Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Master Twig posted:

Ashley furniture is very low quality. I worked in a furniture store for over three years and the Ashley stuff was our low end cheap garbage that we got to put in advertisements and to sell to lower income families.

I don't know poo poo about furniture but at least now I know one company to avoid. thank you OSHA.jpg thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

bullet3 posted:

If you look closely, you'll see that he gets crushed, and another guy lands directly on top of him and hobbles away. 2nd guy lands on almost the exact same spot so it's difficult to see at first

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Edit

goodness fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 8, 2015

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

zakharov posted:

Cross post from the Everest thread. This is the most metal sign I have ever seen.

that sign is designed to scare away divers not trained for caves. They are placed at the point where the light from outside ends. We go beyond those all the time, in popular caves there are miles of set guideline past them. The first time I went past the reaper I felt pretty metal though

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Bishop posted:

that sign is designed to scare away divers not trained for caves. They are placed at the point where the light from outside ends. We go beyond those all the time, in popular caves there are miles of set guideline past them. The first time I went past the reaper I felt pretty metal though

What involves cave diving training?

I'm assuming knowing how to read a compass is one after that idk. I don't know how to dive to begin with except you gotta go backwards cuz it looks cool

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Among other things, it's much harder to orient yourself in three dimensions than you think it is, especially in perfect darkness, so get turned around once and you're in that cave for good-- left-hand-to-wall only works on 2D mazes. You need a line to follow on your way back, and you need to know how to manage the line so it doesn't tangle and pin you in the cave or bind you in some way that prevents swimming.

e: imagine a cave in minecraft except you can't leave markers of any real sort, and you're on a time limit that makes you think ":smug: I have LOTS of time before I run out of air!"

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 8, 2015

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

cave diving seems like some dumb poo poo, there's not even anything cool to see in those holes.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Why would u dive in perfect darkness.

I feel like lights are involved

Shions of Qud

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

verbal enema posted:

Why would u dive in perfect darkness.

I feel like lights are involved

Lights that you bring with you, shoulder- or head-mounted, are pretty useless for orienting yourself since there's no point of reference. A single rock can look totally different coming and going thanks to shadows.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 8, 2015

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

verbal enema posted:

I'm assuming knowing how to read a compass is one after that idk. I don't know how to dive to begin with except you gotta go backwards cuz it looks cool
in broad strokes: you need very good buoyancy control, and mastery of kicking techniques that do not kick up silt. You need to be comfortable in situations that most divers would panic in. You need a diving rig with a minimum of 3 lights, primary, backup and backup to the backup. 3 knives because becoming entangled in your guideline is a common way to die. You need to be good at running a tight guideline and tying it off on rocks along the way (this is a lot harder than it sounds). And always stay on or be running line.

In training I've had to remove my mask, close my eyes, find the guideline, and follow it until I get out of the cave. It's definitely not a hobby for everyone

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'll just look at water than I guess

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

the solution is clearly to put something in that cave worth dying for

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Just get a regular open water certification and see some sweet fish and coral. That's easy and safe

Edit: there are some seriously beautiful things in caves

Bishop fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 8, 2015

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'll just drive those cool convertible car subs into the cave

Shions of Qud

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

verbal enema posted:

One of my colleagues is insane a cave diver and they had fun training stuff like: Diving in complete darkness in a cave while the diving teacher turns your air off and grabs your mask off. I kinda understand hardcore training if you are a rescue diver and you need to deal with all kinds of underwater poo poo, but gently caress that poo poo as a hobby. Just gently caress it. No way.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

verbal enema posted:

I'll just drive those cool convertible car subs into the cave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtlwoX1YEmg
No you won't

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1iaa04rCf0
"Each survival principle that a cave diver applies today, was learned at the cost of someone's life."

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
I

FlyinPingu posted:

cave diving seems like some dumb poo poo, there's not even anything cool to see in those holes.

Actually, one of the most beautiful features of nature in the world exists in caves only

Look up Haloclines. I would link if I wasn't on my phone.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

goodness posted:

I

Actually, one of the most beautiful features of nature in the world exists in caves only

Look up Haloclines. I would link if I wasn't on my phone.

Those are the "underwater lakes" right? I think they form when you get a pocket of lower salinity water trapped under water of higher salinity and, if left undisturbed, the water will stratify. They're common around/in caves because of the pressure and temperature differences or something.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Pingiivi posted:

One of my colleagues is insane a cave diver and they had fun training stuff like: Diving in complete darkness in a cave while the diving teacher turns your air off and grabs your mask off. I kinda understand hardcore training if you are a rescue diver and you need to deal with all kinds of underwater poo poo, but gently caress that poo poo as a hobby. Just gently caress it. No way.
rescue diver is the only class I've taken where I've been like, assaulted underwater by the instructor. In everything else what they typically do is signal to you and "break" a piece of your gear and you go along with it. Having a a guy break both my masks, one of my tanks, and all three of my lights was pretty lol though because I had no idea it was coming.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Any hobby where you can be perfectly well trained, take tons of precautions, have decades of experience, and still have a very non-trivial likelihood of death is definitely not for me.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

C.M. Kruger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1iaa04rCf0
"Each survival principle that a cave diver applies today, was learned at the cost of someone's life."

Every survival principle in everything ever was learned at the cost of someone's life.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Bishop posted:

rescue diver is the only class I've taken where I've been like, assaulted underwater by the instructor. In everything else what they typically do is signal to you and "break" a piece of your gear and you go along with it. Having a a guy break both my masks, one of my tanks, and all three of my lights was pretty lol though because I had no idea it was coming.

you have a strange definition of 'pretty lol'

have you ever panicked while cave diving or would you just be die if you did?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I scuba dive also, but I enjoy looking at the beautiful wildlife, not getting crammed into a small cave. I've always wanted to do those lagoon dives around the Caribbean though, they look so beautiful. I love scuba diving.

edit: Even in basic open water training they take off your mask, make you take off your BC and put it back on underwater, take off your reg and BC and put it back on, just things that can go wrong so you don't panic if it does happen.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

spacemang_spliff posted:

I know it was 30 pages ago, but how the hell did Ashley Furniture rack up 1,000 reportable injuries?

I mean, it's obvious that their management didn't give a poo poo (look at their response). Why would you buy anything from them? If they don't care about their employee health and safety, why would they care about quality?

Sure a lot of things can be an OSHA reportable, but the vast majority of the time it's stuff that's avoidable.

Having worked in a furniture plant that also made low quality furnishings, I'd take this with a grain of salt. We were told to report -any- injuries. You couldn't get a band aid from the first aid kit without filling out an official incident report. I understand where they're coming from, but it was ridiculous. We were working with unfinished wood and staple guns all day, so of course we'd get nicks and scratches all the time. The system didn't differentiate between someone having a piece of furniture fall on them and someone getting a splinter. Both incidents reflected negatively on your assembly line at review time and (I think) affected productivity bonus pay outs. So we just ended up bringing pocketfuls of band aids with us to avoid reporting minor bullshit.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Enfys posted:

you have a strange definition of 'pretty lol'

have you ever panicked while cave diving or would you just be die if you did?
Im not some badass navy seal or anything but for whatever reason I just don't panic underwater, and I've been diving almost 20 years now. The most freaked out I ever got was probably on a solo wreck dive. I was going to the engine room and had to remove some gear to get through a small rusted hole, then put it back on once inside. On my way out I realize i had jammed some bolt snaps and could not get the stuff off, effectively trapping me inside. I worked it out but I was about to start sawing at straps with my knife to get out of my rig

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Bishop posted:

solo wreck dive...had to remove some gear to get through a small rusted hole

That's some insane poo poo.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bishop posted:

Im not some badass navy seal or anything but for whatever reason I just don't panic underwater, and I've been diving almost 20 years now. The most freaked out I ever got was probably on a solo wreck dive. I was going to the engine room and had to remove some gear to get through a small rusted hole, then put it back on once inside. On my way out I realize i had jammed some bolt snaps and could not get the stuff off, effectively trapping me inside. I worked it out but I was about to start sawing at straps with my knife to get out of my rig

Under what circumstances would you decide to go solo dive a wreck instead of going with a partner?

I am assuming solo diving multiplies your risk by a whole lot.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Leperflesh posted:

Under what circumstances would you decide to go solo dive a wreck instead of going with a partner?

You got tired of playing Russian roulette?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
hell, you're supposed to do dry spelunking with 3 people

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Leperflesh posted:

I am assuming solo diving multiplies your risk by a whole lot.
well it's not safe and violates a cardinal rule of overhead environment diving. I will say it reduces the chance of a silt out a lot because it's just you. Silt outs make your 1000+ dollar primary light useless and the worst I've been in are because a team of divers combine to kick all of it up. On a wreck/cave rig everything is redundant and a catastrophic failure with your breathing gas is pretty unlikely.

The most I've been injured was when the guy in front of me hit a hatch with his fin, which in turn fell on my head and kicked up enough silt to completely blind me for instance. It's still a big no-no to go solo but it happens a lot more than people think, I'm just open about it

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Why do you go solo?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Enfys posted:

Why do you go solo?

Same reason you do anything solo: you're a repulsive nerd who has no friends and will never find love
Well, that's my reason anyway

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Enfys posted:

Why do you go solo?
eh, a lot of the time I'm either going on a whim on my own boat, or I'm on a commercial boat where I'm the only technical diver. I've never done a cave solo because I'm a much more experienced wreck diver than cave diver, even if the two have a lot in common. I also only do it on wrecks I'm very familiar with, or shallow reefs where basically nothing could go wrong. The one I've solo dove the most is a wreck tourists buy t-shirts saying they saw the outside of while I'm in the engine room with 300ft of line laid from the nearest entrance, and I stopped logging dives on it when I hit 100 a few years ago. Don't dive solo but I'm not going to lie either.

E: I'm not trying to make this thread about me. We have a scuba thread in a/t that covers all the safe and awesome stuff you can do with regular diving if you are interested, plus a few tech divers willing to answer questions about our insane death wish of a hobby

Bishop fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 9, 2015

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Bishop posted:

eh, a lot of the time I'm either going on a whim on my own boat, or I'm on a commercial boat where I'm the only technical diver. I've never done a cave solo because I'm a much more experienced wreck diver than cave diver, even if the two have a lot in common. I also only do it on wrecks I'm very familiar with, or shallow reefs where basically nothing could go wrong. The one I've solo dove the most is a wreck tourists buy t-shirts saying they saw the outside of while I'm in the engine room with 300ft of line laid from the nearest entrance, and I stopped logging dives on it when I hit 100 a few years ago. Don't dive solo but I'm not going to lie either.

E: I'm not trying to make this thread about me. We have a scuba thread in a/t that covers all the safe and awesome stuff you can do with regular diving if you are interested, plus a few tech divers willing to answer questions about our insane death wish of a hobby

You should feel bad for getting complacent about your standards, failing to practice what you preach, being completely reckless, and bragging about it in the OPERATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH ADMINISTRATION thread.

I hope nothing bad happens to you, but if it does I hope that is the last thought in your head.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Wasabi the J posted:

I hope nothing bad happens to you, but if it does I hope that someone posts about it here.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
My ex girlfriend was a certified cave diver and went out diving some relatively easy caves with her former instructor and another friend of theirs.

We spread her ashes in the gulf 7 years ago.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Skinny King Pimp posted:

My ex girlfriend was a certified cave diver and went out diving some relatively easy caves with her former instructor and another friend of theirs.

Pretty harsh of you dumping her back into the water after all that imo

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Skinny King Pimp posted:

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

Pretty harsh of you dumping her back into the water after all that imo

I'm caught between laughing and being utterly horrified at myself for finding this funny.

• Locked thread