Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
One of the guys at the shop got one of these for free.

He said we should build something out of it and I said how about a 50cc race bike for the vintage bike race club our shop is in. He was like let's do it. Now we need a front end and an engine. 50cc engines with real (not moped) gearboxes are kinda rare in the US. Thought we'd have to ebay a Kreidler or Simson or RD50 from Europe. But then a friend of his today told us he has a spare engine from one of these Sears things.

4-speed Puch motor, standard foot shifter, multiplate clutch. So we bought it off him and started tearing it apart. Hopefully next year we'll have it pulling 3 minute lap times on the shortest roadrace track in America. Maybe with a full fairing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watsabi
Jul 4, 2012
Temp sensor just arrived... To the Bike Cave and finish the vapor install on the Dizzer.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Maybe with a full fairing.

Maybe? You mean definitely.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

4-speed Puch motor, standard foot shifter, multiplate clutch. So we bought it off him and started tearing it apart. Hopefully next year we'll have it pulling 3 minute lap times on the shortest roadrace track in America. Maybe with a full fairing.

Keep us updated on this, seriously. I want to see what a home-built vintage Aprilia RS50 looks like in the end.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
New dunlop q3's on my fz6 and some motocamping urbex goodness with me and my goon friend and his speed triple - ill post more pics later!

Betty
Apr 14, 2008
Bought some basic anti theft gear for the zx6r. I'm in a pretty low crime area but hey, a disk lock and a decent chain really isn't that expensive.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Cleaned my bike a bit and put in the db killer for the germany weekend next week. I love the exhoust with the baffle in! It makes the bike run better, funnily enough.

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006
It was time to change the chain on the Bonneville, so I went with the Supersprox kit that has a lifetime guarantee. (And totally not just because the gold chain matches the gold on my bike...). Apparently the first owner changed the gearing from stock to make it more highway-cruising friendly, and I ordered the stock gearing with this kit. After putting it on, it's a totally new bike! Super smooth through the lower gearing, and just a little bit higher rpms at highway speeds. For my usual riding style of dodging piles of horse poo poo in Amish country, this change is perfect.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Rode the Bandit to work for the first time this season :3:

Got a call from the local place that my Honda's brake lever had arrived. Picked it up after work, did a quick eyeball against the remains of the current one. Of course it's the wrong one. :(

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Added hazard lights.
Just another thing for bay area motorists to ignore.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Dr. Light posted:

It was time to change the chain on the Bonneville, so I went with the Supersprox kit that has a lifetime guarantee.
Wait, what does this mean? Lifetime guarantee on a part that wears out by definition?

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
Bought another one!

2012 ninja 650r. Within 1600 miles squid PO squided bike into something (He was being very vague about what) and bent the gently caress out of the forks, triple tree and bars, and cracked front plastics.

I got the bike from him for 2800, and spent 400 on new forks, tree and bars.

bent forks on bike:

Off bike:

New tree and poo poo:

New bars on bike:

Dad used his expertise to fix the plastics using structural adhesive and a little elbow grease:

next step is put the rest of the fairings on and price out some paint for the plastics. Oh and a fender eliminator. PO had one on it but he went and bought another 650 and slapped it on that one.

Oglogoth fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 9, 2015

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

Wait, what does this mean? Lifetime guarantee on a part that wears out by definition?

Yep! I had to check it a few times, but that's exactly what it means. Even if it's 10 years down the road, or 20,000 miles, they'll replace sprockets and chain for the cost of shipping.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Dr. Light posted:

Yep! I had to check it a few times, but that's exactly what it means. Even if it's 10 years down the road, or 20,000 miles, they'll replace sprockets and chain for the cost of shipping.

:eyepop: that sounds too good to be true. Surely there's a catch.

Watsabi
Jul 4, 2012
I swapped over my SM wheels back to the DRZ and put on a new chain so I can make wheel sets easier to switch in and out. I haven't ridden it in about a month so I was itching to hoon for a bit. I had the battery on the tender over night and it said it was good to go. Granted the battery was on its last legs when I bought the bike so I never have trusted it. Well, today it gave up the ghost and died about a mile from home and over 2 hills. Coasting to a stop trying to keep dumping the clutch and keep it running yelling "NO NO NO NOOOOOOO....gently caress"

I knew I shouldn't have pushed it when it wasn't wanting to start up very easy and cranking weakly. I thought to myself "hey, I can just bump start this pig and get the charge going, it will be fine..."

After pushing the bike home over the hills and in 85* heat with gear, I immediately ordered a new battery. I just can't bear to abuse my Tiger the same way as my sumo.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The 'catch' is the average person that buys it won't put 20,000 miles on it.

Watsabi
Jul 4, 2012

Schroeder91 posted:

:eyepop: that sounds too good to be true. Surely there's a catch.

Yeah, I have a bit of a bad taste from SuperSprox about that. I purchased their sprockets and same exact chain and sprocket kit they sell from a regular motorcycle website (RMATV) but they weren't willing to warranty the sprocket when it was worn out. seriously bullshit. They are good sprockets and I still use them but I ignore their "warranty"

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Gnarly Charlie showed me how to replace my chain! The old one was pretty hosed up, tons of tight spots. Bike feels so much better now. Thanks again dude!

bling bling all gold everything

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

nsaP posted:

The 'catch' is the average person that buys it won't put 20,000 miles on it.

I got a supersprox last time and it didn't last 20k miles. I was doing 12-15k/yr for a couple of years and had to replace chain and sprocket yearly.

Watsabi posted:

Yeah, I have a bit of a bad taste from SuperSprox about that. I purchased their sprockets and same exact chain and sprocket kit they sell from a regular motorcycle website (RMATV) but they weren't willing to warranty the sprocket when it was worn out. seriously bullshit. They are good sprockets and I still use them but I ignore their "warranty"

Why wouldn't they honor the warranty? Because you didn't buy direct from them or a dealer? I would like to know more.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Oglogoth posted:

Off bike:

:stare:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

New tires, tubes, spark plug, coolant overflow tank, some gasket I don't remember the name of, and oil. Pulled the carb, and all the jets look clean. On Monday I get an air filter and ignition coil. Once all that's in I'll put it together and hopefully the bastard will stop misfiring. Eventually I'll get around to washing it so I can apply some new swingarm decals since the old ones fell off somewhere.

e: I didn't just replace the coil on a whim because it's misfiring. It was pretty out of spec when I checked it with a multimeter, so either it's the source of my problem or it's about to be. Also my foam air filter is starting to disintegrate.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 9, 2015

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

Yeah, PO said he hit a curb. Must have been one crazy fuckin curb.

Did more work on bike today, including plasti-dipping the headlight cowl and making a custom a fender eliminator.

Plasti-dipped cowl:

Painted clear windscreen:

Grinding down the fender:

Couple shots of everything on bike:

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

M42 posted:

Gnarly Charlie showed me how to replace my chain! The old one was pretty hosed up, tons of tight spots. Bike feels so much better now. Thanks again dude!

That's turning into a really good looking SV

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

M42 posted:

Not just the chain I hope? Sprockets too?

Watsabi
Jul 4, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Why wouldn't they honor the warranty? Because you didn't buy direct from them or a dealer? I would like to know more.

Exactly, because I didn't buy it from them direct and saved a few extra dollars by going through a different online retailer. Same exact chain Super Sprox would have sold me with their kit but since it wasn't direct, they weren't keen on honoring the warranty.

They have a special guarantee they issue when a kit is purchased from them directly, then you have to mail them back the form. If you read closely it basically says you only get one replacement since the replacement items don't come with a new guarantee.

they have plenty of outs not to replace something in their wording obviously. Still nice sprockets though and I will still pay the extra $ for them.

https://www.supersproxusa.com/our_guarantee.php

mostly my bad for not reading the fine print to begin with and only looked for a warranty after I wore a set out. No biggie.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Took my learner bike for a few laps of the block to run some fuel through it, get some charge into the battery and put fresh petrol in it as what was in the tank was over two years old and the bike wasn't responding well to throttle. I think the battery was too hosed as when I got home I was testing the throttle response before shutting it down and it got sluggish, pinged a bit, then died. Battery was too dead to restart. So, I guess I'll be grabbing a new battery and going for another test ride before I finally put it up for sale.

Cleaned the chain on the StripleR, gently caress me, kerosene is magical stuff. Lifts the lube right off and gets everything sparkling, cleans flung off lube off the rear wheel, and instantly dissolved some asphalt which had melted onto the pipe after a stone got flicked up from some roadwork a few weeks back. Re-lubed the chain, checked slack, took it for a little run to warm the chain up and get the lube nicely distributed. Unfortunately that was all I had time for.

Going from 40hp to 106hp back-to-back sure is fun.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I finished getting the F4i ready for the track next weekend.

* Bled the front brakes
* Tried to find the best compromise for cable routing and steering range with the aftermarket clipons. With all the loving around I do on the cabling, I feel like I should probably just order the stock risers and run those.
* Did babby's first safety wiring job on the oil drain plug and filter. This track group doesn't require it, but it will give me peace of mind.
* Put all the bodywork back on.
* Fired it up and rev'd it a few times before realizing it was 10PM and I was probably pissing my neighbors off.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kuffs posted:

I finished getting the F4i ready for the track next weekend.

* Bled the front brakes
* Tried to find the best compromise for cable routing and steering range with the aftermarket clipons. With all the loving around I do on the cabling, I feel like I should probably just order the stock risers and run those.
* Did babby's first safety wiring job on the oil drain plug and filter. This track group doesn't require it, but it will give me peace of mind.
* Put all the bodywork back on.
* Fired it up and rev'd it a few times before realizing it was 10PM and I was probably pissing my neighbors off.

Finished getting the SV650 ready for the track this weekend.

* Raised the front and rear back to stock height
* Adjusted the chain
* Changed out the front brake pads
* Bedded in the pads / Rode it around to make sure everything was OK after changing the height
* Changed the oil
* Freehand drilled my drain bolt for safety wire

Ready to go ride around a track in the rain :saddowns:

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Ordered some doubletake mirrors and some spoked wheel weights.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Went to the CA DMV to do a change of ownership of my old Ninja 500R to be in my name and to get a CA title. Somehow I got an appointment for two hours after I checked and the whole process took 40 minutes. :confused:. Later this week is an adventure replacing the steering bearings.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Started tearing down my XR100 today.

Went from this:

To this:

Here's a question. Is this exhaust salvageable or should I plan on junking it?

Also, bonus video of the nice smooth steering head. Glad I was planning to replace this anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytSPQbb10_k

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Replace the pipe. Saves weight and lets the engine breath a bit.

Watsabi
Jul 4, 2012

Koruthaiolos posted:

Also, bonus video of the nice smooth steering head. Glad I was planning to replace this anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytSPQbb10_k

rare indexed steering model! right on. Usually when i've seen bad ones they are just a single notch in the middle but that is impressive.

I put a new set of Pastrana FMX contour bars and pillow top grips on the DRZ today while waiting for the new battery to arrive. Now I'm out of projects to do to it really, just waiting for parts so I can go hooning. I guess I can start cleaning the work bench off.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This to me screams 'PO decided to check the head bearings, realised they were rooted and just tightened the poo poo out of the nut'. Thus making things considerably worse. Very impressive!

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Forks off for some 20wt oil and spacers, chain shortened and cleaned and lubed , and a lighter flywheel installed.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

I took my first post-MSF solo ride today!!

...to my doctor.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

Revvik posted:

...to my doctor.

drat that's sharp looking.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

DOCtah...I gotta FEvah. And the only KYAW...is maw Kawasakis. Seconded, this is tastefully done.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Revvik posted:

...to my doctor.

Congrats. Nice looking bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Revvik posted:

...to my doctor.

Wowzers that's nice. Proper way of fixing up an ancient bike.