Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The new culture sec said that his idea of public service broadcasting was documentaries nobody will watch, so BBC4 should be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

The new culture sec said that his idea of public service broadcasting was documentaries nobody will watch, so BBC4 should be good.

Well in the past he has said he opposes the license fee, so they won't have any money to make documentaries nobody will watch, unless they have adverts.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
there's one on bbc4 about Hitler and his charisma. it's a good watch.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Speaking of hidden gems on BBC3, I've been binging through Ideal and it's a pretty good show. Cancelled as usual, though.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Ideal is one of that brace of shows that gave people hope for BBC3.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Yes, there's quite a lot of shite. But it produces a good deal of hidden gems too. It's funny watching that Banished on BBC1, knowing that the main character got his break in possibly the lowest budget sitcom ever made by the BBC, using a single set and a cast of half a dozen people.

Only if you completely discount The History Boys and everything else in between.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Black Mirror might be moving to Netflix. I can't really see the U.S. spinoff happening if that happens, but Netflix is supposedly really aggressive about getting it, so maybe they'll burn the American version.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Ddraig posted:

Speaking of hidden gems on BBC3, I've been binging through Ideal and it's a pretty good show. Cancelled as usual, though.

It is bloody brilliant and I am saddened that it might never get that TV Movie conclusion to the series Graham Duff wanted a few years ago. Everyone involved with it is doing alright these days at least.

Have fun looking for the source of all that music, the bloody CD with the soundtrack is out of print and costs an arm and leg 2nd hand.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Anybody watch that new quiz show Decimate? They had a guy on there today who guessed that Michael Gove earned the nickname Milk Snatcher for banning free school milk.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Gove Gove Milk Foe-ve.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

cloudchamber posted:

Anybody watch that new quiz show Decimate? They had a guy on there today who guessed that Michael Gove earned the nickname Milk Snatcher for banning free school milk.

I'm assuming they start with 10 people, and if they fail to reach an appointed target, one of them is publicly executed.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm assuming they start with 10 people, and if they fail to reach an appointed target, one of them is publicly executed.

By the other 9, if we're playing by the rules. :hist101:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Who is Robert Peston and why does he put unnecessary emphasis in strange places like he's presenting a fake news segment on Charlie Brooker's weekly wipe?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The BBC economics guy? He's a weird one, and sometimes an actual idiot.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
And has had voice coaching to help with his speech impediment.

Story time! Once had him ISDN in for an interview session at the university I worked at. We were feeding him into the lecture theatre and the guys on stage could talk back to him. He came in one minute before the event was due to start and we could hear him down the line from Broadcasting House complain to his assistant that he'd been in the pub from 5pm and had had a few pints and had struggled to get back in time. He then said "with my voice people think I'm pissed anyway".

Sent his audio to the room after that and he got through the hour like he was sober as a judge. Great booking and very entertaining.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Republican Vampire posted:

Black Mirror might be moving to Netflix. I can't really see the U.S. spinoff happening if that happens, but Netflix is supposedly really aggressive about getting it, so maybe they'll burn the American version.

I didn't think the US one was a thing, just that Robert Downey Jr's production company bought the rights to 'The Entire History Of You'. Netflix are making some great buys though, and will definitely give the show a bigger budget that C4 do.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

I didn't think the US one was a thing, just that Robert Downey Jr's production company bought the rights to 'The Entire History Of You'. Netflix are making some great buys though, and will definitely give the show a bigger budget that C4 do.

The US remake was separate, Endemol was shopping it around, with Netflix and HBO being the most interested parties.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Black mirror is on us Netflix and is really popular, why would anyone want to remake it

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Black mirror is on us Netflix and is really popular, why would anyone want to remake it

Because America is a deeply insular nation and you're lucky if 10% of them would consider watching something foreign, even if it's contemporary and in English. Or at least that's the commercial premise their media conglomerates operate on.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

GimpChimp posted:

Because America is a deeply insular nation and you're lucky if 10% of them would consider watching something foreign, even if it's contemporary and in English. Or at least that's the commercial premise their media conglomerates operate on.

This is true, but you'd think the huge nerd success of Doctor Who would have loosened them up.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

GimpChimp posted:

There's a bit more to it than that. Whoever winds up running it will also own the American version, which means they get all the money that isn't paid out to the production company. Endemol will also get more money off of an existing piece of IP rather than having to develop new ones.

I doubt that they'd straight-up remake episodes, because that would be doubly redundant on an anthology show.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Americans are a getting a little more savvy with British TV now that Netflix has been picking up a lot of it. I keep seeing my Facebook feed fill up with the bigger American media websites talking up things like Peep Show, Toast of London, Happy Vally and Inside No 9 after Netflix made them available there.

The Black Mirror thing confuses me because I don't see any point in remaking an anthology show, or even aggressively pursuing it unless you just really want Brooker.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
A Netflix funded 12 episode run, with Brooker at the helm but with a worldwide outlook would be a fun thing to see. I definitely don't seen Netflix remaking any of the episodes, just additional ones.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 16, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'd rather take it without him. I'm over my complete boredom of seeing him completely oversubscribed and used in a 'thinking mans Jimmy Carr' sense, but I've never thought his fictional writing was up to scratch. Especially for someone who professionally picks apart television.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Gorn Myson posted:

Americans are a getting a little more savvy with British TV now that Netflix has been picking up a lot of it. I keep seeing my Facebook feed fill up with the bigger American media websites talking up things like Peep Show, Toast of London, Happy Vally and Inside No 9 after Netflix made them available there.

The Black Mirror thing confuses me because I don't see any point in remaking an anthology show, or even aggressively pursuing it unless you just really want Brooker.

I think they want the name and the format. It's done pretty well for them. Hence the move from talk of a US version to talk of Netflix acquiring the show outright.

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
Me and my friend have been working our way through the first three seasons of Him and Her.

Laura and her father are loving awful. Kudos to the actors for playing such smug, condescending people.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

King Crab posted:

Me and my friend have been working our way through the first three seasons of Him and Her.

Laura and her father are loving awful. Kudos to the actors for playing such smug, condescending people.

Laura is the best TV villain for years and it's a shame the show never got the exposure it deserved.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, Laura deserves a place on the pantheon of great TV villains. She's just awful in every single way, and what's worse is that she never gets her comeuppance.

Nigel is up there too, just for being a complete prick, but not as comprehensively awful as Laura.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Haha, turned over to ITV and there was a game show called Tipping Point based around those 2p machines you get at the amusements.

Come to think of it, last time I randomly watched ITV I saw Jamelia drinking her own piss, so this is an improvement.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's been around for ages. My mum likes it, she thinks its hilarious.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

The Alan Partridge movie is on iPlayer for those who never saw it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

King Crab posted:

They did a fine job, I worry about them both in case they run into the people who can't tell from telly and real life.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
The people who made Atlantis really assumed that they'd get another series.
Jason and the Argonauts would have been fun. :sigh:

Royality
Jun 27, 2006
Murder In Successville makes me cry with laughter every time an actor corpses. It's really great!

Panorama
Jul 25, 2003
Really looking forward to Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell tonight. Eddie Marsen and Paul Kaye really look the part in the preview.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I thought the synopsis of Murder in Successville for tonight had Matt Berry in it, but no it's Mary Berry. Talk about anticlimax.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 17, 2015

RedLobster
Nov 19, 2010

Original Character
!DO NOT STEAL!
Thanks ruining it for me >:(

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is that a spoiler? I'll mark it as such. I've not seen the first episode and casting info isn't usually the case around here. Sorry!

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

goatface posted:

That's been around for ages. My mum likes it, she thinks its hilarious.

I like it. It's really stupid, no doubt, but it's so ridiculous it's sort of enjoyable. Like a weak TV Go Home entry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is that a spoiler? I'll mark it as such. I've not seen the first episode and casting info isn't usually the case around here. Sorry!

I'm pretty certain he wasn't being serious