Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

So Grimy is back in business. SkyTweak has been updated with FISS(saving MCM settings between playthroughs), and he has fixed the settings not always saving correctly bug that's been around for awhile. Grimy Utilities has also been updated with FISS. He's also uploaded a beta for a new GELO version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Controversial opinion alert!

I hate Mod Organizer.

It bothers me that so many people just take it as a given that it's the superior way to mod. As long as you actually understand Skyrim's file structure, NMM is much simpler and it's not a huge loving headache to set everything up. MO keeps all your mods neatly segregated, but I like to root through mod archives and cherry-pick files to install, mix and match stuff from different mesh & texture packs. I like to open up the actual .nif and .dds files and edit those. I like to extract stuff from .bsa archives and gently caress with it. I like to organize my plugins one way and my loose files another way, edit plugins, change file paths... I'm on extremely friendly terms with my "Data" folder. In a pinch, NMM always saves the untouched mod archive in a totally separate directory, so it's easy to retrieve files if I change my mind about something.

I've had the most insane conversations with people trying to use my mods with MO, and I always just want to shake them and ask "why are you doing this to yourself?"

I do understand the appeal of MO, especially if you want to set up radically different mod lists for different playthroughs. I just want to stress that it is a different method, not a better method. It's a classic automatic vs. manual question. I vastly prefer the hands-on approach to the hand-holding approach. MO is for people who like to keep everything super clean and streamlined and let the software do the work, but some of us prefer to roll our sleeves up and get IN there and get dirty! My game is absolutely modded to poo poo like you would not believe, and it runs beautifully.

It really gets my goat when people talk like you have to be some kind of idiot not to use MO. Or poo poo like "you're not using MO, that's your problem!" I actually do know exactly what the gently caress I'm doing, thank you very much, and it's exactly why I don't use MO. I know that some of you will be baffled or upset by this. I'm certainly not telling people not to use MO. All I'm trying to say is: Try to resist the urge to bully people into it. There are different ways to accomplish the same goals, and there's definitely more than one "correct" way to mod.

The problem is that it is superior.

Mod Organizer makes finding and untangling mod conflicts so easy it just becomes absolutely trivial, and you don't have to spend hours mucking around in Data trying to reverse-engineer the install order of mods from years and years ago to figure out why Mesh X is missing Texture Y - just reinstall the mod into its MO folder and shuffle the mod order until it's working. You can still muck around in the file structure all you like, you just need to remember one more directory or shortcut than before. The fact you can also independently re-order file overrides seperate from ESP overrides cannot be overstated, and much easier to work with than trying to figure out what order to install mods in and then being locked into that install order with the loose files. You can still mix and match with MO, and if anything, the process becomes effortless. MO identifies potential conflicts between every file in a mod - from scripts to EPSs, textures and meshes. It all becomes transparent and takes out all the guesswork.

You can extract from .bsas as well with MO - just make a new MO mod folder and dump the contents into it.

It's also stupendous for modding as well. When I was making FCO, I had to test that mod against UFO and another companion mod, in addition to EFF. MO made switching from my 200+ main build to vanilla + UFO a 10 second operation, and made the process of compatibility checking ridiculously easy. Because my base install of Skyrim only has a bare minimum of mods installed - SKSE, the Sheson fix, Safety Load, etc. - it gave me confidence that the flotsam scripts of other mods weren't interfering during the testing.

There is no need to "bully" people into using MO but the hype is entirely justified. If you think of workshop modding as throwing rocks, NMM is like a crossbow, while MO is a dwemer aether rifle that reconfigures reality with each and every shot. Once you get used to having the Mod directory outside of data it's really hard to go back. That said you don't "lose" that skill either - I had a Fallout 3 kick where I had to go back to the old ways and was still able to do it, but rooting around in Data again made me that much more thankful for MO.

ANIME IS BLOOD fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 11, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Controversial opinion alert!

I hate Mod Organizer.

It bothers me that so many people just take it as a given that it's the superior way to mod. As long as you actually understand Skyrim's file structure, NMM is much simpler and it's not a huge loving headache to set everything up. MO keeps all your mods neatly segregated, but I like to root through mod archives and cherry-pick files to install, mix and match stuff from different mesh & texture packs. I like to open up the actual .nif and .dds files and edit those. I like to extract stuff from .bsa archives and gently caress with it. I like to organize my plugins one way and my loose files another way, edit plugins, change file paths... I'm on extremely friendly terms with my "Data" folder. In a pinch, NMM always saves the untouched mod archive in a totally separate directory, so it's easy to retrieve files if I change my mind about something.

I've had the most insane conversations with people trying to use my mods with MO, and I always just want to shake them and ask "why are you doing this to yourself?"

I do understand the appeal of MO, especially if you want to set up radically different mod lists for different playthroughs. I just want to stress that it is a different method, not a better method. It's a classic automatic vs. manual question. I vastly prefer the hands-on approach to the hand-holding approach. MO is for people who like to keep everything super clean and streamlined and let the software do the work, but some of us prefer to roll our sleeves up and get IN there and get dirty! My game is absolutely modded to poo poo like you would not believe, and it runs beautifully.

It really gets my goat when people talk like you have to be some kind of idiot not to use MO. Or poo poo like "you're not using MO, that's your problem!" I actually do know exactly what the gently caress I'm doing, thank you very much, and it's exactly why I don't use MO. I know that some of you will be baffled or upset by this. I'm certainly not telling people not to use MO. All I'm trying to say is: Try to resist the urge to bully people into it. There are different ways to accomplish the same goals, and there's definitely more than one "correct" way to mod.

tl;dr people who lack the expertise or don't want to spend the time to manually set up and tweak a hundred mods are loving weak.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Eric the Mauve posted:

tl;dr people who lack the expertise or don't want to spend the time to manually set up and tweak a hundred mods are loving weak.

that's the kicker - you still have to do that with Mod Organizer, the process just becomes effortless, because instead of reverse-engineering what mod installed what files by looking at the original download and figuring out which one is messing up the mesh, jumping back and forth between the texture and mesh directory chains, removing all the files, and then reinstalling them in the right order, you just pull up the Conflict pane in MO and it tells you, and you shuffle the loose files folder order in the left part of the window until it works.

People really don't understand how much better this is until they've gotten used to it, and once they've gotten used to it they understandably can't ever shut up about it again because it's so much goddam time saved loving around.

The main thing that is up for debate is whether or not people who haven't modded before should use MO - because getting that understanding of how Data works is important and the whole thing becomes abstract when you're using MO.

ANIME IS BLOOD fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 11, 2015

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't care HOW it works, I just want it to work. The more automated the process the better.

RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014
If someone comes asking what mod manager to use, odds are they aren't experienced enough to know how to use NMM the "manual" way, so "bullying them" into using MO is pretty much the only option.

And if you are experienced enough, you wouldn't be asking us in the first place.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

RangerPL posted:

If someone comes asking what mod manager to use, odds are they aren't experienced enough to know how to use NMM the "manual" way, so "bullying them" into using MO is pretty much the only option.

And if you are experienced enough, you wouldn't be asking us in the first place.

But that's the chicken and egg question, though - if you're not experienced enough to use NMM should someone be using MO? It's like giving someone with a driver's license a jet fighter - definitely faster and able to do insanely cool poo poo but if you don't know what you're doing you'll be a flaming hole in the ground before you know it. Basically MO is a gray area where inexperienced users are concerned, it's only really black and white once they've become more experienced as well as dog-tired of dealing with Bethesda's poo poo.

Everything Burrito posted:

I don't care HOW it works, I just want it to work. The more automated the process the better.

Which is what MO does - automates loose file conflict resolution. Nobody has a magic "Fix me!" button yet but this as close and good as it gets in terms of convenience.

RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014
MO isn't that much more difficult to understand than NMM and the payoff for a newbie is colossal because of how easy MO makes it to manage mod order and how the virtual data directory means you don't run the risk of trashing your skyrim install if you mess up. That in itself is worth whatever additional complexity there is.

Its other features are nice, but not 100% necessary for every newbie to know and understand.

RangerPL fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 11, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What's a quick and easy way to slow leveling down using SPERG and the Uncapper I was looking through the ini and I realized I really don't understand the math behind leveling in Skyrim. I think I want to level up about 75% as fast, but don't want to mess around with the ratios of how quickly various skills level me up (ideally doing it in a way that the skills just level up slower, not that I need more skills to increase before I level up). Is there one value I can change to accomplish that in the uncapper? Is it the "PCLevelSkillExpMults" section and I change all of those to .75 instead of 1.0? or does that just increase the number of skill points I need for a level up

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It is under [SkillExpGainMults]. I set a lot of my stuff to nearly half cause it felt like I was leveling way too quickly. I could go from Helgen to Whiterun to Bleakfall Barrows and be nearly level 7 before getting halfway through the Barrows.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011
For future reference PCLevelSkillExpMults controls how much each skill level up contributes to the player leveling up, and here is a page containing the math on the skyrim leveling system.
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Leveling

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I just download mods off of nexus with NMM, sort it with LOOT, and then BASH it and everything works fine so I haven't really found a reason to learn how to use MO.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Everything Burrito posted:

This is where it's at. I do not have the patience to learn software manipulation, and even if i did, I do not want to spend more time modding a game than playing it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

When I get mercurial about my mods, MO makes sure I only need to start a new game instead of spending another 10 hours untangling and rerouting a four hundred million megabyte mess of overrides and conflicts into something that doesn't stomp on its own toes again.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

I hope this is the right place to ask.
I started playing Skyrim again, and after passing by a few mines, and caves I started thinking how nice would be if I could leave some comments/notes for the places I'd like to visit later on the map. Is there a mod like this for the game, or something similar?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Leal posted:

It is under [SkillExpGainMults]. I set a lot of my stuff to nearly half cause it felt like I was leveling way too quickly. I could go from Helgen to Whiterun to Bleakfall Barrows and be nearly level 7 before getting halfway through the Barrows.

delta534 posted:

For future reference PCLevelSkillExpMults controls how much each skill level up contributes to the player leveling up, and here is a page containing the math on the skyrim leveling system.
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Leveling

Thank you both. I read theuesp thing on leveling, I feel I have a better grasp on it and tweaking the SkillExpGainMults seems to have accomplished what I wanted. I might start fooling around with the PCLevelSkillExpMults and change crafting skills so they level up faster, but don't contribute to leveling as much, because I want to mess around with crafting, and it'd probably be better if they advanced at a closer to vanilla rate, but I don't want to shoot up in levels doing it, but I'm going to leave that for another day.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

nekoxid posted:

I hope this is the right place to ask.
I started playing Skyrim again, and after passing by a few mines, and caves I started thinking how nice would be if I could leave some comments/notes for the places I'd like to visit later on the map. Is there a mod like this for the game, or something similar?
Haven't tested it, but it sounds like what you want: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/38731/

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

Raygereio posted:

Haven't tested it, but it sounds like what you want: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/38731/

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
If for some reason you really need to see the Data folder "as it is", just launch explorer.exe from Mod Organizer. Navigate to C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\data, and it will look just like someone spergily hand-placed everything for you.

If you're into modifying NIF files yourself or whatever, then you have the same fundamental problem whether or not you use MO: you need 2 copies of said NIF: the original, unmodified one; and your new, modified one. MO makes this easy, too: just copy the mod, and modify the copy to your heart's content.

tl;dr ITT we believe MO is superior to NMM because for 99.99% of people, it is. Kind of like, "Vitamin C is generally good for your health." No one is bullying, we're simply stating an established fact at this point.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Mod Organizer is just a superior way of managing mods since you never touch the actual Data directory. Other mod managers don't do that, so it is very easy to identify and change conflicts.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I feel like, despite MO's complexity, a beginner user could probably just ignore most of its functionality and install mods and run LOOT through its interface and be fine. And then learn the other features as needed. Not sure though.

I do know that I never want to go back to figuring out install-order-level conflicts any other way.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
So a page or so ago, some folks were talking about how Helgen Reborn gets really bad at some point. And a while before others were saying Falskaar is technically impressive on some level, but unfun. It makes me wish that there were more places to get honest reviews from. Everybody raves about these mods, I only ever hear about the downside in this thread. I actually think I may have asked this in the past, but are there any other mods that "everybody" goes apeshit for but aren't actually that great?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

GunnerJ posted:

So a page or so ago, some folks were talking about how Helgen Reborn gets really bad at some point. And a while before others were saying Falskaar is technically impressive on some level, but unfun. It makes me wish that there were more places to get honest reviews from. Everybody raves about these mods, I only ever hear about the downside in this thread. I actually think I may have asked this in the past, but are there any other mods that "everybody" goes apeshit for but aren't actually that great?

The like 4k textures on everything, almost the instant a new huge res texture goes live on the nexus i see it upvoted into the sky, but it's a fact that the more textures Skyrim has to deal with the faster it shits itself. I only run with high res weapons and armor and stay away from the rest, and even there i only go to like 2k.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 11, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

GunnerJ posted:

I feel like, despite MO's complexity, a beginner user could probably just ignore most of its functionality and install mods and run LOOT through its interface and be fine. And then learn the other features as needed. Not sure though.

I do know that I never want to go back to figuring out install-order-level conflicts any other way.

pretty much. Set MO to handle Nexus links, download from nexus with the "download with manager" button, sort with loot, go. I think the one thing that might trip you up is having to configure your INIs through MO instead of going to documents\whatever\skyrimprefs.ini

The advanced features are there for the taking but you certainly don't have to use them.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Dongattack posted:

The like 4k textures on everything, almost the instant a new huge res texture goes live on the nexus i see it upvoted into the sky, but it's a fact that the more textures Skyrim has to deal with the faster it shits itself. I only run with high res weapons and armor and stay away from the rest, and even there i only go to like 2k.

Some of those textures are pretty awful anyway.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Dongattack posted:

I have a slightly more nuanced approach: I concentrate on textures I'm going to see all the loving time, especially up close - like doors (you see these up close all the time) skies, a few other similar type textures, and skin/face textures. I downloaded the highres DLC, and extracted just the files I want. I overlaid most of Ramccoid's retextures over that, and pretty much everything else is SMIM + WATER. I improved a few other rarer textures - highres dragon runes and such, but for the most part I don't bother with highres armor.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Falksaar and Wyrmstooth both use gigantic 4k textures too, for what that is worth. I generally run with only 2k textures and DDSOpt and other giant texture mods that I'm running down to 2k (Book of Silence, for example.)

The performance boost is pretty significant.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Agents are GO! posted:

I have a slightly more nuanced approach: I concentrate on textures I'm going to see all the loving time, especially up close - like doors (you see these up close all the time) skies, a few other similar type textures, and skin/face textures. I downloaded the highres DLC, and extracted just the files I want. I overlaid most of Ramccoid's retextures over that, and pretty much everything else is SMIM + WATER. I improved a few other rarer textures - highres dragon runes and such, but for the most part I don't bother with highres armor.

I guess i have a little bit more than just armors also, i have the highres DLC and the mods to fix the highres DLC (lol) and some kinda water mod. If i actually saw Skyrim with good 4k textures all over i'd probably want it tho, so i'm staying ignorant.

Slightly related, how are long distance LOD mods and the like now? I'm using the cool new flying mod, and it exaggerates how much distant Skyrim looks like pancake batter :v: That's just the nature of the engine tho, but figured i'd ask just in case.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Gyshall posted:

Falksaar and Wyrmstooth both use gigantic 4k textures too, for what that is worth. I generally run with only 2k textures and DDSOpt and other giant texture mods that I'm running down to 2k (Book of Silence, for example.)

far too many modders say UH MY TEXTURES ARE UNCOMPRESSED FOR A REASON DON'T DDSOpt them!!! and I'm thinking - unless you run this at like 3840x2160 you will never, ever know.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Dongattack posted:

I guess i have a little bit more than just armors also, i have the highres DLC and the mods to fix the highres DLC (lol) and some kinda water mod. If i actually saw Skyrim with good 4k textures all over i'd probably want it tho, so i'm staying ignorant.

Slightly related, how are long distance LOD mods and the like now? I'm using the cool new flying mod, and it exaggerates how much distant Skyrim looks like pancake batter :v: That's just the nature of the engine tho, but figured i'd ask just in case.

DynDOLOD is amazing, just keep in mind it takes a while to generate on a large load order, but it is worth it. Just don't bother with it until you're happy with your mod setup.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Used to use NMM, switched to MO, MO seems like it does more stuff and is a lot more... precise... than NMM. Shows more information I can use and lets me configure more things more easily.

NMM works but I'd probably recommend MO to a new user because the main issue I had with it was unfamiliarity coming from NMM. It also has a bunch of handy step by step tutorials for it which were very nice, and its own internal debugging and tooltips cleared up a few issues I had getting set up as well.

I mean use what you find works best for you, but I think MO is the better tool in terms of what it can do and how it displays its information, but if you're better with NMM then go for that.

Gyshall posted:

Mod Organizer is just a superior way of managing mods since you never touch the actual Data directory. Other mod managers don't do that, so it is very easy to identify and change conflicts.

This is also nice, it keeps everything out of the actual skyrim folder so if you break poo poo it doesn't matter.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

I just played Moonpath to Elsweyr and I didn't think it was very good. It's a bunch of lorewank punctuated by endless battles with sword sponge enemies. I'm a big fan of lorewank, don't get me wrong, but I need more than a spider I gotta beat on for a half hour to keep my interest. The voice acting was also horrendous but I'm can hardly blame it for that.

Moon and Star was on the average good. The voice acting was solid even if it was only two and a half voices. The last boss is badly designed if you go for the good ending. It felt short but that's better than the alternative.

I also played Wyrmstooth. The voice acting was all over the place, some really good some terrible. The characters are the most clichéd cliches that I've ever seen. The main dungeon is ridiculously long. It feels four times longer than the dungeons in Dawnguard. Also I'm pretty sure it's been bloating up my scripts and making anything scripted in the base game weird and wonky. That could be another mod doing it but I'm pretty sure it's Wyrmstooth. The actual design of it ends up being pretty good, though. Outside of the ridiculous long dungeon anyway.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Everything by TrainWiz is fantastic, with the caveat that you have to accept that they can be rough around the edges.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I got a really dumb question :downs:

How do I find out which mod created an item, and what it's for?

I found a 'Cracked Skull' in a cave that was lootable, and found a 'Long Lost Key' inside. It's most certainly put there by Legacy of the Dragonborn, but I don't have any more clues.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Type 'help "Cracked Skull"' into the console and look at the hexadecimal form IDs for them. The first two digits correspond to an ESP's Mod Index in your load order.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

axolotl farmer posted:

I got a really dumb question :downs:

How do I find out which mod created an item, and what it's for?

I found a 'Cracked Skull' in a cave that was lootable, and found a 'Long Lost Key' inside. It's most certainly put there by Legacy of the Dragonborn, but I don't have any more clues.

I'm not sure if it I like it or hate it when mods create these little mysteries

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

I'm not sure if it I like it or hate it when mods create these little mysteries

I found a "Mysterious Key" courtesy of Morrowloot while moving into the Head Wizardy Man's quarters after finishing the College of Winterhold questline and had to look online to see what it's for. Apparently it unlocks a chest in a room in some dwarven ruin, but nobody knows how to actually get into the room.

Octal
Jan 30, 2003

It is haram to draw images of mythical beasts even if it never existed in reality

Gyshall posted:

poo poo, how do I make them use smaller textures then? I never even entered those areas yet so I didn't know they would be lag city. Some of us don't want to do UltraHD because we have an older system. :/

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

YellerBill posted:

I found a "Mysterious Key" courtesy of Morrowloot while moving into the Head Wizardy Man's quarters after finishing the College of Winterhold questline and had to look online to see what it's for. Apparently it unlocks a chest in a room in some dwarven ruin, but nobody knows how to actually get into the room.
:xcom: but for Morrowloot.

Seriously, why does Morrowloot have a thousand random added tiny bits in Dwarven ruins that all play off keys in the middle of nowhere and so on and so forth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Man Whore posted:

I just download mods off of nexus with NMM, sort it with LOOT, and then BASH it and everything works fine so I haven't really found a reason to learn how to use MO.

This here is a perfect "short version" of my rambling earlier.

MO sounds like a great choice if solving mod conflicts gives you a huge headache, but if you're comfortable enough with modding to know stuff like "this has race edits so I should be careful where I load it" or "this messes with leveled lists so I should rebuild my bashed patch" then you'll be fine without it. I guess it comes down to what you do and don't find inconvenient. When I see multi-paragraph instructions for installing a mod, I'm thinking "or you could drag and drop it..." The Data folder exists to be hosed with, so it seems silly to me to avoid touching it. Anything you do to it can be undone just as easily.

For people who know absolutely nothing, MO can add layers of complexity that are really daunting... and for people who know enough to get by, it can actually be kind of a fifth wheel. And then for a lot of people it's right in the sweet spot, and magically solves all of their problems!

In the end, it is one of several perfectly reasonable options!

• Locked thread