Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Zoness posted:

I mean isn't permission to enter how he got in trouble in the first place

Jesus christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

Because that is when it REALLY matters.

My. Fake. Outrage.

No just when it could feasibly be done

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Lancelot posted:

Oh yeah, I feel really sorry those hordes of rapists who are forced to go back into raping after finding it too hard to "go straight".

Christ, recidivism is a huge problem for poor, usually black felons, usually because they are involved in criminal enterprise and can't find legitimate work. Not loving white middle-class dudes who spend thousands of dollars playing a nerdy card game.

Recidivism doesn't mean commit the exact same crime again.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheKingofSprings posted:

No just when it could feasibly be done

How could it feasibly be done? I was joking about background checks. Are you seriously suggesting them?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Zoness posted:

I mean isn't permission to enter how he got in trouble in the first place

holy mackerel

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Personally the evidence that Pat Chapin had a guy killed is strong enough that I am uncomfortable with seeing him play and seeing him praised.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Like, what even started this conversation? Was it just "this person had a felony in his past; let's bring it up to shame him so he can never be successful again" or did he do something at the tournament to prompt it?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Personally the evidence that Pat Chapin had a guy killed is strong enough that I am uncomfortable with seeing him play and seeing him praised.

I like it when he raps music

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Yo, I can overlook criminals of all sorts playing, but people who vape indoors at a tournament need to get an automatic 3 year suspension.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Do vape not rape

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
vapes of rath

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Like, what even started this conversation? Was it just "this person had a felony in his past; let's bring it up to shame him so he can never be successful again" or did he do something at the tournament to prompt it?

I believe, like all quality discussions in the SOMETHING AWFUL DOT COM WIZARD POKER THREAD, it started with a random rape joke.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Can you link me the evidence? I can't seem to find it with my google fu at the moment.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I think it gives the magic community a rough edge at the distracts from the horrible pasty nerd stereotype it has gotten. Personally, I think more notable magic players should be murdering people so we can gain back some of our "street cred."

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

He top 8'd and someone tweeted that he was on a registered sex offender list afaik.

I mean like, the way I see it either convicted felons can or can't play magic because seriously a conversation on the relative severity of crimes in the context of wizard poker :wtc:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Toshimo posted:

I believe, like all quality discussions in the SOMETHING AWFUL DOT COM WIZARD POKER THREAD, it started with a random rape joke.

Did he make the joke or something? I can't tell why this is even happening.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

As far as I can tell someone just outted him o twitter when he made top 8.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
You can tell who's a rape apologist and who isn't by who likes to obscure the word by using "a felon" or "a crime" instead of, you know, the actual word "rape".

male nerds erasing rape in the games forum whoa :captainpop:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

how about we erase you instead

e: lol nvm, sorry bud, this post happened VVVVVVVV

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Zoness posted:

I mean like, the way I see it either convicted felons can or can't play magic because seriously a conversation on the relative severity of crimes in the context of wizard poker :wtc:

I think rape is worse than tax evasion, and would be uncomfortable being stuck in a one-on-one match with a convicted rapist in a way that I would not feel uncomfortable being stuck with someone convicted of copyright infringement or perjury.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Slow day in the magic thread

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Lancelot posted:

You can tell who's a rape apologist and who isn't by who likes to obscure the word by using "a felon" or "a crime" instead of, you know, the actual word "rape".

male nerds erasing rape in the games forum whoa :captainpop:

I identify myself as gender Neutrois and I am affended that you mislabeled me you loving monster.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Bread Set Jettison posted:

MM15 sucks .

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Bread Set Jettison posted:

When are Origins spoilers dropping?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
taxevasionman's two nuns and a pack mule

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I think rape is worse than tax evasion, and would be uncomfortable being stuck in a one-on-one match with a convicted rapist in a way that I would not feel uncomfortable being stuck with someone convicted of copyright infringement or perjury.

I didn't know copyright infringement was a felony v:shobon:v. I mean isn't there a violent category to that I admit to not really understanding legal/penal codes. Deffo ban anyone who's done violent/personal crimes or w/e they're called imo thats hosed up. Also they prob shouldn't have let the rape threat guy play again but they did so I mean :can:.

That said you know a perjurer is going to misrepresent the board state to a judge. and a tax evader is going to miss some upkeep triggers.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Zoness posted:

I didn't know copyright infringement was a felony v:shobon:v. I mean isn't there a violent category to that I admit to not really understanding legal/penal codes. Deffo ban anyone who's done violent/personal crimes or w/e they're called imo thats hosed up. Also they prob shouldn't have let the rape threat guy play again but they did so I mean :can:.

That said you know a perjurer is going to misrepresent the board state to a judge. and a tax evader is going to miss some upkeep triggers.

Also, ban people with weed offences. They are bad role models for kids.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

Also, ban people with weed offences. They are bad role models for kids.

Ban all dealers including car and card dealers.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Zoness posted:

Ban all dealers including car and card dealers.

:agreed: Card sharks are bad for the game imo.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I found out a guy I play with at my LGS shot his wife in the head and killed her.

He is a very nice guy and the court case hasn't really started yet but when I found out I was like. "Seriously? That dude head shot his wife?"

He still plays there and is now dating an attractive lawyer. Which seems like a good move in my opinion,

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I found out a guy I play with at my LGS shot his wife in the head and killed her.

He is a very nice guy and the court case hasn't really started yet but when I found out I was like. "Seriously? That dude head shot his wife?"

He still plays there and is now dating an attractive lawyer. Which seems like a good move in my opinion,

He's out on bail?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Unfortunately, this won't be going away, last time Levin was this enthusiastic with a public shame campaign was when some reviewer used the word, trigger warning: fag, on their twitter.

This prompted a public statement from H.B. and the renouncement of the guy's product privileges. Forgive me paying from my phone, is provide links otherwise.

He's got a head of steam, I don't see him letting up, especially now that lsv and efro are signed on.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Drew's a cool and good guy and I'm glad he's using his powers to effect positive change for the community.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Summary executions for all wizard poker enthusiasts imo

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

Drew's a cool and good guy and I'm glad he's using his powers to effect positive change for the community.

Yeah but can we also entertain the movie plot of him being a heroic and sympathetic mastermind who has never gotten over how Wescoe got him dq'd and he wants to dq as many people as possible.

I mean Levin owns basically.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

A true social justice warrior of our time. :agreed:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Zoness posted:

Yeah but can we also entertain the movie plot of him being a heroic and sympathetic mastermind who has never gotten over how Wescoe got him dq'd and he wants to dq as many people as possible.

Is Drew Levin the person the story that spawned the phrase "Wescoe Check" is about?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mcmagic posted:

He's out on bail?

Yeah I guess so. Don't know how but that's the situation.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Zoness posted:

I don't know his professional wizard slinging record. I just know his character. He used to play at the dinky FLGS basement dungeon (we had no other options back then) and got everyone to stop going there. I didn't even know he wrote for SCG until recently - haven't kept up with him since he moved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

I don't know his professional wizard slinging record. I just know his character. He used to play at the dinky FLGS basement dungeon (we had no other options back then) and got everyone to stop going there. I didn't even know he wrote for SCG until recently - haven't kept up with him since he moved.

I have respect for him for leading the crusade to get bertoncini wrecked the first time.

• Locked thread