Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Quarex posted:

You can be again. "Hey guys, I ... ate all my money. Can I sleep on your floor?

Let's be real, though, I already sleep on the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Not sure how I missed the new thread but I'll be there this year too. :getin:

Any Goon-run events planned? I had a blast in the Dungeon World event last year, and if Bucnasti is going and wants to run Spirit of 77, I'd be all over that like nobody's funky business.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Peas and Rice posted:

Any Goon-run events planned? I had a blast in the Dungeon World event last year, and if Bucnasti is going and wants to run Spirit of 77, I'd be all over that like nobody's funky business.

I'm running a dungeon world game on Wednesday (I think). Based vaguely on a tangent in the Murphys thread about an insane 3.5e wizard trying to figure out the rules of their world.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Peas and Rice posted:

Is there a games on demand or open gaming setup at Gen-Con? We didn't plan any So77 events, and apparently our schedule is already pretty full, but if we have time we'll run some games.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I'm running a dungeon world game on Wednesday (I think). Based vaguely on a tangent in the Murphys thread about an insane 3.5e wizard trying to figure out the rules of their world.

Sweet, I get in sometime on Wednesday anyway, so I'd definitely be up for it.

quote:

Is there a games on demand or open gaming setup at Gen-Con? We didn't plan any So77 events, and apparently our schedule is already pretty full, but if we have time we'll run some games.

There is yeah, and you can always register events even after the deadline (IIRC the goon-run DW game last year was set up a couple of weeks after the general events opened). I think it's always more useful if you schedule in advance, so it' s in GenCon's scheduler.

I'd offer to run one myself but I'm not sure what my schedule's like yet.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Peas and Rice posted:

Sweet, I get in sometime on Wednesday anyway, so I'd definitely be up for it.

There is yeah, and you can always register events even after the deadline (IIRC the goon-run DW game last year was set up a couple of weeks after the general events opened). I think it's always more useful if you schedule in advance, so it' s in GenCon's scheduler.

I'd offer to run one myself but I'm not sure what my schedule's like yet.

I tell a lie, I was on my phone when I posted that. The event is actually on Friday at 11am!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Event list is live!

DNA Cowboys posted:

All of a sudden, I'm worried about running my silly, all-ages Costume Fairy Adventures game. Maybe if I talk about it here some good people would sign up for it instead of creepos.

I've run demos in exchange for badges and while shilling my own indie heart-breaker, but I've never run a ticketed game before. It's a first! It's also the first year I'll be attending with someone with a more balanced approach to getting a good night's sleep. My graph-paper-and-highlighter schedule of interviews and games is going to be pretty jam-packed. I'm excited.

Is this the one Friday at 1? It's the only game that pings when I search Costumed Fairy Adventures.

Double edit: There's a wedding to crash!

quote:

It's been quite a year: Derek Guder (our Gen Con event manager) proposed to Nelly Steiner at the Killer Breakfast with custom artwork. Earlier this year, he was also diagnosed with cancer and went through chemo to beat it. Come congratulate the couple on their happiness - and their conquering recovery. Stop by any time during the event to say hi. Tickets aren't required, but grab one if you want to help cover the event costs!

Len fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 11, 2015

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
The search feature seems to work marginally better this year! :woop:

Doesn't look like Arc Dream posted the Delta Green panel yet, but if it's on Saturday as well, that means I could potentially run So77 on Friday or Sunday if people dig it.

Grinspork
Jun 20, 2004

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED
As a Kickstarter backer of So77, I will attempt to try to sign up for your game until I break the event finder itself.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

There was some talk about goon-run events, mine is Starting a Podcast & Sticking With It! SEM1567950 Friday at 2:00 PM Crowne Plaza : Pennsylvania Stn A

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Argh, at work right now, hope everything good doesn't vanish :(

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Argh, at work right now, hope everything good doesn't vanish :(

Nothing can vanish until Sunday, right now the catalog is just open for browsing and adding to your wishlist. On Sunday at noon, you'll have to log in to move everything from your wish list to your cart (pending availability) and checkout to actually lock in your tickets.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm not booking too much. That fairy adventure game (I think my girlfriend would enjoy it) and an Atomic Robo game. Figure the Shadowruns and Dark Heresys (why is that the only Warham RPG system that sees a lot of events?) Will fill up crazy quick. I probably won't even get Atomic Robo.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Len posted:

Double edit: There's a wedding to crash!
Which smiley am I looking for here

I do not think there is any one to indicate the level of complexity involved in the fact that I know who both of those people are (Derek Guder is basically the Gen-Con General Manager, Nelly Steiner does video things called "Nelly's Nerdy Adventures" that I only know about because she popped up on the Forums randomly a few years back all like HELLO I AM FROM IRELAND WILL ANYONE BE MY FRIEND) and had no idea they actually knew each other until now, when I find out they are getting married, and getting married at the convention at that.

Wait, I think I found the proper face: :pram:

Look at all you filthy casuals, actually looking forward to signing up for events and enjoying the convention

Oh

Maybe I am the one doing it wrong

OH MY GOD THERE IS A LEGITIMATE TORG GAME

I swear to you, if this game fills up without me getting into it, everyone dies

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Someone is running an Archer game using DC Heroes. I feel like this is specifically targeted for me.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Another year, another lack of cribbage events! One year, I will do this. This is not the year.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Deathlove posted:

Another year, another lack of cribbage events! One year, I will do this. This is not the year.

I will totally play cribbage if someone brings a board.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Has anyone done any of the National Security Decision Making Games?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

head58 posted:

Has anyone done any of the National Security Decision Making Games?

I have not but the one Saturday at 12am is a thing I have in my wish list.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

I would sacrifice three stuffed rabbits for a list of the new board games/things being released at Gen Con.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Mr.Trifecta posted:

I would sacrifice three stuffed rabbits for a list of the new board games/things being released at Gen Con.

The BGG list usually starts twirling up in June.

saint gerald posted:

I will totally play cribbage if someone brings a board.

I always carry a board. Emergencies, you see.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Len posted:

I have not but the one Saturday at 12am is a thing I have in my wish list.

Same, although it will be after the birthday dinner/drinks at St Elmo's as recommended by this thread. What better time for a Doomsday Scenario!

Although I have a Warmachine tournament at 9am on Saturday and I'm Old so this may be a Very Bad Idea.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I've played NSDM, both in a FastPlay Cold War scenario (I was the Israeli Ambassador to the Warsaw Pact.) and in a previous Doomsday Scenario (I was the Pakistani Director of Intelligence, and caught my Secretary of State spying for someone else.).

It's pretty entertaining, and they give the less complicated roles to people who haven't done it before, but there isn't really ever a briefing or anything on "how to do things." You just have to ask and/or just submit an item that says you're trying.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

head58 posted:

Same, although it will be after the birthday dinner/drinks at St Elmo's as recommended by this thread. What better time for a Doomsday Scenario!

Although I have a Warmachine tournament at 9am on Saturday and I'm Old so this may be a Very Bad Idea.

Midnight Saturday? You can bet your rear end I won't be sober either.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Drunk Goons: Nuking places we can't pronounce since 2015!

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

CellBlock posted:

I've played NSDM, both in a FastPlay Cold War scenario (I was the Israeli Ambassador to the Warsaw Pact.) and in a previous Doomsday Scenario (I was the Pakistani Director of Intelligence, and caught my Secretary of State spying for someone else.).

It's pretty entertaining, and they give the less complicated roles to people who haven't done it before, but there isn't really ever a briefing or anything on "how to do things." You just have to ask and/or just submit an item that says you're trying.

NSDM is a shitload of fun. One year, I got to carry the nuclear football as we tried to provoke the DPRK into coming south of the 38th parallel so we could bomb 'em. After the game, the DPRK players told us that they'd spotted our stealth bomber wings moving into position and knew they'd be toast if they crossed, so they called off their plans. They also had to deal with an assassination when the Dear Leader left the room (flew out of the country).

In another game, they killed Castro on us. The whole game, the CIA player was looking smug as hell. We found out at the end that Castro had died of an actual, natural heart attack, and the CIA just took the credit.

I'd highly recommend doing one of their fastplay games to start, just to get a feel for the thing. The rules are pretty loose, and the coordinators are very used to gamers and their weird plans, so don't be afraid to ask questions and try stupid poo poo. The worst that will happen is you'll be the POTUS and have to fend off hourly impeachment attempts. :v:

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Jedi425 posted:

NSDM is a shitload of fun. One year, I got to carry the nuclear football as we tried to provoke the DPRK into coming south of the 38th parallel so we could bomb 'em. After the game, the DPRK players told us that they'd spotted our stealth bomber wings moving into position and knew they'd be toast if they crossed, so they called off their plans. They also had to deal with an assassination when the Dear Leader left the room (flew out of the country).

In another game, they killed Castro on us. The whole game, the CIA player was looking smug as hell. We found out at the end that Castro had died of an actual, natural heart attack, and the CIA just took the credit.

I'd highly recommend doing one of their fastplay games to start, just to get a feel for the thing. The rules are pretty loose, and the coordinators are very used to gamers and their weird plans, so don't be afraid to ask questions and try stupid poo poo. The worst that will happen is you'll be the POTUS and have to fend off hourly impeachment attempts. :v:

In my Cold War game, the Israeli Prime Minister actually quoted Hitler (claimed we needed some "living space" when announcing his plan for us to take the West Bank and the Golan Heights), and a nuke was smuggled into the US from the USSR, aided by a sitting US Senator, and detonated in Atlanta. (The Senator wanted to recall all the troops from overseas and decided that bringing the war home was the way to do that.)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

You guys certainly are making me more sure I want to try and get into a game of these.

Does anyone know how buying people tickets works? Like if I buy tickets for me and my girlfriend and she decides she doesn't want to go can I just give someone else her ticket or will they be sticklers and name check?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
They usually don't check names but could. You can also return any ticket up to 30 minutes before the event for a refund less either 3% or 5%.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Len posted:

You guys certainly are making me more sure I want to try and get into a game of these.

Does anyone know how buying people tickets works? Like if I buy tickets for me and my girlfriend and she decides she doesn't want to go can I just give someone else her ticket or will they be sticklers and name check?

If they're generics they're basically hard currency. If you swap tickets with someone you're pretty much fine, I've done several events under friends names because someone was hung over / etc.

e: something else to know - most event runners will let you sneak a friend or two into the event on generics so if your group of 5 gets 4 tickets have the 5th person bring some generics and ask. Both games my friends have run and pretty much half the games I've done I've seen this happen.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

That's good. This is her first Gencon and before we started dating last year she hadn't ever played any sort of boardgame/RPG unless it was something for Walmart/Toys R Us. I plan to get us both tickets to things but if she decides it isn't something she wants to do I'd like to just enlist one of the other people going with us rather than go solo.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
My first year going, pretty drat excited. Gotta bunch of events in my wish list but I'm thinking about leaving one day wide open.

I'll maybe seek out some goons for gaming - I'm going with a group of 5 or so but we're planning on going basically solo and regrouping at night.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Definitely give yourself a day, preferably thursday or Friday, with a large block to go through the vendor hall. Auction time is great too.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Jedi425 posted:

This all sounds amazing and I am now going to give this a shot. I have no idea what I will be doing/maybe drunk while doing so.

Edit: Holy crap, 4 hours. Hmm, need to think on this if I plan to do it.

Mr.Trifecta fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 13, 2015

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Admin Understudy posted:

My first year going, pretty drat excited. Gotta bunch of events in my wish list but I'm thinking about leaving one day wide open.

I'll maybe seek out some goons for gaming - I'm going with a group of 5 or so but we're planning on going basically solo and regrouping at night.

My rule of thumb has always been no more than 2 scheduled events per day or 6 hours for said events. This gives enough time to just check stuff out, meet up with people, get food, etc. Besides some of my best moments are from just finding random people or Goons and doing something.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Also make sure that you take into account travel time, as some events are in neighboring hotels.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

We could try and pick a NSDM game and make that the Goon game. It would either go wonderfully or terribly.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Len posted:

We could try and pick a NSDM game and make that the Goon game. It would either go wonderfully or terribly.

This is an outstanding idea. Especially if we can build in drinking somehow.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
My plan is to drag my board games around and randomly jack people to play complicated cube-pushers.

I was contemplating the possibility of making an event for one of these said crazy games, but I can' say what I'd really want to commit to making an event out of rather than just keeping around for backup.

Admin Understudy posted:

Admin iirc you play crazy stuff like Splotter games, Arkwright, etc. right? If you ever want to take a break from touring crazy GenCon stuff for crazy board game plays; I'm planning on bringing suitcases worth of complex games....

I never learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Go and just enjoy! Honestly, the best board game I came across at Gen Con last year was Tragedy Looper. Never heard of it before and it looked like they got some animes in my boardgames, but I was tired of waiting an hour for a Dead of Winter demo and there were two open seats - one for me and one for my now-fiancee.

It just blew me away. Easily the best new boardgame at the con, in my opinion, and I just stumbled across it by luck.

• Locked thread