Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

noirstronaut posted:

My data plan for the entire family is $100 out of $290.

Also, I should note that I'm not here to be cheap or anything, it's just interesting how, if Hangouts worked exactly how Google wanted or wants them to, you wouldn't need to buy a plan that was anything other than data. I was in the market for a super cheap plan anyway (since I'm only using this Android phone scarcely as I'll be using my iPhone as a main phone) and after finding out I can just pop the data SIM out of my tablet and put it in the G2, I can't think of a reason not to or how it'd be immediately impractical.

See, that's weird because the family plan I'm on with AT&T is about $170 a month for 30 GB shared + rollover data, and we have something like 400 minutes a month shared but it doesn't matter because of free mobile to mobile and the fact that we have thousands upon thousands of rollover minutes. At this point we'd have to all call a landline for a month straight to hit an overage.

The majority of the bill is the data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

nm

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 9, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

noirstronaut posted:

I have a general question about Android/Google overall.

Basically, with Hangouts, can't you just get a data-only plan and use that to call and text people? As in, why would anyone get a normal plan if you can quite literally shave off 66% of the cost by going data-only?

Sending an SMS through Hangouts still counts as a normal SMS as far as your provider is concerned.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

dissss posted:

Sending an SMS through Hangouts still counts as a normal SMS as far as your provider is concerned.

Not if you're using google voice.

Brain Aged
Feb 10, 2005

Bridle all this indiscretion, Long enough to edify. And permanently fill this hollow

Guillermus posted:

What's a good alternative to Clean Master (wich became way too intrusive compared to the old one) for fast cache, empty folder cleaning and app uninstalling (so you remove all remaining files)? I've owned Android Assistant Pro for years but is not as good for cleaning up the device.

SD Maid

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Anyone have a Nexus 6 camera app suggestion? Not enjoying the limited feel of the stock app and I wish I had more options.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

El Jebus posted:

Anyone have a Nexus 6 camera app suggestion? Not enjoying the limited feel of the stock app and I wish I had more options.

Manual camera: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.vipek.camera2

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks for the suggestion, looks exactly what I needed, don't even need the paid version at all.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

That looks good! I've got a free $10 from amazon so I'm going to look on their appstore for that.

Or not. Looks like I'll just buy it from google!

El Jebus fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 10, 2015

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

noirstronaut posted:

I have a general question about Android/Google overall.

Basically, with Hangouts, can't you just get a data-only plan and use that to call and text people? As in, why would anyone get a normal plan if you can quite literally shave off 66% of the cost by going data-only?

In addition to what everyone else mentioned, no carrier I'm aware of will sell you an all data plan.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

BeastOfExmoor posted:

In addition to what everyone else mentioned, no carrier I'm aware of will sell you an all data plan.

Plenty do as tablet shared data plans.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

BeastOfExmoor posted:

T-Mobile sells one with 100 minutes, 5GB/unlimited data, and unlimited SMS/MMS for $30/mo. I use that with the GV/Hangouts thing and it's great. My phone even originally came from Verizon!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

T-Mobile sells one with 100 minutes, 5GB/unlimited data, and unlimited SMS/MMS for $30/mo. I use that with the GV/Hangouts thing and it's great. My phone even originally came from Verizon!

Someone else on my plan upgraded to a G3 and got a G Pad for a dollar that can only use the shared data we have on the plan. So, I took their old G2, popped the SIM out of the tablet and now I had a data-only G2.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

noirstronaut posted:

Someone else on my plan upgraded to a G3 and got a G Pad for a dollar that can only use the shared data we have on the plan. So, I took their old G2, popped the SIM out of the tablet and now I had a data-only G2.

That's a good idea. I'd considered going with an LTE tablet for my phone, along with a Bluetooth earpiece, but decided to get a big phone instead. I think I prefer the phone, but I'm torn - I carry a bag everywhere I go anyway, and having a larger screen (7-8'') would be nice.

Not everyone has a shared plan, though. Can you get a standalone data-only plan for under $30, anyway?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

That's a good idea. I'd considered going with an LTE tablet for my phone, along with a Bluetooth earpiece, but decided to get a big phone instead. I think I prefer the phone, but I'm torn - I carry a bag everywhere I go anyway, and having a larger screen (7-8'') would be nice.

Not everyone has a shared plan, though. Can you get a standalone data-only plan for under $30, anyway?

I don't think you can without also paying for a tablet or somehow taking a tablet with data to them and seeing if you can add it onto your plan.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Guillermus posted:

What's a good alternative to Clean Master (wich became way too intrusive compared to the old one) for fast cache, empty folder cleaning and app uninstalling (so you remove all remaining files)? I've owned Android Assistant Pro for years but is not as good for cleaning up the device.

Not saying that you should stay with Clean Master, but I found it a lot more tolerable after I switched notifications off.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is it possible to use HTC's emojis on a non HTC phone?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

noirstronaut posted:

Is it possible to use HTC's emojis on a non HTC phone?

Pretty sure it's possible if you have root access. Google it, you'll find a way to replace emojis if you really want to.

Don't do it, it's not worth rooting over and dealing with the hassle of not being able to get things like OTA updates and such

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm rooted using CyanogenMod already.

I tried Googling but it's incredibly hard since all the results are some random order of the words. As in "use HTC emojis on nonHTC phone" will give me results on activating HTC emojis on an HTC phone or how to swap the HTC ones out etc.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

You know that won't change the emojis people receive, right? It will only change them on your phone. Everyone will still see their normal version.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Taffer posted:

You know that won't change the emojis people receive, right? It will only change them on your phone. Everyone will still see their normal version.

Yes, I know. I want nicer looking emoji , specifically the HTC ones, on my phone alone.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

noirstronaut posted:

Yes, I know. I want nicer looking emoji , specifically the HTC ones, on my phone alone.

You might have better luck asking in the rooted android thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3358561&pagenumber=477#lastpost

E: have you seen this app? Seems to have good reviews on the play store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stevenschoen.emojiswitcher&hl=en

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 11, 2015

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Don't do it, it's not worth rooting over and dealing with the hassle of not being able to get things like OTA updates and such

I rooted not long ago and still got the OTA update for my oneplus one.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I rooted not long ago and still got the OTA update for my oneplus one.
From 5.0 updates work differently and fail if the system image is not a perfect match. It used to be done file-by-file. I supposed HTC could have changed that behaviour but I don't know why they would bother.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there an app I can use to record my phone calls?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Kind of.
To directly record your phone calls you need to be rooted, but there are apps that turn on your speaker and record that.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'm no good at framing square photos. I've seen stuff like the original photo on background, blurred, as a border. Which app is good for adding some sick borders to photos?

Edit: answering to myself: square instapic seems to be the app to go. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.studio8apps.instasizenocrop&hl=en

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 11, 2015

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

noirstronaut posted:

Plenty do as tablet shared data plans.

Yes, but if you plug that SIM in to your phone it won't work. I believe they typically white list the tablet's that are "approved".

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Any recommendation for an app like iTunes ? I have an android now and I would like to know the best way organize and transfer music to my phone. (My data plan sucks so I'd rather not stream while listening)

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Yes, but if you plug that SIM in to your phone it won't work. I believe they typically white list the tablet's that are "approved".

It's what I'm doing right now :confused:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ZZZorcerer posted:

Any recommendation for an app like iTunes ? I have an android now and I would like to know the best way organize and transfer music to my phone. (My data plan sucks so I'd rather not stream while listening)

Use Google Play Music.

Upload songs with it.

Pin them to your device.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Thermopyle posted:

Use Google Play Music.

Upload songs with it.

Pin them to your device.

Yeah, this works pretty well. The added bonus of being able to listen to your music on any computer without much loving around is great too.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

ZZZorcerer posted:

If you already have your music in iTunes look into iSyncr. It's how I transfer music to my phone.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

And if you subscribe to Google music, you get a YouTube music key meaning that you can listen to YouTube in the background. Love that.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there an app I can use to record my phone calls?

Google Voice has inherent call recording abilities if you have a GV number. Unfortunately it only works on incoming calls to your GV number, no outgoing.

Otherwise, there's quite a few call recording apps on the marketplace, but I've not personally tried any. Most record whatever is heard through the mic only, so you have to speaker phone the other person to get their side recorded too.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

My needs are simple. I need a weather app capable of creating a widget with hourly weather, very similar to how this appears: http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/l/14216:4:US

I don't need a clock. I don't need wind direction or pressure or radar or any of that. All I want is a widget with a bunch of rows for the hourly weather. Is such a thing available out there?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Wonder Weapon posted:

My needs are simple. I need a weather app capable of creating a widget with hourly weather, very similar to how this appears: http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/l/14216:4:US

I don't need a clock. I don't need wind direction or pressure or radar or any of that. All I want is a widget with a bunch of rows for the hourly weather. Is such a thing available out there?

Weather Timeline can do the next four hours, and pressing will open the app to show more hours.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are there any browser recommendations or should I just use the default? I have had Firefox for a while, but it's crashing a lot lately. I forget why I stopped using the default. I tried to find Chrome, but there apparently isn't a chrome android app.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

wa27 posted:

Weather Timeline can do the next four hours, and pressing will open the app to show more hours.

That's...approaching fine, but I need more hours. Something in the twelve hour range would be excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are there any browser recommendations or should I just use the default? I have had Firefox for a while, but it's crashing a lot lately. I forget why I stopped using the default. I tried to find Chrome, but there apparently isn't a chrome android app.

:what:

Which Android device is this? There are a few oddballs like Amazon devices and stuff in mainland China with no Google integration at all, but Chrome is usually the browser, and is certainly available on the Play Store.

• Locked thread