Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
What kind of cats do you guys have? I've never had stink problems, regardless of the litter, and right now, with a bentonite litter my cat's toilet is right in my bedroom, 2 meters away from my pillow. :shug: I encountered a stink problem(ish) with my grandparents' cat, but they refuse to pour any more than a microscopic layer of litter, I guess to prevent the cat throwing the litter out.

Another thing, I'm definitely cleaning my cat's eye boogers mostly out of one eye. I wonder if that's something I should worry about.

Also, I wonder if anyone has any thoughts about what I should do with my hand-savaging cat? After coming back from vacation I took her out in the carrier again and she was very agitated on the way out, whether because of the week-long break, or because of the association with the hand-savaging episode. The thing is, I don't know if there is a point in teaching her to walk on a leash. For dogs it's a requirement, for cats it's a bonus. Except my cat's going to start getting more and more enthusiastic about going outside on her own, with it getting more and more summery. The carrier-walks tentatively seem to mollify her in that respect. On the other hand, if it's just in my head, I should probably get the flea collar before I eventually give in and open a window for my cat to climb out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

supermikhail posted:

What kind of cats do you guys have? I've never had stink problems, regardless of the litter, and right now, with a bentonite litter my cat's toilet is right in my bedroom, 2 meters away from my pillow. :shug: I encountered a stink problem(ish) with my grandparents' cat, but they refuse to pour any more than a microscopic layer of litter, I guess to prevent the cat throwing the litter out.

My cat is just a cat! Maybe it's the food she's eating, but I'm pretty sure cat crap always stinks like hell no matter what they're eating.

supermikhail posted:

Also, I wonder if anyone has any thoughts about what I should do with my hand-savaging cat? After coming back from vacation I took her out in the carrier again and she was very agitated on the way out, whether because of the week-long break, or because of the association with the hand-savaging episode. The thing is, I don't know if there is a point in teaching her to walk on a leash. For dogs it's a requirement, for cats it's a bonus. Except my cat's going to start getting more and more enthusiastic about going outside on her own, with it getting more and more summery. The carrier-walks tentatively seem to mollify her in that respect. On the other hand, if it's just in my head, I should probably get the flea collar before I eventually give in and open a window for my cat to climb out of.

I'm not sure I understand what's going on here. If you're taking your cat out with a leash, why is a carrier involved? In general, if she's getting agitated about something then stop doing it unless it's something necessary. There's no point to trying to force your cat to get used to something that stresses her out so much that she would go for your hand like that.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
You just made me realise how much i miss walking my cats. I'd put my dog on a leash and both cat would just follow us wherever we went. People always thought it odd, but what do they know :shrug:

I cant do that because they need to learn they can't go outside anymore. Im moving in a few months in an area where people tend to kill cats left outside. I dont want anything to happen to them so they must become inside cats. They are not happy about this and may explain why my fat one gained so much weight.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

supermikhail posted:

Another thing, I'm definitely cleaning my cat's eye boogers mostly out of one eye. I wonder if that's something I should worry about.

Eye boogers are common, but if it's an everyday thing, i'd have it looked at pronto. Could be an infection, or allergy that needs to be addressed. (Stinky poo too)

In my experience- Indoor cats stay indoors, and if they want to have redirected aggression because of neighbor's cats on the patio- so be it.

I find that those harness/leash combos never work with cats, unless you start them really early.

Hand savaging? Have you tired letting the cat be for a bit, to see if it has trust issues? I have a tortoiseshell, and she had major trust issues, and always swiped and complained if I held her (she still doesn't like holding, unless she comes to sit herself). Let time work itself out, and let the cat become comfortable with you. Avoid tummy rubbings, quick or rough movements, and also avoid areas that the cat doesn't like to be touched. (Unlike my tabby, my tortoiseshell doesn't like butt rubs, or anything near her hind legs.) Try to avoid the urge to grab kitty, and love all over. The struggle is real. I finally left her alone for a while, and now my tortoiseshell climbs under the covers, and licks and bites at my arms, and tank tops. I think she may have been incorrectly weened.

As for the flea collar- Skip it. If you don't want fleas, don't let your kitty roam the outdoors. The flea collars are actually quite toxic.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

For leash training I would probably start with the cat wearing the harness in the house and getting used to it, rather than taking the cat out in a carrier. Unless you're trying to train her to ride in the car or something? I don't really understand the logic behind the carrier.

For flea treatment, I'd get kitty a spot treatment once a month rather than a flea collar.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Oh. About the toxicity of flea collars, that's a shame. I thought it's a handy identifier that a cat's taken, in addition to flea protection. Oh, well.

Anyway, I posted about the hand-savaging in the thread earlier, and wasn't sure how much reiteration was required. Basically, throughout the spring I've been getting my cat used to the carrier, so she would stress out less about going to a vet, and I succeeded to a degree. Except a few days after the latest vaccination on the walk I decided to "take the next step" and opened the carrier onto a lawn. The cat ran out, got surprised by the tug of her leash, and changed into an embodiment of the fight-or-flight response, as I'm starting to call it. After which I had to wear a bandage for several days. Otherwise there are no aggression issues at home.

Putting on the body part of the leash at home sounds like an idea worth trying.

Oh, also

Organza Quiz posted:

My cat is just a cat! Maybe it's the food she's eating, but I'm pretty sure cat crap always stinks like hell no matter what they're eating.

Cat crap? That's odd, in my experience the urine is the stinkiest part. :shrug:

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Urine tends to be stinkier if your cat isn't desexed. It sounds like she's quite young, is she spayed yet? As for identification, a regular breakaway collar with a tag works well, and it's a good idea to get her microchipped. A lot of people still like ear tattoos as permanent identification too, as you don't need a scanner to know that this cat has belonged to people at some point, but they can fade and blur.

A friend of mine lost his cat for over a year, and the cat was returned when it was handed in to a shelter and they scanned it and BAM! Friend's phone number. Our shelter has just started chipping in April and we've already had two successful pet/owner reunions from it.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
Nope, my cat is almost 7 -- 6.5 of that desexed. Last year she peed in the carrier at the vet's, and that was a bit of a problem. However not as far as the toilet is concerned. The urine's stinkiness is fresh on my mind because of my grandparents' cat who is unspayed, yes, and has the microscopic layer of litter. Fortunately, the litter box is in the bathroom where nobody cares.

I guess I'll come around the vet place today about the eye boogers and also ask about cat ID and collars.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Bina posted:

I find that those harness/leash combos never work with cats, unless you start them really early.

Pepper's an inside cat and I only got her that coat harness a couple of months ago (she's about two and a half years old). She absolutely loves going outside, and the harness doesn't bother her at all, it's like it's not even there. She goes outside with me and wanders around the back and front yard for 15-20 minutes, sniffing things and eating grass and rolling around in sand, then she trots inside to get fed.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
^^ That harness looks a lot different, and my cats aren't as slim.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Hey guys.
New cat pic. Here's Link. Enjoy!

He's come a long way. My earlier posts.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

SpaceAceJase posted:

Hey guys.

What a handsome pirate he is! Looks like he manages to jump around alright.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
We have never actually smelled my cat using the litter box. It's in a front room but the entire apartment is open and ~400 sq feet, so it's not hidden away. She's on 100% grain free food (nothing crazy, Instinct/Wellness) and isn't super large. Maybe she just goes during the day, but there's never any odor or anything. I buy this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MXLQI6O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Except it's usually $18 for 40Lbs shipped, which lasts about 2 months. Clumps well. Tracks, but we have no carpets so its pretty easy to deal with.

edit: we also have this REALLY BIG litter scoop my mom gave us which makes cleaning the box take around 5s. its like 2-3 sifts through the litter and its all gone, and one tiny pass with a smaller to get a few tiny pieces we missed.

xie fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 6, 2015

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

We've had Arcee since Monday night, since my sister went on vacation. Sheila's tolerating her surprisingly well, just some hissing and muttering, but Sheila spends most of her time sleeping upstairs, while Arcee follows my mom around downstairs. Arcee's a good kitten, but she does make it very difficult to photograph things for eBay.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Drum posted:

Arcee's a good kitten, but she does make it very difficult to photograph things for eBay.

Tali used to do the same thing

Then she got a bit too big for my lightbox.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SpaceAceJase posted:

Hey guys.

Need an eye patch stat

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Any tips for applying Revolution to a cat (Sadie) who absolutely loving hates topical medications or being restrained? I can't reliably get it on her skin because as soon as she feels me fiddling around back there she bolts, and you need two or three good squeezes to get all the liquid out of the packet. I was thinking about moving the revolution liquid to an empty oral dosing syringe to use that and give one good quick squirt right onto the skin.

Apparently the last dose of revolution didn't get enough on and she has fleas which aren't dieing miserable deaths like they should. :mad:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

Any tips for applying Revolution to a cat (Sadie) who absolutely loving hates topical medications or being restrained? I can't reliably get it on her skin because as soon as she feels me fiddling around back there she bolts, and you need two or three good squeezes to get all the liquid out of the packet. I was thinking about moving the revolution liquid to an empty oral dosing syringe to use that and give one good quick squirt right onto the skin.

Apparently the last dose of revolution didn't get enough on and she has fleas which aren't dieing miserable deaths like they should. :mad:

How does she do when binder clipped?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

You need somebody brave wearing leather gloves to hold her while you dose her, I guess. Our cats have learned to deal with it and hardly fuss at all anymore.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Shifty Pony posted:

have you tried while she's sleeping?

I recall she also really loves being brushed? can you possibly trick her doing that?

other than that yeah get someone who doesnt mind maybe getting bit/scratched to hold her while someone else does the drops

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sleeping or when she's sleepy is about the only way. And she's a light sleeper. Once she knows what I'm trying to do there is nothing that will get her to not hide. Even the almighty brush is powerless.

Apparently it is quite a bad flea year here.

Kubricize
Apr 29, 2010
How often does a female cat go into heat? Does it last a few days every month or is it one continuous thing till they get spayed? Can I do anything to prevent her from doing heat cycles other than getting her spayed, which can't happen for six months or so?

Before I get crucified for having an unaltered animal let me explain why she can't be spayed yet. Almost two weeks ago, on April 26th I found a stray cat that is has/had a whole host of problems. She either has a mild case of dwarfism or is severely inbred which has hosed her skeleton up. Her front legs are shortened so she walks on her tip toes on them and all four feet are weird, the back ones seems to have the bones fused and they don't flex up. So on the back feet she walks on the outside edge of one of her toes, with the feet pointing out. The most serious problem though was a huge umbilical hernia, the largest the vet has ever seen, that had ruptured, dumping all of her small and large intestines into a bag of skin the size of a nerf football, she weighed a little under five pounds when I saved her from being dog chow and was severely dehydrated and emaciated.

Being that I am a sucker who apparently hates money I brought her to a vet and asked them to either save her or put her down humanely since she is a sweet little thing that hasn't stopped purring or loving people, regardless of being dumped at the side of the road in the country. The vet did the surgery on the 28th, and as a bonus found another defect! An extended palate so she couldn't be intubated, had to use the mask. It took almost 3 hours and something ridiculous like 250 stitches and some of the skin on her inner legs but the vet was able to repair the hernia and remove the excess skin. Kitty Gem ( 4 year old named her) now has a gnarly 6 inch long scar and about 50 stitches that get removed on Monday. The plan was for her to get spayed while the vet was doing the hernia repair but she felt it would be unwise since the incision was already so large and the skin was so tight when she put her back together. She has said she doesn't want to do the spay now for 6 or 8 months at least to give everything a chance to heal and strengthen up so her intestines don't come out again. However Gem is either feeling so well that her body went into heat, or cats are bad at risk assessment but I now had a cone head cat still getting antibiotics and pain killers while yelling at my fixed male cat to gently caress her in this raspy frog croak voice.

I'll be talking to the vet on Monday when the sutures are removed, I was just wondering if in the mean time I can make her comfortable and not stressed out while she recovers.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Every few weeks for months. :v:

Apparently there's hormone shots they can get if spaying is not an option, but yeah, dont know if that's available to you. Hope things go smoothly til monday.

Also where's photos of this little beast!

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Kubricize posted:

How often does a female cat go into heat? Does it last a few days every month or is it one continuous thing till they get spayed? Can I do anything to prevent her from doing heat cycles other than getting her spayed, which can't happen for six months or so?

Before I get crucified for having an unaltered animal let me explain why she can't be spayed yet. Almost two weeks ago, on April 26th I found a stray cat that is has/had a whole host of problems. She either has a mild case of dwarfism or is severely inbred which has hosed her skeleton up. Her front legs are shortened so she walks on her tip toes on them and all four feet are weird, the back ones seems to have the bones fused and they don't flex up. So on the back feet she walks on the outside edge of one of her toes, with the feet pointing out. The most serious problem though was a huge umbilical hernia, the largest the vet has ever seen, that had ruptured, dumping all of her small and large intestines into a bag of skin the size of a nerf football, she weighed a little under five pounds when I saved her from being dog chow and was severely dehydrated and emaciated.

Being that I am a sucker who apparently hates money I brought her to a vet and asked them to either save her or put her down humanely since she is a sweet little thing that hasn't stopped purring or loving people, regardless of being dumped at the side of the road in the country. The vet did the surgery on the 28th, and as a bonus found another defect! An extended palate so she couldn't be intubated, had to use the mask. It took almost 3 hours and something ridiculous like 250 stitches and some of the skin on her inner legs but the vet was able to repair the hernia and remove the excess skin. Kitty Gem ( 4 year old named her) now has a gnarly 6 inch long scar and about 50 stitches that get removed on Monday. The plan was for her to get spayed while the vet was doing the hernia repair but she felt it would be unwise since the incision was already so large and the skin was so tight when she put her back together. She has said she doesn't want to do the spay now for 6 or 8 months at least to give everything a chance to heal and strengthen up so her intestines don't come out again. However Gem is either feeling so well that her body went into heat, or cats are bad at risk assessment but I now had a cone head cat still getting antibiotics and pain killers while yelling at my fixed male cat to gently caress her in this raspy frog croak voice.

I'll be talking to the vet on Monday when the sutures are removed, I was just wondering if in the mean time I can make her comfortable and not stressed out while she recovers.

You are a gem. You seriously are. This must have cost you a buttload of money. I am unsure if I would do the same for my cats that I've had for years, let alone a cat I had just found. I really, really, really (times 100) hope she lives a long happy life and brings you and your child a lot of joy.
Good luck with this and just know that you won your place in heaven, if you believe in that sorta thing.

To answer your question, each heat generally lasts several days - it can be as short as 1 day or as long as 7 days. If the queen is not mated during estrus, she will "go out of heat" for a short period of time, usually 1-2 weeks. Thus, the average complete estrus cycle of a cat is 1-3 weeks.

Be warned, it can be annoying as hell.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
My grandparents (who actually don't have any real excuse for not spaying) give their cat some kind of... medicine (it might be a shot) which is supposed to prevent heat, although I don't know how effective it is, since I was only around long enough to witness the cat going into heat. :downs: Presumably it was recommended by a vet.

Oh, yeah, kudos on the heroic act, although I can't decide if it's a horror story or a drama.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
So this has been my week:

My wife (Bookwyrm) and I inherited a 9-year-old cat from my sister 5 years ago, and she quickly mrowfed her way into our hearts and lungs.

Meet Mocha

Last Friday, our now 14-year-old kitty started acting odder than normal, and by last Sunday she was drinking quite a bit and peeing in odd places. Having been through this with a previous elderly cat, I immediately stated suspecting kidney issues. By the time I got home Monday, it was too late to take her to the regular vet, and so we made arrangements to do it on Tuesday.

Wyrm got home ahead of me, and after hearing her describe Mocha's condition, I figured it would be best to get our poor kitty to the vet right away. I went and joined them at the vet's office after work.

Bloodwork was done, and a physical exam with tummy palpitations that Mocha DID NOT WANT, but there wasn't enough urine left in her bladder to get a good sample. The vet told us that it's less likely to be her kidneys, and more likely to be "something in her abdomen". She wasn't sure what, but test results showed that she's fighting off some kind of thing - the results could indicate a tumour.

They gave her subcutaneous fluids to rehydrate her, and snuck in a free pain med shot that I wouldn't have been able to afford right away (thanks, doc!), and we took our kitty home to keep watch.

The first thing she did when she got home was barf, but without any food or water in her, it was just foam. The NEXT thing she did was go to her litter box and poop, which she hadn't done in the previous 48 hours. Then she ate a third of a can of wetfood, which is normally a special treat, and spent time awkwardly walking (stiff/sore back legs?) between rooms until we went to bed.

She didn't hop up and sleep with us that night :(

Wednesday morning was quieter. She had more wetfood, peed partly in and partly out of the litterbox, and left us another big puddle in the bathroom. She claimed an old backpack of mine as a bed and stayed there until I left for work.

Wednesday night I got a (chatlog) update:

quote:

Bookwyrm: home
Bookwyrm: there were two pee marks in the litterbox, and one over by the bookshelves
Bookwyrm: no poop
JohnnyCanuck: Pee may have been from last night
JohnnyCanuck: right up against the front of the box?
Bookwyrm: yeah
JohnnyCanuck: yeah
JohnnyCanuck: Anything in the bathroom?
Bookwyrm: no
JohnnyCanuck: ok
JohnnyCanuck: is she still on my old backpack?
JohnnyCanuck: in the office?
Bookwyrm: she was in the office, but came out when I got home, so I don't know
JohnnyCanuck: how is she acting?
Bookwyrm: she pretty much demanded more canned food
JohnnyCanuck: :)
JohnnyCanuck: Is she still walking funny?
Bookwyrm: yeah

Her hind legs were still and she was walking splay-legged a lot, and mainly going in and out of our spare bedroom (where her backpack-bed was) and the hall where her food and water was.

I went to the washroom, and while I was in there, she used the litter box to urinate, which was good, and then she went to sleep for a while.

My wife and I were in the living room, talking, when all of a sudden we got the most godawful smell. Mocha had wandered in behind us, popped a squat near our bookshelves, and dropped the smelliest wetfood turd imaginable. She then wandered back into the hall beside her water dish and kinda collapsed.

I kept on petting her and calling her a good kitty, and she lay there fore a good 10 minutes, before popping up, shaking her head, meowing, and then headed back to her bed.

After that performance, I figured she'd be gone by morning.

Thursday morning, she woke me up early. By first attacking a plastic bag, then jumping up on the bed and DEMANDING attention and foooooooooooooooooood. She was still walking a little funny, but not as bad as Wednesday night.

And she took water! And used the litterbox again! (And not, as Wyrm found out when she stepped on HIDDEN CARPET PEE). She looked more hydrated - skin was snapping back much quicker when pulled at the nape of the neck, her eyes didn't look sunken. And all the meows! And small licks!

I got home Thursday night and she practically mugged me for more wet food. She jumped up and cuddled on the couch with us. She used the litterbox to poo poo and piss in! (she also pissed in front of the bookshelves again prior to us getting home, but!)

We had a cat again!

This morning she was still sassy and happy and a wetfood addict (we left kibble out as a just-in-case but she's pretty much ignoring it)...

Poop. Pee. Hork. In the litter box, beside the litter box, rooms away from the litter box. And yet we have an active and demanding kitty who doesn't seem uncomfortable at all.

Goddamn. Cats.

Kubricize
Apr 29, 2010
I just want to thank you guys for the quick replies to my question about cat heat! I'll ask the vet about shots then on Monday to see if they are available in Ontario or if they do them.

As for pictures, here are a couple of before, showing the pouch of guts and one after where she is doped up and cuddling. She's lucky she is cute and sounds more like a frog then a cat at the moment or I imagine her meowing would be more annoying. At the moment it just cracks us up. Who knows what 6 months will bring.

The bald lump is the hernia, you can also kind of see the twisting in her front legs and how her back feet look a bit weird too.

Gem and my 4 year old waiting at the vet for her x rays. They weren't sure if it was a mammary tumor or not, but given she is less than a year old, the vet didn't think it was. My sister and I noticed at the vet you could see what I assume is blood moving around in the lump, it pulsed with her heart beat and looked so gross. That swirl in the fur on her side is gone as well, half of it got pulled down to be used as skin to replace where the hernia was. Her back stripe is also noticeably pulled to the side if you look down at her.

Doped up but happy kitty.

I have a couple of more pictures of her incision, the vet wanted me to keep a log to see how it's healing and send any pictures I thought looked off to her. They are kind of gross, but interesting since it shows just what she had to do with what little skin she had left to work with if anyone wants to see those.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
FRIDAY NIGHT MOCHA UPDATE: She pissed beside the litterbox while we were at work, and waited until my wife got home to piss in front of the bookshelves again. Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

On the plus side she's being a fiend for attention and pets.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My kitty is now being weird. She has started peeing in odd places, like, hidden places. Normally when she pisses outside of the litter box it's like, right in the middle of the floor, and she's like "gently caress you" when she does it. She's still energetic, affectionate, and eating, but we're a bit concerned, because this is like 4 days straight she has hidden and peed.

So she has a vet appointment on Tuesday.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CommonShore posted:

My kitty is now being weird. She has started peeing in odd places, like, hidden places. Normally when she pisses outside of the litter box it's like, right in the middle of the floor, and she's like "gently caress you" when she does it. She's still energetic, affectionate, and eating, but we're a bit concerned, because this is like 4 days straight she has hidden and peed.

So she has a vet appointment on Tuesday.

Update. I might just be paranoid here, but I'm having trouble telling if my cat is being "lethargic" - she has sat on the couch for the whole afternoon, and is a bit less active than usual, though she's not an especially active cat in the first place. Is that "lethargic" for a cat? She also pissed more on the floor this morning than I've ever seen her piss before, and she just raided her roommate's food dish, so the :frogsiren: emergency signs of "not peeing or eating" aren't in effect.

Should I take her to emergency, or to the vet earlier than Tuesday? What should I be looking for here? I've never had to deal with a sick pet before.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Emergency vet. Don't gently caress around with possible kidney/urinary problems, because they can arise suddenly.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
While we're talking peeing issues, I've got one for you.

I have two cats, a seven-year-old female and a four-year-old male. They're both indoor cats in my apartment, and I keep two large litterboxes for them in a walk-in closet in the hallway. They're usually great about using the litterbox, but over the past couple months, the male has been peeing in random places on occasion. It's usually a pile of clothes, an open suitcase, or (just a few minutes ago) my backpack laying on the floor in the living room. I used to clean the boxes twice a week or so, but I've moved up to every night which seemed to satisfy him. Last night I went to bed without doing it and I think he's punishing me for skipping. He eats, drinks, plays, sleeps, does everything else normally. He doesn't act like he's upset or uncomfortable or anything.

The only thing I can think of that may have started this is I brought over a friend's cat for a week or so, who didn't get along with my cats and peed in my room at some point. I'd cleaned up all the pee spots and soaked everything in Nature's Miracle, and he's not picking specific spots to pee in, just anything that seems container-like. I'm at my wits' end. I don't really have the money to take him to the vet, so if there's anything I can do to solve this, I'd love to hear it.

aghastly
Nov 1, 2010

i'm an instant star
just add water and stir
Cats don't punish owners by peeing outside the box. He could be associating the box with pain, or there could be another reason other areas are more appealing.

Cats are also really good at hiding illness. He really needs to be seen by a vet to rule out any medical issues, first and foremost. That's really your only first option to tackle the problem - if he's healthy, then you might consider a third box in a super quiet, low-traffic area. The vet would probably have some suggestions, too.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

aghastly posted:

Cats don't punish owners by peeing outside the box.

I believe that's the case 99.9% of the time; however, my last cat would often pee on my slovenly husband's laundry left on the floor or bed, despite a clean bill of health. When my ex-husband became my ex-, she and I moved out and I was afraid she would continue peeing outside the box. She never did it again, even several years later as she was dying of kidney failure at 13. I realized that she must have had a grudge against him and was targeting his things. Of course, I didn't leave dirty laundry lying around to give her any ideas!

Early in the marriage a friend of his was visiting and, while sitting on the couch, idly dry-flicked a lighter as he talked. The aforementioned cat was still less than a year old and had to check out what the scratchy noise was. As she stuck her nose over the lighter, the guy engaged the flint and scorched her whiskers. He didn't do it on purpose, but she remembered that poo poo and when he came over to our next apartment a couple of years later to stay the night, she soaked his duffle bag and its contents. That's my girl!

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

aghastly posted:

Cats don't punish owners by peeing outside the box. He could be associating the box with pain, or there could be another reason other areas are more appealing.

Cats are also really good at hiding illness. He really needs to be seen by a vet to rule out any medical issues, first and foremost. That's really your only first option to tackle the problem - if he's healthy, then you might consider a third box in a super quiet, low-traffic area. The vet would probably have some suggestions, too.

Odds are that its a medical issue or litter issue.

However, I do believe that cats can be punishing their owners. When I was younger, we moved in with this guy who hated cats. More than once he hit the cat for stuff that she had been allowed to up until we moved in with him.

She started peeing and pooing out of the box not long after. Always peeing on his pillow, always pooing on his stuff.

I love cats, but they can be rear end in a top hat.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Arriviste posted:

As she stuck her nose over the lighter, the guy engaged the flint and scorched her whiskers. He didn't do it on purpose, but she remembered that poo poo and when he came over to our next apartment a couple of years later to stay the night, she soaked his duffle bag and its contents. That's my girl!

Go, cat.

Dalael posted:

More than once he hit the cat for stuff that she had been allowed to up until we moved in with him.

She started peeing and pooing out of the box not long after. Always peeing on his pillow, always pooing on his stuff.

I love cats, but they can be rear end in a top hat.

The cat is not the rear end in a top hat here.

I'm dealing with a long-term situation with a cat that has an inclination to pee inappropriately. She came from a hoarding situation and was very fearful. As far as the vet and I can tell, she pees to mark territory when she feels threatened. She's had all the tests, been on Prozac and other drugs for a little while early on, but in the end cats are little creatures that can't hold a discussion. I don't see it as attempts to punish anyone so much as attempts to communicate. I've seen her do it early on when I had a houseguest that didn't like cats, real early on when she was coming to terms with living with a stranger (me), and lately it doesn't happen at all so long as I don't leave clothes on the floor or a comforter on the bed.

Point being: the vet is convinced it is not medical, and as I changed the situation to remove temptation, and worked with her to go from her hiding from everyone to wanting to be picked up every day, her behavior has changed. In any given case, seeing a vet first is a good idea, but not every inappropriate peeing issue is medical, and I suspect if it started after a visiting cat peed outside the box first, that there's a good chance it isn't in that case. When I had that problem with a different cat, I eventually got it somewhat under control by leaving a litter box with newspapers in it. Not fun to change or smell, but better than some of his other options.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

Da Long Bao may be coming to her forever home soon, and I am super nervous. I've never owned a cat before.

I've thrown together a list of things to buy. Please let me know if there's more stuff I need to buy or if there's something that I shouldn't be buying, or if there's something I could be getting better or for a lower price. :ohdear:

I know she's going to be terrified at being separated from her family and thrust into a new and unfamiliar room. I just want to make sure I can provide for her when she feels comfortable enough to come out. She's only seven weeks old, so I hope the litterbox and food dish won't be too big for her.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
Heads up that that carrier kinda sucks. I bought that exact one and my cat ripped a hole in the seam on the first use by pushing her head against it to get out. She is 8 pounds. It lasted 20 minutes.

Rest of the list looks good, though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah just get a hard plastic carrier and toss a towel inside.

I dont really see the point of the Omega Paw litter box but I know others swear by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

Zaftig posted:

Heads up that that carrier kinda sucks. I bought that exact one and my cat ripped a hole in the seam on the first use by pushing her head against it to get out. She is 8 pounds. It lasted 20 minutes.

Wow. Thanks for the tip! Dumping that one and getting a hard carrier.