides Melisandre has the most rockin tits on the show.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
None of the pretenders to the throne in GoT are good, but most have the potential to be good.

Stannis would be a pretty decent ruler if it wasn't for the whole "will probably burn millions alive for not submitting to his bullshit rear end in a top hat god" thing. I mean he killed his own brother, too, but frankly it seems you can't throw a rock in Westeros without hitting someone who's killed his brother. Yeah he's a humorless prick, but his hard rule would be tempered by Davos being a good Hand and Shireen being a good heir. Basically the only thing currently keeping Stannis from "pretty alright" territory and grounded firmly in "sometimes alright, sometimes a piece of poo poo" is Melisandre. I wouldn't be surprised if Stannis's arc climaxes with him being forced to decide between sacrificing Shireen/Davos or killing Melisandre.

Dany appears to be equal parts her dad (otherkin Hitler) and her oldest brother (wise, perfect and beautiful warrior poet loved by all). I do think people don't often give her credit for freeing a shitload of slaves, which might objectively be the Best Thing anyone in a position of power has done so far in the show, but she always does seem to be a step away from making Extremely Bad Decisions. Now that she seems to have somewhat sobered up and considered listening to advice for a change, she really needs quality counselors, and it's to be hoped that Varys and Tyrion might fill that spot.

Tommen... well, Tommen is pretty much as ineffectual as a king can be. It seems pretty unlikely he'll whip up the gumption to actually stand up to anyone anytime soon, so basically his main hope for not sucking as a ruler is for the infighting within his circle of advisors end up with someone capable in charge.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Stannis' conversion to Melissandre's faith seems to have something to do with Shiree's condition, so I assume the cure is fire. In conclusion; Jorah will appear before Dany, get roasted by Drogon right in front of her, and have his skin condition cured with no other ill effects. He will then return to his former position as adviser, grumbling whenever he's reminded that Dany is married. Daario will also repeatedly remind him that he managed to get into her bed, multiple times. Tyrion meanwhile will help build up the new non-slave based economy by patronizing the bars and brothels of the city.

As an aside, Robin Arryn is Baelish's son, right?

Bobo the Red posted:

the guy who literally burns innocent subjects as fuel for his own benefit the good of the realm.

Bobo the Red posted:

and the lady who claims to be into mercy but randomly feeds people to dragons when she's mad are the best options?
Mercy should be measured against the punishment avoided. Being fed to dragons is a pretty bad punishment, so she showed incredibly mercy to the ones who didn't get eaten.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

As an aside, Robin Arryn is Baelish's son, right?

Stepfather. Since Baelish and Lysa were married. I don't know if what happened to Lysa is a spoiler? she learned to fly
He is actually the blood son of Jon Arryn and Lysa Arryn (Tully)

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Elentor posted:

Oh, thanks, I totally forgot about that scene. So I guess it doesn't matter whether you're alive or dead.
Well White Walkers are White Walkers, they're not wights. Maybe the transformation only works with infants, but if the choice is either/or, why wouldn't they just capture adults for conversion instead of killing and zombifying them?

Wights are something else entirely. I think they're just raw material that'd otherwise go to waste. Shambling corpses aren't much use, but they're more useful than plain corpses.

metavisual posted:

I don't know if what happened to Lysa is a spoiler?
Littlefinger shoved her out of the moon door on screen last season, so I think the cat's out of the bag there.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 11, 2015

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>

Anime Curator posted:

tryion was heading toward the queen anyway. Way to get your arm hosed up, idiot.

I think it would stay only on his arm if his father was Stannis.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

SexyBlindfold posted:

Dany appears to be equal parts her dad (otherkin Hitler) and her oldest brother (wise, perfect and beautiful warrior poet loved by all). I do think people don't often give her credit for freeing a shitload of slaves, which might objectively be the Best Thing anyone in a position of power has done so far in the show, but she always does seem to be a step away from making Extremely Bad Decisions. Now that she seems to have somewhat sobered up and considered listening to advice for a change, she really needs quality counselors, and it's to be hoped that Varys and Tyrion might fill that spot.

Tommen... well, Tommen is pretty much as ineffectual as a king can be. It seems pretty unlikely he'll whip up the gumption to actually stand up to anyone anytime soon, so basically his main hope for not sucking as a ruler is for the infighting within his circle of advisors end up with someone capable in charge.

Dany may "free the slaves" but then demands absolute control of the city in return; it's also obvious that she's trying to build an army out of the ex-slaves so they can be fodder when she tries to take Westeros back.

Tommen would be a decent king if he had a good Hand. They would be able to (for instance) give him advice on how to talk to the High Sparrow without slaughtering everyone or looking like someone with no backbone. A Tommen/Tywin combination would probably be a well-run realm regardless of what you think of the Lannisters.

Of course the best King+Hand combination is Stannis/Davos :colbert:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

Tommen would be a decent king if he had a good Hand

I bet Margaery gives a good handy

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

Dany may "free the slaves" but then demands absolute control of the city in return; it's also obvious that she's trying to build an army out of the ex-slaves so they can be fodder when she tries to take Westeros back.

Or, she's demanding absolute control of the city because she remembers what happened in Yunkai when she left.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

metavisual posted:

Stepfather. Since Baelish and Lysa were married. I don't know if what happened to Lysa is a spoiler? she learned to fly
He is actually the blood son of Jon Arryn and Lysa Arryn (Tully)
Are we sure he is actually the blood son of Jon Arryn and Lysa Arryn though? Lysa always had a thing for Baelish, and lived in King's Landing. Jon Arryn meanwhile seems like he was probably a somewhat capable fighter in his day, unlike Robin, who would be a fine stand-in for Baelish in his stories about his youth. It seems entirely in Baelish's character to 1. get busy with a Catelyn stand-in, 2. get back at the boys with a talent for violence by making Jon Arryn a cuckold, so I think it makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The Mad King being described as "Otherkin Hitler" is the best thing I've seen today

• Locked thread